Drainage Tests Inundate Rice Field In Thailand's Old Capital Ayutthaya

webfact

I live a bit upstream from there and the water in the river has been rising all week it is now over 7m above what it was two weekends ago and is still at that leavel this morning.

I suspect this was not because of rain but because some dams were opened to release the water for the test.

Yet the local klong is almost empty in spite of a lot of overnight rain probably because the gate from the river at the top has been closed to keep the water in the river.

If this water was meant to be part of the drainage test then I can tell them it hasnt got there yet.

We wait to see.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bangkok flood drainage tests satisfying

BANGKOK, 6 September 2010 (NNT) – Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has indicated the government’s flood drainage test on the western side of Bangkok yesterday produced a better-than-expected result.

Had they expected to flood more of Ayuthhaya than they did?

• Like 1

As with most here I have enjoyed sticking pins in this hot air balloon of a government but I wonder if we are really pointing at the appropriate target. Since it is the practice inThailand of playing Musical Ministers (well, Musical Everybody in a position of authority) every six months or so, what chance has any Minister got of really getting to grips with his/her portfolio? Are they not reliant upon the facts and advice supplied by their technical 'experts' and the so highly vaunted and respected academics? Would it not be the case, given Thailand's cockeyed education system, that not only do the Ministers not know what they are about but that also applies to their advisors? I would enjoy the event of Plodprasop being demoted to something relevant like the Ministry for Happy Toilets but would his replacement be any improvement? Would the flood situation be sorted then? I doubt it. All it would mean would we would have another football to play with.

This country needs an injection of a great deal of radical, logical and modern thought in many areas, not just the control, and hopefully prevention, of floods. God only knows where it may be found, and if taken on board, would good advice be followed?

I thought that was what Thaksin claimed to be... the end all and the prophecy with the "answer" to all that was and is wrong with Thailand. Any of you Mr. T supporters care to jump in on this one? I mean, after all, he has had the helm through his twit of a sister and ignoramus cronies for well over a year now and things seem to be rapidly spiraling down the drain. Anyone?... anyone?!!... I didn't think so.

Because it does not seem to be, that the country is rapidly spiraling down the drain.........

Ignorance is Bliss.

"Mr. Royol Chitradon, the Director of the Hydro and Agro Informatics Institute and member of the government Strategic Committee for Water Resource Management (SCWRM) also denied reports that the flooding in Ayutthaya resulted from the test. "The Ayutthaya flood was the result of heavy rain. The areas under water are not on the test's route," he said."

Will it be investigated if the test route maybe interfered with the rainwater and made it a wee bit more difficult to drain therefor flooding rice fields?

"Mr. Royol Chitradon, the Director of the Hydro and Agro Informatics Institute and member of the government Strategic Committee for Water Resource Management (SCWRM) also denied reports that the flooding in Ayutthaya resulted from the test. "The Ayutthaya flood was the result of heavy rain. The areas under water are not on the test's route," he said."

Will it be investigated if the test route maybe interfered with the rainwater and made it a wee bit more difficult to drain therefor flooding rice fields?

No doubt they were at least a couple of kilometres from the nearest drainage channel, so absolutely no way to be connected?

But were the tests immediately cancelled as a fail, or was that part of the plan?cheesy.gif Will be interesting to watch the accusations and back and forth on this one.

Meantime I am going to stock up on drinking water, food etc. I think the jury is back in on how well the flood alleviation measures are proceeding.w00t.gif

Cheers

Remember where you are and keep in mind that no one ever accepts responsibility. My guess would be "It's the democrats fault". "Yeah, That's the ticket".

But were the tests immediately cancelled as a fail, or was that part of the plan?cheesy.gif Will be interesting to watch the accusations and back and forth on this one.

Meantime I am going to stock up on drinking water, food etc. I think the jury is back in on how well the flood alleviation measures are proceeding.w00t.gif

Cheer

it rains in bangkok for less than 1 hour and streets are still flooded. (even sukhumvit main areas where they have been doing 'drainage work' for over a month already) and it floods in less than an hour. the city is hopeless against a flood!

i feel sorry for Ayuthaya being a 'testing ground' - and pretty lame how the government acts without brains... (at least western governments are slightly better at fooling its people and covering up stuff!)

As with most here I have enjoyed sticking pins in this hot air balloon of a government but I wonder if we are really pointing at the appropriate target. Since it is the practice inThailand of playing Musical Ministers (well, Musical Everybody in a position of authority) every six months or so, what chance has any Minister got of really getting to grips with his/her portfolio? Are they not reliant upon the facts and advice supplied by their technical 'experts' and the so highly vaunted and respected academics? Would it not be the case, given Thailand's cockeyed education system, that not only do the Ministers not know what they are about but that also applies to their advisors? I would enjoy the event of Plodprasop being demoted to something relevant like the Ministry for Happy Toilets but would his replacement be any improvement? Would the flood situation be sorted then? I doubt it. All it would mean would we would have another football to play with.

This country needs an injection of a great deal of radical, logical and modern thought in many areas, not just the control, and hopefully prevention, of floods. God only knows where it may be found, and if taken on board, would good advice be followed?

I thought that was what Thaksin claimed to be... the end all and the prophecy with the "answer" to all that was and is wrong with Thailand. Any of you Mr. T supporters care to jump in on this one? I mean, after all, he has had the helm through his twit of a sister and ignoramus cronies for well over a year now and things seem to be rapidly spiraling down the drain. Anyone?... anyone?!!... I didn't think so.

Because it does not seem to be, that the country is rapidly spiraling down the drain.........

Ignorance is Bliss.

How so then ????

Can you be specific o'knowledgeable one ?

Exactly how is the country "rapidly spiraling down the drain........."

Give us a few examples and some evidence.

How so then ????

I think it started when Thaksin pulled the plug..............anticlockwise in this hemisphere.

Nicely unanswered, even predictable.

Thank you for taking the time to express yourself so well.

**** deleted some comments from yeeowww and Bagwan****

How so then ????

-Educational standards: http://www.tdri.or.th/download/news/nnt2012_02_16.pdf

-Household Debt: http://thaifinancialpost.com/2012/05/29/nesdb-employment-rate-lowered-but-household-debts-increase-in-2012/

-Press Freedom (ouch Miss Yngluck!!!) http://en.rsf.org/press-freedom-index-2011-2012,1043.html

-Corruption: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/570607-corruption-in-thailand-worsens-over-first-six-months-survey/

-Wild life traifficking: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/15/thailand-wildlife-trafficking_n_1778497.html

-Low EQ in kids and some posters of Thaivisa: http://www.talent-technologies.com/new/2012/08/emotional-quotient-thailand-eq/

-Rising food prices and inflation:http://www.unescap.org/publications/detail.asp?id=1426

I am sure I could make this list endless, but what is sure is that this government is NOT doing a good job!

Educational standards ?? Always have been abysmal, how have they gone down in the last year ?

Household debt, rising year by year for the last 20 years and a natural consequence of Thai consumerism.

Press freedom, debatable point, given that there has never been press freedom in Thailand. but probably fewer journalists have been shot during the tenure of the current government.

Wildlife trafficking, no significant change in the last 14 months, I would suggest.

Your not suggesting the PM is in the Pangolin business are you ?

Low IQ of Thai kids, some TV posters and the Irish. That's a given.

Food, like booze, petrol, gold and the price of things we can't talk about, rarely goes down in price over time, anywhere in the world.

You allege the government is not doing a good job.

I would assert that the overall mood of the country is a lot better now than it was over the preceding 4-5 years.

But that is my subjective opinion.

I guess that leaves out that good old boat prop wash diversion technique! No worries put your claim in at your local Thai government office and pray like hell you see some compensation in your lifetime.

"compensation in your lifetime"

Perhaps it might help, to offer a suitable commission to the nice local-government officer, or perhaps the funds have already been diverted ? laugh.png

More than 1,000 rai of paddy field was flooded Wednesday as the water level rose one metre higher than the Chao Phraya river

The abrupt flooding was apparently a result of the government’s three-day drainage tests

oopsies

Dont worry each family affected will get a shiny new tablet to eat and 500 baht for damages.

Maybe they could offer them a slightly damaged Ferrari...only 1 owner

I think not.... That Farrari FF has some bad Karma

...This country needs an injection of a great deal of radical, logical and modern thought in many areas, not just the control, and hopefully prevention, of floods. God only knows where it may be found, and if taken on board, would good advice be followed?

How so then ????

It's not for me to have to school you. If you spent less time on this forum (approx 1,900 posts) and got out and interacted with the people you might see what's happening in the real world.

I think rather the burden of proof should be yours o'confident one. Please give us a few examples and some evidence as to how things have gotten better under Thaksin's current tenure as Chief of Thailand. 'Cause from my perspective, things aren't looking too rosey.

Edited by yeeowww
  • Like 2

Cheers

Remember where you are and keep in mind that no one ever accepts responsibility. My guess would be "It's the democrats fault". "Yeah, That's the ticket".

Come back in a few years, and the reds will be claiming the Dems were in power when the floods happened

Are you trying to say that the test route in the west of Bangkok slowed down the water enough to back up 80kms to flood rice fields in Ayutthaya? If you read the other paper you'll get a slightly better explanation on what was happening.

There's grasping at straws to find something, anything wrong with this government and there is desperation. I'll leave you to think where you were going with that line of questioning.

Ozmicks suggestion that they were going to "test the speed increase from boat propellers? How about some results? SFA perhaps" was a bit out of tune with reality. Apparently the 16 water pushing machines lowered the canal level from 30 cm to 20 cm above msl and had increased the flow rate so that in future they will not have to shut the sluice gates to prevent flooding, just leave them open and pump away.

So it does appear that in the case of draining the west side of Bangkok at least has been a success, not that I expect many people on here to acknowledge that......................

So it does appear that in the case of draining the west side of Bangkok at least has been a success, not that I expect many people on here to acknowledge that......................

Not that I know much of water management, but I would like to know how much water they send through the system.Was this a valid and reliable test, or just a nice PR opportunity for guys like you to brag about?

...This country needs an injection of a great deal of radical, logical and modern thought in many areas, not just the control, and hopefully prevention, of floods. God only knows where it may be found, and if taken on board, would good advice be followed?

How so then ????

It's not for me to have to school you. If you spent less time on this forum (approx 1,900 posts) and got out and interacted with the people you might see what's happening in the real world.

I think rather the burden of proof should be yours o'confident one. Please give us a few examples and some evidence as to how things have gotten better under Thaksin's current tenure as Chief of Thailand. 'Cause from my perspective, things aren't looking too rosey.

Er......but......er.....It's you who made the allegation and therefore incumbent on you to support it or defend it, and it seems you cannot.

What is happening in the real world ??

I'm too busy on ThaiVisa to really know.

Please tell me more.

How so then ????

Er......but......er.....It's you who made the allegation and therefore incumbent on you to support it or defend it, and it seems you cannot.

What is happening in the real world ??

I'm too busy on ThaiVisa to really know.

Please tell me more.

Evasive and Lame reply...

Others have already addressed that. (i.e. Reply 102)

No, my original question was criticizing Thaksin for being a lamebrain and wondering why he hasn't done anything significant since taking the reins, and then asking his supporters to come to his defense. And of course not a single intelligent reply has posted. Nor has anyone come to defend or back up what the government has done to fix the problems plaguing this country which they so pompously grandstanded to be elected. Instead you choose to back off and just turn it around. As I thought...

So I ask again... <deleted> have these bumbling fools accomplished so far after promising an extremely better life with Thaksin back in office?

Edited by yeeowww

Are you trying to say that the test route in the west of Bangkok slowed down the water enough to back up 80kms to flood rice fields in Ayutthaya? If you read the other paper you'll get a slightly better explanation on what was happening.

There's grasping at straws to find something, anything wrong with this government and there is desperation. I'll leave you to think where you were going with that line of questioning.

Ozmicks suggestion that they were going to "test the speed increase from boat propellers? How about some results? SFA perhaps" was a bit out of tune with reality. Apparently the 16 water pushing machines lowered the canal level from 30 cm to 20 cm above msl and had increased the flow rate so that in future they will not have to shut the sluice gates to prevent flooding, just leave them open and pump away.

Do you ever read a post before replying, or is this one of your usual knee-jerk 'defend the government at all costs' ones?

I'm not suggesting anything. I only know that somehow water for the tests was said to have been 'reserved' below Chai Nat dam. The OP mentions

"It was reported that water was released into the Rapipat irrigation canal from the Rama VI Dam.

The Rapipat canal on the eastern side of the river is a pass-through for water from the North to Bangkok. Water level in the canal was reportedly higher than usual Wednesday."

Now since I have a map (a.o. ThinkNet MapMagic Bangkok + 7 nearby provinces 2008) I can look up a lot and try to figure out, but I won't be sure. 'Insufficient Data' it's called. That why I ask, for meaningful data, not for accusations. Did that test water interfere with natural flows which might already be somewhat increasing due to heavy rainfall?

As for 'successful test' (which is not part of the OP), somehow water from up North was redirected to Western Bangkok and all went well. Now that some may call successful, others would like a wee bit more of an explanation as to how relevant this test was, apart from showing water flows?

Rubl, rice paddies are not built to drain, they are in most cases built to hold water this is the natural way the Thai grow rice. It rains heavily the water collects and is retained in the paddies, the rice grows. Heavy rainfall = full paddies.

Rubl, rice paddies are not built to drain, they are in most cases built to hold water this is the natural way the Thai grow rice. It rains heavily the water collects and is retained in the paddies, the rice grows. Heavy rainfall = full paddies.

OK, understood. Mind you the OP suggests that the water might have come from canals and not rainfall on the paddies now flooded.

"It was reported that water was released into the Rapipat irrigation canal from the Rama VI Dam."

Very full paddies = 1 meter high = heavy rain or the new deluge ?wink.png