I Think I Will Go Back To Thailand.... Again

driedmango

go and try the uk for a while you will soon find out where you want to be.

On the money he's talking about he wouldnt last a fortnight in the UK.

OP: where exactly have you been in Thailand, just the Chiang Mai area ?

Meatboy: love the dog ! got any pups ?

Edited by CharlieH

Driedmango, I can relate to your plight very well. As a Canuck I can say that Canada is a very safe, clean, organized place, even if you don't live in a bland antiseptic area I'm guessing in your part of the country there is that sense of peace and order that is something that at once one can desire and also run away from, to look for excitement and adventure. Thailand offers that alternative in all it's chaotic character but after a while it gets a bit much and you start missing the safe, clean familiarity of back home.

I'm in a similar situation. Though haven't spent that much time in Thailand, I can't say I love the insane chaotic road habits and general lack of order in Thailand, yet I remain strangely fascinated with the place, despite all the down sides.

Returning to Canada is good, for about a week... Then you remember why you left in the first place.

You are blessed to have online work that can be done anywhere in the world. That makes you very free and mobile. Make the most of it.

As far as bringing guitars (and recording equipment) to Thailand, I would be very hesitant to do that myself. Especially if you're talking about expensive gear. I would be concerned about finding a suitably safe place to keep the gear. This is something I would love to be able to do myself. Head to Thailand for a few months to chill out and do some recording. Sadly I probably will never do it. I keep my gear in Canada.

In thailand I have been in the north Chiang Mai, Pai, Chiang Rai, Chiang Dao, some border towns I forget, Bangkok of course, Koh Chaing, Koh Pan Kang (excuse spelling please) a few other places I have passed threw, Katchanburi...

I haven't seem much of Thailand but have had a sample of most of the regions in one way or another.

I like Chiang Mai because I like the music, I don't care much for the beach scene (although its nice fro a few days) I like the Music and stuff going on in the north, as well as the arts and crafts, markets... all that... I prefer the north for sure.

I am really not going to thailand for the women, I really am going because it turns my crank in many ways and I like the lifestyle there, as I can afford a better one.

I do think i will bring my recording gear (not so expensive anyways) and my laptop, a cheap guitar (maybe) and some other things that if I stay here for a year I would not want to be without. I think it is worth the risk has I don't get to do much music stuff at home and so it is wasted anyways, there is always hope for inspiration to strike and as I am over there I will have freetime, I think it is worth ti. I have travelled each time with a small backpack, but this time I think i will have several pieces of luggage and will have to find a steady place to stay, I guess I will just not be that free to move around, it might be a good thing.

I don't plan on working in Thailand whatsoever...

I would like to find a good cheap Gym in Chiang Mai, as well as a comfortable place to live. I wish i could afford an old beater of a car to fix up and boot around in, but it seems like the prices are just to high ( my current car I have had for 2 years in Canada cost me $150 to purchase lol,) If there were old cars for $500 I would be doing that action, but i can't find any, at least not online.. oh well, bus and taxi it is, maybe a motorbike in the right places too.

I would also live in Bangkok, I love the place... it is kind of a toss up but my heart says Chiang Mai, just because it is more relaxed and you can always get to BKK for a bit.

I truely love it there, but for some reason after a couple of months I always get kind of down and panic feelings, bored and isolated...

I always take off early, its like clockwork, I feel like I might have some sort of illness,

Dehydration?

Careful remaining cooped up in an air-con'd room staring at a computer screen, if that's what you're doing. That and dehydration can make a man think and/or do strange things. Drink like a fish (water), up salt intake if sweating a lot, avoid spicy food... or perhaps get some Prozac up in you.

I wouldn't worry about feeling like you don't belong; that happens to most people. It's when you don't feel affiliated with planet earth you need to start questioning things. whistling.gif

By the by, if a reboot were in order, I would always head down to Malaysia and stay along Lebuh Chulia, Penang. You'll feel like you've been let out of prison early when you come back here.

Edited by jackr

I have one of these http://www.soundonso...audioozonic.htm

$100 on ebay, four inputs, firewire, the midi keyboard and the condesor mic input are a big bonus.

Cool. There are lots of options currently for mini keyboards / interfaces for laptops. I got this M-Audio controller that is super compact for traveling:

http://www.m-audio.c...154d1a356351b09

With just this and a laptop I can do midi programing / composition just about anywhere. Pretty handy.

Edited by greytown
  • Like 1