Cbr 500Cc Leaked Pic

greg71

Guys I need help/advise. Today I started noticing some weird sound as I drive at the back of the bike behind me. I dont know how to describe it, sounds like a water sprinkler or a chain on a bicycle when you pedaling, you get this weird sound of chain moving on an old bike. The chain seems to be well lubed and I didnt have this yesterday. When the bike is not moving and in neutral the sound is not there, 1st gear nothing, 2nd gear it starts. Listened to the engine on neutral some slightly similar but barely noticeable sound coming from the front of the engine, which Iam not too fussed about but while driving it is at the back.

What can this be? is it the chain? does it needs more lubing or is it the brakes? Tried to listen a bit when driving seems to be coming from right side of the wheel.

P.S Starting to wonder if my luck to get this bike so fast had something to do with it.

The chain may need adjusting. How many kilometers have put on the bike so far?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Moving sound is probably the chain.

The faint similar sound in neutral from the engine is probably the cam-chain.

Take a look to see if the chain is loose.

If so, take a deep breath and see if the local pharmacy has 'New Bike Hypochondria' pills. 500mg.

• Like 1

It's a 2011, right? Wow, that seems like a lot of kilometers vs time! How many kilometers can be expected out of one of these engines?

Bought Dec. 2010.

With changes of oil and pre-emptive maintenance, I would guess about 500,000km before one would need to buy another one.

Edited by cbrer

Guys I need help/advise. Today I started noticing some weird sound as I drive at the back of the bike behind me. I dont know how to describe it, sounds like a water sprinkler or a chain on a bicycle when you pedaling, you get this weird sound of chain moving on an old bike. The chain seems to be well lubed and I didnt have this yesterday. When the bike is not moving and in neutral the sound is not there, 1st gear nothing, 2nd gear it starts. Listened to the engine on neutral some slightly similar but barely noticeable sound coming from the front of the engine, which Iam not too fussed about but while driving it is at the back.

What can this be? is it the chain? does it needs more lubing or is it the brakes? Tried to listen a bit when driving seems to be coming from right side of the wheel.

P.S Starting to wonder if my luck to get this bike so fast had something to do with it.

Superior, i think it is the chain and you can hear it more while passing from a tunnel or by a wall.

Dont be fussy about your bike too much man. I think your bike has no probs. Just be positive.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect App

My bike is 2 weeks old and has 670km on the speed so far, it looks a bit loose but not so much pretty much on the same level as it was when I bought it. Should I lube the chain to see if that helps?

There is usually a sticker on the side of the swing arm that notes how much slack the chain needs. Not sure if more lube would help. Best of luck.

My bike is 2 weeks old and has 670km on the speed so far, it looks a bit loose but not so much pretty much on the same level as it was when I bought it. Should I lube the chain to see if that helps?

You REALLY need to start doing some research about owning and basic maintenance on a bike.

youtube and google are your friends...(as well as us heresmile.png )

Edited by thaicbr
  • Like 1

Sounds like the chain. Sometimes even with a good lube it can still "bind" (where one or two of the links stop moving freely) and make noises like an overly loose chain. There are lots of YouTube videos on chain checking, and info on web-sites.

The one at Sportrider is OK (http://www.sportrider.com/suspension_settings/hands_on/146_0010_hands_on_chain_adjustment/viewall.html).

Remember to not do the chain too tight, a common error. Better a bit too loose than a bit too tight, as it will stuff up the sprockets. Check measurements at a few different points to make sure there is enough slack in the chain. And clean (I use a toothbrush and WD40) then oil the chain with a sticky proper chain oil every 500-1,000 km - variation depends on a few factors such as weather, riding style, and type of chain lube. You are trying to oil the o-rings on both sides of the chain, not the centre roller. Essential and easy maintenance.

Sup3

I mean this in the most constructive way but

It really seems like you have had a lot of questions/concerns on your new bike.

If you do not have an experienced rider/friend who can take it for a spin for you & give you an educated opinion you

should really get the bike back to BW Chiangmai sooner than later.

Having read your posts it seems like you have had many concerns ever since your first ride home.

These may all be nothing more than your not recognizing common sounds to there being some real problems.

Since it is a new bike & if you cannot have someone nearby give you an educated opinion I vote for getting back to the dealer

ASAP

Remember the bike is now yours. Even if there is warranty problems you do not want to make things any worse.

I tend to think these may all be sounds your just not use to & maybe just discovering things that were already there but masked by

helmet or enthusiasm of a new bike. Could be many things.

But if it is in fact a problem best to deal with it sooner than later as it could be a cumulative problem.

Good Luck

• Like 1

Sup3

I mean this in the most constructive way but

It really seems like you have had a lot of questions/concerns on your new bike.

If you do not have an experienced rider/friend who can take it for a spin for you & give you an educated opinion you

should really get the bike back to BW Chiangmai sooner than later.

Having read your posts it seems like you have had many concerns ever since your first ride home.

These may all be nothing more than your not recognizing common sounds to there being some real problems.

Since it is a new bike & if you cannot have someone nearby give you an educated opinion I vote for getting back to the dealer

ASAP

Remember the bike is now yours. Even if there is warranty problems you do not want to make things any worse.

I tend to think these may all be sounds your just not use to & maybe just discovering things that were already there but masked by

helmet or enthusiasm of a new bike. Could be many things.

But if it is in fact a problem best to deal with it sooner than later as it could be a cumulative problem.

Good Luck

The above is sound advice.. Also when you take it back maybe inquire if any friendly Chiang Mai riders could meet you to shoot the breeze and check your bike.. give you some tips etc.

Yeah superior.

You bought a new bike which is not that cheap and you are not familiar with its sounds etc.

Just do not be paranoid man. You will be going to 1000 km service anyway soon and they will find out if there will be any problems.

You are worrying to much. If the bike has serious problems, you definitely understand it as it stops or lose performance:lol:

Just enjoy your bike man. Life is short and more beautiful with less worries.

You REALLY need to start doing some research about owning and basic maintenance on a bike.

youtube and google are your friends...(as well as us heresmile.png )

This is a good video and to be honest i ff through it. I would like to say not all chains are adjusted with the suspension lifted. Many manuals require it to be on the side stand. This of course would prevent the chain from being to tight with a load. I do not know about the 500.

In regards to the video, I have seen this. In regards to giving a bike for a spin to someone its got to be someone you trust. Not just some random guy from a coffee shop. Really would you?

Went to the bike shop in town today got chain oiled the guy checked the tightness at first wanted to adjust but then decided not to after both of us pressed bike down to see how will it fair on the bumps. THen the guy just drove off on my bike without saying anything for 10 mins, which got me quite pissed off. Ok he didnt charge anything for the job but still.

In regards to getting experience on a bike maintenance, Iam working on that, I watch videos, ask around read books. All of us have to learn something new in the life at some point. Without any proper tools though it is hard, I know how to adjust chain but the tools supplied with bike though they fit, its impossible to undo bolts with such a short handle. As I mentioned before right now Iam totally out of cash after buying a bike, thus the reason I cannot go to chiang mai BW. Before anyone notes I should have budgeted better, I have a 6 months old baby so things tend to happen with kids you dont expect to, like stays in the hospitals.

Already made a list of things to check for them (not sure how 1 person barely speaks English there). I try not to be paranoid but after spending cash on this you expect things to be smooth in the first couple of months. But everyday some new stuff happens, some new sound comes out. And mind you Iam not talking about shabby build quality of the bike, plastic panels under windshield that joint together just split on every single bump, a petrol tank cap that does not seems to fit the tank properly, side plastic panels under the bike that I have to push together after a ride cuz that 1 bolt doesnt seem to hold them in place no matter how tight I tighten it up and of course right panel bolt that seems to have to grip at all and turns indefinitely.

Will put some pics over tomorrow after work. But dont worry I will make sure they do a good job on it next week.

^

not sure how them fairings are attached but maybe you have stripped the thread on some of them by over tightening.

When you got the bike was the battery already connected and I take it the kilometre reading was on zero kilometres ,I suppose it is possible you could have got a problem bike that someone returned after a few days use ,it is a bit strange thatvyou was able to walk in and buy on the spot the same day,dont know if anyone else tried to buy from change mai bw on this forum and could give feedback if they were offered bike same day or told there is a waiting list

Mpg? Did you buy the fuel in gallons and is your odometer in miles? spamsign.gif

For those who may want to know what that means, the conversion factors are

Multiply by 0.425 for U.S. gallons

Multiply by 0.354 for U.K. or imperial gallons

These will give you the figure in km per litre.

I think myaimistrue is from Texas, USA so I'm guessing we are talking U.S. gallons. intheclub.gif

Texas, 555, that would be especially funny to a Texan, as I am from NY! My range was 33-38km/l, 95 gasohol, now trying 95 benzine, but will go with Shell V-Max next, as suggested here.

Holy shizzle, I filled up with Shell V-Max and cannot believe the difference! Before I was getting a vibration at 5k+ rpm, with 95 benzine and gasohol, but pulling out of Shell I could already feel a difference. On my way to work this morning I couldn't open it up much, but I did notice it was much smoother, quicker and no vibration anywhere! Before, I tended to shift when it started to vibrate, without even checking the rpm's, thinking it was a new engine being broken in. Now, I have to look because I don't feel any difference! BTW, my mileage dropped to 32km/l with the 95 benzine, though that was mostly in-town, so that might have contributed to the drop. Shell V-Max rules!

Holy shizzle, I filled up with Shell V-Max and cannot believe the difference!

Is that Shell V- Power Nitro + Gasohol 95

Your talking about ?

Shoot, good question, I wish I had gotten a receipt, but I think you are correct because I asked and they said it was gasohol. I'll stop to confirm because, whatever it is, it's good!

^

not sure how them fairings are attached but maybe you have stripped the thread on some of them by over tightening.

When you got the bike was the battery already connected and I take it the kilometre reading was on zero kilometres ,I suppose it is possible you could have got a problem bike that someone returned after a few days use ,it is a bit strange thatvyou was able to walk in and buy on the spot the same day,dont know if anyone else tried to buy from change mai bw on this forum and could give feedback if they were offered bike same day or told there is a waiting list

When I came they had black and white, white was sold already. White one was standing nothing was connected all the seals on the wires were still untouched. I put reservation fee, since I had no cash at that day and came back 6 days later. 2 days before I came I called and told them will be at the shop Friday 2pm. When I arrived bike was standing on in a different position and everything was connected, brake fluid, battery etc. Speedo read 4km not 0. I was told before I even buy it that they have to run it for 4km on a machine to make sure everything is smooth. The guy at the shop told me they prepared the bike since morning since they knew I was coming which is kind of weird, as I could have cancelled the whole thing.

^

. The guy at the shop told me they prepared the bike since morning since they knew I was coming which is kind of weird, as I could have cancelled the whole thing.

If you cancel the contract do you get the deposit back? I assumed it was non refundable when you order a bike unless they cannot keep up their end of the deal and make the agreed date...

That plastic looks terrible, not the answer your looking for but superglue would probably fix it:-)

Seriously though, I would make them fix it at their expense, the fairings shouldn't be so loose on a brand new bike and in any other country except thailand they wouldn't get away with it so don't let them think it's acceptable here

• Like 1

I try not to be paranoid but after spending cash on this you expect things to be smooth in the first couple of months.

Yes, you do.

But everyday some new stuff happens, some new sound comes out.

This is natural for a new bike. It is breaking-in. Not only the engine but everything else is starting to sit.

plastic panels under windshield that joint together just split on every single bump,

side plastic panels under the bike that I have to push together after a ride cuz that 1 bolt doesnt seem to hold them in place no matter how tight I tighten it up and of course right panel bolt that seems to have to grip at all and turns indefinitely.

When you take it back they will replace the bolt to hold in the bottom faring free of charge.

They will likely be convinced to change the plastic panels when you start taking photographs and documenting the names and positions of the management who says it is normal. Perhaps it may not come to that.

with a completely new product (global product), Honda will be watching carefully for defects and other things going wrong, this usually results in pro-active dealership care as they have likely been told by their Japanese overlords to report everything that comes in as faulty. Remember that Thailand is the testing ground for this brand new Worldwide product, Somchai the store idiot mightn't be interested, but higher up will be.

Edited by cbrer

If you cancel the contract do you get the deposit back? I assumed it was non refundable when you order a bike unless they cannot keep up their end of the deal and make the agreed date...

I asked that question when I put a deposit on my N250 as I was curious

They said yes no problem but if the bike arrives & they call you to pickup then it is

too late to cancel

9 days later I had a bike :)

Things like this.... sad.png No matter what I do with it it does not stay in place. post-101384-0-81209200-1358912175_thumb.

mmm that is not too good & I am surprised as Honda's fit & finish are usually top notch.

I would not try to fix it yourself

Just take it back on your next trip & let them take care of it for you.

You should not glue it as it is made to come apart for what ever reasons

which is why you see those screws nearby.

Good Luck

• Like 2

The fit on my CBR250 farings are atrocious.

There seems to be about 6000 pieces of front faring and none of them fit perfectly together. Including the the pieces that sandwich the windscreen. Being a hot country country like Thailand (my plastics are all black) probably doesn't help should they expand during the ritual afternoon baking.

No big deal. I stuck some adhesive foam strips between some of them, and there's only minimal buzzing during the midrange engine harmonics. I'm happy with that.

I bought my bike with cash and don't view it as an asset, so have no real worries about sell on value. It's there to be ridden and I have little doubt I'll still be hitting the hills of Kanchanaburi on it in ten years time should I never decide to buy a bigger one. The gaps in the faring may be bigger then, but I certainly won't care.

That's not to say that one shouldn't be upset at buying a brand new 200k bike and then not being happy with the build if it starts to come apart.

Edited by cbrer

Superior sorry for your issues. It looks like you got an unlucky one.

Again, dont do anything by yourself. Just go to bigwing and let them do it.

I really have no issues on my bike on its 1100 km and i had a 400 km long trip and need to commute from a very bumpy road but i do not even have a rattle which i ride my bikes hard and never stop for potholes.

So raise your issues to bigwing and do not let any other mechanic or person touch your bike not even for a chain lube.

Inform us about the result once you reach bigwing.

And you do not need to explain yourself about your broke state. Everybody can be broke especially a man with a family means sudden expenses and who we are to judge you on this?

Regards and no worries, every problem has a solution especially if they are mechanical:lol:

That split fairing under windshield I tried to tighten the bolt next to it wouldnt make any difference at all, if I loose it a bit, it splits even further. I wouldnt use super glue on plastic specially black as it will immediately turn into white. Happens with some leather as well if you glue shoes leather will have white stains. Yes I will compile a paper for them to look at and fix the stuff I just need to translate it into Thai as unlike BW BKK, in CM they English end on "buy" "cash" "sing your name".

My petrol tank cap has about 1/2 inch (maybe 5mm) gap from right and none on the right, weird.

Thank you everyone.