New Regulations For The Tct Provisional Teaching Permit/ Waiver As Of September 2012

aidenai

New regulations are introduced by The Teachers' Council of Thailand for the application of the provisional teaching permit/ waiver as of September 2012. The main differences between the new regulations and the ones introduced on 3 April 2012 but effective as of 1 February 2012 are:

• TOEFL and IELTS Certificates can be used instead of the TOEIC Certificate for non-native speakers of English
  • Ireland belongs to the countries where English is the native language
  • The non-immigrant O can be used for the application
  • Any documents in other languages than English have to be officially translated in the Thai language.

http://www.ksp.or.th...Requirement.pdf

http://www.ksp.or.th...cumentation.pdf

There are many different types of non-imm Os. I assume it's the one based on marriage to a Thai.

"Officially translated" is still a little ambiguous unless they define what "official" means. IE does it need to be legalized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs?

Wonderful, I just switched from an O visa to B visa because the teacher's council wouldn't give me the waiver.

My school only will pay the cost of the visa, but it doesn't cover any of the other expenses such as transportation or hotel room.

Thank you Thailand

Edited by mike123ca

Thanks for your reply.

They are my lines. Apologise. I didn't know I had to post the exact TCT lines.

Please read the TCT documents.

Their requirements are still vague regarding type of non Imm O visa, although it implies based on marriage. It doesn't state acceptable bands/scores for the language proficiency tests.

What does this mean "3. Having specific skills, abilities and knowledge needed for foreign teachers in the

teaching and learning of foreign language curriculum."?

I guess either experience or a TEFL certificate.

(my post is just thinking out loud Aidenai and is not a criticizm of your post)

Has anyone actually applied for a waiver recently? Anyone been turned down? Are they strict on the current rules?My current waiver, only my 1st as per the TCT website, runs out in April next year. I will not be able to finish my degree until, probably, May 2014. I am a bit concerned.

There are many different types of non-imm Os. I assume it's the one based on marriage to a Thai.

"Officially translated" is still a little ambiguous unless they define what "official" means. IE does it need to be legalized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs?

There is only one type of non-O visa, but it is issued for several reasons. The reason for the non-O is normally not stated. Not untill you get an extension of stay from immigration will there be a refference to the reason of the extension of stay.

Has anyone actually applied for a waiver recently? Anyone been turned down? Are they strict on the current rules?My current waiver, only my 1st as per the TCT website, runs out in April next year. I will not be able to finish my degree until, probably, May 2014. I am a bit concerned.

A second waiver should not be a problem, especially if you can show that you are studying.

A second waiver should not be a problem, especially if you can show that you are studying.

I fear there might be problems. The requirements state:

2. Hold a Bachelor’s degree which benefits education, and it must be certified by either the Teachers’ Council of Thailand (TCT) or the Teacher Civil Service and Educational Personnel Commission (TEPC) or the Civil Service Commission (CSC) or shown in the list at The World of ALMANAC (the applicant may check your degree certification at www.ksp.or.th by selecting “professional license section, foreign teacher’s qualification check” or at the website of TEPC or CSC).

http://www.ksp.or.th...Requirement.pdf

There is only one type of non-O visa, but it is issued for several reasons. The reason for the non-O is normally not stated. Not untill you get an extension of stay from immigration will there be a refference to the reason of the extension of stay.

You are not making any sort of point here. From the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website:

" - other activities (Category "O") as follows:

to stay with the family, to perfrom duties for the state enterprise or social welfare organizations, to stay after retirement for the elderly, to receive medical treatment, to be a sport coach as required by Thai Government, to be a contestant or witness for the judicial process."

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15398-Issuance-of-Visa.html

You are correct, the letter 'O' will be stamped in a passport and it is not different to an 'O' stamped in another passport. Letter 'O's look the same, unsurprisingly. However, there are many different reasons for having an 'O' stamped in your passport. I feel it's unlikely that if I arrive with an 'O' stamped because I'm coming for dental treatment, that I'll be able to extend as a teacher.

The point is that the non-O visa doesn't state why the visa was granted, so the TCT cannot check the reason. Only when you get an extension of stay is the reason mentioned and can the TCT check this. The reason for the extension can be entirely different from the reason why you got the visa. A non-O visa based on marriage can for example be extended for reason of working.

The point is that the non-O visa doesn't state why the visa was granted, so the TCT cannot check the reason. Only when you get an extension of stay is the reason mentioned and can the TCT check this. The reason for the extension can be entirely different from the reason why you got the visa. A non-O visa based on marriage can for example be extended for reason of working.

Ok, I take your point that the TCT probably cannot identify the reason for having an O stamped in the passport.

And, I know a non-imm O based on marriage can be extended for work. I did it. However, I still don't think Immigration is going to extend for work a non-imm O that was issued to a medical tourist. Technically, it may be possible, but in reality the officer is likely to tell the applicant to obtain a new visa (probably a B ). Therefore, it's pretty pointless obtaining a permanent or temporary TCT license with an O for anything other than marriage if Immigration are going to veto the visa extension. The TCT should clarify to avoid future problems.

Also, most teachers have their paperwork prepared by their school, and schools tend to be reluctant to prepare paperwork for anything other than the application they are familiar with (Bs). Hence, the school may insist on a B anyway.

Edited by Loaded

The immigraiton officer doesn't know why the non-O was issued. In some cases he wil be able to make a guess, such as when someone over 50 applies without being married to a Thai. But it can still be a non-O based on volunteering for instance, for which a work permit is granted.

Soe immigration offices are very strict, but most will just give one the extension of stay based on employment without questioning the reason why a non-O was issued. The same goes for the labour office. Some seem to have a problem with a non-O, most not.

What the TCT really should be looking at is if a person is able to get a work permit, but also that should not really be their concern. Their job is to check the qualifications, not to be immigraiton or labour office.

I plan on obtaining a one year O visa <based upon marriage> and potentially teaching on that - making border runs as opposed to extensions. Will this work for me?

Must I have a provisional certificate before I start teaching? Is this attached to the school, visa or wp? Is it renewable by self annually and independent of other processes?

I had read here on TV everyone gets a waiver as the test is set up to essentially fail?

If I have a waiver, will it assist me in getting a job over someone w/o?

Thanks

Must I have a provisional certificate before I start teaching?
Impossible. A provisional teaching permit is attached to the basic education school.
Is it renewable by self annually and independent of other processes?
You have to apply for it every two years or when changing schools.

Read more here: http://www.ksp.or.th...cumentation.pdf

The previous and current rule below applies to new teachers who are on a 90 days non-immigrant B visa prior applying for an extension of temporary stay at Immigration.

Copy of all pages of the applicant’s passport, the present Non- B Visa in particular. (Applicants shall submit all documents before the Non- B Visa expiration at least 30 days).

Teachers reported that they were refused a provisional teaching permit because of holding a non-immigrant O. Rigid interpretations on the side of the TCT employees.

So, The Teachers' Council of Thailand added the following in the September 2012 requirements.

In case of holding visa type “NON-O”, please attach a copy of marriage certificate or other related documents.

Thanks very much for all that. I reviewed the doc attached to the link as well.

So, I will have to work two weeks without a wp? Do I get a receipt to show the paperwork has been filed? So if I have some hassles I can show that the paperwork is forthcoming?

So everyone basically teaches on the provisional due to terms and conditions not even asked for in Japan?

Aidenai - you had stated that the certificate is good until you leave the school (with no time limit)? Curious, I am sure there is a huge migration of teachers to and fro annually.

Aidenai - you had stated that the certificate is good until you leave the school (with no time limit)?
You have to apply for it every two years or when changing schools. i.e. when you change schools after one year, you have to apply for a new one. When you stay at the school, you have to apply for a new one after two years.