Trains In North Stopped As Wet Causes Sinkhole

Lite Beer

Trains in North stopped as wet causes sinkhole

The Nation on Sunday

30190023-01_big.jpg

Chiang Mai: -- Forest run-off from Khun Tan Mountain caused a large sinkhole under the northern rail line in Lamphun yesterday morning, prompting the suspension of train services from Chiang Mai and Lamphun.

As rainfall continued in northern Thailand, six villages in Tambon Jae Son's in Lampang's Muang Pan district were hit by forest run-off 1.5m to 2m-deep at 3am yesterday, while a landslide blocked the entrance of Pang Ton Noon Ville and marooned 60 households.

Jae Son National Park had to close its mineral-water bath for two days and prohibited visitors from swimming in its waterfalls.

Meanwhile, a landslide blocked a rail line and several spots suffered flooding in Lamphun's Mae Tha district. Forest run-off from Khun Tan Mountain in Lamphun's Muang district causing a 50m-wide 50m-deep sinkhole underneath railway at 4am; caused the train services to Lamphun and Chiang Mai to halt. Train passengers had to take buses from Lampang Train Station to Lamphun and Chiang Mai instead. Officials needed up to 10 days to fix the railway. The landslide also blocked the entrance to Khun Tan National Park and Khun Tan Moo 8 Village.

Lamphun as well as those in Tak, Khamphaeng Phetch, Chanthaburi, Trat, Ranong and Phang Nga were warned of 4-5 days of heavy rains. Lamphun Irrigation Office urged Ban Thi district residents to move belongings to higher ground and brace for flooding as the now-brimming Mae Thi Reservoir might overflow. Tak's Um Phang district chief Suchat Theekhasuk eyed on announcing the flood-hit district as a disaster zone.

In the Northteastern province of Chaiyaphum's Nong Bua Daeng dsitrict, forest run-offs from Phu Khieo Wildlife Sanctuary caused Chi River to rise by two meters and swept away a concrete bridge as well as damaging 200 rais of sugarcane plantations in Tambon Wang Chompoo Friday night. Chi riverside residents in downstream Nong Bua Rawe, Chatturat and Ban Khwao districts were urged to prepare for flood in 1-2 days. Lam Pa Tao Dam was still brimming and releasing some water out, hence downstream people in Muang Chaiyaphum were to be on guard in 1-2 days.

In Ranong, disaster prevention and mitigation official Chawalit Nithornrat warned tourists not to trek or swim in seven waterfalls (Ngao, Punyabal, Ton Phetch, Bok Krai, Chum Saeng, Suwansiri, Rak Loy), while officials were told to watch for possible flash flood, forest run-off, landslide at Muang, La Oon, Kapor and Suk Samran districts. Chawalit also reported that 250 villagers were affected and eight roads were damaged from September 5-7 flooding and warned Ranong residents of downpours until September 10.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-09-09

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's much, much more than just a sinkhole, and if repaired properly will stop the trains running for quite some time as the infrastructure will have to be strengthened considerably to make sure it doesn't just collapse again within days of reopening.

You have to have a giggle when you think about the possibilities of this country ever building a High Speed Railway network when they can't even maintain the old system in any decent manner. One shudders to think of the possibilities of riding at 300 kph on a system not maintained to the highest possible standards.

• Like 1

That explains why the trains need to travel so slowly.

Regarding the high speed trains, the technology available now to determine construction requirements are just a little bit better than those from a century ago.

Well, thai engineers have not yet reached the construction level from a century ago. Go figure.

That's much, much more than just a sinkhole, and if repaired properly will stop the trains running for quite some time as the infrastructure will have to be strengthened considerably to make sure it doesn't just collapse again within days of reopening. You have to have a giggle when you think about the possibilities of this country ever building a High Speed Railway network when they can't even maintain the old system in any decent manner. One shudders to think of the possibilities of riding at 300 kph on a system not maintained to the highest possible standards.

As An X Locomotive Driver I agree. I need a cuppa.coffee1.gif .

The yard stick for assessing weather and rail track conditions:

"Jae Son National Park had to close its mineral-water bath for two days and prohibited visitors from swimming in its waterfalls."

Edited by Morakot

Repairing this in only 10 days ? Spread over how many months would that be ?

Except for the filling there are a number of tests to be done before they can allow trains passing in that area again.

Anyway, I planned to catch a night train to BKK with wife and son on 01 October... future looks bright again.

That explains why the trains need to travel so slowly.

Regarding the high speed trains, the technology available now to determine construction requirements are just a little bit better than those from a century ago.

I don't think people have a problem with the new and even old technology. The lack of confidence is in the government adhering to these standard practices. Too often, short cuts and cost cutting comprise the initial construction. And don't get me started on maintenance once the project is completed.

Except for the filling there are a number of tests to be done before they can allow trains passing in that area again.

Anyway, I planned to catch a night train to BKK with wife and son on 01 October... future looks bright again.

Which year were you planning to go by train?

• Like 1

That's much, much more than just a sinkhole, and if repaired properly will stop the trains running for quite some time as the infrastructure will have to be strengthened considerably to make sure it doesn't just collapse again within days of reopening.

You have to have a giggle when you think about the possibilities of this country ever building a High Speed Railway network when they can't even maintain the old system in any decent manner. One shudders to think of the possibilities of riding at 300 kph on a system not maintained to the highest possible standards.

the sinking runways were a bad omen to begin with ermm.gif

Edited by Asiantravel

I can't believe the naysayers drivel at times and I am far from being an apologist, but at least the good news is that it didn't cause an accident and authorities were quick to act to stop further operations on that section of rail line.

What exactly is the good news?

Which year were you planning to go by train?

5555... I noticed I forgot to mention we were leaving still this year..