Finding Chili Peppers In Bangkok For Salsa...where?

Silurian

Does anyone know of a good store to find green chili peppers and jalapeno chili peppers in Bangkok? I have tried several stores like Villa Market, Foodland and Gourmet Market but can't seem to locate these two types of chili peppers.

Hello All, just got back from The Mall Korat, on the package it

says: www.royalprojectthailand.com

I usually grow my own, I'm in between crops now and only have

a serranos and waiting for the jals sprout.

Just bought these jals.

rice555

post-37242-0-45767700-1347195941_thumb.j

post-37242-0-54676500-1347195997_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All, just got back from The Mall Korat, on the package it

says: www.royalprojectthailand.com

I usually grow my own, I'm in between crops now and only have

a serranos and waiting for the jals sprout.

Just bought these jals.

rice555

I'm looking for some corn meal-- not the corn flour, And hey, where did you get the seeds, I brought some from the US last year but they didn't sprout at all. I would love to get some. I live just north of Korat.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I finally found some Jalapeno chili peppers at Foodland. I did find various "green" looking chili peppers but they didn't seem to be quite the right ones. Anyway, the wife's sister just came back from the US and brought some canned green chilis which will work. The wife whipped up another batch of salsa using a mix of chilis from Thailand and from the US. It is not quite the same but it will do.

I tried growing chili peppers in Bangkok (2nd floor patio garden) but was not successful. They never got big enough before the plant ended up dying. I think I might have started them at the wrong time.

• 7 months later...

Thanks for all the suggestions. I finally found some Jalapeno chili peppers at Foodland. I did find various "green" looking chili peppers but they didn't seem to be quite the right ones. Anyway, the wife's sister just came back from the US and brought some canned green chilis which will work. The wife whipped up another batch of salsa using a mix of chilis from Thailand and from the US. It is not quite the same but it will do.

I tried growing chili peppers in Bangkok (2nd floor patio garden) but was not successful. They never got big enough before the plant ended up dying. I think I might have started them at the wrong time.

I have jalapeno seeds and fresh jalapenos when is season and also pickled home made jalapenos if anyone is interested.nalo2006atgimaildotcom

Villa market on soi 33 has them, both kings project and US import, I just bought some yesterday and they seem to have them everytime I go, also the habenros. US ones are hotter than the japaleos from Thailand!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got some Jalapeno, Serrano, and Pasilla seeds from my family, the jalapenos took a long time to germinate but now are going great, I found that it is not good to plant directly in the soil in Thailand. All are growing in containers, with store brought compost.

I just planted the Serrano's yesterday and hope I have as much success as with the Jalapeno's, not a complete victory over Thai dirt pest, I still have a long way to go before they are fully grown.

I will use them only for flavor and Thai chilies for heat!

Cheers:smile.png

The Thai jalapenos I buy in Pattaya are generally some of WEAKEST ones I've ever tasted. That said, I still buy them as I'm desperate. My usual sources (Villa and Royal Project Market) have not stocked these peppers for many weeks now.

If using any peppers if you want to make a more authentic Mexican salsa first ROAST the peppers with no oil in a hot pan actually until they start to get a little burnt. Tomatoes and onions too. You'll taste the difference!