Thai Funeral

slippery when wet

My wife has recently returned to Thailand to attend a funeral of a close family member. Can anyone explain what generally happens at a Thai/Buddhist cremation as I haven't ever witnessed anything along the lines of a Thai funeral.

Thanks.

Lots of drinking and eating. A small procession pulling the deceased on a cart to the cremation site. Then more eating and drinking.

Don't expect lots of crying...this's done a few days before. Definitely lots of eating and drinking during cremation!...many times the party(eating and drinking parts) will also continue back to the house!

As a relative, you don't have to do any thing except dressed appropriately. You are expect to insert some money (amount you deem fit) in the envelop, to help out the relative's family with the cost of funeral. As for what to wear - Black or white...or any combination of these 2 color is preferred...dark gray is ok too. You will be expect to see many long lost relatives from your wife side showing up, so be prepare to smile and WAI a lots. If you don't feel like talking...just join one of the men table for eating and drinking. Oh...expect to spend a few hours at least there.

They also have a lot of fireworks.

I once attended the cremation of a very well known Thai and the service was just amazing.

A procession of traditionally dressed Thai Men carried in both the presiding Monk and the deceased, then there was a procession of Monks, School Children, Military and Police.

Then the Princess arrived who actually lit the fuse for the first fireworks and these screamed into the funeral pyre from all around the Wat setting it ablaze. It was a fantastic display of the way Thais have mastered pyrotechnics.

There was no sadness shown as the deceased had been dead two months and was 97 years old.

But it was a very grand affair, must have been over 2,000 people there.

there is a crematorium very close to my home so we always know when there is a funeral owing to the massive bangs we here from the fireworks.

IMO Thai funerals are more a celebration of life then the way we conduct them in the west as a confirmation of death, and because Bhuddists beleive in re-birth ,it is just a way of sending their dearly departed off into another life.

Usually there will be 3 days (although it can go on for longer) before the cremation where the monks and mourners come to the house (if the body is at a house) every morning and evening. The monks do a bit of chanting while the moruners sit and listen/chant along with them, afterwards there will be food and soft drink for everyone and usually some of the men will stay around to drink whiskey and play cards(night time). Dont ask me why but every funeral I've been to after the monks have gone in the night there is card playing.

When the mourners first arive they usually go and pay their respects to the dead body and often place flowers or a wreath. After the 3 days the body will be taken in pressesion to the wat for cremation. Generally at the cremation there will be a few speaches and more wreathes given, then everyone will be given a paper flower and they flie passed the body putting the flower into the coffin, after this is the actual burning, say about 2-3 hrs in total. I've never been to a funeral where people are drinking (alchol) during the actual cremation. After the cremation some people may got back to the deseased's house for food and drinks.

If the body is at the wat the same procedure applies but at the wat rather than the house. As has been said, put some money in an envelpoe to give to the deceased's family and where black/white or dark coulours.

RC

Edited by RamdomChances

The poster said nothing about attending a funeral so believe his post was after general information and he should be able to find that with a search of the forum as there have been many threads on the subject. The fact is that no two are the same and there are often very different customs involved. In general you have a body washing and prayers each evening for 3/5/7 or whatever number of nights and then the cremation the next day. There may be drinking and gambling by those gathered (as the gambling laws are ignored during funerals) and of course offerings of food to the monks during the day and eating by those attending as needed. Two nights ago I attended a Chinese evening service where there was a 7 member dance troop and about 15 member band which performed some of the most upbeat and active banner/flag type dance I have ever seen. Understand this was about a 1 million baht affair. There are all kinds of variations so do check forum or do a Google for more information.

The poster said nothing about attending a funeral so believe his post was after general information .....

Oh?...well..the info is for the next relative then! :o

PS - if the next one is in Isaan area...you might be able to enjoy a free outdoor movie the you can watch from both sides of this huge white canvas. They will usually have 2 movies - just right after dark (just bring your sitting blanket):D