Thais Have Been Outdone Regarding Hub Of Welding

chantsurfer

First Thai people I ever met were welders on an oil pipeline job in Gabon. There are Thai welders working all over the Middle East and Africa. They are coded to a very high standard. Last ones I spoke to were from Chiang Mai, were working 6 months on and 2 months off contracts in South Africa, but working on contracts up and down the West African coast. Their employer was very happy with them and they were very happy with ther lot.

As a general comment, the same can be said with some Thai sparkies kind of thing. The good ones are working in oil and gas or the big corps etc. What is left for the houses etc are extreamly substandard. Silly farlangs expect a Thai sparkythat comes to your house to have had basic training and be just a tiny bit competent. Well, Wrong.

First Thai people I ever met were welders on an oil pipeline job in Gabon. There are Thai welders working all over the Middle East and Africa. They are coded to a very high standard. Last ones I spoke to were from Chiang Mai, were working 6 months on and 2 months off contracts in South Africa, but working on contracts up and down the West African coast. Their employer was very happy with them and they were very happy with ther lot.

As a general comment, the same can be said with some Thai sparkies kind of thing. The good ones are working in oil and gas or the big corps etc. What is left for the houses etc are extreamly substandard. Silly farlangs expect a Thai sparkythat comes to your house to have had basic training and be just a tiny bit competent. Well, Wrong.

The problem is, that there is no formal training whatsoever. The guy who did the plumbing yesterday comes tomorrow and introduces himself as electrician.

The Thai German Institute actually trains for many years welders, CNC operators etc. by German standards. Those who get a formal training work indeed in qualified jobs and earn much more than you would be willing to pay for someone to come around your house to fix something.

I remember about 10 years ago when I was working for a packaging company, our Thai chief engineer had to go to the US to show the engineers in our US factory how to make the machines run more efficiently.

Now as we are at it...can someone explain me how that works?

From what I see there is going 220V into that welding thingmy and on the other side a wire goes to the welding rod. I presume there is a transformer and a AC to DC converter in this box.

So in the moment he puts the box in the water, why does the 220V does not shortcut to ground through the body of that welder?

It is more likely that the system voltage is 110VAC and the voltage on load is about 30VAC between the welding rod and the steelwork, with the device in series ( a resistance or a reactance) on the neutral side giving about 80VAC drop. The welding current would be around maybe possibly 30 amps. The connection is certainly potentially hazardous.

The actual voltage is not indicated, if it was 220V those figures would be 160VAC and 60VAC.

Was this photograph taken in Thailand?

Now as we are at it...can someone explain me how that works?

From what I see there is going 220V into that welding thingmy and on the other side a wire goes to the welding rod. I presume there is a transformer and a AC to DC converter in this box.

So in the moment he puts the box in the water, why does the 220V does not shortcut to ground through the body of that welder?

perhaps the welder had a protecting tattoo on his back? tongue.png

joke aside... Crossy / Electau your explanations please. no dissertation for a "Ph.D. sparc." please! two simple sentences for us laymen will suffice.

Klikster

you say you built tailpipes without a certified welder in your shop?

I am assuming these tailpipes were going on a thai aircraft is that correct?

beibg a certified aircraft welder myself i no you would not be able to fit these pipes to an Aircraft in australia

without the correct paperwork and it being signed off by a certified current aircraft welder, i am sure the same goes

for the U.S

As for the galley equipment that i think would be ok as not being a structural part of the aircraft or a critical component.

As for what you say about the welders i tend to agree to a certain extent if they are good welders can do the job

then great as long as you are happy with there work?

Are you a qualified welder?

just wondering

Klikster

you say you built tailpipes without a certified welder in your shop?

I am assuming these tailpipes were going on a thai aircraft is that correct?

beibg a certified aircraft welder myself i no you would not be able to fit these pipes to an Aircraft in australia

without the correct paperwork and it being signed off by a certified current aircraft welder, i am sure the same goes

for the U.S

As for the galley equipment that i think would be ok as not being a structural part of the aircraft or a critical component.

As for what you say about the welders i tend to agree to a certain extent if they are good welders can do the job

then great as long as you are happy with there work?

Are you a qualified welder?

just wondering

My shop was in Anaheim, California, the aircraft retrofitter was in Carlsbad, California. That work was done in late '70's. If you want to know the name of the company doing the retrofit, send me a PM.

" .. i am sure the same goes for the U.S"

Either you are wrong about requirements in the U. S. in the '70's or the retrofitter fudged. Or maybe because it was retrofit rather than OEM certification was not required.

As an aside, we had to have special Marman flange rings machined .. the small quantities in 321 alloy made meeting realistic schedules impossibe if ordering from Marman.

I am not a welder .. have never claimed to be a welder .. although I have done a little bit of MIG welding in my own shop. I owned a precision sheet metal facility. So, in short, I was "in the business" rather than being "in the trade/profession."

In previous years I worked for firms associated with suppiers of equipment for refinereries, i.e., air-cooled and shell & tube heat exchangers. I spent enough time in and around fab shops and in refineries troubleshooting equipment failures to pick up a bit of the lingo.

Someone laughed about my "climbing on piperacks" comment, but I recall climbing about 4 stories up a ladder to inspect a fan failure. Than was the Hess Oil refinery on St. Croix.

Edited by klikster

klikster,

i do not know about the 70's in the u.s i am abit more recent than that i started in aviation early 90's

then it was a requirement that any aircraft part with a yellow tag as used in the u.s had to have

certified paperwork if being retrofitted,repaired and put back onto an aircraft for traceability

as for me asking whether you were a welder i was just wondering i no you didn't claim to be a welder

just wondering how many expats living in thai that are welders and still in the game here?

maybe i will start a new thread to ask this ?