Drainage Tests Inundate Rice Field In Thailand's Old Capital Ayutthaya

webfact

"Mr. Royol Chitradon, the Director of the Hydro and Agro Informatics Institute and member of the government Strategic Committee for Water Resource Management (SCWRM) also denied reports that the flooding in Ayutthaya resulted from the test. "The Ayutthaya flood was the result of heavy rain. The areas under water are not on the test's route," he said."

Will it be investigated if the test route maybe interfered with the rainwater and made it a wee bit more difficult to drain therefor flooding rice fields?

Rubl, rice paddies are not built to drain, they are in most cases built to hold water this is the natural way the Thai grow rice. It rains heavily the water collects and is retained in the paddies, the rice grows. Heavy rainfall = full paddies.

OK, understood. Mind you the OP suggests that the water might have come from canals and not rainfall on the paddies now flooded.

"It was reported that water was released into the Rapipat irrigation canal from the Rama VI Dam."

Very full paddies = 1 meter high = heavy rain or the new deluge ?wink.png

You have to be there Rubl, I have witnessed 1 meter deep paddies fill from dry with one day of heavy rain

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But were the tests immediately cancelled as a fail, or was that part of the plan?cheesy.gif Will be interesting to watch the accusations and back and forth on this one.

Meantime I am going to stock up on drinking water, food etc. I think the jury is back in on how well the flood alleviation measures are proceeding.w00t.gif

Cheer

it rains in bangkok for less than 1 hour and streets are still flooded. (even sukhumvit main areas where they have been doing 'drainage work' for over a month already) and it floods in less than an hour. the city is hopeless against a flood!

i feel sorry for Ayuthaya being a 'testing ground' - and pretty lame how the government acts without brains... (at least western governments are slightly better at fooling its people and covering up stuff!)

Well building a city in what was reeds, marshes and frogs brings some unique challenges. Which doofus had that idea?

CTRL + Q to Enable/Disable GoPhoto.it

Now they can claim taxpayer's funds as compensation for the taxpayer's funds subsidy that they didn't receive?

Why are farmers buried only 2 feet deep? So they can still stick their hand out.

I would prefer Ctrl + Alt + Delete, for the whole of the Goverment.tongue.png
  • Like 1

"Mr. Royol Chitradon, the Director of the Hydro and Agro Informatics Institute and member of the government Strategic Committee for Water Resource Management (SCWRM) also denied reports that the flooding in Ayutthaya resulted from the test. "The Ayutthaya flood was the result of heavy rain. The areas under water are not on the test's route," he said."

Will it be investigated if the test route maybe interfered with the rainwater and made it a wee bit more difficult to drain therefor flooding rice fields?

Are you trying to say that the test route in the west of Bangkok slowed down the water enough to back up 80kms to flood rice fields in Ayutthaya? If you read the other paper you'll get a slightly better explanation on what was happening.

There's grasping at straws to find something, anything wrong with this government and there is desperation. I'll leave you to think where you were going with that line of questioning.

Ozmicks suggestion that they were going to "test the speed increase from boat propellers? How about some results? SFA perhaps" was a bit out of tune with reality. Apparently the 16 water pushing machines lowered the canal level from 30 cm to 20 cm above msl and had increased the flow rate so that in future they will not have to shut the sluice gates to prevent flooding, just leave them open and pump away.

So it does appear that in the case of draining the west side of Bangkok at least has been a success, not that I expect many people on here to acknowledge that......................

I think I will wait for some evidence a bit more scientifically expressed, thank you. I'm not sure or really interested (ignorance and apathy) of your employment background, but if you believe that propellers or "water-pushing machines" are doing much to increase flow, IMHO opinion you are sadly mistaken.

I look at this scenario in terms of energy. The energy of a flowing body of water = 0.5 mv2 which means to double the flow rate you have to add 3 times as much energy as it previously had, and a for a large body of water that is a quite considerable amount. That energy has to come from either fossil fuel engines or electrical energy. As I am not seeing pictures of, or imagining, MW size motors or 6" electrical cables then I hate to inform you that you are pissing into the wind and think that it is raining.

I must add, that cleaning of canals and reducing friction energy loss WILL considerably increase flow.

Edited by OzMick

Rubl, rice paddies are not built to drain, they are in most cases built to hold water this is the natural way the Thai grow rice. It rains heavily the water collects and is retained in the paddies, the rice grows. Heavy rainfall = full paddies.

OK, understood. Mind you the OP suggests that the water might have come from canals and not rainfall on the paddies now flooded.

"It was reported that water was released into the Rapipat irrigation canal from the Rama VI Dam."

Very full paddies = 1 meter high = heavy rain or the new deluge ?wink.png

You have to be there Rubl, I have witnessed 1 meter deep paddies fill from dry with one day of heavy rain

I have no problem accepting what you write here. I'm just wondering if it's relevant to this particular case.

The government says no relation with the 'drainage test' which started on Wednesday, the farmers say it started flooding on Wednesday. The picture doesn't seem to be too rainy, the topic was posted after midday.

Conclusion? I don't know, that why I asked. No clear answer to this 'mishap' till now ermm.gif

Are you trying to say that the test route in the west of Bangkok slowed down the water enough to back up 80kms to flood rice fields in Ayutthaya? If you read the other paper you'll get a slightly better explanation on what was happening.

There's grasping at straws to find something, anything wrong with this government and there is desperation. I'll leave you to think where you were going with that line of questioning.

Ozmicks suggestion that they were going to "test the speed increase from boat propellers? How about some results? SFA perhaps" was a bit out of tune with reality. Apparently the 16 water pushing machines lowered the canal level from 30 cm to 20 cm above msl and had increased the flow rate so that in future they will not have to shut the sluice gates to prevent flooding, just leave them open and pump away.

So it does appear that in the case of draining the west side of Bangkok at least has been a success, not that I expect many people on here to acknowledge that......................

I think I will wait for some evidence a bit more scientifically expressed, thank you. I'm not sure or really interested (ignorance and apathy) of your employment background, but if you believe that propellers or "water-pushing machines" are doing much to increase flow, IMHO opinion you are sadly mistaken.

I look at this scenario in terms of energy. The energy of a flowing body of water = 0.5 mv2 which means to double the flow rate you have to add 3 times as much energy as it previously had, and a for a large body of water that is a quite considerable amount. That energy has to come from either fossil fuel engines or electrical energy. As I am not seeing pictures of, or imagining, MW size motors or 6" electrical cables then I hate to inform you that you are pissing into the wind and think that it is raining.

I must add, that cleaning of canals and reducing friction energy loss WILL considerably increase flow.

Mick, really no point explaining to people that water pushing machines dont work if they don't even get basic physics. Energy costs money and needs power. Water is heavy stuff and no boat is ever going to generate enough power to move a significant amount of water after friction and energy loss.

It really is a truly fruitless exercise. Archimedes screw was very clever, until you were given the job of being the guy to turn the handle.

• Like 1

Mick, really no point explaining to people that water pushing machines dont work if they don't even get basic physics. Energy costs money and needs power. Water is heavy stuff and no boat is ever going to generate enough power to move a significant amount of water after friction and energy loss.

It really is a truly fruitless exercise. Archimedes screw was very clever, until you were given the job of being the guy to turn the handle.

Thailand - the Hub of Water Pushing Machines.

Not that I know much of water management, but I would like to know how much water they send through the system.Was this a valid and reliable test, or just a nice PR opportunity for guys like you to brag about?

Maybe Yingluck wanted to test her new Burberrys.cheesy.gif

More than 1,000 rai of paddy field in this 'rice bowl' province, 76km north of Bangkok, was flooded Wednesday as the water level rose one metre higher than the Chao Phraya river, the lifeline of the central plains.

In a related development the police seems to have apprehended a suspect in this case. A young Dutch boy who's name was given as H. Brinker allegedly caused this flooding by removing his finger which he had stuck in a dike.

The police is investigating whether the boy should be charged for deliberately pricking a dam, or having had his finger there for working without workpermit. biggrin.png

More than 1,000 rai of paddy field in this 'rice bowl' province, 76km north of Bangkok, was flooded Wednesday as the water level rose one metre higher than the Chao Phraya river, the lifeline of the central plains.

In a related development the police seems to have apprehended a suspect in this case. A young Dutch boy who's name was given as H. Brinker allegedly caused this flooding by removing his finger which he had stuck in a dike.

The police is investigating whether the boy should be charged for deliberately pricking a dam, or having had his finger there for working without workpermit. biggrin.png

Now look a Dutch boy with his finger in a dike???!!!!! that gets my vote any day of the week.