All Folders On My Usb Drive Now Have No Content..

bapak

All folders on my USB drive now have no content... However, they do have a shortcut flag.... shortcut goes to: C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c mziwmda.exe & explorer.exe F:\Banned

There is nothing there. USB drive has been scanned for malware and virus with no indications.

Sounds like the Recycler Virus. It turned all my folders into short cuts with no content inside. This happened once when I put a stick into a computer in a business center and once in the local school. Lost the content on the stick both times!

I formatted the USB drive on both occasions because I had back ups both times.....Searching on forums I found no solution.....

Sounds like the Recycler Virus. It turned all my folders into short cuts with no content inside. This happened once when I put a stick into a computer in a business center and once in the local school. Lost the content on the stick both times!

I formatted the USB drive on both occasions because I had back ups both times.....Searching on forums I found no solution.....

you mean if I have that virus and next time I put in my USB backup drive I end with my backups lost and my computer infected......

Scary....

first you need to try looking the space of the external unit, if you have full of free space probably you lost all, but if see that something is taking the space probably the virus only hide your folders and files

Try this:

open the usb (folder) got to organize -> folder and search options -> view and in this windows check these items:

hideen files and folders -> show hidden files folders and drives

uncheck these:

hidden extension for known file types

hide protected operating system files

and press ok, now you can see a lot of files usually hidden for the user, try to find your folders and files, later format the usb unit, and after that rever the changes in "organize" if you want.

if not find any file and there was something important you can try with some recovery tool

first you need to try looking the space of the external unit, if you have full of free space probably you lost all, but if see that something is taking the space probably the virus only hide your folders and files

Try this:

open the usb (folder) got to organize -> folder and search options -> view and in this windows check these items:

hideen files and folders -> show hidden files folders and drives

uncheck these:

hidden extension for known file types

hide protected operating system files

and press ok, now you can see a lot of files usually hidden for the user, try to find your folders and files, later format the usb unit, and after that rever the changes in "organize" if you want.

if not find any file and there was something important you can try with some recovery tool

I am tardy in my response... Little while I done exactly what suggested... and all was revealed... Am now doing full format of the USB and will check if the nasty is still around.

Thanks all.

Probably is not only Kido, I don't know why antivirus are so slow to detetct this kind of worms, many PC get infected before the antivirus detect the infection.

I have some tips about how to prevent but I need to rememebr or find where...

Download a program called FreeCommander.

You have a virus that hides the original folders then links the them using an .exe, usually the virus comes from an internet cafe.

The .exe spreads the virus everytime you use it.

Freecommander will show the virus files on both your PC and the USB stick, and you can then delete them.

Edited by TommoPhysicist