Sukhothai Business District Flooded

webfact

BTW, does anybody know if the ancient ruins in Sukkothai are better protected now, or were they destroyed too much anyway last year? 'Unfortunately' I couldn't visit the governement water management propaganda show recently rolleyes.gif , and there seems to be hardly any other information about what has been done so far, escpecially not outside of Bangkok.

The ruins in Sukhothai are about 10km from the river. I don't think they flooded last year and I'm fairly sure that they are not flooded now, though someone on the ground there might be able to confirm or refute that.

Mixed it up with Ayutthaya then, thanks for the correction.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the governments plan It will take five years to complete the upgrading of the existing defenses and the addition of Hi Grade Defenses to High Value asset areas such as industrial parks and high risk risk towns and villages. It is inevitable as the project advances some existing defenses will fail as the transference of hydraulic pressure profiles are redistributed by the effect of new flood defense works. All everyone has to do is to keep faith with the overall objective and to trust that the end result will have enduring integrity. Meanwhile carefully collected data of all events will enable the water management engineers to update their overall design to include all weaknesses discovered in older water management works. Personally I am confident that the plan will provide an integrated water management system protecting all of Thailand. However Thailand will always be vulnerable to flash floods and extreme run off events. Thailand's water management engineers will need to develop separate safety and management procedures for such events.

All everyone has to do is to keep faith with the overall objective and to trust that the end result will have enduring integrity.

Trust, integrity in this government? This is a double oxymoron.

According to the governments plan It will take five years to complete the upgrading of the existing defenses and the addition of Hi Grade Defenses to High Value asset areas such as industrial parks and high risk risk towns and villages. It is inevitable as the project advances some existing defenses will fail as the transference of hydraulic pressure profiles are redistributed by the effect of new flood defense works. All everyone has to do is to keep faith with the overall objective and to trust that the end result will have enduring integrity. Meanwhile carefully collected data of all events will enable the water management engineers to update their overall design to include all weaknesses discovered in older water management works. Personally I am confident that the plan will provide an integrated water management system protecting all of Thailand. However Thailand will always be vulnerable to flash floods and extreme run off events. Thailand's water management engineers will need to develop separate safety and management procedures for such events.

Who's on first?

Sukhothai adjusts plan to fight flooding

image_20120911140822B4284A56-C3FB-6D7B-0CAC690EF6DDD420.jpg

SUKHOTHAI, Sept 11 – Local authorities here have adjusted plans to protect core city and business areas of Sukhothai’s provincial seat after an attempted plugging of a gap in the flood prevention embankment failed to slow down floodwaters from the torrential Yom River.

A hundred giant bags containing rock and sand were placed in the 10 metre gap but the work was only half complete due to the fast flowing water which obstructed action

Mayor Phichai Thaikla said the authorities will apply a new plan today, to block floodwaters 200 metres from the underground gap at the embankment, to save inner business areas of the provincial seat, which is now under 1-1.5 metres of water.

The area along the Yom River is current under water two metres deep, and the new plan may increase the floodwater level to about three metres and affect residents in this area.

Markets remain closed for the third consecutive day and floodwaters extend to cover a section of the bypass road, while an outer area on the west side of the Yom River began seeing floodwaters emerging from sewers.

The Yom River in Sukhothai is at about 7.20 metres and is rising as the northern run-off is flowing from Phrae at 900 cubic metres per second while the Yom River downstream of Sukhothai has the capacity to take water at 450 cubic metre per second. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-09-11

The only flood wall that the Thai government has is in their heads cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Come in ladies and gentlemen, water will be accumulated in so called flood walls again, starting with areas like Sukothai and Ayutthaya, and once those floodwakls can't hold in anymore, it's gonna flush down all the way through central Thailand, Northern areas of Bangkok, Bang Bua Thong, Ladprao etc., and there you have the similar disaster again.

Let it flood in other provinces first until the limit is broken, and all control is lost and sacrifice the sorry a****es of the poor powerless people. That is an act of corrupt facesaving cowardice,…

• Like 1

"About 1,000 households have been affected and the main roads linking villages are under half a metre of water, forcing villagers to travel by boat".

I sincerely hope that these villages are 'red villages' as if they are then they fully deserve it as far as I'm concerned - if not, my sympathies lie with them!!

Im really pro democrat a lot, but this goes a bit too far. After having been flooded last year for 2 months i don't wish anyone the same fate except the politicians.

The only flood wall that the Thai government has is in their heads cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Come in ladies and gentlemen, water will be accumulated in so called flood walls again, starting with areas like Sukothai and Ayutthaya, and once those floodwakls can't hold in anymore, it's gonna flush down all the way through central Thailand, Northern areas of Bangkok, Bang Bua Thong, Ladprao etc., and there you have the similar disaster again.

Let it flood in other provinces first until the limit is broken, and all control is lost and sacrifice the sorry a****es of the poor powerless people. That is an act of corrupt facesaving cowardice,…

This has been the plan since time immemorial. Just that last year, the amount of water was so gargantuan that it kept going to Bangkok. These areas have been sacrificed, and that has been the standard plan. What would they do if they actually managed to keep all the water in the rivers until it reached Central Bangkok? Simply move the flood plain down the river.

This has been the plan since time immemorial. Just that last year, the amount of water was so gargantuan that it kept going to Bangkok. These areas have been sacrificed, and that has been the standard plan. What would they do if they actually managed to keep all the water in the rivers until it reached Central Bangkok? Simply move the flood plain down the river.

Who said that this year doesn't have the potential for a gigantic flood water amount??? I think the government has "miscalculated this situation again", and the real climax if the rainy season hadn't even started yet.... Do you get my idea???

Other than that, the very provinces that the Thai government officials look down to and let them practically get flooded on purpose, are actually the same provinces that provide Bangkok people with food and agriculture products. But you get my point? By letting those people in Ayutthaya, Sukothai and other provinces suffer under floods, that's the Thai government's way of "Saying Thank You, and now screw you for the sake of 'protecting Bangkok',…

If supplies from those flood hit provinces is coming to a hold, that'll affect entire agricultural businesses in Bangkok, as they can't receive supplies due to flooded roads… get it????

• Like 2

To be fair on the 18th of July, 2012 we had

"The government will be able to inform the public no later than next month about which areas are at risk of being flooded, those that will be safe, and those to be used as catchment areas, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said yesterday."

http://www.thaivisa....ed-pm-yingluck/

In Marchh talking in Tokyo we had

"Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, on a visit to Tokyo, has reassured powerful Japanese investors there will be no repeat of last year's flood fiasco."

Also on that very same thread on the 18th July 2012, we have this

Read my lips "no more flooding"

Do you still think that's what she said or are we going to have reams and reams of this type of posting?

I thought there would be no flooding this year, does this count as a broken promise.

One of them white lies rears its ugly head again.

No it's not a white lie. Just an uneducated mis - comprehension of the statement she originally made that has been repeated endlessly by people who really haven't thought about what they are re - posting.

"The government will be able to inform the public no later than next month about which areas are at risk of being flooded, those that will be safe, and those to be used as catchment areas, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said yesterday."

Might as well add the next line in the piece too....

"The accuracy of the forecasts may not be 100-per-cent precise, but will be based on analyses and expected to yield closest results," she said at a press interview at Government House.

"Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, on a visit to Tokyo, has reassured powerful Japanese investors there will be no repeat of last year's flood fiasco."

Actual Yingluck quote .... "I am pleased to inform you that we are in the process of implementing an effective water management system to protect the communities and the important economic and industrial zones," Ms Yingluck said in a speech at a business forum hosted by Keidanren, Japan's largest business lobby.

and

"I have reaffirmed to the Japanese government and business leaders that the Royal Thai government is committed to ensuring that the devastation caused by such disasters will never happen again," Ms Yingluck said.

"The accuracy of the forecasts may not be 100-per-cent precise, but will be based on analyses and expected to yield closest results," she said at a press interview at Government House.

Nisa the government is doing exactly what they did last time and that is denying there is a problem downplaying it. They are playing with people lives and houses because they cant admit its out of control.

First saying its under control.. and later you hear its getting worse. You can see it here in this thread. It was the same last year when i got flooded. Because of those idiots in charge i stayed home. With the right information i would have made different choices and so would have many others.

They did not learn from that, what do you expect from a government that does not mind telling white lies.

Robblok, I followed your terrible situation last year, and I fully agree with your post above.

I hope that you don't have to go through such a terrible situation again

Nisa the government is doing exactly what they did last time and that is denying there is a problem downplaying it. They are playing with people lives and houses because they cant admit its out of control.

First saying its under control.. and later you hear its getting worse. You can see it here in this thread. It was the same last year when i got flooded. Because of those idiots in charge i stayed home. With the right information i would have made different choices and so would have many others.

They did not learn from that, what do you expect from a government that does not mind telling white lies.

With all the jokes aside about the PM and the rest of the lunatics who are running the asylum we do seem to be seeing a case of deja vu

• Like 1

We must be reading different threads because I don't see where the government has said there wasn't a problem or that it was under control. For at least a month last year before the floods were close to Bangkok people knew there could be severe flooding in Bangkok, including the inner city. Because you chose to dismiss these reports during the worst flooding and rainfalls in 1/2 a century, you blame others for not having a crystal ball? Makes no sense to me.

Flooding happens all across the globe including first world countries and is often the result of failed levees or other systems but also because some areas (including industrial, public and residential) are just plain at risk of flooding .... especially during times of severe weather occurrences.

In this story an area has been flooded, I see no comments downplaying it by the government or telling folks not to worry and admission of what caused the problem, worsening of the problems and paths taken to address the problem. Although I am sorry to hear you were affected by the floods last year, if you see these news reports in this thread as the government saying not to worry then I can understand why you were not better prepared.

Edit: I have several families members here who lived inside and just outside Bangkok whose areas where flooded but they and their neighbors had more than adequate time to prepare for that possibility.

Edited by Nisa

The Yom River in Sukhothai is at about 7.20 metres and is rising as the northern run-off is flowing from Phrae at 900 cubic metres per second while the Yom River downstream of Sukhothai has the capacity to take water at 450 cubic metre per second. (MCOT online news)

Ouch!!

Do not be alarmed science minister Plopadop is on the case...

Also on that very same thread on the 18th July 2012, we have this

Read my lips "no more flooding"

Do you still think that's what she said or are we going to have reams and reams of this type of posting?

Always willing to obligerolleyes.gif

WARNING: SATIRE AHEAD:

Today PM Yingluck confirmed her statement from earlier this year "There will be no repeat of last year's flood fiasco. With billions spent this year's flooding will be a remarkable success."

I thought there would be no flooding this year, does this count as a broken promise.

One of them white lies rears its ugly head again.

No it's not a white lie. Just an uneducated mis - comprehension of the statement she originally made that has been repeated endlessly by people who really haven't thought about what they are re - posting.

Expected response.

Actual Yingluck quote .... "I am pleased to inform you that we are in the process of implementing an effective water management system to protect the communities and the important economic and industrial zones," Ms Yingluck said in a speech at a business forum hosted by Keidanren, Japan's largest business lobby.

and

"I have reaffirmed to the Japanese government and business leaders that the Royal Thai government is committed to ensuring that the devastation caused by such disasters will never happen again," Ms Yingluck said.

Not sure what the lady actually said but I have:

End of January, World Economic Forum, Switserland

"Yingluck assured the various leaders in attendance that with effective water management, there will be no repeat of last year’s flood crisis."

http://hdff.org/2012...view-3001-0502/

Following begin of March in Japan

http://www.reuters.c...E8E80EB20120308

I'm sure some may not like this question, but I'm not really here for a popularity contest, so:

Does all this water slowly flow seawards ?

Yup! Takes a bit of time (what with all the flooding it needs to do on the way) but, eventually heads south to the sea.

We must be reading different threads because I don't see where the government has said there wasn't a problem or that it was under control. For at least a month last year before the floods were close to Bangkok people knew there could be severe flooding in Bangkok, including the inner city. Because you chose to dismiss these reports during the worst flooding and rainfalls in 1/2 a century, you blame others for not having a crystal ball? Makes no sense to me.

Flooding happens all across the globe including first world countries and is often the result of failed levees or other systems but also because some areas (including industrial, public and residential) are just plain at risk of flooding .... especially during times of severe weather occurrences.

In this story an area has been flooded, I see no comments downplaying it by the government or telling folks not to worry and admission of what caused the problem, worsening of the problems and paths taken to address the problem. Although I am sorry to hear you were affected by the floods last year, if you see these news reports in this thread as the government saying not to worry then I can understand why you were not better prepared.

Edit: I have several families members here who lived inside and just outside Bangkok whose areas where flooded but they and their neighbors had more than adequate time to prepare for that possibility.

Yes we must be reading things different. Because i read a report that it was ok and under control. Then then next report was flooding was worse. Thing is they lie all the time to make themselves look good. They say it was unavoidable.. but Yingluck has inspected this b4 and now the dams failed. So she either did not inspect it good (or her underlings) or they did not inspect at all.

Nisa about last year i lived through it, i knew what they reported and they lied.

They said the worst was over after the high water while in fact it just began then for us. So that was a lie and they said at that time there would be no flooding. Do deny this is crazy as it is all documented. I live in Nothatburi a bit north of BKK it was not clear at all, but after we were hit then it was clear BKK would be hit. So i stick with my story.

• Like 1

and

Not sure what the lady actually said but I have:

End of January, World Economic Forum, Switserland

"Yingluck assured the various leaders in attendance that with effective water management, there will be no repeat of last year's flood crisis."

http://hdff.org/2012...view-3001-0502/

Following begin of March in Japan

http://www.reuters.c...E8E80EB20120308

credit where credit is due

I dont think she is saying there will be no floods, but rather....we promise to try our very best not to c*kc it up again when it does happen

Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 1