What Is The Law On Insults To The Thai People Or Country?

submaniac

I know that, under lese majesty, it is a crime to insult the monarchy.

Is there a similar crime for insults to the people of Thailand or the country of Thailand? (Yes I know that it is prohibited under the forum rules.) Is there a specific statutory criminal provision for this? Or perhaps would it fall under lese majeste. Like an insult to the Thai people would be deemed an insult to the King. Does anyone know?

This is true. But recall the Falang who was in the red (or yellow) shirt demonstration and was caught on camera that he was going to loot and overthrow the governent and all. I know he was ordered arrested and deported. I don't know what the grounds were. There was no apparent insult to the monarchy, so I think there might be another law.

This is true. But recall the Falang who was in the red (or yellow) shirt demonstration and was caught on camera that he was going to loot and overthrow the governent and all. I know he was ordered arrested and deported. I don't know what the grounds were. There was no apparent insult to the monarchy, so I think there might be another law.

I think you said it. My understanding is that it is illegal for a foreigner to participate in a political protest in Thailand and in that case, he openly associated himself with a blatantly illegal action. That has NOTHING to do with verbal insults. Do you think there SHOULD be such a law against verbal insults or criticisms? BTW, personally I think the Thai ban on foreigners protesting is a sign of xenophobia. Cheers. Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

I think you said it. My understanding is that it is illegal for a foreigner to participate in a political protest in Thailand and in that case, he openly associated himself with a blatantly illegal action. That has NOTHING to do with verbal insults. Do you think there SHOULD be such a law against verbal insults or criticisms? BTW, personally I think the Thai ban on foreigners protesting is a sign of xenophobia. Cheers.

"Prisoner of conscience (POC) is a term defined in Peter Benenson's 1961 article "The Forgotten Prisoners" often used by the human rights group Amnesty International. It can refer to anyone imprisoned because of their race, religion, or political views. It also refers to those who have been imprisoned and/or persecuted for the non-violent expression of their conscientiously held beliefs."

I think this is what he is suggesting? Lovely.

Although Thailand has Freedom of Speech legislation, any Thai can initiate legal action for libel/defamation, so in answer to your question, legal proceeding could be initiated for insulting the Thai people/nation. However, I'm sure you already know this, hope I'm not being paranoid that you are not posing this question as a veiled or overt threat.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 2

Although Thailand has Freedom of Speech legislation, any Thai can initiate legal action for libel/defamation, so in answer to your question, legal proceeding could be initiated for insulting the Thai people/nation. However, I'm sure you already know this

I think you're probably wrong about that. That would be against an individual or a commercial concern such as saying Smiletime Restaurant has rats (even if they do). I don't think there is any such law against against verbal expression of "insult" to the entire nation or people such as "there sure are a LOT of prostitutes in Thailand!". Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Although Thailand has Freedom of Speech legislation, any Thai can initiate legal action for libel/defamation, so in answer to your question, legal proceeding could be initiated for insulting the Thai people/nation. However, I'm sure you already know this

Surely it would be a better use of someone's time and money to try to improve their country as opposed to stop people talking about the bad sides? Is that not more logical and rational?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=137_1339907257

This is the guy. Happened during the riots. Said some things on camera. The Thai authorities tracked him down and arrested him. I was trying to figure out what the charge was. He didn't say anything about the monarchy, so no lese majeste. He really didn't do anything illegal. I thought it was either a charge of insult to the Thai people or insult to the monarchy by insulting the Thai people. Does anyone remember what the charges were?

Surely it would be a better use of someone's time and money to try to improve their country as opposed to stop people talking about the bad sides? Is that not more logical and rational?

Tit

http://www.liveleak....=137_1339907257

This is the guy. Happened during the riots. Said some things on camera. The Thai authorities tracked him down and arrested him. I was trying to figure out what the charge was. He didn't say anything about the monarchy, so no lese majeste. He really didn't do anything illegal. I thought it was either a charge of insult to the Thai people or insult to the monarchy by insulting the Thai people. Does anyone remember what the charges were?

I remember the video, it was the day before the burning of some mall in Central BKK..The guy was inciting burning and looting.

As every country has its share of lunatics among the locals, i think it's fair to be tough on visitors who incite violence.

• Like 1

I think you're probably wrong about that. That would be against an individual or a commercial concern such as saying Smiletime Restaurant has rats (even if they do). I don't think there is any such law against a verbal expression of "insult" to the entire nation or people such as "there sure are a LOT of prostitutes in Thailand!".

Maybe you are correct, I don't know the detail of Thai law, but proceeding could be initiated & then would require a court rulings; maybe on appeal all the way to the Constitutional Court of Thailand. So unless you have plenty of money could easily be used as a mechanism for suppressing opinion.

I remember the video, it was the day before the burning of some mall in Central BKK..The guy was inciting burning and looting.

As every country has its share of lunatics among the locals, i think it's fair to be tough on visitors who incite violence.

Did Arsenal play around that time? Me think it was a British hooligan who took his frustration and anger out on the public for his favorite losing the game.

You see... dam_n Brits...w00t.gif

I wonder if he is one of the members on here lol

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10550736

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/381701-briton-jeff-savage-freed-by-thai-court/

http://www.examiner.com/article/briton-jeff-savage-arrested-by-thai-police-did-he-burn-down-central-world-plaza-mall

"The Thai government has said Savage would be charged with violating the state of emergency decree"

So in answer to your question, No. There is not.

mfr_closed1.gif

...unless you seriously contend there should be, in which case, let's keep it open :)

• Like 1

I wonder if he is one of the members on here lol

Weirdly enough, it turned out that Jeff Savage (the Brit guy in the video threatening and inciting others to burn down Bangkok) ) had actually been in the employ of Queen Elizabeth II of England at Buckingham Palace for 4 years, working in the kitchens as a porter.

"...for the 25 investitures held in the Palace ballroom every year, he would change into smart livery of black tailcoat, black trousers and waistcoat.

‘The Queen and other members of the Royal Family would have ­certainly known him,’ says an insider..."

Strange but true.

More here: http://www.dailymail...rked-Queen.html

He got arrested because foreigners are not allowed to participate in demonstrations, especially poltical oriented ones. Edited by jbrain

Deported for working without a work permit.

All the red protesters were paid to be there.

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 1

He got arrested because foreigners are not allowed to participate in demonstrations, especially poltical oriented ones.

I believe you are wrong on this. You could prove your point by presenting us with the relevant law.