Left A Toddler To Die....

Gaccha

I've left a child to die, saved two lives and almost died twice in a period of 4 years...

But it's the leaving-a-child-to-die incident that disturbs me.

I was walking late at night on a major road, with no other pedestrians around. And I saw a toddler wandering around looking pretty relaxed. But I didn't react. I feel I've become incapacitated by the notion that risk is of a higher level here...

I just walked on. I walked past, and then saw an old lady rushing out her house. The look of horror on her face and her rush to grab him was like a slap to my face. My heartrate jumped. What on earth was I thinking. I then saw another child, perhaps younger than the boy.

I suppose my mind was on other things. I figure Thais do have a high tolerance to risk, I am not a parent so I don't really know the cognitive levels of kids, and I also fear that with an act of intervention there may be a scene with a foreigner messing around with their child.

I experienced this when I saved a kid's life at CentralWorld. The mother looked shocked that I was holding her child. She had not seen how much distress he was in; he had come within moments of falling 5 floors to his death....

I am glad that the Thai man saved me from a hidden contraflow truck on sukhumwit by pushing me to the ground. He could so easily have just walked on...

Intense.

Well, I can sort of relate.

I recall seeing small ones in Thailand walking around in dangerous places and no adult in site. It's hard to know what is the right thing to do. Are they mature for their years? Is an adult that I don't see watching over them? If I go try to get involved will the pedo police pounce? There is no doubt this ain't Kansas.

Many years ago, I was having a nice quiet visit with future relatives near Bangkok. Suddenly, we heard screaming. A young child was discovered floating in a big klong (ditch).

They brought the baby to me. Most of the people had never seen a foreigner. I remember them all looking at me with such hope and expectation.

Coincidently, I was in an air rescue outfit and had emergency training. But, the baby had been in the water too long and I couldn't revive it. It still haunts me to this day.

i once witness a motorist fall when i was driving my old caribian up to mhs early last year. stopped the car, asked mrs to divert traffic where i helped to pick up the bike. i had absolute no contact with the motorist but i got accused for hitting him. Some other motorist stopped along the way and there was ehia ehia from the dude and i became the bad guy. he wanted 2000 baht but at the end he settled at 500

500 is really nothing, but i went back to my car really really dazed

i once witness a motorist fall when i was driving my old caribian up to mhs early last year. stopped the car, asked mrs to divert traffic where i helped to pick up the bike. i had absolute no contact with the motorist but i got accused for hitting him. Some other motorist stopped along the way and there was ehia ehia from the dude and i became the bad guy. he wanted 2000 baht but at the end he settled at 500

i pulled a woman off her motorbike when she clipped another bike and did some traffic control. the other bike did stop but driver was still mounted, did not even get off to assist. afterwards i asked her if she was ok. her response was i'm fine, and very evasive, though she was probably fazed. other people were starting to stare but kept their distance.

it felt weird like the help was not too welcome. i left the scene before discussion.

Similar had a woman pull up the inside of me whilst waiting at a junction to turn right onto a main road I waited fora space in the traffic, next thing i see is her start to move off and drive onto my front wing. I was stationary, she obviously forgot I was there but of course NO WAY would she stand up and say this instead it was all my fault, bloody wa***r.

IMHO it's a bit over the top:

You see a toddler walking alone somewhere and if you don't do anything about it, you say: "I left it to die!" Was the toddler dying?

You saved a child from falling 5 stories.......really??

If I have to respond every time I see people in more or less dangerous situations, I'd have to behave as the guy in the blue and red nylon suit with a big "S" on his chest.

If I have to respond every time I see people in more or less dangerous situations, I'd have to behave as the guy in the blue and red nylon suit with a big "S" on his chest.

fat chance of that fatas*, you would need to start working out, drinking clear water and have the courage of a lion for that.

Well interesting tales. in our pool at our condo a Thai mother screamed as her toddler not far from me and my son, sank in the deepish water for him. I grabbed him by the scruff of his neck and pull him up while holding onto my son with the other. I had to do the same thing with a different kid on another occasion.

Amazingly, the lazy woman could have just jumped into the water herself and grab him, it was only waste high for c...st sake but instead should stood there screaming. I later heard that on another day weeks later a poor boy was not so lucky and basically drowned (dead I am not sure) but was rushed to hospital unconscious.

For the life of me I can't understand why parents of young one's allow their kids near water without getting in with them.

Edited by bkkjames