New Iphone 5

devaram

1. 4G in Thailand anytime soon...dont hold your breathe...(was in KL over the weekend...they had 4G, but here in Bangkok, they are still trying to challenge the recent 3G auction)...

Some service providers could deploy LTE/4G on existing spectrum tomorrow. There would be no need to hold one's breath?

Some service providers may choose to deploy 4G/LTE on 2100 MHz, assuming the recent auction holds.

Some service providers might choose to deploy 4G/LTE to address capacity issues, download speeds are not really a factor.

4G in Thailand?...OK if you can hold your breathe for 2 or 3 yrs ...

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. 4G in Thailand anytime soon...dont hold your breathe...(was in KL over the weekend...they had 4G, but here in Bangkok, they are still trying to challenge the recent 3G auction)...

Some service providers could deploy LTE/4G on existing spectrum tomorrow. There would be no need to hold one's breath?

Some service providers may choose to deploy 4G/LTE on 2100 MHz, assuming the recent auction holds.

Some service providers might choose to deploy 4G/LTE to address capacity issues, download speeds are not really a factor.

With little or no capable hand-sets it might be a waste to deploy 4G/LTE sooner rather than later.

Clearly I didn't do a very good job explaining the nuances. Nevermind.

With little or no capable hand-sets it might be a waste to deploy 4G/LTE sooner rather than later.

Clearly I didn't do a very good job explaining the nuances. Nevermind.

I believe all factors point to no 4G for a long (tech) time in Thailand...no need to point out nuances...

I believe all factors point to no 4G for a long (tech) time in Thailand...no need to point out nuances...

Which factors are those?

There really is only one factor affecting 4G/LTE build-out in the near-term: a lack of compliant hand-sets, that is to say, no market.

But just as service providers around the world are hitting capacity limits they are re-farming spectrum, and I honestly expect that to happen once there are more hand-sets purchased.

Dismissing the possibility out of hand is certainly your prerogative, and it certainly doesn't reflect negatively on you.

Edited by lomatopo

Anyone with an iPhone 5 mind sharing what's your experience so far with the product?

I've had an iPhone5 for a while now (a HK issued one).white 64gig...Im quite happy with it...but it had some touch screen freezing issues, which the recent 6.0.1 update largely (but not completely fixed)

it is very sleek (and 4" screen is of course bigger than the 4S)....but battery drains quickly (I seem to be a slightly heavy user...internet, calls, LINE, whatsapp, twitter, stocks/metals, notes, books). so really badly need a battery case....(I dont like the awkward external power devices)....

I also carry a Galaxy Note2 5.5" screen for a work backup....

• Like 1

Anyone with an iPhone 5 mind sharing what's your experience so far with the product?

Screen is Amazing, much better than Crappy oversaturated 240 nits Amoleds, better than iPhone 4/4s screen. It is a calibrated screen like in iPad 3/ ipad with retina screen. I have white one, although most people were buying black ones in Truemove event. White one looks like a jewelry, very well designed.

As usual, I maintain 2 day battery life with 3G / wifi on, push mail, low usage.

• Like 1

I found a great case for the iPhone5. It's from Lunatik. The case is still under development and hopefully it will come out in December. In case some of you guys are interested you can use my crowd sales link to get some discounts. (http://mbsy.co/LUNATIK/44413). I bought other products there but impatiently waiting for the Lunatik5 to come out.

pretty fuggly if you ask me

I found a great case for the iPhone5. It's from Lunatik. The case is still under development and hopefully it will come out in December. In case some of you guys are interested you can use my crowd sales link to get some discounts. (http://mbsy.co/LUNATIK/44413). I bought other products there but impatiently waiting for the Lunatik5 to come out.

pretty fuggly if you ask me

I didn't ask, but entitled to your opinion you are. wai.gif

Which factors are those?

There really is only one factor affecting 4G/LTE build-out in the near-term: a lack of compliant hand-sets, that is to say, no market.

But just as service providers around the world are hitting capacity limits they are re-farming spectrum, and I honestly expect that to happen once there are more hand-sets purchased.

Dismissing the possibility out of hand is certainly your prerogative, and it certainly doesn't reflect negatively on you.

This is a completely idiotic argument when it comes to Thailand. Do you think we don't have 4G in Thailand because of the handsets? There have been 3G handsets in Thailand for more than a decade. A DECADE! And only now are they having an auction about real, genuine 3G? So you believe there were no 3G handsets around and that caused it to take such long time?

You also fail to understand that 4G (or LTE) is not only used for handsets. More than often in Europe it is used for mobile broadband. Those 4G modems are easy to buy, a common one being a Huawei modem. It seems that most of you fail to understand that the true 3G network as well as the 4G network is also for mobile broadband, not just mobile phones. You can pick up a 4G modem for 3000 baht today so the hardware is already there. Mobile broadband is widely used in Europe and the US but seems to be less so here in Thailand.

Just the other month or so we had the 3G auction, which is still being challenged. There is still no TRUE 3G in this country. The service providers write about 3G and 3G+ and have been doing so for ages. But it is not true 3G (look it up) and that is why they had the auction. How can they claim to offer real 3G before they even have an auction about it? Use your common sense people. They have been using a "lesser form" of 3G to put it simply but not the real thing and that is why they had the auction. Politics, money and corruption decides these things in Thailand and NOT the handsets offered on sale. You are naive to think that if we got a lot of 4G handsets on the market that we would get 4G in Thailand within a year or two. Get real! And yes, I work for the owners of DTAC and I have LTE in the country I'm from.

Edited by Zhivago

[........... There is still no TRUE 3G in this country. The service providers write about 3G and 3G+ and have been doing so for ages. But it is not true 3G (look it up) and that is why they had the auction

What a road of kwap ! You obviously know squat.

Legalities aside, the equipment all operators have bought is brand new. I was in Europe many months back and they have exactly the same equipment. LoL

France has just rolled out their first trial city with 4G, just a few weeks back the UK rolled out 4G in 11 cities.

With 4g still dependent on 2 or 3G for voice, what options are there for current Thai operators when they have to hand those networks back in a few years?

Better check your google URL for damage

I didn't ask, but entitled to your opinion you are. wai.gif

It's ok, if I want your opinion I will tell you it

Yes Boss. wai.gif Thanks for your consideration clap2.gif. Anyhow my opinion has already been given so you will not need to ask me... sorry TELL me wink.pngbiggrin.png

No need to be aggressive. If you don't like something, there are other terms or ways of expressing your thoughts other than using the word "fuggly"! Keep it polite first of all, and you might have nice answers too.

Peace.

Edited by Polanskiman

[........... There is still no TRUE 3G in this country. The service providers write about 3G and 3G+ and have been doing so for ages. But it is not true 3G (look it up) and that is why they had the auction

It is amazing that somebody would care about 3G, yet now know that True 3G has been working, country-wide, for at least 2 years now. At first they called it True 3G and installed "trials" in many places; then they struck a deal with CAT and now have True-H which works everywhere in Thailand.

Still waiting for the iPhone 5, haven't heard anything. More time for them to work out the kinks I suppose.

It is amazing that somebody would care about 3G, yet now know that True 3G has been working, country-wide, for at least 2 years now. At first they called it True 3G and installed "trials" in many places; then they struck a deal with CAT and now have True-H which works everywhere in Thailand.

Still waiting for the iPhone 5, haven't heard anything. More time for them to work out the kinks I suppose.

Sorry to hear. And I already had two cheesy.gif ... Going to change it for the 2nd time now. Battery life is really poor. Not sure if it's due to the fact that I restored the iphone5 from my old iphone 3G who was jailbreaked but it is really pissing me off. Read here and there that simply creating a new iphone instead of restoring from a backup would get rid of the problem, but honestly that defies the whole purpose of backup/restore and it would simply take too long to do anyways.

Edited by Polanskiman
  • Like 1

A Hon Hai (Foxconn) executive recently said that they are having a hard time keeping up with demand for the iPhone 5, although he didn't elaborate on the issues, be they component supplies, labor or challenges meeting Apple's tighter workmanship specs. The 14 year old girls probably have much nimbler fingers required but they can only be employed as "apprentices" on school break. ;)

And there are some fugly rumors about Apple having to sink $ 2 billion into Sharp to keep it out of receivership and maintain display supplies ahead of the iPhone 5 launch.

And Samsung is rumored to be delaying a new fab plant aimed at addressing Apple component requirements.

Apple and Samsung should seriously sit down and hash out some sort of agreement as both are causing more harm, internally and externally, than the myriad lawsuits.

Even when they try to stymie each other it backfires, see how SGS3 sales surged, taking the model top-spot in Q3 with 18 million units, when Apple accused Samsung of copying? Better to peacefully co-exist.

• Like 1

A Hon Hai (Foxconn) executive recently said that they are having a hard time keeping up with demand for the iPhone 5, although he didn't elaborate on the issues, be they component supplies, labor or challenges meeting Apple's tighter workmanship specs. The 14 year old girls probably have much nimbler fingers required but they can only be employed as "apprentices" on school break. wink.png

And there are some fugly rumors about Apple having to sink $ 2 billion into Sharp to keep it out of receivership and maintain display supplies ahead of the iPhone 5 launch.

And Samsung is rumored to be delaying a new fab plant aimed at addressing Apple component requirements.

Apple and Samsung should seriously sit down and hash out some sort of agreement as both are causing more harm, internally and externally, than the myriad lawsuits.

Even when they try to stymie each other it backfires, see how SGS3 sales surged, taking the model top-spot in Q3 with 18 million units, when Apple accused Samsung of copying? Better to peacefully co-exist.

Do know Samsung's chip plant located in Texas, USA is on a double shift churning out components for their smart phones as well as for Apple. Samsung's rumoured delay opening a new fab plant is a reality. Samsung has to put aside one billion dollars + if they lose their appeal in U S courts which I think they expect. Since that new plant will cost Apple more delays vice Samsung I really don't think they give a hoot. Apple has to wake up and make a decision. Keep putting dollars in their pockets or begin planning on making their products in their own plants. Of course that will take years to accomplish. Time will tell....

I have a good one for you folks. Went to TRUE at CP tower to exchange my iPhone 5 (battery problems and clicking screen).

1. For the battery problem they dialed some obscure code on the phone between 2 '#s'. This returned a serial number which they input in their computer and which then returned some info about the phone saying, among others, that my battery was working perfectly... interesting... So I told them that I must be crazy then! Luckily I had the screen problem! clap2.gif

2. For the screen clicking obviously the only solution was to exchange the phone. Which they did (wonder why they didn't do this to start with). Anyways, they opened a new box and asked me to check the phone. It was scratched on the corners. Obviously I told them that they could open another one as I was paying big bucks and wanted something in perfect cosmetic condition. So they did. They opened another box. And there it was again. I wiped the phone to make sure it was not some dust or my eyes playing tricks on me. Scratches and scuffs on the frame not very big, nonetheless still visible. Their policy doesn't allow them to open more than 2 boxes per customer if cosmetics is the reason for rejection so they put me on a queue and they will call me back for a new round. They gave me some sort of receipt.

I'm not really upset at TRUE as this is not their responsability. I am extremely disappointed however at Apple. I guess you can't always be up there all the time. whistling.gif

Edited by Polanskiman

Legalities aside, the equipment all operators have bought is brand new. I was in Europe many months back and they have exactly the same equipment. LoL

France has just rolled out their first trial city with 4G, just a few weeks back the UK rolled out 4G in 11 cities.

With 4g still dependent on 2 or 3G for voice, what options are there for current Thai operators when they have to hand those networks back in a few years?

For crying out loud you obviously do not know squat! Just read the Bangkok Post today. I quote: "Two major mobile operators are threatening to sue the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) if it fails to issue third-generation (3G) licenses by mid-January." Did you read that? Do you understand what that means? And you believe there is actual, real, 3G in Thailand? Actual 3G runs on the 2100-MHz band and this is what they have been bidding for. The three operators all got 45 megahertz of spectrum each. The auction is now tangled up in political infighting. So don't expect it any time soon. There is only a "light version" of 3G at the moment in Thailand using the 900MHz and 1800MHz spectra. The world standard spectrum for 3G is 2100Mhz. So please educate yourself before you tell others that they talk "kwap" (it is spelled crap by the way). You end up looking like a fool otherwise.

With all the delays over 3G in this country (and they are still fighting over the auction) there is no way in hell Thailand will have 4G for another 5 years at least.

For crying out loud you obviously do not know squat! Just read the Bangkok Post today. I quote: "Two major mobile operators are threatening to sue the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) if it fails to issue third-generation (3G) licenses by mid-January." Did you read that? Do you understand what that means? And you believe there is actual, real, 3G in Thailand? Actual 3G runs on the 2100-MHz band and this is what they have been bidding for. The three operators all got 45 megahertz of spectrum each. The auction is now tangled up in political infighting. So don't expect it any time soon. There is only a "light version" of 3G at the moment in Thailand using the 900MHz and 1800MHz spectra. The world standard spectrum for 3G is 2100Mhz. So please educate yourself before you tell others that they talk "kwap" (it is spelled crap by the way). You end up looking like a fool otherwise.

With all the delays over 3G in this country (and they are still fighting over the auction) there is no way in hell Thailand will have 4G for another 5 years at least.

Ummmm 850mhz not 1800. So your information is not COMPLETELY accurate. Also many countries are using 850mhz 3g as in fill out in the country areas. Australia etc

sent from my Q6

Ummmm 850mhz not 1800. So your information is not COMPLETELY accurate. Also many countries are using 850mhz 3g as in fill out in the country areas. Australia etc

sent from my Q6

Sorry to tell you that most of the "3G" service in Thailand is on the 900- and 1800-MHz spectra. This is fine for calls and SMS but to achieve the full data transfer abillity of 3G you need to get on the 2100MHz spectrum. Once the providers start getting customers on the 2100MHz we will get faster Internet speed on our smartphones and mobile broadband. 2100MHz is the international standard for 3G. That is why I say that there is only a "light version" of 3G in Thailand but we are not up to international 3G standard yet. In other words, Thailand is yet not getting the full juice out of 3G.

The whole 3G auction thing has been ridiculous from day 1 and it is hard to believe that it has taken this long. Then again, it is not so hard to understand. It is called corruption and constant political infighting and Thailand is a world champion at this.

Zhivago. You claim you work for Dtac. Yet you don't know they currently use the 850mhz spectrum for 3g. As do True 3h.

Aid use 900mhz for 2g and 3g. True move use 1800mhz.

Also you go about ' light' as if you can't have high speed on 850mhz.. that's wrong.

sent from my Q6

It's called HSPA +

sent from my Q6

Edited by thaicbr

Super mega lol..... Having recently acquired an Internet connection does not make you a critic and obviously not a telecoms expert

3G typically these days is HSPDA+ faster, used to be UTMS or CDMA ( the old hutch ). These protocols can run on many frequencies .... Telstra 3G is on 850 MHz using HSPDA + infra.

Operators did not get 45 MHz each, in fact have nothing yet until license approved . When approved , they will have 15 MHz each.

There is no 1800 MHz 3G in Thailand , infact it probably does not exist. True 2g is on 1800 MHz

World spectrum for 3G is on many frequencies , but mainly 2100 and 850mhz. AIS on 900 MHz is not the norm ( try using an old iPhone 3GS on AIS 3G --- good luck ! ).

Wat a load of kwap, pls stick to commenting on fax machines, pulse dial POTS for the time being, and when you have mastered that, can upgrade to commenting on analog mobile.

Edited by skippybangkok

Super mega lol..... Having recently acquired an Internet connection does not make you a critic and obviously not a telecoms expert

3G typically these days is HSPDA+ faster, used to be UTMS or CDMA ( the old hutch ). These protocols can run on many frequencies .... Telstra 3G is on 850 MHz using HSPDA + infra.

Operators did not get 45 MHz each, in fact have nothing yet until license approved . When approved , they will have 15 MHz each.

There is no 1800 MHz 3G in Thailand , infact it probably does not exist. True 2g is on 1800 MHz

World spectrum for 3G is on many frequencies , but mainly 2100 and 850mhz. AIS on 900 MHz is not the norm ( try using an old iPhone 3GS on AIS 3G --- good luck ! ).

Wat a load of kwap, pls stick to commenting on fax machines, pulse dial POTS for the time being, and when you have mastered that, can upgrade to commenting on analog mobile.

You are right! I wrote that wrong. Each of the three operators got 15MHz each and the total was 45MHz. My bad!

But you are now agreeing with me about the 2100MHz spectrum for 3G. It is the international standard and it brings 3G up to its full juice in terms of data transfer. Why on earth would there be so much fuzz in Thailand about this 3G auction if it did not have an impact? It has an enormous impact. And please realise that it is not just about your iPhones but also about mobile broadband and how it affects your upload/download speed.

Zhivago. You claim you work for Dtac. Yet you don't know they currently use the 850mhz spectrum for 3g. As do True 3h.

Aid use 900mhz for 2g and 3g. True move use 1800mhz.

sent from my Q6

I have never claimed to work for DTAC. If you read more carefully I wrote I "work for the owners of DTAC". Check yourself before you make a fool out of yourself. If you know something about DTAC you know perfectly well who is the indirect owners of DTAC. I say "indirect" because we are not "supposed" to own DTAC and only have an "investment" in DTAC. But here is a funny fact for you: DTAC has the same logo as this European company I work for. Do not make false statements of other people, it makes you look foolish. I wrote that I "work for the owners of DTAC". Who is the fool now?

• Like 1