Fruit Cake

lopburi3

Have found the fruit cake sold by by the loaf at Arnoma Bakery (Arnoma Hotel) to be very good (and good value). They seem to have two versions. A sweet version I suspect with tropical fruit and the less sweet version most of us are more likely to know. I find both great.

• 2 weeks later...

Good post Lop, my dear mum [84 next month Oct] sends me two cakes a year, one for birthday and one for Xmas, without the marzipan and icing, i dont have a sweet tooth, so i supose they are basically Dundee fruit cakes, laced with brandy and the useual ingredients, im not sure but mum always puts walnuts and almonds in the mix, after the baking these are very tender, im not sure cos i dont know if nuts go into a dundee style cake?

Wrapped in silver foil, a 3lb cake will last me 3 months, a nibble now and then, if i could find the ingredients here near Udon i would make my own,

Cheers, Lickey.

• Like 1

Good post Lop, my dear mum [84 next month Oct] sends me two cakes a year, one for birthday and one for Xmas, without the marzipan and icing, i dont have a sweet tooth, so i supose they are basically Dundee fruit cakes, laced with brandy and the useual ingredients, im not sure but mum always puts walnuts and almonds in the mix, after the baking these are very tender, im not sure cos i dont know if nuts go into a dundee style cake?

Wrapped in silver foil, a 3lb cake will last me 3 months, a nibble now and then, if i could find the ingredients here near Udon i would make my own,

Cheers, Lickey.

My Nan used to make one for me and I know what your saying that it is more Dundee than traditional Fruit Cake, I tried a few years back and made Jamaica Fruit cake with port & wine - http://allrecipes.com/recipe/sharons-jamaican-fruit-cake/ I added lots of dried mango and it was yummy. In a tin it lasted more than 4 months.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Among all the cake, my favorite falvor is Fruit Cake and then comes chocolate cake. I love fruit cake of "Deliciae Patissarie", their fruit cake is just creamy and too soft. And I think everyone loves to eat such cake:). Have a look on their fruit cake:-

post-197498-0-17874300-1389009425_thumb.

Edited by StevenSmith

Cheers, Lickey.

been making fruit cake for yonks i can guarantee you wont get better.just finished eating this yrs.easy to make but you want a

9inch round spring loaded cake tin and a roll of greased proof paper.you should be able to get these in any bakery shop.

here's my recipe.

1xkilo fruit,sultana's.raisons and cherries.

8 oz butter.

6 oz soft brown sugar.

4 fl.oz of sherry or brandy[brandy was easy to find] plus 6fl.oz water or orange jus.

half teasp.bicarb soda.

6 oz plain flour.

4 oz of self.r.flour

1 tsp.mixed spice.

4 eggs lightly beaten.

4 oz.of ground almonds and some for the top.

put the fruit,butter,sugar,sherry or brandy and water over a low heat,when the butter has melted 10mins.add the sifted flours mix well,then add the beaten eggs mixed spice and the ground almonds,mix well and leave to cool.gease tin and line with g.p.paper.

pour the mixture into the tin and cook at 160 for 2hrs or untill a skewer comes out clean,halfway through cooking cover the top of the cake with foil to stop the top burning.

leave till completly cold wrap in foil and seal in a tin for 2months for it to mature

• Like 1

You can substitute local dried fruit for things like glace cherries and dried apricots - readily available in any supermarket. Dried pineapple is especially good.

i did use some dried apricots lasy yr.but i soaked them in the brandy first,we have a nice bakery supplies by us so i can get everything except orange and lemon peel.so soak one or two fruits first to taste.

Cheers, Lickey.

been making fruit cake for yonks i can guarantee you wont get better.just finished eating this yrs.easy to make but you want a

9inch round spring loaded cake tin and a roll of greased proof paper.you should be able to get these in any bakery shop.

here's my recipe.

1xkilo fruit,sultana's.raisons and cherries.

8 oz butter.

6 oz soft brown sugar.

4 fl.oz of sherry or brandy[brandy was easy to find] plus 6fl.oz water or orange jus.

half teasp.bicarb soda.

6 oz plain flour.

4 oz of self.r.flour

1 tsp.mixed spice.

4 eggs lightly beaten.

4 oz.of ground almonds and some for the top.

put the fruit,butter,sugar,sherry or brandy and water over a low heat,when the butter has melted 10mins.add the sifted flours mix well,then add the beaten eggs mixed spice and the ground almonds,mix well and leave to cool.gease tin and line with g.p.paper.

pour the mixture into the tin and cook at 160 for 2hrs or untill a skewer comes out clean,halfway through cooking cover the top of the cake with foil to stop the top burning.

leave till completly cold wrap in foil and seal in a tin for 2months for it to mature

That looks tasty.

• 2 months later...

I agree with Lopburi about the fruitcake slices at the Arnoma Bakery just across from Central World.

I think they're 40 baht or so for a thick slice, and I choose the lower sugar version just to make up for the excess of eating fruitcake.

They're a bit more on the cake side and less on the dried fruit side than some more extravagant versions you'd find in the west. And there's no bourbon flavoring, as my Grand Mom used to use for her homemade fruitcakes....

But the taste of their fruitcake itself is quite good... one of my guilty pleasures here from time to time.