chiangmaikelly

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q: Why don't Thais eat much rib eye steak

A: They are too scared to eat it.

Why?

They are scared that they will catch Mad Cow Disease and end up like the crazy farangs that they see everywhere.

http://www.usmef.org/despite-bse-ban-in-thailand-and-partial-ban-in-indonesia-global-market-access-situation-encouraging/

Despite BSE Ban in Thailand and Partial Ban in Indonesia, Global Market Access Situation Encouraging

The global reaction to this week’s BSE announcement remains very encouraging, as no change in market access for U.S. beef has been announced in any foreign markets except Indonesia and Thailand. Indonesia’s deputy agriculture minister has stated that his country is imposing an import ban on U.S. beef variety meat, bone-in muscle cuts, meat and bone meal (MBM) and gelatin from bones. According to the newly updated FSIS Export Library, only boneless beef is eligible for export to Indonesia unless the bill of lading date is on or before April 24, 2012. While the announcement by Indonesia is disappointing, it is important to view it in the context of recent events. Indonesia has been engaged in a very aggressive policy initiative to bolster its domestic beef production, drastically reducing the flow of imported beef into the country in 2012 – not only from the United States, but from all of its major beef suppliers. (Indonesia reduced its import quota allocation to just 34,000 mt for 2012, compared to actual imports of about 100,000 mt in 2011.) Through February, U.S. beef plus beef variety meat exports to Indonesia were down 84 percent in volume and 71 percent in value compared to the same period last year. Global Trade Atlas data also reflect lower exports from Indonesia’s primary suppliers: Australia (down 27 percent) and New Zealand (down 59 percent). In addition, Indonesia reduced its import quota for live cattle (mainly from Australia) to 285,000 head compared to a 520,000 head quota last year. In summary, Indonesia already had placed severe restrictions on beef and cattle imports before the BSE case was announced. USMEF does not view Indonesia’s decision as any indication of a trend toward new BSE-related market access restrictions in other countries. U.S. Trade Representative Ron Kirk called for swift resolution of the latest trade impasse with Indonesia. Speaking today at a news conference in Singapore, Kirk said there was no reason to fear an international spread of BSE. “There’s been no evidence (in) this one reported instance that any contaminated product has entered our food chain or any international food chain,” he said. “There is no reason, from my understanding of the analysis, for any consumer to be concerned about the consumption of U.S. beef. Thus we would expect that Indonesia would quickly reopen its market for its consumers for U.S. beef products.” USMEF learned Friday that Thailand has also announced a temporary suspension of U.S. beef imports. Because U.S. exports to Thailand were already limited to boneless beef from cattle under 30 months of age, this appears to be a complete suspension of beef trade. The FSIS Export Library is not yet updated for Thailand, but USMEF will advise exporters as soon as more information is available regarding product already en route to Thailand and other key details. In 2011, Thailand was a $1.2 million market for U.S. beef. Thailand’s total beef imports were valued at $61.67 million – with India as the primary supplier, followed by Australia and New Zealand.

Still struggling to fully get back on the beef topic, with thoughts of Mrs Peel's rumpsteaks in tight leather.......rolleyes.gif ....not Mrs SP's I hasten to add....not that there is anything wrong with..... Oh h_ll, this hole is getting deeper with every key-press.....

Anyway..... Soutpeel's last post reminds me of an ex gf from Udon, who would not eat beef. She said she always thought it was wrong because they relied on the beast to work in the fields. Maybe this sort of thinking goes some way to explain the low beef consumption???

The topic wasn't beef, or was it? I thought it was people who choose to make their own mistakes and are called idiots because of that?

Chill.... Go with the flow.... It's a light-hearted journey. we'll get back there sometime, and I'm sure CMK will steer us (check sp.... did I mean 'stir'??).... So far we have done idiots, cattle, parrots, geese and horses..... but, I hasten to add, not personally or biblically.

I can assure you that for whatever reason that escapes reason, I am enjoying the whole thing :D I was just trying to confuse you and see if that took us all somewhere even more marxist (from the Marx brothers, not Karl)

@besth

Apologies.... please try to understand you are dealing with a very simple mind here..... probably stems from a lifetime of eating beef as often as possible in order to rid the world of bovine methane factories.... my bid to save the world from climate change.... but I digress again...but that's because you are dealing with a very simple mind....

@besth

Apologies.... please try to understand you are dealing with a very simple mind here..... probably stems from a lifetime of eating beef as often as possible in order to rid the world of bovine methane factories.... my bid to save the world from climate change.... but I digress again...but that's because you are dealing with a very simple mind....

Bovine bashing!!!

Has it ever occurred to you, that bovines might like the smell of their own farts, that bovines are not different from you and me in that respect?

@besth

Bovine bashing!!!

Has it ever occurred to you, that bovines might like the smell of their own farts, that bovines are not different from you and me in that respect?

Stereotyping at its worst!!!! and as for your flatulent comments, you may say that but one could not possibly comment......

Now I have to revise my teaching that cliamte change is all the fault of vegetarians,,, it will now have to be edited to be the fault of Thais and vegetarians....but this is another digression, for which the world may not be prepared...

@besth

Bovine bashing!!!

Stereotyping at its worst!!!! and as for your flatulent comments, you may say that but one could not possibly comment......

Now I have to revise my teaching that cliamte change is all the fault of vegetarians,,, it will now have to be edited to be the fault of Thais and vegetarians....but this is another digression, for which the world may not be prepared...

Oh my god. You are freaking out.

And I have not even mentioned snuffing out my arm pits yet.

@besth

Bovine bashing!!!

There is a limit for everything :(

I am very comfortable with other uni-neuronal beings like myself, but not keen on anything that smells worse than brussel sprouts (which I confess I like), even if it came out of Tina Turner, so I think potential disgusting bovines olfative tastes are definitely off topic here.

The Belgians can be safely ignored as they have a habit of putting mayonaisse on their chips.blink.png

Heretics.

I guess salad cream and chips would blow your mind.

Depends on the recipe for salad cream.

And on the amount, how many buckets are you talking about?

At least, belgians don't add sugar to their mayo.

11 pages!!! cheesy.gif

"A guy asked me what would I suggest for him to eat" "He decided to go for beef anyway" "That was really bad" "I told you so"

From 4 sentences to 11 pages clap2.gif

Thai Visa never ceases to amaze me. You nailed it. On topic.

OP, you never even mentioned what your friend's opinion of the steak was.

It just seems you're raging because your advice wasn't followed.

OP, you never even mentioned what your friend's opinion of the steak was.

It just seems you're raging because your advice wasn't followed.

Got it now. The friend said the steak was awful. biggrin.pngbiggrin.png I told him not to eat the beef. He ate the beef anyway and then told me it was awful.

Edited by chiangmaikelly

Pointless thread.....Give the lad a break

Imagine what Thailand would be like if it was only a 2-4 hour flight from the UK, imagine the numpty young idiots you would get that frequent the holiday resorts like Faliraki and Magaluf, one can only imagine the carnage.

You should be grateful for guys like the one you mentioned in the op

@besth

Bovine bashing!!!

bovines are not different from you and me in that respect?

OH... because both of you like the smell of your own fart ? sick.gif You don't say!...It takes all sorts to make a world whistling.gif

The real idiots are the ones who only eat Thai food because they are skint not because they are worldly as they make out.

In Thailand, you'd be an idiot not to eat Thai food if you were skint.

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy
  • Like 1

@besth

Bovine bashing!!!

bovines are not different from you and me in that respect?

OH... because both of you like the smell of your own fart ? sick.gif You don't say!...It takes all sorts to make a world whistling.gif

If you have a spare moment, please reread my post and you will see that you are wrongly attributing words to me ..... (putting words in my mouth)... It is a trivial point with which I can't be bothered any further.

Ratree sawas. Fun dee na.

The real idiots are the ones who only eat Thai food because they are skint not because they are worldly as they make out.

SC

In Thailand you'd be an idiot not to eat Thai food period, regardless of your wealth or not, otherwise there was little point in comming here in the first place.

• Like 1

SC

In Thailand you'd be an idiot not to eat Thai food period, regardless of your wealth or not, otherwise there was little point in comming here in the first place.

Unless you came for other things and not just the foodthumbsup.gif I would imagine a great number of people didn;t come for the food.whistling.gif

SC

I ate loads of Thai food, i love it but its not healthy. So now i just cook my own food and i am certainly no idiot. Its cheaper to eat Thai food for sure.

SC

In Italy you'd be an idiot not to eat Italian food. Can you imagine going to Rome and trying to find a Big Mac? Absolute nonesense. Especially if you were dining with the Godfather! Godfather what should I eat? Eat the pasta. OK, so he orders a Big Mac. You know he is going to end up with a horse head in his bed.smile.png