5 Reasons Why Owning An Iphone 5 Will Be The Badge Of A Fool

Phil Conners

sick and tired of hearing about the freaking iphone now so many pc hardware site are onit like a broken record so i have decide to stop looking at these site's for a few weeks .. i know they are only doing to try and get a free sample of it whats kind of sad really .. Should just buy it like everybody eles have to do because at the end of the day they are only going to sell these items on to make a quick buck ...

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

iphone5 test results shows its way faster than quad core monster gs3! That proves how ios is more efficient than android.

Cite your source.

Google it .

Sent from my XT910 using Thaivisa Connect App

I'm afraid you are talking out of your hat, which is probably why you could not cite a source.

Here's one:

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/136291-iphone-5-benchmarks-slower-than-the-galaxy-s3-faster-than-the-nexus-7

Over the weekend, the first iPhone 5 benchmarks have started to appear on Geekbench. The results, if they’re real, highlight two very interesting facts: The new core inside the A6 SoC is Apple’s own creation, rather than a Cortex-A9 or A15; and despite the new core, the latest dual- and quad-core Android devices are just as fast, or faster.

Of course, it's quite irrelevant what the benchmarks say, it's how it actually performs in a real world scenario laden with apps that really matters.

But please don't just throw statements around in the hope that it will impress someone.

It is however twice as "fast" as the i4S if that's what swings your purchasing decision.

However, their overall raiting for the i5 is 1601 and for the S3 it is 1781.

If you actually do some homework on the iPhone you'll find out how they've actually optimised it, and I'm sure that's all very good, and yes it is a vast improvement on the 4S.

BUT - and this is the key - chucking around meaningless, unsubstantiated statements like "iphone5 test results shows its way faster than quad core monster gs3! That proves how ios is more efficient than android." just makes me laugh. You have "proven" precisely jack shit. I would go so far as to say that by switching to yet another proprietary connection and continuing to exclude external storage leaves the iPhone still lagging behind its competitors.

Edited by Chicog
  • Like 1

So, besides using your phones as basketballs you are doing fractal maths on them ?

I can imagine hardcore gamers might need the flops (although what they need is GPU), but the common user playing with an iFart app got enough performance a couple of generations back already.

If you really need power, get a 19" rack with some blades in it. The smartphones are a step back from desktops, one that's commonly accepted because of the portability advantage. Still, they are pretty much toys. Which explains the flame wars, kids always fight over the toys.

Yes, it's a common practice in electronics to swap a used "broken" unit for a working "refurbished" unit and quickly return the customer to operation. Not many will give you a "new" one for your used broken one, no economic sense there.

Don't own an iPhone myself but know quite a few who do. One banged on for ages when she got it, it was in a protective cover and then always placed in a fur bag. I mentioned something to her about the extreme level of care she exibited which got a bit of a laugh as she knows she is quite careless with things Some time later, a few months I guess, I saw her on the phone which she just dumped into her handbad alongside her keys etc. Turns out hers broke down and the one that was sent back looked like it had been owned by a builder. No doubt some people are also getting returned a phone in much better condition than the one they sent. You pays ya money, ya taks ya chance..

That happens, but not often.. If it happened to my GF, she'd be all over the shop to exchange for a decent one. Usually the refurbishers will replace the worn looking pieces. If she went to an Apple store, I'm sure they want the customer to be happy.

At least screens and other pieces can be replaced without too much effort locally. If it's a serious failure, it's exchange.

I didn't examine the replacement and it was her builder comment. The issue was the extreme care she had taken with her old one. Thinking back, I'd hazzard a guess that she had the original phone for 6 months before it spat the dummy so if during that whole period the same extreme care had been taken, the replacement (assuming average wear over 6 months) would have been much lower. There is no 'exact' look for a 6 month old iPhone, only an average. I did feel more sorry for her because it was the only thing I had ever seen her take any care of at all.

iHaters gonna hate. Where is your hardware monster android phones now? Apple did it again.

Btw faster dual core krait version of gs3 only available in lte markets. Much slower quad core gs3 is sold in rest of the world.

I don't hate iPhones, I just detest idiots that constantly try to misrepresent them as the best thing since sliced bread. They suit millions of people perfectly, so they must have something going for them, but people who bleat on about how fast the processor is don't seem to realise some of us need things like expanded storage, replaceable batteries, and so on.

Not to mention complete control over the device and the right to choose a different interface if you feel like it.

You only have to watch that Jimmy Kimmel skit to realise how brainwashed many iphone users actually are (although in recent years Android itself has garnered a ton of fanbois that really haven't got a clue what they're on about half the time).

iHaters gonna hate. Where is your hardware monster android phones now? Apple did it again.

Btw faster dual core krait version of gs3 only available in lte markets. Much slower quad core gs3 is sold in rest of the world.

I don't hate iPhones, I just detest idiots that constantly try to misrepresent them as the best thing since sliced bread. They suit millions of people perfectly, so they must have something going for them, but people who bleat on about how fast the processor is don't seem to realise some of us need things like expanded storage, replaceable batteries, and so on.

Not to mention complete control over the device and the right to choose a different interface if you feel like it.

You only have to watch that Jimmy Kimmel skit to realise how brainwashed many iphone users actually are (although in recent years Android itself has garnered a ton of fanbois that really haven't got a clue what they're on about half the time).

Its hard to understand you people. This is a telephone, not a modded router or linux desktop. Stability and usability should be most important thing in a smartphone. Android may offer you so called customizations, at what cost? Battery life! Until Android 4.0 with quadcore cpus, there was no smooth scrolling in any Android device. With Android 4.1 you finally got iPhone level smooth scrolling in quad core devices! iPhone did it in 2007 with 412Mhz cpu and 128Mb ram using GPU acceleration.

After seeing iPhone benchmark tests, so called Android fans will argue hardware is not that important, software is. Hell yeah? I can show you many small children of 4 years or younger can completely use iOS on iPad and iPhone. It simply works and easy to use. No I don't need stupid live wallpapers or widgets.

1Ghz dualcore custom cpu (similar to Krait) beat your quadcore cpus on Android. What the hell you are defending? An unefficient non-userfriendly garbage OS?

Until Android 4.0 with quadcore cpus, there was no smooth scrolling in any Android device. With Android 4.1 you finally got iPhone level smooth scrolling in quad core devices! iPhone did it in 2007 with 412Mhz cpu and 128Mb ram using GPU acceleration.

After seeing iPhone benchmark tests, so called Android fans will argue hardware is not that important, software is. Hell yeah? I can show you many small children of 4 years or younger can completely use iOS on iPad and iPhone. It simply works and easy to use. No I don't need stupid live wallpapers or widgets.

1Ghz dualcore custom cpu (similar to Krait) beat your quadcore cpus on Android. What the hell you are defending? An unefficient non-userfriendly garbage OS?

I have no idea what you are on about; "Android didn't have smooth scrolling until 4.0?". What utter nonsense.

And I've already posted benchmarks that show the new iphone is not the all singing, all dancing zinger you would have us believe: It's only just caught up with the opposition, and it will be superseded within months. Again - that's *if* "speed" is an issue when the differences are so negligible and it depends how many apps you have running, etc.

My guess is that, barring people who must have iphone no matter what, any salesmen would have no trouble flogging an SIII over an i5 - especially in Europe where Apple have decided there isn't enough 4G to justify supporting it.

Just the UK alone, O2 and Vodafone will be pushing other smartphones like crazy now, because they can't sell 4G services on the iphone.

I don't give a toss who buys what phone, as long as what I want is available. Frankly the evangelists are bloody tiresome and most of the time they bang on about bits that make absolutely no difference to 90% of consumers anyway.

• Like 2

Oh, and apparently the new map application on ios6 is coming in for a ton of flak; little by way of the high res imagery previously available in Google, and sorely lacking places of interest, restaurants, etc.

That's not going to help, either.

iphone5 test results shows its way faster than quad core monster gs3! That proves how ios is more efficient than android.

might also be due to the Apple-designed A6. this is the first time Apple has actually put their very own custom core in an iOS device. the previous A- chips were also custom, but apparently still based on ARM reference design cores.

it's interesting people think that Apple is spending $500M on chip development for nothing... maybe just maybe they're spending that money to get a slightly faster chip than anyone else, that uses way less battery. That'd be my guess.

Samsung fabs chips - including the A6 for Apple - but even they use the ARM reference designs...

As for where these benchmarks come from, they are all over the internet, Google is your friend.

I don't get people who say Android didn't have stuttering issues before Jelly Bean - coming from an iPhone it's dead obvious even on the lock screen. I guess it depends on what you're used to. But all water under the bridges now, JB supposedly fixes all of that (I haven't seen it in action but I believe the reports, and I've read the blog entries from the guy responsible for a constant frame rate in Android, he comes from a gaming background...)

Oh, and apparently the new map application on ios6 is coming in for a ton of flak; little by way of the high res imagery previously available in Google, and sorely lacking places of interest, restaurants, etc.

I believe it... competing with Google Maps is hard, just look at Bing Maps. Microsoft has worked on that for years and it's nowhere near as good. Now Apple is doing their own - I imagine it will get better quick, and I am disappointed they did apparently *not* use OpenStreetMaps.

This will be worse than Google maps and I am afraid in far away places such as Thailand, possibly way worse.

They'll improve these things quickly though, I imagine. It's all server side, they can do constant updates, and they get usage data from people using iPhones. I would think that by this time next year they're about on par with Google Maps.

Here's a hint: when you do need to hit something with a hammer just for the hell of it, aim at your own forehead. What are the people doing, throwing the phones around for sports or just being plain clumsy ? I don't think I've dropped one since I .. well never, really.

I must be super clumsy..I've dropped my phones hundreds of times laugh.png

Here's a hint: when you do need to hit something with a hammer just for the hell of it, aim at your own forehead. What are the people doing, throwing the phones around for sports or just being plain clumsy ? I don't think I've dropped one since I .. well never, really.

I must be super clumsy..I've dropped my phones hundreds of times laugh.png

You're right, you must be. I can count the number of times I've dropped mine on one hand since the days when they were bricks with handles. And I've only ever disabled one, and that was water damage due to Songkran penetrating a bona-fide diver's pouch and ziploc bag!

biggrin.png

I believe it... competing with Google Maps is hard, just look at Bing Maps. Microsoft has worked on that for years and it's nowhere near as good. Now Apple is doing their own - I imagine it will get better quick, and I am disappointed they did apparently *not* use OpenStreetMaps.

This will be worse than Google maps and I am afraid in far away places such as Thailand, possibly way worse.

They'll improve these things quickly though, I imagine. It's all server side, they can do constant updates, and they get usage data from people using iPhones. I would think that by this time next year they're about on par with Google Maps.

Early reports from dissatisfied users suggest they have an awful lot of photographs to take/buy to catch up (and that doesn't even include Street View).

As for the chip, are they actually making the new one themselves to reduce dependence on their arch foe, Samsung?

Early reports from dissatisfied users suggest they have an awful lot of photographs to take/buy to catch up (and that doesn't even include Street View).

As for the chip, are they actually making the new one themselves to reduce dependence on their arch foe, Samsung?

Samsung is not arm. They are merely a foundr for Apple. Just like tsmc. Samsung uses default arm design with arm mali gpu. Apple always tweaks arm designs. And now, they redefined it!

OpenStreetMaps is generally not very good compared to Google Maps. But there is a chance it could be better than the new iOS6 maps :)http://theamazingios6maps.tumblr.com/

There's always a premium you have to pay if you're inadept. Enter Apple. It's tech for dummies, with the appropriate markup.

Yes, nobody in silicon valley buys an iphone. I'm sure you guys are all much more tech savvy.

For some the price differential doesn't make sense but for others it does. Let it go.

There's always a premium you have to pay if you're inadept. Enter Apple. It's tech for dummies, with the appropriate markup.

Yes, nobody in silicon valley buys an iphone. I'm sure you guys are all much more tech savvy.

For some the price differential doesn't make sense but for others it does. Let it go.

The map app in new iOS 6 is bad...... Wants u to take Sukhumvit road instead of expressway

Samsung is not arm. They are merely a foundr for Apple. Just like tsmc. Samsung uses default arm design with arm mali gpu. Apple always tweaks arm designs. And now, they redefined it!

Well it transpires that they have dumped Samsung for both Flash Storage (now from Hynix) and LPDDR2 memory (from Elpida).

With such industry insight , I'm sure all of you invested in AAPL at $70 right? coffee1.gif

Try $52biggrin.png

My father purchased 250 shares in March 1989 at 8 7/8, it has split 2:1 twice, with some dividends, so 1,000 shares now which got transferred to me on his death - I didn't even know he had these.

• Like 1

I bought a Nokia1200 four years ago for 800 THB

It has been dropped on average of once a month for 4 years

and it keeps on working. I can make and receive calls and can

send and receive SMS

What else do I need a phone for?

My GF has had an Iphone for a year and it has broken 3 times

I will not buy a new or old Iphone ... no need.

My 800 THB phone will last me forever

I hope you and your 'feature phone' will be happy together forever! :)

Well it transpires that they have dumped Samsung for both Flash Storage (now from Hynix) and LPDDR2 memory (from Elpida).

And they are shifting lots of their LCD production from Samsung to LG (like 1,000,000 units a month or something).