Ever Had Problems With Wire Transfers Here?

I sent my wife a bank wire about 10 days ago. It still hasn't arrived in her Bangkok Bank account. It was confirmed sent so I know it's stuck somewhere(stolen?). They will have to do a trace wire now.

Have you had problems like this? They usually get deposited in about 1 day.

I haven't had a wire problem sending money to Thailand, but I've had it happen sending it to China. If your bank inputs anything incorrectly the money will get sent back to you. It takes about two weeks in the States to get your money returned. If you sent the money from a bank, the guy helping you put the information in a computer and gave you a printout to check. Later in the day the bank manager retypes the information into the wire transfer computer. With the crazy Thai names and addresses either of them could have made a small mistake. Call the bank and have them connect you to the right person to track down your money. They have a person whose job that is.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect App

If you are sure the money is gone from your account Get hold of BKK head office, international transfers come through the head offices and sometimes end up in a "holding account" and not put in the persons account..happened to me a few years ago ...it hasnt been stolen but "misplaced"

Go to your bank...try to find someone smart there (that is the most difficult step), than ask them what happened.

They will be able to shoot a message with the transfer.

Than you'll get some silly message back...most probably that it is on hold because of some mismatch in the spelling of the name or some similar nonsense. Than they enter the correction in the system and 2 days later everything is OK.

IF you can find someone who knows how to use that system....

Between norway banks and Bank of Bangkok have never had any problems, normal TT inside 24 hours and sms on my phone when money is in account.speedy transfer about 1 hour. This is exept weekends when transfers stop. There must be something wrong somewhere call the bank. Goodluck.

Always seems to be a problem of some sort. They may have gotten the account number wrong for a start. Banks here do not seen interested-'no item'+ blank look is the usual response. Normally get the mrs to go into the bank, they give her the phone to bank HQ and she sorts it, local staff are all pretty unhelpful.

Edited by sms747

Always seems to be a problem of some sort. They may have gotten the account number wrong for a start. Banks here do not seen interested-'no item'+ blank look is the usual response. Normally get the mrs to go into the bank, they give her the phone to bank HQ and she sorts it, local staff are all pretty unhelpful.

Looks like this is going to be a major pain in the *ssangry.png . My wife spoke to them about it and all they would say is "not hab". Didn't even ask any information about the transfer. We have this long wire ID number that my sending bank gave us. They never even asked about that. The money was confirmed sent to her exact account by my sending bank so I know it went to the right account. It's all a bunch of b.s. I have no idea how long it will take to get in contact with somebody intelligent at the bank. Could take months.

Looks like this is going to be a major pain in the *ssangry.png . My wife spoke to them about it and all they would say is "not hab". Didn't even ask any information about the transfer. We have this long wire ID number that my sending bank gave us. They never even asked about that. The money was confirmed sent to her exact account by my sending bank so I know it went to the right account. It's all a bunch of b.s. I have no idea how long it will take to get in contact with somebody intelligent at the bank. Could take months.

Has she talked to BKK head office or the branch ?....if the branch..no good....need to talk directly to BKK along with your reference number

Yes, I wouldn't talk to her branch anymore. Contact the head office. There may be a name mismatch or something along those lines....that is, the name put on the transfer does not exactly match the name on the account. See this Bangkok Bank Link regarding inbound transfers.

I've used SWIFT/ACH transfers many times over the years with Bangkok Bank....never a problem. Heck, even wired over over $200K one time when buying our Bangkok home. Well, there was one time when I had a U.S. pension payment going directly to Bangkok Bank and one month it didn't show-up/post on time. I got a letter from Bangkok Bank head office on Silom saying I had to come in a setup a Direct Deposit account to continue to receive the U.S. pension deposit...it was a U.S. law requirement....I setup the direct deposit account...they released to the new account the one payment that was on hold....and flow-on monthly payments arrived no problem. But I only used that method for about 6 months before shifting to just an occassional use of SWIFT/ACH transfers and instead getting all my day-to-day living money via use of a couple U.S. "no foreign transaction fee" Visa debit cards...no fees at all...an exchange rate equal to or better than the TT Buying Rate used by Thai banks for wire transfers....plus, money immediately in hand versus waiting for it to show-up via wire transfer.

We asked about the transfer at Bangkok and they told us the bank acct. # was missing a 0. That's impossible as my sending bank sent it to the right account. Clearly somebody along the way misspelled it. Incredible that somebody could be so careless about such a thing as a bank transfer. Imagine sending a million baht and having this crap happen.

What can I do? Is it lost forever or will I get it back somehow?

We asked about the transfer at Bangkok and they told us the bank acct. # was missing a 0. That's impossible as my sending bank sent it to the right account. Clearly somebody along the way misspelled it. Incredible that somebody could be so careless about such a thing as a bank transfer. Imagine sending a million baht and having this crap happen.

You have all your transfer details ?....ie the Swift reference number etc, so if money has left your account, and has arrived in BKK, then this can be traced...you havent lost the money, it is there somewhere for them to make a statement the Acc # is missing then they must be aware of the transaction....you need to speak to a senior staff member to sort out, suspect you may be getting ther run around by one of the minnions.

quite conceiviably, if the money has turned up at BKK bank wrong account # and they have "returned to sender" ie your own bank...so have you checked your own bank to see if there has been a bounce back....

So check with own bank to check there is nothing with them, if confirmed it was sent to BKK, then they need to sort this out...

I went through all this frustration and heard the similar comments from the Thai bank, in the end my bank in Singpore got involved and they figured out what had happened, my bank manager in Singapore at conclusion of a this made the comment to me along the lines of are all banks in Thailand this incompentant, they dont know their business ?

In conclusion...you havent lost the money, someone at the bank needs to pull their heads out their ar*e and get it sorted out

Edited by Soutpeel

when its sorted dont expect an appoligy,i went to my branch of bkk.bank to get my yearly statement for immigration,they put it in a nice envelope,100bht please,off i went to do my extension,cant do said the officer not your acc.somebody else's.so a taxi ride to the nearest branch 1.5hrs later plus a cost of 200bht for a new statement and extra 400bht for taxi.went to my branch to complain ohhhhh said the manageress he was new,now i check every detail.

Then the bank did receive the money, there was an error related to the transfer (regardless of who really caused the error)...and it has either been sent back or awaiting further instructions from the sending bank.

Seems you are leaving some details out. What else did you ask the bank? Like something along the lines of "what do you do now to get the money placed in the intended account/clear up the error?

I used wire transfers at the beginning then I read on this forum(I love this forum)about a PayPal method of sending money much cheaper. I have my pension checks directly deposited into my USA bank and I have a PayPal account associated with that bank in the USA. When I moved to Bangkok I opened another PayPal account here, you just have to get another email account and I associated it with my Bangkok Bank account. For instance the USA email is a gmail account and the Thai one is a Yahoo account. I then make the payments from Me in the USA to Me in Thailand, slick as hell. The trick to saving all the money is to request only and always an E Check and not a money transfer. It takes a little longer (a few days to clear in the USA and a few to transfer from PayPal to my Thai Bank) but I can send any amount for $5 US compared to like $80 for a wire transfer. The money goes into my Thai PayPal account and I simply have it transfered into my Bangkok bank for free. This is really slick and a big money saver for me. I send larger sums just once in a while and not each pension check. I would however request a $5 USA donation to me for anyone that uses and benifits from this email and it can be paid in beers on sukhumvit soi2 through soi30 here is wonderful Bangkok. Life is good and retirement is better.

• Like 1

In cases like this you should contact the sending bank not the receiving bank. There are international standardized procedures to clear things up but the sending bank has to initiate this. In general 'the public' tend to contact the receiving bank what seems logical as this is the bank you now deal with, you are done with the sending bank. But you are not. Don't know about the policy of the receiving bank but with Thai bureaucracy in mind I can imagine they are waiting for an official correction of the account number in writing from the sending bank in order to release funds. Contact the sending bank. It helps that you already found out these details about the missing 0.

• Like 1

Tranfers from Canadian Banks are pathetic. My local TD Bank tells me they will change their International Bank Draft Transfer System drastically in 2013. They are 50 years behind other International Banking Systems. Sometimes it takes 30 days before one can actually cash a Canadian Bank Transfer. I can not send money from my Cdn Bank Acct to my Thai Kasi Korn Acct; but can do so the other way around. But the Cdn Bank won't allow Direct deposit either way. Supposedly, I will be able to do so in 2013. About time. I won't get into the cost of Cdn Cell Phone Rates vs. Thai Mobile Rates.