New Iphone 5

devaram

I didn't complete the form on truemove-h because I can't proceed with existing plan. If you choose to buy without package plan discount, it was 24.400 or 24.500 baht for 16 gigs which is 1500 baht or so expensive than applestore pricing.

And now I can't pre-book online because all reserved slots are full or something. Pathetic.

Like I said before limited supply. I am TRUELY surprised True has decided to release their extreamly limited supply. Other carriers most likely are in the same boat, so I'm told, but with cash flow all but at a stand stil, folks waiting for the new phone, I guess at the last minute True with Apple's permission decided to release the few hundred thay have in stock. It will be late December before demand will ease or so I'm told.

I did hear that the Samsung 3 S Mini in large quanties will go on sale here in one or two weeks. I think this is the reason Apple gave the go ahead to sucker folks into ordering and waiting for their iPhone 5. Only problem is carriers are scared of consumer back lash if they have to wait weeks after dropping down 5000 or closer to 6000 Baht deposits and not seeing delivery. I have the Mini thanks to my son who carried one in from Europe and it makes the new iPhone look sad indeed. And it's a lot cheaper! An A I S rep all but demanded that I sell it to her when I got a SIM for it.

The fact you even compare it to the iPhone 5 is quite funny. Chunkier in all ways, screen resolution that was decent a couple of years ago, slower processor, no LTE and only a 5mb camera. Enjoy your budget smartphone anyway

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Comparing S3 mini or S3 to iPhone 5 is even more funny. iPhone 5 cpu and gpu is way faster than S3. Build quality and "feel" is much better in iPhone. iPhone screen is not PENTiLE and calibrated to display near perfect colors unlike oversaturated, 240 nits bright S3 screen.

Btw, true updated their landing page for iphone. Now they show price and deposit you have to pay.

http://www3.truecorp.co.th/iphone/landing.html

The newspaper that we don't talk about here on TV says that the Iphone will be for sale here in Thailand this November 2nd

Yep. True Move has pre-order sign up on the 29th, AIS on the 30th. DTAC has ... a picture of the iPhone 5 on their website.

They'll probably have a very small allotment to give out to people, and then it's going to be 3-4 weeks just like everywhere else in the world.

Actually it is confirmed, I ordered mine and it will be available from 1st November at 10pm at Paragon. Had to pay a 5.300 Baht deposit.

Can you share the pricing?

And here it goes:

xtariff_package_iphone5.png.pagespeed.ic.QSuea9H6Yo.png

I printed the above out and showed it to my "contact". The phone price is correct but! The packages shown aren't. From what I've learned the Trio are in limbo package wise due to the government's recent statements that 3G on the newly purchased 2.1GHz frequency may be reduced anywhere from 15% to 20% depending on what the Trio set as the price. They not only are in contact with each other, their lawyers are looking into the possible legal implacations of such a move by the government. Their angle is whatever price they charge for the new iPhone pertains to the old 850MHz band, not the new 2.1GHz band which isn't operational. Now the tricky part. Will the Trio have to switch all users to the new frequency and thus have to reduce costs to all comsumers or can they keep them on the old 850 band and charge prices I will quote from the True store at Paradise Park. iPhone Free size 599 Baht 300 minutes free calls, no SMS No MMS 3G+/Edge/GPRS 2 GB WiFi sorta unlimited. XL package 899 Baht 500 minutes of free calls 300 Minutes of SMS 50 Minutes of MMS 3G+/Edge/GPRS reasonable unlimited usage. XXL package 999 Baht, same specs as the XL quoted above but spees for WiFi will be faster, 100Mbps vice 128 Kbps. These prices currently are being charged by TRUE if one goes in today and buys a Apple iPhone 4S. To make matters even worse TRUE currently charges users of smartphones other than the iPhone different packages. Go in and check it out, U will not believe what they will try to tell U.Only in Thailand does one have to hire a lawyer to buy a freaking phone.....

The NBTC appears to have the mandate to dictate pricing. AFAIK, they've only made noise to date - mentioning a 15 % - 20 % cut "before licenses are granted", whatever that means. Who knows how they'll handle bundled packages.

I guess, until the NBTC issues some sort of edict, service pricing will remain unchanged. Service providers can of course modify pricing pretty much at any time, so they'll adjust it downwards if required, or/and offer credit/rebates if required.

TrueMove H is an MVNO (reseller), if you believe what they say, of CAT services for the next 14 years. The legality of that agreement is still suspect. Further CAT may not own the 850 MHz spectrum, and may be required tor return it to the NBTC for auction.

Going forward, TrueFuture will/may be the new 2100 MHz brand of True. Who knows what that might mean re: porting (again)?

CAT and TrueMove H may have to break-up their current relationship, or re-adjust it.

Unless I'm missing something one will be safe buying an iPhone 5 and bundled post-paid plan from TrueMove H. Safe meaning that your monthly prices will remain the same or maybe be reduced, and you will have service.

All the service providers bundle hardware and services, especially on the high end, primarily for post-paid. TrueMove H has been the most aggressive on this front, subsidizing hardware, while the other providers have subsidized services.

The iPhone 5 bundles from TrueMove H have services discounted for the first six months, but do require an 18 month contract. Note the fair-use speed-limit of 64 Kbps.

Actually it is confirmed, I ordered mine and it will be available from 1st November at 10pm at Paragon. Had to pay a 5.300 Baht deposit.

Can you share the pricing?

And here it goes:

xtariff_package_iphone5.png.pagespeed.ic.QSuea9H6Yo.png

I printed the above out and showed it to my "contact". The phone price is correct but! The packages shown aren't. From what I've learned the Trio are in limbo package wise due to the government's recent statements that 3G on the newly purchased 2.1GHz frequency may be reduced anywhere from 15% to 20% depending on what the Trio set as the price. They not only are in contact with each other, their lawyers are looking into the possible legal implacations of such a move by the government. Their angle is whatever price they charge for the new iPhone pertains to the old 850MHz band, not the new 2.1GHz band which isn't operational. Now the tricky part. Will the Trio have to switch all users to the new frequency and thus have to reduce costs to all comsumers or can they keep them on the old 850 band and charge prices I will quote from the True store at Paradise Park. iPhone Free size 599 Baht 300 minutes free calls, no SMS No MMS 3G+/Edge/GPRS 2 GB WiFi sorta unlimited. XL package 899 Baht 500 minutes of free calls 300 Minutes of SMS 50 Minutes of MMS 3G+/Edge/GPRS reasonable unlimited usage. XXL package 999 Baht, same specs as the XL quoted above but spees for WiFi will be faster, 100Mbps vice 128 Kbps. These prices currently are being charged by TRUE if one goes in today and buys a Apple iPhone 4S. To make matters even worse TRUE currently charges users of smartphones other than the iPhone different packages. Go in and check it out, U will not believe what they will try to tell U.Only in Thailand does one have to hire a lawyer to buy a freaking phone.....

To be honest it doesn't matter to me what the trio and Co do as I am simply buying the unlocked phone without any package. I am keeping my old package which is cheaper and offers the same services than those provided till this date. Several times they have tried switching me to newer offers without success, for obvious reasons!

It sounds like DTAC will have events in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Khon Kaen and Phuket. I think you have to register tomorrow, on line:

Enrollment iPhone 5 Dtac.

On October 30, 2555.

10:00 to 12:00 am Registration is open. And a place to work. A. www.dtac.co.th.

13.00 List 1500 will be the right way www.dtac.co.th. You can confirm the time to attend the October 31, 2555 at 18:00

http://www.dtac.co.th/device/step-iphone5.html

AIS may be targeting with SMS, email, maybe serenade customers only?

http://www.ais.co.th/iphone5/

Not sure about the True event, maybe at the Siam Square Shop? I think pre-orders can be made as of 16:00 today, but maybe some problems?

http://www3.truecorp.co.th/iphone/landing.html

http://www.weloveshopping.com/truemove/iphone5/event/prebooking_step1

Does anyone know what the best/quickest way to get one in Chiang Mai will be? I've been to the True Move shop to pre-book but all they did was add my name to a list of a bout 10 people and tell me they will give me a call 'soon'. I asked if they wanted a deposit like the website form but they said that was only for BKK and Chiang Mai will get the first batch a 'few days after BKK', and they will give me a call then.

Shall I just wait until they call or try pre-book online. Or will I have a better chance at Dtac or AIS?

Has anyone in Chiang Mai managed to get one confirmed for the 2nd November?

Edited by ha55ha

I didn't complete the form on truemove-h because I can't proceed with existing plan. If you choose to buy without package plan discount, it was 24.400 or 24.500 baht for 16 gigs which is 1500 baht or so expensive than applestore pricing.

And now I can't pre-book online because all reserved slots are full or something. Pathetic.

Like I said before limited supply. I am TRUELY surprised True has decided to release their extreamly limited supply. Other carriers most likely are in the same boat, so I'm told, but with cash flow all but at a stand stil, folks waiting for the new phone, I guess at the last minute True with Apple's permission decided to release the few hundred thay have in stock. It will be late December before demand will ease or so I'm told.

I did hear that the Samsung 3 S Mini in large quanties will go on sale here in one or two weeks. I think this is the reason Apple gave the go ahead to sucker folks into ordering and waiting for their iPhone 5. Only problem is carriers are scared of consumer back lash if they have to wait weeks after dropping down 5000 or closer to 6000 Baht deposits and not seeing delivery. I have the Mini thanks to my son who carried one in from Europe and it makes the new iPhone look sad indeed. And it's a lot cheaper! An A I S rep all but demanded that I sell it to her when I got a SIM for it.

The fact you even compare it to the iPhone 5 is quite funny. Chunkier in all ways, screen resolution that was decent a couple of years ago, slower processor, no LTE and only a 5mb camera. Enjoy your budget smartphone anyway

Yea I guess that's why Apple is putting the chief developer of IOS 6 out to pasture, (fired). Guess that's why Samsung sells two Galexy 3's to each iPhone 5. Guess that's why Apple stock has lost over $95.00 a share in the USA. No longer can Apple package a dog turd in an Apple box and expect it to sell.

Yea I guess that's why Apple is putting the chief developer of IOS 6 out to pasture, (fired). Guess that's why Samsung sells two Galexy 3's to each iPhone 5. Guess that's why Apple stock has lost over $95.00 a share in the USA. No longer can Apple package a dog turd in an Apple box and expect it to sell.

Are you high my friend? Nowhere in the world (except south korea perhaps) Samsung Galaxy 3 is selling more than iPhone 5. You interpret everything wrong when you become fandroid. Samsung sold two times more smartphones, from budged phones to high end phones, than Apple. Remember, Apple has 3 iphone models, samsung has maybe 30+ ranging from $100 to $699.

If you think $100-$130 usd Android phone will deliver smartphone experience (well, whatsapp will work fine!) then go with it.

Just a quick update. It seems that the English pre-order page on AIS opened about five minutes after the Thai page. Couldn't use the Thai page as you needed a Thai ID number pre-registered, and of course I had pre-registered with my passport number. English page opened at about 0905. I entered my order, clicked to the next page to specify my pickup time which was at Central Lad Phrao over Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, clicked to the next page and got "Sorry, all pre-orders are now sold out". That was at about 9:08.

So, all iPhone 5s sold out online at AIS in eight minutes. I wonder how many of those will end up at MBK?

If it was not for Apple's "turd in a box", Samsung would still be selling flip phones with cute Hello Kitty style user interfaces.

As Apple have not released any sales numbers for iPhone5, we would be very interested in seeing a link referencing your 'fact' that "Samsung sells two Galexy [sic] 3's to each iPhone 5"

Just a quick update. It seems that the English pre-order page on AIS opened about five minutes after the Thai page. Couldn't use the Thai page as you needed a Thai ID number pre-registered, and of course I had pre-registered with my passport number. English page opened at about 0905. I entered my order, clicked to the next page to specify my pickup time which was at Central Lad Phrao over Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, clicked to the next page and got "Sorry, all pre-orders are now sold out". That was at about 9:08.

So, all iPhone 5s sold out online at AIS in eight minutes. I wonder how many of those will end up at MBK?

Truemove also out of stock. But it was available yesterday as I bought mine. You should have picked Truemove-H over AIS (get it while you can, why risk it?).

Besides, AIS 3G sucks bigtime. Although they can make it work maybe next year after brand new shiny 3G license.

Edited by muratremix

Truemove also out of stock. But it was available yesterday as I bought mine. You should have picked Truemove-H over AIS (get it while you can, why risk it?).

Besides, AIS 3G sucks bigtime. Although they can make it work maybe next year after brand new shiny 3G license.

I definitely agree with you that AIS 3G sucks. I can't tell you how many times I have zero bandwidth and could not even check my email. At the airport, forget it...I can't remember the last time my AIS 3G worked there. On arrival, there is no 3G, so I have to wait until I leave the airport and get a few KMs down the motorway, and then I may have enough bandwidth to check email! AIS are just completely overload with their 3G services in Bangkok, and if you are looking for a carrier, I would strongly recommend against them if you need a data connection. That said, I have found AIS 3G to be quite good in Chiang Mai.

The reason I tried to order an iPhone 5 from AIS is that I am already a Serenade platinum customer and I thought maybe that would help me in the queue, as it did with the iPhone 4s when they had preferential pre-orders to their best customers (e.g.. Serenade Platinum). Wrong I was, as AIS definitely have no such preference this time round.

So, in order to come back to the subject, anyone knows the price for an unlocked iPhone 5 at DTAC and AIS?

I thought the thread was on subject in discussing availability of iPhone 5.

For prices, refer to Polanskiman's post above for prices. As is always the case with iPhones in Thailand, all carriers sell unlocked iPhones at the same price. But it doesn't really matter at the moment, since all pre-orcders are gone, and it will apparently be sometime in early December before more are made available.

So, in order to come back to the subject, anyone knows the price for an unlocked iPhone 5 at DTAC and AIS?

I thought the thread was on subject in discussing availability of iPhone 5.

For prices, refer to Polanskiman's post above for prices. As is always the case with iPhones in Thailand, all carriers sell unlocked iPhones at the same price. But it doesn't really matter at the moment, since all pre-orcders are gone, and it will apparently be sometime in early December before more are made available.

1. Exactly, the thread is about iPhone 5 but it's starting to go beyond that.

2. Polanskiman is me, I posted the TRUE prices. I am asking for the DTAC and AIS ones. If anyone could pre-order through AIS and DTAC please let us know what the prices were as they were not made public.

Edited by Polanskiman

AIS pricing: โดยล่าสุด วันที่ 30 ตุลาคม 2555 เวลา 9.00 น. ทาง AIS ได้เปิดให้ผู้ที่มีสิทธิ์จอง iPhone 5 ได้เข้ามาจองเครื่องผ่านทางหน้าเว็บไซต์ โดยราคา iPhone 5 พร้อมแพ็กเกจรายเดือนนั้นมีดังนี้ iPhone 5 รุ่น 16GB สีดำ/ขาว ราคา 23,900 บาท iPhone 5 รุ่น 32GB สีดำ/ขาว ราคา 27,500 บาท iPhone 5 รุ่น 64GB สีดำ/ขาว ราคา 30,900 บาทhttp://www.iphoneapp...-ais-23900.html

post-9615-0-85860900-1351584838_thumb.jp

Edited by lomatopo

bubba,

My experience this morning was virtually identical to yours. At 0910, after getting the "sold out" indication on the website, I called the AIS number and they said all phones were sold out and I should go to the AIS shop in Chiang Mai, where I live, on Nov 5 and the phones would be there to purchase.

I then went down to the AIS shop in Chiang Mai and told the AIS lady what had happened. She said that she herself had logged on to the Thai language part of the site to order a phone, and it said the iPhone 5 was sold out, this after entering her Thai ID number. There are no special deals for AIS employees, she said, so that is why she used the website. She also said she was unaware of when the 5 would be available in her shop. We ended the conversation with her taking my mobile number and saying she would call me if she learned anything.

The whole thing is a clusterf*** IMHO and I doubt if they had more than a few phones, if any, available for order today. TIT.

Edited by mesquite

I bought a white 64gig iPhone5 (from HK) at Bangkok MBK grey market and luv it!!!....transferring all of my iPhone 4S data (and apps) via the iCloud ...yes I paid a US$100 premium over the official True/DTAC prices above, but believe my time (and sanity) is well worth it to avoid the circus

The seller cut my True micro sim into a tiny nano sim size (with a stapler-shaped device) in about 15 seconds...he also threw in a free screen protector, but I bought my own iPhone5 case (Baht200) at a different shop ....

by the way I do like the lightning connector much better than the old system (and much better than those frustrating micro USBs that I use with my Samsung Galaxy Note2 )..the lightning connector also works either way in the slot (which is a minor tweak, but a major practical improvement)

the only thing is that I will have to buy lots of lightning adaptors for my various digital clocks, speakers, etc. (in different rooms and homes)...an annoyance but the cost of tech progress..

my iPod Nano 7th generation (for the gym) also has a lightning connector cable which is great for an extra set...

now if I can only get my hands on an ipad Mini (to replace my work Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7), I will be set until next year

• Like 1

Trajan,

How the heck did you managed to buy only $100 premium at mbk?

Maybe they wanted to get rid of their stock at some loss due to official sales in Thailand?

AOBMobile still have these prices

เครื่อง Official Unlocked (สีดำ , สีขาว)

16GB= 32,500 , 32,000

32GB= 36,500 , 35,500

64GB= 39,000 , 39,000

So if you managed to buy it for 33000 thb, well done then!

Trajan,

How the heck did you managed to buy only $100 premium at mbk?

Maybe they wanted to get rid of their stock at some loss due to official sales in Thailand?

AOBMobile still have these prices

เครื่อง Official Unlocked (สีดำ , สีขาว)

16GB= 32,500 , 32,000

32GB= 36,500 , 35,500

64GB= 39,000 , 39,000

So if you managed to buy it for 33000 thb, well done then!

I bought a white 64GB iPhone 5 (from HK) for Baht35,000 at MBK...which I understand is about B3000 (roughly US$100) above the True/DTAC price (without contract).... have I been mistaken? (I'm not quite sure where you get "33,000 thb" from?)

Edited by trajan