List Of Restaurants That Charge Visa Fees And Possible Refound?

HI!

I recogneized that in most restaurants, the visa fees not have been charged , only for expensive hotels!

But I found some shop for eg Hagen dazz in chinang may!

And travel agency charge also airplanes!

Visa in Europe says about this, some country the law is different , if the company give you a separate bill with the total amount of visa charge fees, we refound you that 3,5 procent of the total amount!

I talk with many travel agency that are long time in bisness in Thailand !

We know problem, was the answer, we cannot give you a separate bill showing you the tax separately then we get problems with the. Bank!

Because bank knows visas foreign policy!

Now The question, did someone ever got a succsesfull Visa Fee refound, in there home Country?

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Simple solution is don't pay with a credit card in a restaurant, Use cash.

The shop has to be pay a processing fee, and often has to wait quite a period to get the money you spend. There is also the added risk of the card being stolen that there is not with cash.

They know they shouldn't add the charge but they do it because they want you to pay cash and if you can't it re-inburses them the collection fee they pay.

I'm extremely happy to read that it's Visa's foriegn policy not to charge customers, now all we need to do is to convince the merchants of the same. But armed with that news it'll certainly make for some interesting discussion the next time a vendor tries to charge me.

Heads up all ex-pats.

Edited by chiang mai

I'm extremely happy to read that it's Visa's foriegn policy not to charge customers, now all we need to do is to convince the merchants of the same. But armed with that news it'll certainly make for some interesting discussion the next time a vendor tries to charge me.

Heads up all ex-pats.

Not sure I fully understand the OP as from what I know many companies in the UK for example still charge credit card fees - airlines especially see - http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012/jul/05/airlines-scrap-debit-card-fees and this slightly more recently - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/9512733/Exorbitant-credit-card-fees-to-be-outlawed-by-the-Government..html

I was never aware you could get a refund and cannit find anything that says you can? Does the OP have a link to something that we can read on this?

Visa charges are often not priced in at locations in Thailand un-like other places where you pay it in the price of goods even if you pay cash. To keep prices lower they charge the fee seperate for those that choose to use a card.

Yes you can get a re fund or charge back on the spot - if they have the internet device to run the card they can un-run it. Hospital ran the wrong bill on my card and reversed it no proplem you get a receipt for both the charge and the refund. Banana IT did the same thing no problem - most locations that don't price in the fees have a sign at the check out telling you the % they charge.

If you have a local accout use your ATM card and not a CC.

Heads up all ex-pats.

Not sure I fully understand the OP as from what I know many companies in the UK for example still charge credit card fees - airlines especially see - http://www.guardian....debit-card-fees and this slightly more recently - http://www.telegraph...overnment..html

I was never aware you could get a refund and cannit find anything that says you can? Does the OP have a link to something that we can read on this?

The OP did state that it is Visa's foriegn policy so perhaps different rom the UK etc. Also, merchants in the UK (at least) use the credit card surcharge as a way of boosting income/profitability, not unlike many merchants in Thailand. The difference perhaps is that UK providers may or may not charge merchants for credit card services thus their charge to the customer is maybe/perhaps, warranted. In Thailand there is no charge from the provider or the Bank (per the OP) hence the charge is not warranted. In truth they are both scams, electronic transfer was sold in on the basis of saving the banks and credit card companies labour costs and time, subsequently they both became greedier and started to charge, ditto ATM's.

Heads up all ex-pats.

Not sure I fully understand the OP as from what I know many companies in the UK for example still charge credit card fees - airlines especially see - http://www.guardian....debit-card-fees and this slightly more recently - http://www.telegraph...overnment..html

The OP did state that it is Visa's foriegn policy so perhaps different rom the UK etc. Also, merchants in the UK (at least) use the credit card surcharge as a way of boosting income/profitability, not unlike many merchants in Thailand. The difference perhaps is that UK providers may or may not charge merchants for credit card services thus their charge to the customer is maybe/perhaps, warranted. In Thailand there is no charge from the provider or the Bank (per the OP) hence the charge is not warranted. In truth they are both scams, electronic transfer was sold in on the basis of saving the banks and credit card companies labour costs and time, subsequently they both became greedier and started to charge, ditto ATM's.

Hence why I asked if he had a link so some reference on this. Visa cards can be issued by lots of banks and I think the policy will depend on the individual bank. I cannot find anything which says UK issuers will refund the charge - not saying he is wrong but I would like some corroboration.....smile.png

Shops should be free to charge extra for people using visa cards. Why should people who pay cash subsidize people that want to use visa cards? Shops have to pay a fee, so why do you think you should get it for free? If you don't want to pay the fee, then don't use the card. Simple.

• Like 1

Shops should be free to charge extra for people using visa cards. Why should people who pay cash subsidize people that want to use visa cards? Shops have to pay a fee, so why do you think you should get it for free? If you don't want to pay the fee, then don't use the card. Simple.

Anytime I use my CC, I ask do they charge a fee for a CC charge and I request the charge be in local currency. If they charge a fee or do not charge in local currency, out comes the cash. Why should I take advantage of the CC which also gives me 1% to 2% cash back.

Should shops also then be free to charge extra for people that use cash if they want to ? Cash needs to be collected from and taken to banks, this costs money, somebody's time has to be paid for, maybe even a security company paid for to collect the cash. Why should Credit Card users subsidise people that want to use cash.

Should shops also then be free to charge extra for people that use cash if they want to ? Cash needs to be collected from and taken to banks, this costs money, somebody's time has to be paid for, maybe even a security company paid for to collect the cash. Why should Credit Card users subsidise people that want to use cash.

That's already included in the prices. It costs shops more to accept credit cards than cash, so the extra charge is for the difference. Credit card users don't subsidize people that pay cash. It is a fact that processing card payments costs more than processing cash. Most shops don't need security to take cash to the bank.

That's already included in the prices. It costs shops more to accept credit cards than cash, so the extra charge is for the difference. Credit card users don't subsidize people that pay cash. It is a fact that processing card payments costs more than processing cash. Most shops don't need security to take cash to the bank.

Yes, and from memory Amex and Diners used to charge 3-5% (not sure if it has reduced recently) but one of the reasons why so many shops would not accept their cards.

Not necessarily. Life isn't that simple. In some cases cash is less convenient to the merchant and credit card preferred for a variety of reasons.

On another level, credit cards can also bring promotions that can increase business in various forms. One example: I use certain petrol stations because I get rebates from my credit card. Without these loyalty schemes I would in many cases use a different station, and they wouldn't get my business. The charge they pay to visa is far less than the margin they make on the sale to me. Even if the promotion ends I may continue going to the station I've got used to as a habit instead of another. Another example, given a choice I would rather pay by credit card as it is more convenient, plus I can have a credit free period, so with 2 identical choices I would choose the one accepting credit cards. Now if you remove all those credit card sales the store would be less profitable so they may need a higher margin to compensate for lower volume. Another example, reward points being used to claim gifts, a customer may end up with a product they would never normally choose, because they got it free on points, of course Visa in this case compensates the product provider in some way. Another one business with internet payment by credit card as well as physical by cash or credit card, which is really "cheapest". There are dozens of other scenarios.

So I'd agree with "I like Thai", it should be the merchant's choice. If they prefer people pay cash they can charge a lower price for cash, if they prefer credit card they can charge less for that. Or charge equal to all. Their call to look at the big picture and understand the fees are just one factor of many. a skilled business person wouldn't look at just this single factor in isolation

Personally I prefer paying on credit card. If a location charges more for this I will often simply pay cash. Less convenient but cheaper. Sometimes though convenience wins out, and I'll pay more to use credit card. Freedom of choice

smile.png

Edited by fletchsmile

The vast majority of transactions in Thailand are cash.

There are lots of advantages.

And the big one is it stays out of the banking system. So those bastards don't get to rake in the 3% or so "tax" that they take on credit card transactions.

The western governments just love you to keep all the money in nice traceable digits in banking accounts. They then have control and can monitor and tax you.

As long as you like supporting the lifestyles of the bankers and want to remain under the eye of The Powers That Be, then carry on paying with plastic.

I support local businesses and pay with cash.