Poorly Skilled Drivers And The Law: Thailand

webfact

Never before have so many words been written about nothing!!!!

This story just wasted 5 minutes of my life - using the toilet would have been far more worthy than reading this drivel - with 3 minutes left over to find something useful to do!!!!

......please, do not be so negative ! whistling.gif This article gives an opportunity for understanding more about Thai society. I admit my ignorance about who Pattanadesh Asasappakij is (given that, according to him, many people ask for his opinions he must be someone well considered). This is the kind of guy who goes out blaming the nail if its hammer hits the finger insteadsick.gif and probably a lackustre example of long foresight opinionist whose horizons cannot go beyond the tip of his nose cheesy.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This bad driving will not stop until the police start to do their job. I have yet to see any driver stopped for speeding and every day i see drivers go through red lights in sattahip. Also I understand that the police are afraid of the navy here. I think that the police do not understand how much money can be made by ticketing offenders of the traffic law

• Like 1

In a few words, DRIVERS TRAINING! drivers training! and drivers training! the auto manufacturere has nothing to do with idiots buying cars! no where in the world does a government require a manufacturer to "test" the buyer" BUT most every where in the world, you are required to take a drivers test, and attend drivers training!

wioll this be done in Thailand? not in my lifetime!

I'm with Nangrong here I think the big fault is with those at the top who know better but are too indolent to set policy.

However.....I never fail to be amazed when (every day) people pull out of side turnings or parked positions into main streams of traffic without even beginning to look......in fact almost daring anything to be driving on the road they just entered. Even. When they manage to stop it's with a screech or nearly falling into the ditch on their left as if it was ridiculous and incomprehensible that a car should actually be driving along the "main" road.

This is not about a sophisticated measure of intelligence which could be inaccurate with this sample group. It is about the most basic prediction-for-safety judgement which one would expect a moron to do well with.

This story just wasted 5 minutes of my life - using the toilet would have been far more worthy than reading this drivel - with 3 minutes left over to find something useful to do!!!!

......please, do not be so negative ! whistling.gif This article gives an opportunity for understanding more about Thai society. I admit my ignorance about who Pattanadesh Asasappakij is (given that, according to him, many people ask for his opinions he must be someone well considered). This is the kind of guy who goes out blaming the nail if its hammer hits the finger insteadsick.gif and probably a lackustre example of long foresight opinionist whose horizons cannot go beyond the tip of his nose cheesy.gif

I take your point!!!

I have just re-read it and think it deserves to be put alongside some of Shakespear's finest works - I think his analysis is spot on and he has just propelled himself to being a world authority on such subjects as 'the affects of technology on The Thai driving experience' and 'blame Thai road rage on modern ABS braking systems' with this masterpiece of an article!!!

From now on I will seek a more positive outlook on life!!!

Thank you for your advice.wai.gif

• Like 1

"Poorly skilled drivers and the law"

(Pattanadesh Asasappakij)

As long as you can buy your driving licence with hardly having to spend an hour for 'driving instructions' accidents will happen all the time. Have you seen many Thai drivers who can steer a car properly round a corner? In narrow sois without pavements pedestrians are in constant danger of being hit by cars using the whole width of the road when turning into such a soi. For the same lack of driving skills many drivers cut the corners in right bends when driving on a country road and you can see plenty of cars coming along on your side of the road, whether they have a clear view of the road ahead or not. I wouldn't be surprised if driving instructors do the same.

There is a very enlightening profile in the unmentionable other English newspaper. I wish I could quote from it. But suffice to say, some of the things the guy says about himself and his history puts everything he writes in perspective!

Oyvey! This is the stuff Thai automotive experts are made of???

cheesy.gif

• Like 1

After more than 2 years, driving 40.000 km on Thailand's roads in my SUV, I have no bad experiences at all. Of course one has to drive defensive, especially when it comes to kids on motorbikes, but in general I find the Thai car drivers relaxed and polite. Got stopped some 10 times in checkpoints, got fined once for speeding, never got hassled for bribes or tea money. I just returned from a 3 week road trip through Malaysia, obviously the toll roads there are much better than any road in Thailand, except the toll roads in Bangkok. Most Malaysian drivers are more relaxed than Thai, but I found that there is category in Malaysia that drives like maniacs, speeding, tail-gating, ignoring each and every rule in the book. Hardly ever see such crazy mofo's in Thailand.

Most Malaysian drivers are more relaxed than Thai, but I found that there is category in Malaysia that drives like maniacs, speeding, tail-gating, ignoring each and every rule in the book. Hardly ever see such crazy mofo's in Thailand.

Driving in Malaysia is far safer than in Thailand. The stats don't lie.

The infrastructure is better and the drivers are far better mannered. Laws are enforced better, there is less corruption and miscreant drivers are usually punished.

Even after 10 minutes in Malaysia (nowhere near the Thai border) and this was obvious.

I once asked about 12 Thai employees of a company in Chiang Mai (who all come to work by driving a motorcycle) who actually had a driving license. Turned out none of them had one......

I would guess that the majority of people who drive a motorcycle in Chiang Mai do not have a license and am afraid that the numbers for people driving a car might not be that much better.....

As one who has been actively involved in road safety for over 23 years and has experience of 38 countries I can tell you it is easy to point the finger at the driver. However, someone trained that driver and even more relevant, someone tested that driver and deemed the driver to be safe and competent!

standard and knowledge of driving is far superior to them!

I can appreciate what you're saying, but you are also making the assumption that all drivers here went to driving school, which is just not the case,especially when it comes to motorcycles. Outside of Bangkok, a very significant number of riders don't even have a license.

No Kalbo, that's because most of them are under age, and given the keys by stupid parents, and I am often slagged off on TV because I refer to Thailand as TIT, Land of Stupidity. Anybody still want to tell me I'm wrong?
  • Like 1

My step-son is 13 and wants a motorbike. I said no as it's the law and in any case he's not mature enough. One of our neighbours said...oh just let him he will be ok, our son is 13 and ok. So I said it's against the law, he said nobody bothers. So I said I understand now, we can choose the laws we want to break! I might just smack your son next time he cuts me up then....nobody will bother!

• Like 1

So, according to the article, the deplorable standard of driving in Thailand is due to the manufacturers having to sell their vehicles to maintain business. Nothing to do with the laughable driving test, almost non-existent enforcement of licensing laws and the use of overloaded & poorly-loaded vehicles, dangerously "maintained" vehicles then. Certainly nothing to do with police or government here.

Proper testing & licensing would reduce the opportunities for manufacturers to "sell vehicles to inexperienced and less capable people". Proper vehicle identification would make drivers less likely to think they could "get away with it" because their vehicle has no registration plates - it should be a case of "no number plates - no use of the vehicle". Enforcement of lane discipline so that vehicle - especially buses - are encouraged to return to left-hand lane after overtaking. I'm sure we've all followed a bus for km after km with it stuck in the RHS lane with no intention of moving over for faster traffic. Even something as basic as mirrors cause a problem here - bike mirrors are for looking at anything other than the road behind you - or even removed entirely (to reduce drag?? smile.png) - so I'd guess many car mirrors are similarly poorly adjusted and useless. If I can see a driver's eyes in his mirrors, he can see me - sadly, I frequently can't see his eyes.

Returning to UK to drive on holiday is an absolute pleasure compared to here. Those resident in UK say driving lacks courtesy there. If only they could experience the Thai standards of driving courtesy. My wife agrees with me that driving in UK is much less hassle than here - although she's only ever been a passenger there, she's noticed how people are usually polite & cooperative on UK roads. I can drive there for 6 hours and feel fresh as a daisy at the end of it - an hour's drive here has me foaming at the mouth.

I would say the majority of car drivers, about nine out of ten in Scotland, are very ignorant, not necessary dangerous, but ignorant, they drive in bus lanes, do not allow buses to pull out when given a signal in plenty of time, park in bus laybys. I was a HGV and PSV driver for years, and I know bus drivers are no angels, neither was I, but I knew how to deal with ignorant car drivers without risking an accident.

I take your point!!!

I have just re-read it and think it deserves to be put alongside some of Shakespear's finest works - I think his analysis is spot on and he has just propelled himself to being a world authority on such subjects as 'the affects of technology on The Thai driving experience' and 'blame Thai road rage on modern ABS braking systems' with this masterpiece of an article!!!

From now on I will seek a more positive outlook on life!!!

Thank you for your advice.wai.gif

you are welcome wai.gif and please DO NOT forget to put Pattanadesh Asasappakij on your bookmarks: one day you might regret missing his "widely-acclaimed-first-class-sought-opinions". Please ThaiVisa, make all efforts to keep all of us naive farangsblink.png and incompetent car makers enlightened by the quotes of this world class opinionist .... please excuse my ignorance once again but does anyone know what is this guy doing in real life ?

After more than 2 years, driving 40.000 km on Thailand's roads in my SUV, I have no bad experiences at all. Of course one has to drive defensive, especially when it comes to kids on motorbikes, but in general I find the Thai car drivers relaxed and polite. Got stopped some 10 times in checkpoints, got fined once for speeding, never got hassled for bribes or tea money. I just returned from a 3 week road trip through Malaysia, obviously the toll roads there are much better than any road in Thailand, except the toll roads in Bangkok. Most Malaysian drivers are more relaxed than Thai, but I found that there is category in Malaysia that drives like maniacs, speeding, tail-gating, ignoring each and every rule in the book. Hardly ever see such crazy mofo's in Thailand.

I've done 90,000km in Thailand over the last seven years and you must be driving with your eyes closed - no offence intended, every traffic law I am aware of has been broken multiple times every time I go on the road, western traffic police would have a field day here

Actually, a German traffic cop would probably have a complete mental breakdown after 10 minutes. tongue.png

• Like 1

I think every person who doesn't have a driving license and doesn't have any experiences of driving cars needs to go on a driving school and with skilled and high-experienced instructors like we do in the UK.

Then they need to do a one hour test on the roads and motorways before being excepted as a driver!!!

This would stop all bad driving and some life's.

Incredible. One must have to be damned relaxed to view Thai driving behaviors as relaxed and polite.

• Like 1

Come to PAtong, you will change your mind!

• Like 1

My wife, Thai lady no car license so therefore DOES NOT drive on the road, replied to me <deleted> is this teerak?? Yes she does drive, currently in a training centre/course and she drives our car around Tesco car park late at night! No danger of hitting anything & not illegal - I hope :)

In Chiang Mai the motor vehicle branch has a small test trac out the back. The tester never gets in the car he insructs the driver to turn left or right, stop on a small hih etc, all from outside the car. When asked, the tester stated that there would be no road test because it was far to dangerous! My wife passed the written test and failed the practical test, I asked her if she had to write again, she replied that no, she could take the practical up to seven times for one written test. Incidentally, she went to a driving school here for 3 months and I don't let her drive.

40,000 KM in 2 years and not any bad experiences? That's a relative term and what I would class is a bad experience seem vastly different to you! I find that incredible! Is your driving licence in Braille?

I have been driving here for 6 years, and I weight my experiences relative to the people on the road. Loads of this people are older and un-educated people from rural areas. Even so, you see fewer cars here with dents compared to eg. France, Italy or Turkey. I have driven the country north to south, east to west. I have never been involved in any accidents. I spent 10 minutes in Paris, France, and was involved in a chain collision. I couldn't believe myself how it could happen. Breaking distance doesn’t seem to be in the part of the vocabulary over there. Here, they are indeed tail-gating a lot, but they are also very aware of the traffic situation, and in rare cases they actually bump into each other. In general, I’m quite happy with the traffic culture, but of course I see the need for better traffic education as the traffic is constantly growing..