Does Being Called Farang Bother You?

MonkeyMagic3

Do you mind being called farang?  

330 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yes but how often do you hear folks in america calling out to asians "hey asian, come here". Or walking up to them in the hospital waiting room, "Mr Asian, the doctor will see you now"

Exactomundo

You guys must live in a different Thailand because I frankly don't hear it used that way. But to be fair, are the folks in America trying to speak Thai when they say that?

Apparently you never bothered to read the OP.. He has even repeated it several times since.

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes but how often do you hear folks in america calling out to asians "hey asian, come here". Or walking up to them in the hospital waiting room, "Mr Asian, the doctor will see you now"

Exactomundo

You guys must live in a different Thailand because I frankly don't hear it used that way. But to be fair, are the folks in America trying to speak Thai when they say that?

Apparently you never bothered to read the OP.. He has even repeated it several times since.

Have it your way. Like I said earlier....keep barking-at-the-moon.

The moment you leave Thailand you are no longer f-rang except if you encounter some very slow witted Thais abroad who don't get there is a bigger world. I prefer NOT to internalize this obnoxious labeling. If that makes me a bad expat, I can cope with that.

Of course, you're wrong JT. You will be a farang anywhere you go on this planet, even in the west. Except there, the comparable English term would be Caucasian, westerner, European, white man, etc. There will be different terms in other countries/languages which mean the same thing, whether it's Japan...or Korea....or Mexico...even in Hawaii. So if it bothers you, I guess you're kind of screwed.

I didn't say it bothers me, did I? I just said I don't INTERNALIZE it. Thai person says f-rang. I think, I know you are talking about me but that word isn't actually about me, it's about that Thai persons conditioning. Maybe you think you are a f-rang. Enjoy. I don't.

I also think you way simplify the Thai specific social implications of the way the concept of f-rang is used in Thai culture (no I do not believe it is actually a neutral racial descriptor here like Caucasian), but personally too lazy to go into that here.

There are probably people in the world that would get upset at being referred to as Caucasian. i think the resentment lies within the person that feels as though they are being discriminated against more-so than the person using the term.

Me for instance, I am white. I will never be insulted at being called white, being called whitey, pork or any other names causes me no offense and never will. Even being called Paddy or anything else will not upset me.

As for the word Caucasian, that isn't even used in it's correct context anyway

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caucasian_race

The term Caucasian race (also Caucasoid, Europid, or Europoid)[1] has been used to denote the general physical type of some or all of the populations of Europe, North Africa, the Horn of Africa, Western Asia (the Middle East), parts ofCentral Asia and South Asia.[2] Historically, the term has been used to describe many peoples from these regions, without regard necessarily to skin tone.[3] In common usage, in countries such as the United States, Australia and New Zealand the term is sometimes restricted to white people of Europe and other lighter skinned populations within these regions and can be considered as equivalent to varying definitions of white people.

All very interesting. Personally, I don't self identify as "white" either ... coffee1.gif

Obviously each society deals with racial identity issues in different ways. If you want a proof of how culturally specific such things are study the perception of race in the Dominican Republican. For them, that's reality. ONLY there.

All very interesting. Personally, I don't self identify as "white" either ... coffee1.gif

Obviously each society deals with racial identity issues in different ways. If you want a proof of how culturally specific such things are study the perception of race in the Dominican Republican. For them, that's reality. ONLY there.

The way I look at it is that no one can insult you unless you allow them to. It's all about your own state of mind

My main reason for asking starting this poll/thread was to see if there are occasions, like the example I gave, when members feel that being addressed as Farang is not appropriate. I find it very hard to believe that the 145 people that have voted NO so far would not mind being called Khun Farang in the following situations...

You didn't ask if we were bothered by being called 'khun farang'

Don't change the rules after the vote is in!

The khun is neither here nor there, if people read my first post and not just the title of the thread they would see I was asking whether there are certain situations when being addressed as 'Farang' is not appropriate.

Khun turns an object into a person ...... of course it matters.

Farang is not appropriate in any situation.

Khun Farang might be appropriate in a situation where your name or nationality is not known.

But as I said, you didn't ask us if Khun Farang was OK, so are corrupting your own thread.

• Like 1

There are probably people in the world that would get upset at being referred to as Caucasian. i think the resentment lies within the person that feels as though they are being discriminated against more-so than the person using the term.

Me for instance, I am white. I will never be insulted at being called white, being called whitey, pork or any other names causes me no offense and never will. Even being called Paddy or anything else will not upset me.

That's a good point. And I think it's something that is beyond the comprehension of many here. For instance, in the USA, some whites like to compare being called "honky" or "cracker" with the infamous "N" word. Well it's really not the same, is it? In order for a racial term to be truly offensive, there has to be a historical context, i.e., past history of racial oppression. Whites have never been discriminated the same way as blacks in America. Not even close.

So in Thailand, I try to be patient with farangs complaining about the word "farang," yet, I find it almost comical when compared to other racial injustices around the world. If anything, the word "farang" denotes privilege and international worldliness, among other things. Of course, that is changing slowly as farangs may no longer be looked at that way...except maybe amongst the peasant class.

But I agree with you that those who feel resentment are more apt to have internal issues rather than anything real.

The way I look at it is that no one can insult you unless you allow them to. It's all about your own state of mind

Why are you talking to me about insults? I am just saying when I am called f-rang I don't accept the premise that I am a f-rang. I just see this is a quirky Thai racial classification system that is all about Thai culture, and nothing about me. I am not Thai and even if I wanted to be, in the Thai view, I'd still just be a f-rang anyway. Edited by Jingthing

That's a good point. And I think it's something that is beyond the comprehension of many here. For instance, in the USA, some whites like to compare being called "honky" or "cracker" with the infamous "N" word. Well it's really not the same, is it? In order for a racial term to be truly offensive, there has to be a historical context, i.e., past history of racial oppression. Whites have never been discriminated the same way as blacks in America. Not even close.

It's exactly two sides of the same coin.

Nothing to do with history.

My main reason for asking starting this poll/thread was to see if there are occasions, like the example I gave, when members feel that being addressed as Farang is not appropriate. I find it very hard to believe that the 145 people that have voted NO so far would not mind being called Khun Farang in the following situations...

You didn't ask if we were bothered by being called 'khun farang'

Don't change the rules after the vote is in!

The khun is neither here nor there, if people read my first post and not just the title of the thread they would see I was asking whether there are certain situations when being addressed as 'Farang' is not appropriate.

Khun turns an object into a person ...... of course it matters.

Farang is not appropriate in any situation.

Khun Farang might be appropriate in a situation where your name or nationality is not known.

But as I said, you didn't ask us if Khun Farang was OK, so are corrupting your own thread.

Did you not read my posts where I stated that they DID know my name? They knew my name and still addressed me as Khun Farang!

So in Thailand, I try to be patient with farangs complaining about the word "farang," yet, I find it almost comical when compared to other racial injustices around the world. If anything, the word "farang" denotes privilege and international worldliness, among other things. Of course, that is changing slowly as farangs may no longer be looked at that way...except maybe amongst the peasant class.

But I agree with you that those who feel resentment are more apt to have internal issues rather than anything real.

In Thailand "Farangs" have less rights making them less privileged in Thailand.

Edited by Jayman

Did you not read my posts where I stated that they DID know my name? They knew my name and still addressed me as Khun Farang!

Well in that case.

That would be because they are racists and they think of you as a thing (or an inferior being or ATM) and not a person.

These sort of people are not allowed in my home, and told quite clearly not to return.

Outside my home, not much I can do, apart from never let them have my money or business.

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 1

Well in that case.

That would be because they are racists and they think of you as a thing (or an inferior being or ATM) and not a person.

These sort of people are not allowed in my home, and told quite clearly not to return.

Outside my home, not much I can do, apart from never let them have my money or business.

OR, perhaps a superior being. smile.png

In Thailand "Farangs" have less rights making them less privileged in Thailand.

Are you serious? I hope you're not comparing this "less privileged" thing to the discrimination faced by blacks in the US back in the day.

I'd say farangs in Thailand have about the same rights as foreigners, or non-citizens, in most countries, if not more.

It's exactly two sides of the same coin.

Nothing to do with history.

I don't follow you.

Are you serious? I hope you're not comparing this "less privileged" thing to the discrimination faced by blacks in the US back in the day.

I never said that at allnor did I imply that.

I'd say farangs in Thailand have about the same rights as foreigners, or non-citizens, in most countries, if not more.

You can say whatever you want, in this case you'd be wrong.

bingo! thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Thailand isn't most countries. It is one country and a lot of us foreigners live here. There are certainly other destinations that offer better rights to foreigners. Some countries offer more liberal land ownership policies, more liberal business ownership policies, more liberal work permit policies, easier paths to permanent resident and/or citizenship, etc. In my status here I have NO path towards permanent residence and I do know a number of my alternative destinations do. Yes, I know, I can leave. Not ready for that yet but no need to delude that our rights here are exceptional. When they are not.

I wonder what that status is?

It's relatively easy to get permanent residence here, if you work.

It's very easy to get Citizenship if you're married to a Thai.

It's ridiculously easy to get either if you're rich - unlike most countries.

Most people can't be bothered to find out how.

My Vietnamese maid, getting 8,000 baht a month got Citizenship in less than 2 years. I could do the same.

And BTW 'farang' has become , over the last few years to be quite offensive in many situations.

Please don't encourage its use.

Why do you think Thai Chinese don't get called Jaek anymore? Well not to their face. This was exactly the same as 'farang' a few decades ago. Also, 'kaek' for Indians has gone the same way.

Edited by Johnniey

Are you serious? I hope you're not comparing this "less privileged" thing to the discrimination faced by blacks in the US back in the day. I'd say farangs in Thailand have about the same rights as foreigners, or non-citizens, in most countries, if not more.
Thailand isn't most countries. It is one country and a lot of us foreigners live here. There are certainly other destinations that offer better rights to foreigners. Some countries offer more liberal land ownership policies, more liberal business ownership policies, more liberal work permit policies, easier paths to permanent resident and/or citizenship, etc. In my status here I have NO path towards permanent residence and I do know a number of my alternative destinations do. Yes, I know, I can leave. Not ready for that yet but no need to delude that our rights here are exceptional. When they are not.
I wonder what that status is? It's relatively easy to get permanent residence here, if you work. It's very easy to get Citizenship if you're married to a Thai. It's ridiculously easy to get either if you're rich - unlike most countries. Most people can't be bothered to find out how. My Vietnamese maid, getting 8,000 baht a month got Citizenship in less than 2 years. I could do the same. And BTW 'farang' has become , over the last few years to be quite offensive in many situations. Please don't encourage its use. Why do you think Thai Chinese don't get called Jaek anymore? Well not to their face. This was exactly the same as 'farang' a few decades ago. Also, 'kaek' for Indians has gone the same way.

Good post.

Us "whites" were never "black ivory". We were never slaves. We were never "buck niggers" who were used solely to maintain the size of our plantation owners' slave quotient.

By all accounts, the Royal Court of Ayuthaya welcomed us "whites" with open arms when we first arrived. Read the history books and you'll see that Thais were actually very accommodating when we first turned up.

Any racism that you may feel the word FARANG connotes probably stems from (Facist Dictator) Phibun Songkran's nationalistic reforms in the 1930s and 1940s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plaek_Phibunsongkhram

Are you serious? I hope you're not comparing this "less privileged" thing to the discrimination faced by blacks in the US back in the day. I'd say farangs in Thailand have about the same rights as foreigners, or non-citizens, in most countries, if not more.
I wonder what that status is? It's relatively easy to get permanent residence here, if you work. It's very easy to get Citizenship if you're married to a Thai. It's ridiculously easy to get either if you're rich - unlike most countries. Most people can't be bothered to find out how. My Vietnamese maid, getting 8,000 baht a month got Citizenship in less than 2 years. I could do the same. And BTW 'farang' has become , over the last few years to be quite offensive in many situations. Please don't encourage its use. Why do you think Thai Chinese don't get called Jaek anymore? Well not to their face. This was exactly the same as 'farang' a few decades ago. Also, 'kaek' for Indians has gone the same way.

The common status where it is ILLEGAL to work here. Take a guess ... coffee1.gif

but I finally realized that, however long I tried, I would never really become a Thai, and that I would be a Farang forever.

One HUGE reason for this is, that we accept it and even call ourselves that.

If you are a tourist, or you never have any intention to make deep bonds with a thai person, sure, we can laugh it off.

But if anyone want to be a part of a thai family, as is the case for many of us who have a thai girlfriend or a thai wife, we sure should not use the word farang, it will only put a distance between you and the rest of the family, and it will make it easier for some evil minded thais to rip us off, or view us as ATM machines...

are you for real? ohmy.png

Think about it.

Lets say, we were called something else artificial related to our appearance, "long nose"

Would you rather be referred to Khun Eric, if your name was Eric, or always referred to as long nose?

In what scenario would you think you would be less seen as an object, and more like a human, and in which scenario would you think you would be less seen as a human, and more as an object.

1. My sister and her boyfriend Eric is coming to dinner tonight.

My daughter just met a new boyfriend, he is from England and his name is Eric.

I heard last week, that Eric, you know the Englishman who married my sister, bought a new car, it was a Ferrari.

I saw three people out in the parking lot, one of them was Eric

2. My sister and her boyfriend, who is long nose is coming to dinner tonight.

My daughter just met a new boyfriend, a long nose.

I heard last week, that Eric, you know long nose who married my sister, bought a new car, it was a Ferrari.

I saw three people out in the parking lot, one of them was the long nose

Edited by forumuser10

The common status where it is ILLEGAL to work here. Take a guess ... coffee1.gif

You have elephantitis?

but I finally realized that, however long I tried, I would never really become a Thai, and that I would be a Farang forever.

One HUGE reason for this is, that we accept it and even call ourselves that.

If you are a tourist, or you never have any intention to make deep bonds with a thai person, sure, we can laugh it off.

But if anyone want to be a part of a thai family, as is the case for many of us who have a thai girlfriend or a thai wife, we sure should not use the word farang, it will only put a distance between you and the rest of the family, and it will make it easier for some evil minded thais to rip us off, or view us as ATM machines...

are you for real? ohmy.png

Think about it.

Lets say, we were called something else artificial related to our appearance, "long nose"

Would you rather be referred to Khun Eric, if your name was Eric, or always referred to as long nose?

In what scenario would you think you would be less seen as an object, and more like a human, and in which scenario would you think you would be less seen as a human, and more as an object.

I heard last week, that Eric, you know the Englishman who married my sister, bought a new car, it was a Ferrari.

I heard last week, that Eric, you know long nose who married my sister, bought a new car, it was a Ferrari.

your painfully thought out example omits one thing -- it does not take the culture of the speaker into account. Thai people have no problem distinguishing between fat bob and skinny bob, or small nosed or big nosed eric. You are projecting your values on the way they speak and choosing to take offense where they neither perceive, nor intend any.

so in the context of what is acceptable in Thai culture, your example is moot.

Edited by tinfoilhat

Think about it.

your painfully thought out example omits one thing -- it does not take the culture of the speaker into account. Thai people have no problem distinguishing between fat bob and skinny bob, or small nosed or big nosed eric.

You painfully mix the things up.

I am not talking about being offended by having a long nose in itself, or a fat belly, or hairy arms, in fact, I am not even talking about being offended. Furthermore, if I am the fat belly, it is still me, but if all people from the west were called fat belly, then you are coming closer to what I am talking about.

I am talking about being grouped together in a shallow manner, that leads to the perception that we are different, and therefore will always be viewed as something else, not really a part of the family. We are always gonna be an alien.

And once again, no problem if you are a tourist who are staying here for 3 weeks, and have no intention of creating any deeper bonds with a thai girl, och a thai wife and there extended family.

However, if you do plan to have a relationship and be a part of your thai family in a deeper sense, its not a good idea to call yourself a farang, or even think it is ok to be referred to that all the time.

By supporting the idea that we are "falang", or in my example a "long nose", we indirectly support the fact that it is ok for our extended family to always view us as something that is different from the rest of the family.

We are not part of the extended thai family, with Noy, Nok and Be, but rather Noy, Nok, Be and "that guy that is part of the long noses"

It is a much bigger chance that you will be, and feel part of your family if you are being referred to your name, than being called long nose (that is, the guy that belongs to the long noses, rather than our family)

your painfully thought out example omits one thing -- it does not take the culture of the speaker into account. Thai people have no problem distinguishing between fat bob and skinny bob, or small nosed or big nosed eric. You are projecting your values on the way they speak and choosing to take offense where they neither perceive, nor intend any.

so in the context of what is acceptable in Thai culture, your example is moot.

My grandparents generation (and previous) had no problem distinguishing between a spade and a spic etc. A person of color, or foreign was

ALWAYS recognized as just that in any situation or conversation. It was part of the culture at the time, Of no less value than Thai culture today makes these distinctions.

My grandmother was a lovely person and did not hate people.

Are you saying her use of terms and pointing out that someone is black when its not necessary etc. is acceptable? The culture is still exactly the same in many circles.

Or are you just particular to allowing Thais to be racist but no one else, as is the case with many so called apologistswhistling.gif

• Like 1