Does Being Called Farang Bother You?

MonkeyMagic3

Do you mind being called farang?  

330 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

your painfully thought out example omits one thing -- it does not take the culture of the speaker into account. Thai people have no problem distinguishing between fat bob and skinny bob, or small nosed or big nosed eric. You are projecting your values on the way they speak and choosing to take offense where they neither perceive, nor intend any.

so in the context of what is acceptable in Thai culture, your example is moot.

If you were to insult a Thai by calling him a 'thing', the Thai would probably attempt to kill you.

Just because you don't understand, and allow them to openly insult you, merely reinforces their thinking you aren't a proper person and therefore a 'thing'

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

your painfully thought out example omits one thing -- it does not take the culture of the speaker into account. Thai people have no problem distinguishing between fat bob and skinny bob, or small nosed or big nosed eric. You are projecting your values on the way they speak and choosing to take offense where they neither perceive, nor intend any.

If you were to insult a Thai by calling him a 'thing', the Thai would probably attempt to kill you.

Just because you don't understand, and allow them to openly insult you, merely reinforces their thinking you aren't a proper person and therefore a 'thing'

I've even been out with some guys and their bar-friends where they've used the pronoun 'mun' when talking about him, knowing that he doesn't understand and not knowing that I do.

The more you understand the language, you are shocked as to what you hear.

farang, for example when talked about collectively by Thais , are referred to as 'mun', the same pronoun used for dogs.

I heard it recently, farang mun chawp ....... - disgustingly rascist.

I've even been out with some guys and their bar-friends where they've used the pronoun 'mun' when talking about him, knowing that he doesn't understand and not knowing that I do.

farang, for example when talked about collectively by Thais , are referred to as 'mun', the same pronoun used for dogs.

I frequently hear lower classed thais referring to foreigners as "mun". That upsets me much more than being referred to as "farang". I have even heard girls refer to their meal ticket as "mun" only to have the girls mum correct her and say that's not nice.

• Like 1

Yes I have heard this frequently as well, the proof that it is extremely offensive is the reaction you get when you make them realize you understand what was said; complete red faced embarrasment.

I agree with a previous post saying that use of the word "farang" contributes to westerners being thought of as less than human; the notion of the word mun just adds to it.

Well life still goes on either way, time for another red wine dont you think, champions league coming up, premier league, 20/20 in Sri lanka ( formerly Ceylon) much more interesting even if things dont turn out as you would like, must speak to the British High Commissioner.

Edited by nong38

Yes I have heard this frequently as well, the proof that it is extremely offensive is the reaction you get when you make them realize you understand what was said; complete red faced embarrasment.

I agree with a previous post saying that use of the word "farang" contributes to westerners being thought of as less than human; the notion of the word mun just adds to it.

We must have a differing perspective on things, I wouldnt consider man or meung to be racist, in fact I hear it more often than not used to refer to other Thais rather than farang.

Should I also consider gringo or 'cano to be racist or factually correct?

Are the Thais being racist when they say farang have big noses or are they being factually correct.

Think about it.

Lets say, we were called something else artificial related to our appearance, "long nose"

Would you rather be referred to Khun Eric, if your name was Eric, or always referred to as long nose?

In what scenario would you think you would be less seen as an object, and more like a human, and in which scenario would you think you would be less seen as a human, and more as an object.

1. My sister and her boyfriend Eric is coming to dinner tonight.

My daughter just met a new boyfriend, he is from England and his name is Eric.

I heard last week, that Eric, you know the Englishman who married my sister, bought a new car, it was a Ferrari.

I saw three people out in the parking lot, one of them was Eric

2. My sister and her boyfriend, who is long nose is coming to dinner tonight.

My daughter just met a new boyfriend, a long nose.

I heard last week, that Eric, you know long nose who married my sister, bought a new car, it was a Ferrari.

I saw three people out in the parking lot, one of them was the long nose

your painfully thought out example omits one thing -- it does not take the culture of the speaker into account. Thai people have no problem distinguishing between fat bob and skinny bob, or small nosed or big nosed eric.

You painfully mix the things up.

I am not talking about being offended by having a long nose in itself, or a fat belly, or hairy arms, in fact, I am not even talking about being offended. Furthermore, if I am the fat belly, it is still me, but if all people from the west were called fat belly, then you are coming closer to what I am talking about.

I am talking about being grouped together in a shallow manner, that leads to the perception that we are different, and therefore will always be viewed as something else, not really a part of the family. We are always gonna be an alien.

And once again, no problem if you are a tourist who are staying here for 3 weeks, and have no intention of creating any deeper bonds with a thai girl, och a thai wife and there extended family.

However, if you do plan to have a relationship and be a part of your thai family in a deeper sense, its not a good idea to call yourself a farang, or even think it is ok to be referred to that all the time.

By supporting the idea that we are "falang", or in my example a "long nose", we indirectly support the fact that it is ok for our extended family to always view us as something that is different from the rest of the family.

We are not part of the extended thai family, with Noy, Nok and Be, but rather Noy, Nok, Be and "that guy that is part of the long noses"

It is a much bigger chance that you will be, and feel part of your family if you are being referred to your name, than being called long nose (that is, the guy that belongs to the long noses, rather than our family)

Forumuser 10. What you say is perfectly clear in sound, simple English. By post #300, I am now of the belief that those people who dont/won't get your point are simply being argumentative for the sport of it, or are thicker than THEY think they are.

I think at this stage, you have made your point, given sufficient and reasonable examples and it's time to ignore those who I have alluded to above. Stop feeding them, and it would be helpful not refering to ourselves as "f......g" inappropriately, otherwise we shall continue to send a signal to Thais that it's always OK to call westerners "f......g".

• Like 1

We must have a differing perspective on things, I wouldnt consider man or meung to be racist, in fact I hear it more often than not used to refer to other Thais rather than farang.

Are the Thais being racist when they say farang have big noses or are they being factually correct.

The use of f-rang in Thailand is a SPECIFIC thing and you really can't directly compare it to other words in other countries. If you go to a hospital in Mexico, you are always Senor Such and Such. You aren't El Gringo. If you walk down the street in a provincial area, children don't gather around and point and laugh saying Gringo. Etc. etc. Not the same thing.

This point is interesting:

While in Spanish it simply identifies a foreigner, without any negative connotation,[1] in English the word is often considered offensive or disparaging.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gringo

Seems OK to me...... big noses run in my family..... coffee1.gif

The use of f-rang in Thailand is a SPECIFIC thing and you really can't directly compare it to other words in other countries. If you go to a hospital in Mexico, you are always Senor Such and Such. You aren't El Gringo. If you walk down the street in a provincial area, children don't gather around and point and laugh saying Gringo. Etc. etc. Not the same thing.

This point is interesting:

While in Spanish it simply identifies a foreigner, without any negative connotation,[1] in English the word is often considered offensive or disparaging.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gringo

Well thanks for the link above, I could say the same about farang, in Thai no problemo, in farangspeak or by those who have no understanding of the Thai language, "the word is often considered offensive or disparanging".

I certainly had no problemos in the Phillipines being referred to as a "'cano" even though I aint one.

The use is more an indication of education, status, class or upbringing rather than racist.

Too be perfectly honest I am more offended when I sit in a bar and hear farangs <deleted> and blinding than I am of the use of the word farang, usually I "check bin" and leave rather than be surrounded by the euro scum that seems to have appeared on these shores of late.

I had begun writing a post yesterday about the farang thing and abandoned, but I will try again today.

I quizzed some Thai friends about it for an hour or so (no, they aren't using "farang mun").

The result was that they use "farang" as a sort of classifier for humans, which for me explains why it is so hard to not use it in Thai language, especially in the lower classes, since their command of Thai is not good.

I had begun writing a post yesterday about the farang thing and abandoned, but I will try again today.

I quizzed some Thai friends about it for an hour or so (no, they aren't using "farang mun").

The result was that they use "farang" as a sort of classifier for humans, which for me explains why it is so hard to not use it in Thai language, especially in the lower classes, since their command of Thai is not good.

Wow, that's interesting. I'm pretty sure they told you what they wanted to hear. Now, do you believe it?

The 'pasaa boran' is quite a big deal here. Many off-shot ways of speaking thai would result in its user possibly being branded as 'ban nawk'.

Wasn't 'kon' the classifier for humans? Well, I guess if you're thai, it's the classifier for other thais coffee1.gif

Oh wait, sorry about that, manarak, I skimmed over the part that read 'sort of classifier for humans'

By the way, Jingthing, your new avatar is fabulous, by the way. *snap snap* Werk that gurl *snap snap*

Edited by hookedondhamma

No, it doesn't bother me. But what bother me is people who continually have to ask this question.

So being called a name based solely on the colour of your skin doesn't bother you but someone who is sometimes bothered by it bothers you?!

haha what a looney ey, someone needs to reassess their ethical priorities.

• Like 1

sorry mate, but aren't you kind of making a jump there?

wherever have i condoned, or suggested that thais (or i) find the use of the word "thing" (i assume you mean mun, or man) acceptable?

we are talking about the use of the word farang, and in most contexts, it doesn't bother me at all.

I am also not concerned about perpetuating a distance in my immediate family, friends or colleagues because to them i am father, or tinfoil, or uncle or brother. i do not have that issue and someone disrespecting me in my own home in any way will be politely shown the door or very sternly corrected. to date it has not occurred, and there are some very good reasons for that.

I have no issue referring to someone who refers to me as mun as mun in reciprocation and informing them that i believe their manners are sorely lacking . I find that far more offensive. in essence you are preaching to the choir on that issue.

When it does happen it is always someone of limited education and social status be it a bar girl, migrant construction worker, taxi driver or similar. I may hear and understand them very clearly, but I am not seeking acceptance from these people and it is highly unlikely i will ever encounter them twice.

Perhaps, in your setting these things are important to you, but to me it is simply not relevant what these people think. they have mere cameos in my life. your mileage may vary.

simply put i think thee whole argument is twaddle.

Edited by tinfoilhat
  • Like 2

No, it doesn't bother me. But what bother me is people who continually have to ask this question.

So being called a name based solely on the colour of your skin doesn't bother you but someone who is sometimes bothered by it bothers you?!

So people who know you still call you farang? That's rather odd. Does your wife call you farang?

And your OP is really misleading and inaccurate. People in the US, for example, are referred to by skin color/ethnicity all the time, e.g., African-Americans, blacks, whites, Caucasians, Hispanics, etc. But you're bringing up derogatory racial slurs which "farang" definitely is not. Many have tried to play that game and it only demonstrates their ignorance.

If your only concern is that people who know you still call you farang, that's one thing (and again, highly unusual). But the term farang is not offensive.

Where did I say that people who know me call me farang? I didn't. I said that I have been called farang by people even though they know my name such as in the transport office recently and also at the hospital, both of the people in question had my name on documents yet still called me Khun farang. But according to you that isn't rude, it is just Thai!

And people I come into contact with regularly, like at the local shop, could ask me my name (like I did theirs) but they would rather just call me farang.

Prefer being called a farang instead of an alien. passifier.gif

wherever have i condoned, or suggested that thais (or i) find the use of the word "thing" (i assume you mean mun, or man) acceptable?

we are talking about the use of the word farang, and in most contexts, it doesn't bother me at all.

I am also not concerned about perpetuating a distance in my immediate family, friends or colleagues because to them i am father, or tinfoil, or uncle or brother. i do not have that issue and someone disrespecting me in my own home in any way will be politely shown the door or very sternly corrected. to date it has not occurred, and there are some very good reasons for that.

I have no issue referring to someone who refers to me as mun as mun in reciprocation and informing them that i believe their manners are sorely lacking . I find that far more offensive. in essence you are preaching to the choir on that issue.

When it does happen it is always someone of limited education and social status be it a bar girl, migrant construction worker, taxi driver or similar. I may hear and understand them very clearly, but I am not seeking acceptance from these people and it is highly unlikely i will ever encounter them twice.

Perhaps, in your setting these things are important to you, but to me it is simply not relevant what these people think. they have mere cameos in my life. your mileage may vary.

Sounds to me like you are saying that blue collar workers are beneath you, therefore it doesn't matter what they say.

Very colonial of you

If you think this to be true, please try an expirement for me.

Next time you get in a cab with your Thai girlfriend say in earshot of the driver "man ja pai mai?"

Then say to the driver "meung sabai dee mai?"

Please do this and see what reaction you get; I predict your girlfriend will be extremely shocked, offended and embarrassed in front of the driver, and when you call the driver meung I will not be surprised when he takes out his tire iron under his seat.

Please do this and tell me if you get a positive reaction; otherwise explain to me how these words are not perceived as extremely offensive BY THAIS!

Let us know how it goeswink.png

Sounds to me like you are saying that blue collar workers are beneath you, therefore it doesn't matter what they say.

Very colonial of you

no, what i am saying is i cannot be bothered to sweat the little stuff.

jesus, you cant win around here

Next time you get in a cab with your Thai girlfriend say in earshot of the driver "man ja pai mai?"

Please do this and see what reaction you get; I predict your girlfriend will be extremely shocked, offended and embarrassed in front of the driver, and when you call the driver meung I will not be surprised when he takes out his tire iron under his seat.

Please do this and tell me if you get a positive reaction; otherwise explain to me how these words are not perceived as extremely offensive BY THAIS!

i suspect you employ hyperbole.

Edited by tinfoilhat

Would love to help, however one small problem, I dont have a girlfriend, I have a wife.

I said these words werent racist, I didnt say they werent derogatory.

Seeing as there are more Thais than farang here in Thailand, is it any wonder I usually hear these words used when Thais refer to other Thais.

You know as well as I there are pronouns used that to the untrained ear may sound derogatory, but when used amongst family or close friends are perfectly accepatable, ai and ee being prime examples.

As for Somchai pulling out a tyre lever it didnt happen the last time I was with a bunch of Thai friends and some gobshite prick was mouthing off, in fact it resulted in laughter and soot yots.

Scenario, sat outside a mom n pop shop knocking back beer with friends.

Somchai at the other table shouts to the owner, ouan ao yaa gan yung ma farang moho, fatty bring a mossie coil the farang is pissed off.

What this gobshite wasnt aware of, I knew exactly what was being said as did the Thais I was sat with, so I shouted back to the owner, ouan farang mai pen rai jek gohok, fatty the farang has no problem the chinky is lieing. Much laughter from the locals, Somcahi didnt know whether to smile or shit himself.

"otherwise explain to me how these words are not perceived as extremely offensive BY THAIS!"

Answered above.

Very colonial of you

no, what i am saying is i cannot be bothered to sweat the little stuff.

jesus, you cant win around here

need to spend less time sweating the petty stuff and more time petting the sweaty stuff. This is Thailand after all. tongue.png

Seeing as there are more Thais than farang here in Thailand, is it any wonder I usually hear these words used when Thais refer to other Thais.

You know as well as I there are pronouns used that to the untrained ear may sound derogatory, but when used amongst family or close friends are perfectly accepatable, ai and ee being prime examples.

ok.. there is a few different words being mixed together here. "Meung" and "goo" are often used by thais when talking to each other when they are very close as in friends/family. They are the equiv of "you" and "me" but in a VERY informal manner. If used with someone you are not close to then it's seen as very rude to be so informal with them

Now, "mun" is quite a different story. "mun" is the equivalent of "it". This is not commonly used by even very close thais to refer to each other. I often hear "mun" used to refer to westerners and it goes to show the level of respect the give to us. I would much rather be referred to as "farang" when they are speaking about me than "mun". No one calls you "mun". They refer to you as "mun" (it).

Anyway, I can guarantee you that Asians get called a lot worse in our western countries.whistling.gif

Maybe by some but that is not the norm. Here, westerners being called "farang" is the norm rather than the exception.

Yes, which makes the same point. The word is built into the Thai language as the norm..No need to get offended because of a difference in culture or language habits.

In the west we also don't approve of saying "Hey you....." as a way to address someone, but some Thais don't know any better. Do you also get offended when a Thai calls out "Hey you.." as you walk by?

Having said that, if a Thai is introduced to you by your real name and still persists in referring to you as "farang", i would also be wondering about that persons manners or education level.

Having said that, if a Thai is introduced to you by your real name and still persists in referring to you as "farang", i would also be wondering about that persons manners or education level.

Elementary thumbsup.gif

There are probably people in the world that would get upset at being referred to as Caucasian. i think the resentment lies within the person that feels as though they are being discriminated against more-so than the person using the term.

Me for instance, I am white. I will never be insulted at being called white, being called whitey, pork or any other names causes me no offense and never will. Even being called Paddy or anything else will not upset me.

That's a good point. And I think it's something that is beyond the comprehension of many here. For instance, in the USA, some whites like to compare being called "honky" or "cracker" with the infamous "N" word. Well it's really not the same, is it? In order for a racial term to be truly offensive, there has to be a historical context, i.e., past history of racial oppression. Whites have never been discriminated the same way as blacks in America. Not even close.

So in Thailand, I try to be patient with farangs complaining about the word "farang," yet, I find it almost comical when compared to other racial injustices around the world. If anything, the word "farang" denotes privilege and international worldliness, among other things. Of course, that is changing slowly as farangs may no longer be looked at that way...except maybe amongst the peasant class.

But I agree with you that those who feel resentment are more apt to have internal issues rather than anything real.

In Thailand "Farangs" have less rights making them less privileged in Thailand.

Are you serious? I hope you're not comparing this "less privileged" thing to the discrimination faced by blacks in the US back in the day.

I'd say farangs in Thailand have about the same rights as foreigners, or non-citizens, in most countries, if not more.

I'd say farangs in Thailand have about the same rights as foreigners, or non-citizens, in most countries, if not more.

cheesy.gif Very funny indeed... sick.gif

but I finally realized that, however long I tried, I would never really become a Thai, and that I would be a Farang forever.

One HUGE reason for this is, that we accept it and even call ourselves that.

If you are a tourist, or you never have any intention to make deep bonds with a thai person, sure, we can laugh it off.

But if anyone want to be a part of a thai family, as is the case for many of us who have a thai girlfriend or a thai wife, we sure should not use the word farang, it will only put a distance between you and the rest of the family, and it will make it easier for some evil minded thais to rip us off, or view us as ATM machines...

Impossible to generalize, I suppose some Westerners are accepted (more/less/not at all) by their Thai families, some are loved (more/less/not at all) it will make a big difference using the name!