Drainage Tests Inundate Rice Field In Thailand's Old Capital Ayutthaya

webfact

WATER DRAINAGE TEST

Flooding in Ayutthaya unrelated to water drainage test: Royol

The Nation

30189803-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The operation chief of the government's water drainage test has denied reports that the current flooding in Ayutthaya is the result of the test that started on Wednesday.

Royol Chitradon said the flooding in the province was caused by heavy rains.

The areas under water are not on the route of the test, he said. Royol is the director of the Hydro and Agro Informatics Institute (HAII) and a member of the National Water Resources and Flood Policy Committee.

He was responding to reports in the government-run Thai News Agency that more than 1,000 rai of paddy field in the "rice bowl" province of Ayutthaya was flooded Wednesday as the water level rose one metre higher than the Chao Phraya river.

It was said that this was possibly a result of the government's three-day water drainage test that started today.

Suparerk Klankla, an official in Ayutthaya's Bang Pa-in district, said farmers had to urgently harvest paddy in their flooded rice fields, or it would be severely damaged.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-09-05

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WATER DRAINAGE TEST

Flooding in Ayutthaya unrelated to water drainage test: Royol

The Nation

30189803-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The operation chief of the government's water drainage test has denied reports that the current flooding in Ayutthaya is the result of the test that started on Wednesday.

The areas under water are not on the route of the test, he said. Royol is the director of the Hydro and Agro Informatics Institute (HAII) and a member of the National Water Resources and Flood Policy Committee.

He was responding to reports in the government-run Thai News Agency that more than 1,000 rai of paddy field in the "rice bowl" province of Ayutthaya was flooded Wednesday as the water level rose one metre higher than the Chao Phraya river.

It was said that this was possibly a result of the government's three-day water drainage test that started today.

Suparerk Klankla, an official in Ayutthaya's Bang Pa-in district, said farmers had to urgently harvest paddy in their flooded rice fields, or it would be severely damaged.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-09-05

And the original report came from who? MCOT. I guess they were too tied up to call the GOVERNMENT about what was going on? So which is it.

One government mouth piece says it was caused by the tests, another says not. Bravo for managing the media on this one.

• Like 1

Probably unfair to ask, but in a way wasn't last year's flooding due to heavy rains as well? Does this suggest that we have a new water catchment area, with only due to a slight miscommunication people not informed? Or maybe some flood defence walls 'almost' completed still had a wee bit of a gap?

How long does the water take from Ayutthaya to Bangkok?

Edited by rubl
  • Like 1

The reality is that dispite (finally) starting a PR offencive to upgrade the image of farming in Thailand, this is what realy matters, the livelyhood of rice farmers is endangered without proper notice.

It shows once again the the PR show ap erson is far more importent then the backbone of the nation.....RICE FARMERS.

" the backbone of the nation" - I think you are a little high.

Plodprasob, start packing now... You have now made enough damage. Or did you forget to switch on the propellers from the long tail boats in the canals?

Time for a change. Yingluck, what are big brother's comments?

The law of gravity is certainly different in Thailand, you can push s**t uphill but apparently not water..

That's why Plodprasob needs the long tail boats to turn their propellers in the good direction... cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

They apparently forgot they were supposed to test flood control not how well they can flood. Guess the concept of computer simulation is beyond them.

Well I have little love for the government, but computer simulation won't work if your data are complete bogus....Like canals on the map, which are filled and are golf fields in real life, but no one speaks about.

Theoretical put 30 % of the maximum capacity in the system and look what happens isn't a bad idea.

But I doubt that it will be a controlled 30 % test. Either they let in too much water to blame the governor. Or they put in an amount of water they don't know (I guess it isn't easy if everything is connected and it is also raining at the same time.

Plodprasob, start packing now... You have now made enough damage. Or did you forget to switch on the propellers from the long tail boats in the canals?

There's water, in the paddy fields, in the rainy season.

FK me, we're doomed.........

Doomed, I tell you.

• Like 2

More than 1,000 rai of paddy field was flooded Wednesday as the water level rose one metre higher than the Chao Phraya river

The abrupt flooding was apparently a result of the government’s three-day drainage tests

oopsies

Dont worry each family affected will get a shiny new tablet to eat and 500 baht for damages.

wai.gif

Thai experts have failed but nothing new to report. Keep in mind this was only a test that was being controlled but at least it gives manufacturing a good look at what could happen again. ''Water level in the canal was reportedly higher than usual Wednesday.'' never mind it will be a lot lower when it rains. giggle.gif

Tomorrow's Headline

Science Minister blames presence of jet ski up river in test area for yesterdays flood

If true, we might have another headline tomorrow

Dept. PM Pol. Captain Chalerm finished driving jet sky mafia from Phuket
smile.png
  • Like 1

Ok this is my last post today on the "flooding issue" it's saturated enough already cheesy.gif sorry couldn't resist that one !!

But to close this post with an open question:

What has this government & King kanute got in common ??

Answers on a soggy postcard please....

They are both dead, but alas, in the case of the Thai Government only from the neck upwards.

Sorry, I'm right out of soggy postcards.

Well in all fairness, I'm nowhere near this area, but Saturday night it rained hard. Our field was flooded and some were some of the neighbors. It took about 12 hours to go down for them, about 4 for us as our paddy area is much higher. Flooded across some major 4 lane roads as well. Caused by heavy rain only. Some fields that were bone dry with dying rice are 1 foot deep in water. And our water had somewhere to go, unlike some along the highway where it went.

There's water, in the paddy fields, in the rainy season.

FK me, we're doomed.........

Doomed, I tell you.

Plodprasop is a chump among chumps.

If his remarkable ability to screw everything up were unique in this cabinet, they could replace him with someone more suitable.

Unfortunately he couldn't run a bath without calamitous results and he, along with his colleagues, are the creme de la creme of the PTP.

Doomed is ahead

• Like 1