Thais Have Been Outdone Regarding Hub Of Welding

chantsurfer

Great way to plug in a welding machine into the grid...clap2.gif You will have superior welded joints while the rest of the structure gets burnt down.

And this skill welder may have a short career due to loss of his eyes...wai.gif

He clever he closes one eye so always keeping a spare...........................cunning eh?

You do not use the 220V supply( or 110V ) for AC welding. It is potentially hazardous. The welder primary is connected across the 220V supply and the secondary winding is the welding supply.This has an opencircuit voltage of about 80VAC which drops on load (welding) to about 30VAC.

The hazard here ( in the movie clip) is elecrocution, severe burns and fire. The incoming main do not have a protective device installed on the line side of the metering. It is obvious that the person using this equipment does not know anything about Electrical safety,Workplace Health and Safety or welding practice.

Alternatively a transformerless AC/DC welder can be used, these have a split mode power supply and are smaller and lighter.

Edited by electau

Heres what my local welder did before and after................I was so impressed I made him take the whole roof off and do it properly which he did.........Crazy!!

That looks like the begging of our roof. Dogpiled or Maggot welds Horrible penetration & burnt holes everywhere. I had the welding cew come down & look at how to set the welder for the right penetration & not wide open or whatever some jerkoff had it set at last. Then I took the 3 guys & showed them the nice bead I wanted instead of spot welds. Same stork remove the unsatisfactry welds & regrind & start over. I am building house # 3 (a true glutten for punishment) And if need be if the new crew is horribly unskilled I will do the welding myself! I don't see why it is so hard for Thais to get the jist of how to in welding. Within the first week in a Weldin tech school you learn how to set the power & select the proper sticks for the type of metal. You think someone would teach the basic fundementals to the welding boys. It really is easy. Takes more savvyness to be a good cook!

Heres what my local welder did before and after................I was so impressed I made him take the whole roof off and do it properly which he did.........Crazy!!

I don't see why it is so hard for Thais to get the jist of how to in welding. Within the first week in a Weldin tech school you learn how to set the power & select the proper sticks for the type of metal. You think someone would teach the basic fundementals to the welding boys. It really is easy.

There are loads of very good coded welders in Thailand, the ones welding roof trusses in these examples are not welders, they are rod burners.

As with most things in life you get what you pay for, pay cr*p money get cr*p....a good coded Thai welder is getting paid in the order of US$ 150-200+/day and can assure you they would leave you for dead when it comes to welding skills from both quality & productivity

I don't see why it is so hard for Thais to get the jist of how to in welding. Within the first week in a Weldin tech school you learn how to set the power & select the proper sticks for the type of metal. You think someone would teach the basic fundementals to the welding boys. It really is easy.

There are loads of very good coded welders in Thailand, the ones welding roof trusses in these examples are not welders, they are rod burners.

As with most things in life you get what you pay for, pay cr*p money get cr*p....a good coded Thai welder is getting paid in the order of US$ 150-200+/day and can assure you they would leave you for dead when it comes to welding skills from both quality & productivity

i would agree on everything except your last comment. I have close to 40 years as a auto body & structual welder & Soutpeel in all honest I would lay down my entire net worth against yours that my experience in fabricating Hot rods auto bodys made for NHRA work I have done for United air on aircraft. Contracts I have carried for Morton Thiokol( including Government commisions & structural on the golden gate bridge in SF. If your game lets go down to singapore & I will relieve your funds on a welding competition. Don't be so crass. Besides who really gives a fck anyway. you are very insultive since you joined & most believe you are a googler anyway!

Edited by Beardog
  • Like 1

i would agree on everything except your last comment. I have close to 40 years as a auto body & structual welder & Soutpeel in all honest I would lay down my entire net worth against yours that my experience in fabricating Hot rods auto bodys made for NHRA work I have done for United air on aircraft. Contracts I have carried for Morton Thiokol( including Government commisions & structural on the golden gate bridge in SF. If your game lets go down to singapore & I will relieve your funds on a welding competition. Don't be so crass. Besides who really gives a fck anyway. you are very insultive since you joined & most believe you are a googler anyway!

Dont see any where in what I posted where I challanged you to a welding competion, you made the normal TV generalisations about Thai people not know what they are doing and was I correcting you based on first hand experience, so rather childish dont you think in your repsonse.

Believe what you want, as regards accusing me of "googling" but lets just say I do know my way around PQR's, WPS and WQT, welding engineering & metallurgy as applicable to the vast majority of international welding and construction/fabrication codes ....wink.png so if you wish to debate on any of these topic's please free to do so and I will gladly partipate....thumbsup.gif

First Thai people I ever met were welders on an oil pipeline job in Gabon. There are Thai welders working all over the Middle East and Africa. They are coded to a very high standard. Last ones I spoke to were from Chiang Mai, were working 6 months on and 2 months off contracts in South Africa, but working on contracts up and down the West African coast. Their employer was very happy with them and they were very happy with ther lot.

• Like 1

First Thai people I ever met were welders on an oil pipeline job in Gabon. There are Thai welders working all over the Middle East and Africa. They are coded to a very high standard. Last ones I spoke to were from Chiang Mai, were working 6 months on and 2 months off contracts in South Africa, but working on contracts up and down the West African coast. Their employer was very happy with them and they were very happy with ther lot.

This cant be true, as according to some of TV's faithful, Thai's couldnt weld two bits of fence wire together without help from a farang...whistling.gif

Seriously there are some really good guys about, who wouldnt waste their time/skills on welding house roof trusses in the wilds of Issan, and you are quite correct with your observation that these guys get out of Thailand and work rotation in other countries on reasonably good money.

Just because most Thais in Thailand can't weld, doesn't mean that most Thais are bad welders.

Conversely, just because "Thai welders working all over the Middle East and Africa are coded to a very high standard", doesn't mean that Thais are good welders.

Quite simply, correlation does not imply causation.

Edited by catrike

Just because most Thais in Thailand can't weld, doesn't mean that most Thais are bad welders.

Conversely, just because "Thai welders working all over the Middle East and Africa are coded to a very high standard", doesn't mean that Thais are good welders.

Quite simply, correlation does not imply causation.

OK Mr Pedantic. I'll rephrase what I said before. The Thai welders I saw in the oil industry were very good. As for the others you can kiss my a**e

It's a water cooled plant LOL.

And of course TV finest experts have forgotten a tecnique of welding called wet MMA used underwater by divers, granted this is DC supply, but in essence its a SMAW process. Due to my connection speed, unable to have a look at the video, but maybe this kit is not so daft as TV finest is making out, obviously taking into account "electau's" comments on the electrical safety aspect....wink.png

Being a qualified welder maybe i should open up school to teach these thais how to weld?

Would be a low paid job though

Agree with Soutpeel. "Qualified" Thai welders are every bit as good as UK and USA welders, and contrary to locally held belief they don't work for a bowl of rice a day.

Mind you I only have 25 years in the construction industry in O&G so I could be wrong.whistling.gif

• Like 1

Being a qualified welder maybe i should open up school to teach these thais how to weld?

Would be a low paid job though

You are about 15 years too late, there are quite a few welding schools about turning out some excellent Thai guys, who normally end working O&G on decent money both locally and internationally.

Okay, what's a "coded" welder. I have never heard that term used outside these threads of yours. I have heard "code" welder .. but "coded"? Are you perhaps mixing "code" and "certified"?

And while I'm on a rant ..

Just because a welder is not certified doesn't necessarily mean s/he cannot do precision quality welding. In my shop we built several sets of tailpipes for piston engine to turbo-prop conversion on twin engine private aircraft. 321 stainless, .032", transitions from 12" diameter to 10 " diameter going through 2 offsets. All butt welds.

And all without a "coded" welder in the shop.

• Like 1

That looks like the begging of our roof. Dogpiled or Maggot welds Horrible penetration & burnt holes everywhere. I had the welding cew come down & look at how to set the welder for the right penetration & not wide open or whatever some jerkoff had it set at last. Then I took the 3 guys & showed them the nice bead I wanted instead of spot welds. Same stork remove the unsatisfactry welds & regrind & start over. I am building house # 3 (a true glutten for punishment) And if need be if the new crew is horribly unskilled I will do the welding myself! I don't see why it is so hard for Thais to get the jist of how to in welding. Within the first week in a Weldin tech school you learn how to set the power & select the proper sticks for the type of metal. You think someone would teach the basic fundementals to the welding boys. It really is easy. Takes more savvyness to be a good cook!

There are good welders in Thailand, same as there are good floor tilers and good masons.The problem in most cases here is that the roof worker from today, was a floor tiler last week, and maybe a mason next week.

And even a bigger problem here is that no Thai takes honor in his job.

In the western world a craftsman is proud if he can deliver a good job,since he know that will deliver him probably a bonus, and for sure recommendations for other projects.

In Thailand the only thing that is considered is that the job is finished as quickly as possible, and then expect a bonus anyway.

Edited by jbrain

Training from a formal technical college or equivalent, theory and practical. generally this will be 4 years including experience with an employer.

Qualified. Will have the above.

Competent. Be able to carry out the required work to a satisfactory standard.

Standards may be covered by legislation.

Competency in more complex fields may require additional training requirements.

Edited by electau

Okay, what's a "coded" welder. I have never heard that term used outside these threads of yours. I have heard "code" welder .. but "coded"? Are you perhaps mixing "code" and "certified"?

And while I'm on a rant ..

Just because a welder is not certified doesn't necessarily mean s/he cannot do precision quality welding. In my shop we built several sets of tailpipes for piston engine to turbo-prop conversion on twin engine private aircraft. 321 stainless, .032", transitions from 12" diameter to 10 " diameter going through 2 offsets. All butt welds.

And all without a "coded" welder in the shop.

A coded welder is a common term and means a welder who has been practically tested and assessed in accordance with the governing specification / relevant codes of construction and the corrosponding WPS.

ie ASME VIII, or ANSI 31.3, ANSI 31.8 etc would would require welders to be coded under ASME section IX or say API 1104 in the case of pipe lines or in the case of structual AWS D1.1

The Generic term for these tests is called a WQT, and normally consists of a welder welding out a test coupon in accordance with the approved WPS in the presence of a certifed welding inspector and sometimes an appointed 3rd part such as ABS, Lloyds Register, BV etc...once completed the test coupons are subject to NDT, Typically radiography and MPI and some times destructive and metallurgical tests..If the test coupon passes the welder is now "coded"

I have not mixed the term certifed/coded, as under most of the common construction standards there is no "certifed" welder defintion per se, however we do have defintions of welders and welding operators which would be discussion for another day...wink.png

In your example not using a "certifed" welder, I am not up to speed on aircraft maintenance specification, but one assumes they would require all welders doing work an aircraft to be "coded" or "certifed", yet you state you using non-certifed welders, which would be a bit worrying for me if the specifications required a "coded" or "certifed" welder to carry out this particular work, if some thing went wrong, in future as a direct result of this the company concerned could be in for a whole heap of pain

A coded welder is a common term and means a welder who has been practically tested and assessed in accordance with the governing specification / relevant codes of construction and the corrosponding WPS.

Common to whom?

Maybe it's a Brit thing .. or a yuppie welder thing. I have climbed around on more refinery pipe racks that I care to remember -- and sold shell & tube heat exchangers built to TEMA codes, I never heard a welder say he was "coded".

"ASME VIII, or ANSI 31.3, ANSI 31.8 "

These are all codes. I think most U S. welders would say they are qualified or certified to/under a specific code. The reason is, a 'coded' welder for ASME may not be 'coded' for nuclear vessel work -- dontcha think!

Maybe if you didn't toss around so many initials --

"I have not mixed the term certifed/coded, as under most of the common construction standards there is no "certifed" welder defintion per se"

Maybe not 'per se' -- but 'per code'.

"In your example not using a "certifed" welder, I am not up to speed on aircraft maintenance specification .."

Then why comment on something you don't know about? I know it's your style, but your style can be very off-putting.

Better read up on what is an airframe, what is a powerplant, etc -- or would you have 'coded' welders doing the stainless galley equipment. In our case, the power-plant mfg made the design, we fabricated it, they inspected them -- and none dropped from the sky.

Edited by klikster
  • Like 1

Common to whom?

Maybe it's a Brit thing .. or a yuppie welder thing. I have climbed around on more refinery pipe racks that I care to remember -- and sold shell & tube heat exchangers built to TEMA codes, I never heard a welder say he was "coded".

"ASME VIII, or ANSI 31.3, ANSI 31.8 "

These are all codes. I think most U S. welders would say they are qualified or certified to/under a specific code. The reason is, a 'coded' welder for ASME may not be 'coded' for nuclear vessel work -- dontcha think!

Maybe if you didn't toss around so many initials --

"I have not mixed the term certifed/coded, as under most of the common construction standards there is no "certifed" welder defintion per se"

Maybe not 'per se' -- but 'per code'.

"In your example not using a "certifed" welder, I am not up to speed on aircraft maintenance specification .."

Then why comment on something you don't know about? I know it's your style, but your style can be very off-putting.

Better read up on what is an airframe, what is a powerplant, etc -- or would you have 'coded' welders doing the stainless galley equipment. In our case, the power-plant mfg made the design, we fabricated it, they inspected them -- and none dropped from the sky.

Yuppie welder thing...I have climbed round piping racks blah blah...cheesy.gif Must be an American thing

The "initials" are actually called acromyms and someone who is actually in the business and knows their stuff would know exactly what I am talking about...BTW TEMA references ASME Section VIII and Section IX out of interest for the most part

And regards nuclear construction codes these reference ASME as well, therefore a welder qualifed under section IX would be permitted to weld nuclear.

Trying reading this stuff you may learn something...once your finished with them come back and I will gladly debate any point as regards metallurgy, Welding engineering, code interpretation or welder qualification tests

as regards your last question/statement "or would you have 'coded' welders doing the stainless galley equipment"

The answer to this one is simple...if the designer or engineer for that kit required it then yes...thumbsup.gif

And even a bigger problem here is that no Thai takes honor in his job.

a generalising and unwarranted claim. the flooring subcontractor who laid >600m² marble in my home insisted to start at one end and let the gaps "flow" without any line break till the other end.

when i suggested doing independent rooms individually to make it easier he refused ("we don't do shoddy work!") even though he could have made the same money in much less time.