Drainage Tests Inundate Rice Field In Thailand's Old Capital Ayutthaya

webfact

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As with most here I have enjoyed sticking pins in this hot air balloon of a government but I wonder if we are really pointing at the appropriate target. Since it is the practice inThailand of playing Musical Ministers (well, Musical Everybody in a position of authority) every six months or so, what chance has any Minister got of really getting to grips with his/her portfolio? Are they not reliant upon the facts and advice supplied by their technical 'experts' and the so highly vaunted and respected academics? Would it not be the case, given Thailand's cockeyed education system, that not only do the Ministers not know what they are about but that also applies to their advisors? I would enjoy the event of Plodprasop being demoted to something relevant like the Ministry for Happy Toilets but would his replacement be any improvement? Would the flood situation be sorted then? I doubt it. All it would mean would we would have another football to play with.

This country needs an injection of a great deal of radical, logical and modern thought in many areas, not just the control, and hopefully prevention, of floods. God only knows where it may be found, and if taken on board, would good advice be followed?

Let Bangkok flood!! It might finally flush most of the shit in this country out to sea where most of it goes eventually! Build a capital city on a swamp land to begin with and it will slowly revert back to its orginal state over time. I guess instead of an foreign army sacking the old capital cities, this time it is mother nature! Who will get the blame this time?

More than 1,000 rai of paddy field was flooded Wednesday as the water level rose one metre higher than the Chao Phraya river

The abrupt flooding was apparently a result of the government’s three-day drainage tests

oopsies

Dont worry each family affected will get a shiny new tablet to eat and 500 baht for damages.

Maybe they could offer them a slightly damaged Ferrari...only 1 owner

Come on please get a life, why the hell do you live here?

Plodprasob, start packing now... You have now made enough damage. Or did you forget to switch on the propellers from the long tail boats in the canals?

Time for a change. Yingluck, what are big brother's comments?

There's water, in the paddy fields, in the rainy season.

FK me, we're doomed.........

Doomed, I tell you.

Plodprasop is a chump among chumps.

If his remarkable ability to screw everything up were unique in this cabinet, they could replace him with someone more suitable.

Unfortunately he couldn't run a bath without calamitous results and he, along with his colleagues, are the creme de la creme of the PTP.

Doomed is ahead

But, he earns more than you?

Plodprasob, start packing now... You have now made enough damage. Or did you forget to switch on the propellers from the long tail boats in the canals?

Time for a change. Yingluck, what are big brother's comments?

There's water, in the paddy fields, in the rainy season.

FK me, we're doomed.........

Doomed, I tell you.

Plodprasop is a chump among chumps.

If his remarkable ability to screw everything up were unique in this cabinet, they could replace him with someone more suitable.

Unfortunately he couldn't run a bath without calamitous results and he, along with his colleagues, are the creme de la creme of the PTP.

Doomed is ahead

But, he earns more than you?

Define "earns"!

• Like 1

As with most here I have enjoyed sticking pins in this hot air balloon of a government but I wonder if we are really pointing at the appropriate target. Since it is the practice inThailand of playing Musical Ministers (well, Musical Everybody in a position of authority) every six months or so, what chance has any Minister got of really getting to grips with his/her portfolio? Are they not reliant upon the facts and advice supplied by their technical 'experts' and the so highly vaunted and respected academics? Would it not be the case, given Thailand's cockeyed education system, that not only do the Ministers not know what they are about but that also applies to their advisors? I would enjoy the event of Plodprasop being demoted to something relevant like the Ministry for Happy Toilets but would his replacement be any improvement? Would the flood situation be sorted then? I doubt it. All it would mean would we would have another football to play with.

This country needs an injection of a great deal of radical, logical and modern thought in many areas, not just the control, and hopefully prevention, of floods. God only knows where it may be found, and if taken on board, would good advice be followed?

I have to agree this, and your comment reminds me of an article in the Post a few years ago. A minister in a previous government was asked about Bangkok's preparedness for global warming, ice-melt, sea level rise. His response was that Thailand was far enough away from Antartica that seas level rises would not affect BKK. Then I wondered how this slipped the journalist and the editor, and then I realised they were both doing the world a favour by printing his comments. Here we are 2 governments later, just a different bunch of kids playing with sluice gates. And fighting about it as well .....

But I must say it is entertaining if nothing else!!

Amazing....... probably less than 50 landowners affected on differing scale.........you guys are salivating at a minor incident.....how sad.....

Well done the government because if that is all the damage then looks like things are improving.......

Edited by 473geo

Ok this is my last post today on the "flooding issue" it's saturated enough already cheesy.gif sorry couldn't resist that one !!

But to close this post with an open question:

What has this government & King kanute got in common ??

Answers on a soggy postcard please....

Do I have to lick the stamp?cheesy.gif

Let Bangkok flood!! It might finally flush most of the shit in this country out to sea where most of it goes eventually! Build a capital city on a swamp land to begin with and it will slowly revert back to its orginal state over time. I guess instead of an foreign army sacking the old capital cities, this time it is mother nature! Who will get the blame this time?

I take it you was not in Bangkok during last years flooding?sad.png Edited by Skywalker69

I thought that was what Thaksin claimed to be... the end all and the prophecy with the "answer" to all that was and is wrong with Thailand. Any of you Mr. T supporters care to jump in on this one? I mean, after all, he has had the helm through his twit of a sister and ignoramus cronies for well over a year now and things seem to be rapidly spiraling down the drain. Anyone?... anyone?!!... I didn't think so.

I thought that was what Thaksin claimed to be... the end all and the prophecy with the "answer" to all that was and is wrong with Thailand. Any of you Mr. T supporters care to jump in on this one? I mean, after all, he has had the helm through his twit of a sister and ignoramus cronies for well over a year now and things seem to be rapidly spiraling down the drain. Anyone?... anyone?!!... I didn't think so.

"rapidly spiraling down the drain"

Except that the drain appears to be blocked ... tee hee ! laugh.png

Because it does not seem to be, that the country is rapidly spiraling down the drain.........

Bangkok has traditionally flooded at 5 year intervals. Last year was bad, but it wasn't exceptional rainfall. Wait a few years, and things should get even more interesting.

And if Thaksin tries to enter the conversation (pumping water from Bkk to Issan, was one of his bright ideas) give him a cappicino and tell him to wait outside the door.

If it would not be a big hit for farmers in this region it would be really funny...

Besides the sex trade and corruption, rice is sure a major fundation of the thai economy.

So, then let's go and destroy it?!

And by the way, in Bangkok it may be good if from time to time a flood wash out the dirt....remmeber Sodom & Gomora...

The operation chief of the government's water drainage test has denied reports that the current flooding in Ayutthaya is the result of the test that started on Wednesday.

Royol Chitradon said the flooding in the province was caused by heavy rains.

A little common sense might have suggested that if there are heavy rains expected all over Thailand, then this was NOT the best time to be testing the drainage system by adding even MORE water into it.

The operation chief of the government's water drainage test has denied reports that the current flooding in Ayutthaya is the result of the test that started on Wednesday.

A little common sense might have suggested that if there are heavy rains expected all over Thailand, then this was NOT the best time to be testing the drainage system by adding even MORE water into it.

That rainwater is probably something that has entered Thailand from abroad, so it's foreign water, obviously totally irrelevant to a flood testing with Thai water whistling.gif

WATER DRAINAGE TEST

Flooding in Ayutthaya unrelated to water drainage test: Royol

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The operation chief of the government's water drainage test has denied reports that the current flooding in Ayutthaya is the result of the test that started on Wednesday.

Do I understand this correct?

The drainage works have been a success,but only if it rains in specified places.

Edited by jbrain

As a quick weather update, I don't think the situation in Ayutthaya is going to improve soon. It is absolutely p1ssing down up here in Phitsanulok, so give it two or three days for its trip to Nakon Suwan and then down to Bkk and you will have a lot more water to contend with.

That is assuming that it wasn't just localized weather conditions that caused the 1,000 rai of land to flood...............thumbsup.gif

Bangkok flood drainage tests satisfying

BANGKOK, 6 September 2010 (NNT) – Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has indicated the government’s flood drainage test on the western side of Bangkok yesterday produced a better-than-expected result.

Speaking to the press, the Prime Minister said the machines that were introduced to help push excessive canal water to the Gulf of Thailand really strengthened the efficiency of the draining system and would thus be used again in the second test to be conducted on Friday (7 September) on the eastern side of Bangkok.

Meanwhile, Royol Chitradon, the Director of the Hydro and Agro Informatics Institute and member of the government Strategic Committee for Water Resource Management (SCWRM), also expressed satisfaction over the result of yesterday’s flood drainage test, saying watergates along the canals in the test zone worked smoothly, enabling officials involved to maintain the level of water at every risk point. He mentioned that the water driving system along Thawi Watthana Canal had worked with great efficiency.

Minister of Science and Technology Plodprasop Suraswadi, in his capacity as Chairman of the Water and Flood Management Committee, said that he was also pleased with the drainage test which went well despite rainfalls.

He said the test showed the flood release system along Thawi Watthana Canal still needs some adjustments as flood embankments on both canal banks could subside unless future dredging of the canal to allow greater flow of water is done properly with support to the riverbed and banks. The minister said he was confident that with successful flood drainage tests on both sides of Bangkok, the capital will be definitely saved from floods.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-09-06 footer_n.gif

If it would not be a big hit for farmers in this region it would be really funny...

Besides the sex trade and corruption, rice is sure a major fundation of the thai economy.

So, then let's go and destroy it?!

And by the way, in Bangkok it may be good if from time to time a flood wash out the dirt....remmeber Sodom & Gomora...

Rice is a major "foundation" of the Thai economy, and they are paying billions of Baht per year to prop it up? About time for some renovations, don't you think?