Passenger Van Driver Killed, 3 Passengers Severely Injured In Bangkok Accident

webfact

Passenger van driver killed, 3 passengers injured in road accident

BANGKOK: -- The driver of a passenger van was killed and three passengers were severely injured when the van crashed into the rear of a park 18-wheel truck on Bang Na-Trat Road Thursday.

The accident happened at 12:30 pm at the kilometre marker 4 on the inbound Bang Na-Trat.

Witnesses told police that the Suvarnabhumi Air Port -Paknam van was speeding and crashed into the rear of the truck.

Two male and one female passengers were rushed to the Bang Na Hospital.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-09-06

I'm surprised there aren't more accidents like this everyday. Every time I drive this route I try to keep my speed at about 120 km/hr depending on traffic and these passenger vans blow right by me so fast that I can barely see them in my rear view mirror. My guess is that they were going at least 140-150 km/hr minimum.

• Like 1

You would think that due to the high amount of these types

of accidents that the van drivers would slow down and drive

more carefully, but then again I guess not .....

Hope the three injured recover quickly form their injuries

At least the driver of the van did not run from the scene

• Like 2

I'm surprised there aren't more accidents like this everyday. Every time I drive this route I try to keep my speed at about 120 km/hr depending on traffic and these passenger vans blow right by me so fast that I can barely see them in my rear view mirror. My guess is that they were going at least 140-150 km/hr minimum.

I'd advise anyone taking a van to use an application with their phone (like Dynomaster), to keep track of the van's speed. This can be set up to track the van's speed from the start to the end of the journey. Send the information to the police/van company, anonymously of course:)

....I guess he got his 'warning'.....wow, that is sheer genius....for sure those derelicts who have received warnings will never repeat their offense...

...passing on the left, especially the shoulder... should be fined 3000 baht for 1st offense and 6000 baht for 2nd offense.....and enforced....

• Like 1

You drive at 120kph on the Bang Na-Trat road, not the tollway? You're as bad as the van drivers. An accident waiting to happen

Edited by writeshack
  • Like 1

....I guess he got his 'warning'.....wow, that is sheer genius....for sure those derelicts who have received warnings will never repeat their offense...

...passing on the left, especially the shoulder... should be fined 3000 baht for 1st offense and 6000 baht for 2nd offense.....and enforced....

I believe passing on the left is ok according to the Thai highway code. Correct me if im wrong.

If Thais would have to Learn to drive and pass a written test and a proper driving test instead of just purchasing your licence and your driving expertise, also if more airbags were fitted in the vehicles on Thai roads, never mind a vehicle inspection every year for general condition lights, brakes, tyres etc.

How many lives would be saved

If Thais would have to Learn to drive and pass a written test and a proper driving test instead of just purchasing your licence and your driving expertise, also if more airbags were fitted in the vehicles on Thai roads, never mind a vehicle inspection every year for general condition lights, brakes, tyres etc.

How many lives would be saved

Yes many lives would be saved but everything would be more expensive and that is something the Thais dont like. Also many farangs dont like it. I just make sure my car is safe and i drive safe not much else i can do.

Driving at 120 there and thinking that you are smarter than the low so Thai drivers...

I really dread travelling in these things but sometimes it's a necessity.

the speed is one thing but I get so damned annoyed when they put their passengers lives

at increased risk by so often tailgating vehicles in front leaving far too short a safe

slowing distance and being on their bloody mobile telephones at the same time

believing they are so in control with just one hand on the steering wheelangry.png

Edited by Asiantravel

I drive at up to a sensible 100kmph on any multi-lane highway in Thailand. That's 65mph. I never feel like I'm driving too fast or too slow. If I creep up to 120kmph as someone posted above, its like a 1980s video game dodging the unpredictable cars. Forget that. 100kmph is about the right speed.

He obviouly took his eyes off the road. It only takes less than a split second to crash when your not paying attention.

The other thing is, these Vans drivers not only exceed the speed limit, but they follow right up to the arse end of the vehicle

of the in front of them honking their horns to get the driver in front of them to either go faster or change lanes.

Some of them pass the cop cars like they are standing still, and I have never seen a copper pull them over.

coffee1.gif

Even if you were stone cold sober, no one's reaction time would be fast enough to avoid a collision.

Normal reaction time for non distracted driver is 1.5 seconds/

For a distracted driver reaction time is about 3 seconds

For a focused driver at a speed of 60 km/hr before the driver can react the vehicle will travel approx 25 meters.

For a distracted driver it takes going at the same speed the vehicle will travel approx 33 meters

and throw in the road conditions etc...I am sure we can all fill in the blanks..

These drivers are an accident waiting to happen.coffee1.gif None of these tranvel less than/ 60 km/hr unless they are in bumper to bumper traffic. The average speed on the hwy is in excess of of 100 km/hr

Edited by jerrysteve

Driving at 120 there and thinking that you are smarter than the low so Thai drivers...

If you bothered to read what I wrote before saying some sarcastic, I said depending on traffic conditions. Obviously I won't be going 120 if that means putting other people in danger.

Edited by arkom

I think these morons should be put in a database along with them taxi drivers.

He obviouly took his eyes off the road. It only takes less than a split second to crash when your not paying attention.

The other thing is, these Vans drivers not only exceed the speed limit, but they follow right up to the arse end of the vehicle

of the in front of them honking their horns to get the driver in front of them to either go faster or change lanes.

Some of them pass the cop cars like they are standing still, and I have never seen a copper pull them over.

coffee1.gif

Even if you were stone cold sober, no one's reaction time would be fast enough to avoid a collision.

Normal reaction time for non distracted driver is 1.5 seconds/

For a distracted driver reaction time is about 3 seconds

For a focused driver at a speed of 60 km/hr before the driver can react the vehicle will travel approx 25 meters.

For a distracted driver it takes going at the same speed the vehicle will travel approx 33 meters

and throw in the road conditions etc...I am sure we can all fill in the blanks..

These drivers are an accident waiting to happen.coffee1.gif None of these tranvel less than/ 60 km/hr unless they are in bumper to bumper traffic. The average speed on the hwy is in excess of of 100 km/hr

1.5 secs? 1500ms? its more like 200-300ms.

Of course trucks shouldn't be parked there either. For those who don't know, close to Central a lot of trucks park on the side of the centre road running under the expressway. This is not the frontage road, it's the highway.

They're parked there because they're not allowed in the city before 9p.m.!

Not trying to be an ass or anything but luckily only the driver died from his <deleted> driving skills. He deserves it for driving recklessly. How does a ten wheeler just pop out of nowhere? How could he not notice it? Earlier van accidents usually claimed the lives if several passengers. Hopefully the injured will recover quickly.

Of course trucks shouldn't be parked there either. For those who don't know, close to Central a lot of trucks park on the side of the centre road running under the expressway. This is not the frontage road, it's the highway.

They're parked there because they're not allowed in the city before 9p.m.!

You do sometimes also get up to 20 or 30 coaches parked both sides of the Trat Road, near Central, not the Frontage Road later in the day. I'm not sure if this is when Bitec has something going on?