Back Lash Against Mixed Marriages

Savage

I'm married to a Thai of the same age & roughly the same social standing and have never felt any real outward resentment towards me from the Thai people. I think about the volume of females in Thailand that have foreign husbands and think to myself, if this was the UK there would surely be a backlash against the foreign men. Do you think this would be possible one day? Has anyone ever experienced obvious hostility because they are a mixed race couple?

Sorry if this has already been covered.

Sav

I'm married to a Thai of the same age & roughly the same social standing and have never felt any real outward resentment towards me from the Thai people. I think about the volume of females in Thailand that have foreign husbands and think to myself, if this was the UK there would surely be a backlash against the foreign men. Do you think this would be possible one day? Has anyone ever experienced obvious hostility because they are a mixed race couple?

Sorry if this has already been covered.

Sav

I'm not married but have had Thai girl friends both here in Thailand as in my home country. Like you, they were of the same age (give or take a few years) and social standing and I have never experienced any hostility in both countries, neither from her nor my family and friends. However, I have noticed that older men with younger girlfriends (and I mean, 20+ years younger) often face ridicule in my home country with people automatically assuming that he "bought" her either from the internet, a bar, or straight from the farm. "After all," they say, "what would a gorgeous young woman stick with a man twice her age if it wasn't for money." But hostility, no.

And I don't think that will became an issue. Furthermore, I've heard several Thais and foreigners comment on the fact that the offspring of a mixed couple are often quite beautiful/handsome.

I have a Thai wife now and I previously had a Malaysian wife, who was ethnic Chinese. I find Thailand to be quite accepting of Farang-Thai matches. I was in Malaysia 10 years ago with my Malaysia wife and the acceptance was not so great there. There is not a lot of mixing and mingling of the races there due to religion and other factors. I lived in USA for 7 years with my Malaysia wife. The problems encountered there were usually from jeleous older women (45+), who did not like it that I imported a beautiful (and young) foreign woman for my wife. If she (my wife) had been an old nasty battle-axe, there would have been no problem.