New Cars: Not All The Fancy Features Apply To Thai Roads

jbowman1993

The Nation

Friday, 27 January 2006

Pattanadesh Asasappakij

New cars: not all the fancy features apply to Thai roads

New cars usually include a big variety of standard features, making it easier for consumers to make decisions when buying. That’s because, when comparing models in the same price range, the car that has more features is surely the one with the better value.

At the same time, it should be remembered that certain features that come with some cars may not be appropriate for Thailand’s driving conditions.

Some of these features also require a lot of money to keep them operating, so although they may seem to add value to a car, they may turn out to create an unnecessary burden.

Khun asranu_jane asks:

My car comes with a function called “cruise”, but no matter how I try to use it, it won’t work. I’ve already tried to follow the instructions in the owner’s manual. My question is: what does the “cruise” function do and how do I use it?

It is a pity that you didn’t mention the brand and model of your car, because different brands have their own way of operating these systems.

However, I’ll give you as much detail as possible and if you still don’t understand then you might have to go to the service centre of your particular brand and get technical advice.

The “cruise control” function makes the car maintain a steady speed while allowing the driver to take his foot off the accelerator. It is usually offered in larger sedans and SUVs with engine sizes larger than 2,000cc, mostly for the US market.

Cruise control is a function that I consider a waste of technology.

I’ve travelled around the world and the only two countries in which cruise control would be useful are the United States and Australia, because they are very big countries and the roads can be very straight and long.

There is not much traffic on the highways while speed limits are strictly enforced.

In Thailand there is little opportunity to engage cruise control because the roads are filled with traffic travelling at different speeds.

There are many roads that are bumpy, and when there is strong vibration or the brake pedal is depressed – even slightly – the cruise control automatically disengages. So it’s not really suitable for Thailand.

To make use of cruise control, you must first achieve the desired cruising speed and then press the cruise-control button for three to five seconds, depending on the brand of car.

Once engaged, you can remove your foot from the gas pedal and the car will maintain a steady speed.

In some cars you can manually increase or decrease the cruising speed by using the cruise control buttons. In others you can raise the cruising speed by using the accelerator but you may not be able to reduce the speed.

As well as cruise control, traction control seems to me to be another useless piece of equipment in this country. Its main use is for driving in icy conditions and you can’t really find icy roads in Thailand.

So whenever you buy a car, as well as studying the equipment list, consider whether the features can be used in our driving conditions.

Many people, for instance, decide to buy 4x4 pickups, because the price is not much higher than two-wheel drive versions. But how many times will you engage the 4x4 system?

Many owners never get a chance to use the 4x4 system because they never go off road and never drive in really demanding conditions.

The truck is also heavier, so it consumes more fuel, and there are additional expenses involved in maintaining a 4x4 system.

It is a bit like a housewife buying something at a department store because of the free gifts that come with it and not because she really wants the original item.

I agree, cruise control in Thailand is pretty useless. Back in the states on long haul trips it was definitely nice to have but here I would consider it actually dangerous. I disagree about traction control. I'ts not just useful under icey conditions but also useful here in the rainy seasons. A little water mixed with road oil, nearly the same as ice.

Even in the US, I would hardly ever use cruise. There where just too many 18 wheelers trying to set speed records. Every time I get frustrated with driving in Thailand, i just stop to remember the trucks on US Interstate 40, between Nashville and Memphis, and I immediately relax and thank my lucky stars I live here now.

Peace

Another feature I like but the Thai's seem oblivious too are the electrically collapsible side mirrors. Mine are pretty much shot now because the "considerate" parking attendants manually shove them in before I can close them. Nothing worse then that 'crunching' sound as the gears start stripping. :o

I agree with what was said about sunroofs and cruise control; both are useless in Thailand. I once had a car with a sunroof in South Florida and I rarely opened it. With the heat, humidity and air pollution of Bangkok, a sunroof is out of the question. The same goes for cruise control where you have to constantly change your speed while driving. The cruise control I had on one of my cars broke shortly after I bought it. Also, my other cars didn't have cruise control so I'm used to not driving with it.

I actually miss cruise control and think it has benefits.

On long drives it is usefull to engage it as it lets you stretch and rest your right leg and foot.

I sometimes put my left foot on the accelerator on long open stretches of road to rest my right leg and it makes a big difference to your comfort. Don't get excited, I do it very safely briefly and only when there is no traffic.

Can't imagine what up country farmers would make of it though....

I have "Parktronic" on the wife's Mercedes S in BKK. It is useful due to the tight parking in Bangkok. Cruise control is almost impossible to use in Thailand. However, I like the folding top on my SLK. In the States "Distronic" in conjunction with cruise control is very handy.

I have "Parktronic" on the wife's Mercedes S in BKK. It is useful due to the tight parking in Bangkok. Cruise control is almost impossible to use in Thailand. However, I like the folding top on my SLK. In the States "Distronic" in conjunction with cruise control is very handy.

This is how the top folds on the SL