Thailand's Bt120 Billion Anti-Flood Budget Exhausted

webfact

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

post-35987-0-26525600-1347460009_thumb.j

Hey. This is fun. We should do it more often.

TAT are a tad slow off the mark. Can they not think up a slogan such as 'Amazing Thailand. Come and see what a real flood looks like.'

YEAH Good one / Amazing Thailand now organises a FLOOD TOURs, choose your guide and level.. Knee deep Tour guide / yin gluck in checked boots inspecting flooded areas, waist level.... The ministers club take your pick. Neck Level.....Leaders needed with a height of 6ft and above.... preferably a farang on volunteer basis.

It does not say that the money is exhausted, it says that it has been distributed to the various State Agencies. Whether or not these Agenices have yet spent all their allocated funds is yet to be seen. It appears that there is still work in progress and funds yet to be spent as some State Agencies are behind on the flood prevention works.

yes, yes, yes, if only people would read more than just the headline. Particularly posts #2, #6 and #14

Yes yes yes, but didn't the government say in several previous announcements that flood prevention programs were almost complete? Or did they mean that the distribution of the funds to an MP was complete now it will be a few more years before we can decide which company will provide the most tea money then we can get the projects started. In the mean time we hope there won't be any flooding so that all you poor dodgers will forget about the 120 billion and we can just abscond with it.

I have been all over Bangkok in the year since the flood and I have only seen one canal being dredged. Can't recall seeing many roads being elevated either.

If you gave me 120 billion B to spend on flood prevention a year ago you would have seen a lot of progress by now.

And now it starts.

The money has gone, but where did it all go? Any tangible evidence out there anywhere of what the 120 billion actually built?

I think a sizable portion of the cash was spent on rain making machines for the north of Thailand. Do they know how gravity works?

Edited by blueshark

Seems that we'll see more photos like this one in the near future.

The other photo shows the solution. Don't we all know where the money didn't go to?----------wai.gif

What we are told is that the 120 Million Baht has been allocated against a list of approved flood defense projects. Hopefully that cash is in the hands of the many project engineers who have to arrange for the payment of the subcontractors. At this stage there is no reason to suspect corruption and time enough for a Quantity Surveyors audit to discover if Thailand has quantifiable value in the works completed that reconciles with the 120 Million allocated. If any member of the house has befitted financially from the 120 million I think that they should be publicly Birched.

They bought loads of spades from Burma and dug a big hole in the middle of Thailand... and the water will then disappear with the help of 40 monks all praying really hard....

Don't laugh I have seen this s h i t happen before :-)

ok you can laugh now!

Edited by blueshark

The usual suspects here are already beating the drums against the govt before there is any evidence in. They say that nothing has been done in their neighbourhood and infer that the same must be true across the country. I recently saw a piece on TV (BBC I think) showing sturdy-looking flood barriers being installed in key locations such as around industrial estates. Of course, it would be equally erroneous of me to assume the same good work is being done in other parts of the country that need it. But let's give things a chance. So many people here want to trash the play before the actors have even taken the stage...

Look, floods are inevitable. Bangkok is on a flood-plane in a monsoonal zone. This is what happens. Could be worse... could be Dhaka. And last year was an aberration... rainfall more than 300% above average. Not that it can't happen again. But people here seem to be ready to blame the government unless every part of the country stays bone-dry. Good luck with that...

A lot of the barriers being built around private industrial estates are being paid for by the industrial estates, not the government.

Last week I drive along Klong 1,2,3,4& 5 ans klong Rangsit. From the Lamlook road to Ratipat Canal, There was no indication thet there had been any maintenance of the canals, they had not been dredged, they has large amounts of trash, trees and water plants. I live next to klong 3 in Lamlokka district, the banks of the canal have colapsed into the canal. Where OH Where, Oh Where, did the money go?

Dubai

It does not say that the money is exhausted, it says that it has been distributed to the various State Agencies. Whether or not these Agenices have yet spent all their allocated funds is yet to be seen. It appears that there is still work in progress and funds yet to be spent as some State Agencies are behind on the flood prevention works.

TV's own caption.

Will argue that point I think.

Thailand's Bt120 Billion Anti-Flood Budget Exhausted.

Yes!

What faultless logic!

When...."Tallest Thai In The World"... ...actually means average sized Thai bloke making plans to climb Mt Everest, I wouldn't be too sure! wai.gif

• Like 1

good to see somebody reads before adding banal predictable posts

• Like 1

Like batering over what percentage of the locallly allocated funds / tea money each local puyai mooban and his underlings get from the kitty and what is left over for the actual repairs and improvements.

2 for us 1 for the repairs, 2 for me 1 for the repairs, 2 for me 1 for the repairs rolleyes.gif

marshbags whistling.gif

Edited by marshbags
  • Like 1

its easy to see why some have flown off the handle over this considering the title is "Thailands-bt120-billion-anti-flood-budget-exhausted"

but reaction drives sales and TV know what its audience wants

and the true headline "thailands-bt120-billion-anti-flood-budget-DISTRIBUTED" is too normal and boring,and not conducive to frothing at the mouth.

Saying that I would LOVE to know in what form the money was actually distributed,

as we nearly ran out of brown paper envelopes over in Ireland a few years ago with all the backhanders over building projects...."WHATS THAT" you cry!,

corruption in ANOTHER COUNTRY!..."SWOON" smile.png

anyway,here's hoping we don't get flooded out of it this year(hope is about all we can do),I too am totally puzzled about the refusal to let the Dutch help,

they're great at fingering Dykes apparently tongue.png

Edited by QualityTouristNumberOne
  • Like 1

No, no, no! You're both missing the point. If you don't want people to believe a headline, then don't be irresponsible by using words like "exhausted". use the word "distributed" instead. Some people simply don't have time to read the entire article. A headline is the most powerful message, not the small print.

yes, yes, yes, if only people would read more than just the headline. Particularly posts #2, #6 and #14

• 5 weeks later...

The other photo shows the solution. Don't we all know where the money didn't go to?----------wai.gif

What we are told is that the 120 Million Baht has been allocated against a list of approved flood defense projects. Hopefully that cash is in the hands of the many project engineers who have to arrange for the payment of the subcontractors. At this stage there is no reason to suspect corruption and time enough for a Quantity Surveyors audit to discover if Thailand has quantifiable value in the works completed that reconciles with the 120 Million allocated. If any member of the house has befitted financially from the 120 million I think that they should be publicly Birched.

Polite correction

120 BILLION

"Hopefully that cash is in the hands of the many project engineers"

Today, it seems there's likelihood that a lot of the cash is in the hands of Hong Kong's anti-corruption agency.

16,000,000,000.00 Baht recently transferred to Hong Kong from Thailand has been seized by their anti-corruption agency due to strong suspicions it is money obtained illegally. They are now investigating the sources and owners of the money.

Initial indications are that it evolved from money allocated for Thailand's flood management and Yingluck's government is being asked to explain.

Further details on the confiscated 16 Billion Baht are in today's other paper.

Edited by Buchholz

Hong Kong has been in the news a bit lately. They could start to track down the offenders by checking who has travelled there recently.

Somebody with a few errands perhaps. This certainly seems errant.

Edited by OzMick

Polite correction

120 BILLION

"Hopefully that cash is in the hands of the many project engineers"

Today, it seems there's likelihood that a lot of the cash is in the hands of Hong Kong's anti-corruption agency.

16,000,000,000.00 Baht recently transferred to Hong Kong from Thailand has been seized by their anti-corruption agency due to strong suspicions it is money obtained illegally. They are now investigating the sources and owners of the money.

Initial indications are that it evolved from money allocated for Thailand's flood management and Yingluck's government is being asked to explain.

The Democrats have based their call on "information" provided by the "Nation Associate Anti-Corruption Network (NACN)."

Who are they? Here

"a member of Nation Associate Anti-Corruption Network (NACN) holds a placard while shouting slogans during a rally outside the U.S. embassy in Bangkok August 10, 2012"

2012-08-10T055255Z_839012848_GM2E88A12GR01_RTRMADP_3_THAILAND.JPG

I think we can ascertain a general idea of their political beliefs. No political axe to grind there at all, Oh, no.
  • Like 1

Someone should inform the AMLO as well wink.png

"Meanwhile, Pol Capt Suwanee Sawaengpol, the deputy secretary-general of the Anti-Money Laundering Office (AMLO), said she had not yet received information about the Anti-Corruption Network's recent disclosure that Bt16 billion were sent from Bangkok for money-laundering to Hong Kong but it was intercepted by the HK anti-corruption agency."

http://www.thaivisa....2/#entry5751069