Poorly Skilled Drivers And The Law: Thailand

webfact

Nisa there was a road safety audit done September 2011 (I will try and get hold of it). It was done in Thailand by Thais with the help of the uk. All world road safety audits are based upon the uk method.

The link here provides a good insight as to what I've been stating but the key points listed here and that were mention in the audit last year is the lack of credible information from Thailand. The audit could only achieve so much as the information was limited as Thailand accepts this. It's not just the 30 day rule which is standard and not Thailand's lack of compliance but in simple terms it's not possible to adhere to it when there is a serious lack of information. It's not about Thailand refusing to accept it, it's about the WHO requesting evidence and that's not forthcoming. And that's not just restricted to RTA's. Under-reporting is the biggest problem.

I assisted in a case two years ago when an Australian claimed on his insurance when he was knocked over by a Taxi. All seemed well until the insurer was told there was no evidence or records of the said accident despite the police taking details and him spending 4 days in hospital.

The non-compliance is not a deliberate and willful act it's more like incompetence. Add to that the very low level training in accident investigation that the police get.

http://tinyurl.com/c75syn9

Here is a link of road fatalities over the years that was published by Thailand a number of years ago which clearly states the numbers include deaths happening 30-days of an accident. The number also are the same WHO has published and which WHO also states deaths are counted from 30-days of the accident.

http://www.grspasia....df/Thailand.pdf

Again, I am simply asking you for links to what you stated in terms of WHO doesn't recognize Thailand's Road fatalities numbers and that deaths in Thialand are only recorded if died at the scene and that road safety is getting worse in Thailand. If you want to debate other issues that is great but lets at least accept these points you made are not factual as I believe I have provided ample links showing you this while I have yet to see one from you backing up your claims.

IF things are moving in the right direction it has NOTHING to do with driving standards, OR law enforcement. The main reason being technology-Disc brakes -tyres-(motor bikes). Other vehicles impact absorbing materials, seat belts-air bags.

I can see no evidence from whatever source that the trend is due to this -that or the other. It has to be still Tuition-testing-strict law enforcement.( that does not mean more road blocks by the police) most of this is for money-greed. The biggest example of this is when stopped with no crash hat, paid your fine you are allowed to ride off. When stopped again 1 kilomtre away with still no hat ,you show them the ticket from the previous check and they wave you on. If we rely on stats it is giving us what we see in these posts. true figures of deaths and these can differ so we argue about different stat sources till we all end up in KELLY'S AR*OLE.

LETS HAVE A FEW MORE honest opinions from ground level-experiences, and then make up your mind if things are improving. Difficult to comment if you are NOT a driver, as you have no way of knowing if the trend of driving standards are improving or not.

You certainly are entitled to your doom and gloom attitude but disc breaks have been around a long time as have seatbelts and good tires as well as motorcycle helmets and antilock brakes but the fact remains that roads have gotten better, enforcement of laws has increased and helmet use and seatbelt use has increased. I am really not going to go through the process again of debating with somebody who is not going to back up their claims with facts but if you don't see any proof to the contrary of the facts I have stated then I simply suggest you look up the info.

But hey, if the only way you can admit the obvious of Thailand's road deaths going down over the years, despite more drivers and cars, is by putting down Thais, then so be it ... at least you are taking steps towards reality.

Edited by Nisa

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is both sad and absolutely ridiculous the lengths some people will go to make themselves feel superior or for whatever reason put down an entire group of people or country. I certainly have never come close to saying Thailand doesn't need to continue to improve road safety but it is beyond comprehension to argue that things have not already been improving for years.

Is it not enough to comprehend that Thailand is less developed and poorer nation than western countries and that of course it is not going to rate as well as many of these nations when it comes to quality of police and safety issues? Obviously for some it clearly is not as they need to convince themselves, despite all evidence to the contrary, that Thailand is a country stuck in some rut and not improving be it economically, quality of life or even a simple thing like road safety.

Edited by Nisa

Could i ask whereabouts in Thailand you live Nisa ?.

I am impressed by your optimism however nothing over the years has changed or is changing.

We can all look at statistics or google for and against sites. The reality is when you see accidents practically every day and see nothing being done then that is all the evidence I need.

The reality is that the number of road fatalities continues to trend down in Thailand as it has done for many years right along with the number of deaths per population and the ever increasing number of vehicles and people driving. This is fact that you can complain, be pessimistic or even say things are not improving fast enough but the unmistakable reality is that things are improving and in my opinion improving at realistic rate.

So,your statement that nothing is changing is in fact incorrect.

Edit: I live in Bangkok and have for years. It is where near 50% of all accident in Thailand occur but I would never be so naive to believe that my eyes alone can give me an idea of .number of road fatalities in Thailand and if they are going up or down throughout the years.

http://ajtpweb.org/s...nsport-thailand

This link gives actual numbers recorded by the Thai police. Note there are less injurires and deaths in 2010 than 2011, yet the traffic accidents decline.

This to me sounds like a case either a different or incorrect way of collecting data.

So I am right and you are wrong.

I have no idea what you are asking if you are right or wrong about but clearly you have just shown another link that shows road deaths continue to trend down and your numbers are also showing accidents are going down too. For some years they were going up (2000 to 2004) but my guess is that had more to do with reporting being up as more people have insurance and need to make reports.

First you need to not the big "P" next to 2011 which doesn't have an explanation as far as I can see but would bet it means the numbers have not been verified or completed. Secondly it shows a clear trend year over year of number of injuries & deaths going down. The period this covers shows a decline in number of accidents too over this period. There is no country that doesn't see a spike in accidents or deaths on some given years and this is why one needs to look at trends. I also have to point out that I have no idea if the number of injuries and deaths on this page is actually titled properly (note the page is not from Thai Police, but the page author says his numbers are from Thai Police) because each figure has a decimal point. How does one give a total of injured and dead using fractions of numbers? Also, if you look at the number of deaths (minus the decimals) for the years WHO has reported, they match what WHO has put out and has stated were deaths within 30-days.

I will give you another link from the same site without a "P" as you are dubious.

http://ajtpweb.org/statistics/Thailand/template2011/road-transport-thailand-2011

You will see there were 1737 more deaths in 2011 compared to 2010 with the data being collected by the Royal Thai police. This has numbers of deaths without fractions or decimals.

Please read the link if you question the sites integrity.

http://ajtpweb.org/about-ajtp/about-ajtp

If you can find another link to disprove the figures then I will back down, a jump of 1737 deaths is a huge increase. Hardly just a spike.

• Like 1

The reality is that the number of road fatalities continues to trend down in Thailand as it has done for many years right along with the number of deaths per population and the ever increasing number of vehicles and people driving. This is fact that you can complain, be pessimistic or even say things are not improving fast enough but the unmistakable reality is that things are improving and in my opinion improving at realistic rate.

So,your statement that nothing is changing is in fact incorrect.

Edit: I live in Bangkok and have for years. It is where near 50% of all accident in Thailand occur but I would never be so naive to believe that my eyes alone can give me an idea of .number of road fatalities in Thailand and if they are going up or down throughout the years.

http://ajtpweb.org/s...nsport-thailand

This link gives actual numbers recorded by the Thai police. Note there are less injurires and deaths in 2010 than 2011, yet the traffic accidents decline.

This to me sounds like a case either a different or incorrect way of collecting data.

So I am right and you are wrong.

I have no idea what you are asking if you are right or wrong about but clearly you have just shown another link that shows road deaths continue to trend down and your numbers are also showing accidents are going down too. For some years they were going up (2000 to 2004) but my guess is that had more to do with reporting being up as more people have insurance and need to make reports.

First you need to not the big "P" next to 2011 which doesn't have an explanation as far as I can see but would bet it means the numbers have not been verified or completed. Secondly it shows a clear trend year over year of number of injuries & deaths going down. The period this covers shows a decline in number of accidents too over this period. There is no country that doesn't see a spike in accidents or deaths on some given years and this is why one needs to look at trends.

I will give you another link from the same site without a "P" as you are dubious.

http://ajtpweb.org/s...t-thailand-2011

You will see there were 1737 more deaths in 2011 compared to 2010 with the data being collected by the Royal Thai police. This has numbers of deaths without fractions or decimals.

Please read the link if you question the sites integrity.

http://ajtpweb.org/a...ajtp/about-ajtp

If you can find another link to disprove the figures then I will back down, a jump of 1737 deaths is a huge increase. Hardly just a spike.

You stated and I quote with added bold:

"I am impressed by your optimism however
nothing over the years has changed
or is changing. We can all look at statistics or google for and against sites. The reality is when you see accidents practically every day and see
nothing being done then
that is all the evidence I need
"

I am confused because the above quote is what you are defending but you show a link with data indicating accidents have gone down each each year in Thailand from 2004 through 2011 while in those years there is 1 year where fatalities went up. You figures actually show a drop of 4561 deaths per year from 2004 compared to 2001 and the number of injuries going down 72,248 during this same time. And your claim it isn't a spike in numbers going up from 2010 to 2011 but did you even bother to see that numbers dropped a huge 3,249 in 2010? So, even with the 1,737 more, the numbers have still gone down 1,512 over the 2-year period and again have gone down 4,561 for the entire time period you are linking. Don't you think it odd to focus in on a single year that is an aberration from all the rest, especially when it is because of the HUGE drop in deaths the previous year?

From 1997 through 2010, the USA saw road fatalities go up 6 years while Thailand only saw them go up 2 times during this same period. Since you say Thailand is doing nothing does this mean the USA is actually taking steps to increase road fatalities because you refuse to see an overall trend of deaths dropping over these same period in the US?

Again, nobody is saying Thailand doesn't have a road safety issue that needs continuing improving but to make claims things are not improving or that nothing being done is beyond the realm of reality and leaves me very skeptical of somebody's motives for pushing such obvious untruths.

If this is going to be another instance where I keep repeating myself showing facts to dispute claims only to have the facts ignored? If so, then lets just drop this now.

Edited by Nisa

Nisa.

Again you compare Thailand with America, you're very boring. I stated in an earlier post (which you chose to ignore) that when I see accidents happen and see nothing being done that is all the evidence I need.

I decided to check your links as I see nothing being done and was quite surprised by the statistics. Upon investigation there is a huge increase in road accidents in 2011 which you choose to ignore.

My personal view is the statistics may not be accurate as I have no hidden agenda. I would love to wear your rose tinted spectacles but Thailand's road safety is terrible and these figures look massaged.

Police where I live have skeleton staff at weekends, people don't wear helmets, people drink drive, people jump lights etc etc. This is fact as I see it all the time it maybe not so obvious to you in Bangkok though.

It is beyond me as to what you actually see being done about road safety that is vastly improving these statistics ?

Do you work for TAT ?

• Like 1

It is both sad and absolutely ridiculous the lengths some people will go to make themselves feel superior or for whatever reason put down an entire group of people or country. I certainly have never come close to saying Thailand doesn't need to continue to improve road safety but it is beyond comprehension to argue that things have not already been improving for years.

Is it not enough to comprehend that Thailand is less developed and poorer nation than western countries and that of course it is not going to rate as well as many of these nations when it comes to quality of police and safety issues? Obviously for some it clearly is not as they need to convince themselves, despite all evidence to the contrary, that Thailand is a country stuck in some rut and not improving be it economically, quality of life or even a simple thing like road safety.

Nisa for gods sake, living here maybe twice as long as you, and loving it--and liking a good percent of Thais, I do more promotion of Thai than you..---sports- schools- local government events-travel- and I am NOT putting this to boast. FACT. rambling on about me being negative towards Thailand is just stupid, maybe to make you look good with your posts,but I do not think it does. I comment on what it is like driving, what road manners are here, carnage I see.

Look at my previous post on the number 2 highway--it has deteriorated over the years. it is dangerous to drive on 630 kilometers of concentration of the surface, must add to the overall driving distraction. I told you I love it here and have lived in 6 Jangwats, but you try to tell others through your posts I am anti Thai---RUBBISH---give an honest side not just stats only. by the way do you drive ??? just wondered ??

• Like 1

Nisa.

Again you compare Thailand with America, you're very boring. I stated in an earlier post (which you chose to ignore) that when I see accidents happen and see nothing being done that is all the evidence I need.

I decided to check your links as I see nothing being done and was quite surprised by the statistics. Upon investigation there is a huge increase in road accidents in 2011 which you choose to ignore.

My personal view is the statistics may not be accurate as I have no hidden agenda. I would love to wear your rose tinted spectacles but Thailand's road safety is terrible and these figures look massaged.

Police where I live have skeleton staff at weekends, people don't wear helmets, people drink drive, people jump lights etc etc. This is fact as I see it all the time it maybe not so obvious to you in Bangkok though.

It is beyond me as to what you actually see being done about road safety that is vastly improving these statistics ?

Do you work for TAT ?

What links is that? The only stats I recall seeing from 2011 is from the link which you provided that show each year accidents have gone down each and every year from 2004 thru 2011. Again, this was your link at http://ajtpweb.org/statistics/Thailand/template2011/road-transport-thailand-2011

As for accidents with injuries you once again are looking at things through a very bizzare lens. The link you provided shows Accidents with Injuries went down every single year except in 2011. As with deaths, did you happen to notice a HUGE drop the previous year? In this case, it shows accidents dropped from 61,996 in 2009 to 18,190 in 2010 (44,000 decrease). Clearly this is a mistake in your linked page or the heading of the figures is not accurate (as I mentioned before) or they have recalculated what they are measuring. But I notice you are not harping on the near 44,000 fewer Accidents with Injuries but instead are only focusing on 3,700 they went up after going down 44,000 the previous year. Again this is from your link and data which I have not seen anywhere else. I tend to find that numbers like these from even first world nations take years to report accurately and any figures for 2011 are likely preliminary (as I mentioned before).

Again, the point remains you have provided a link which shows a significant trend in number of Accidents, Injuries and Deaths reductions over the years. This of course counters your claim, " nothing over the years has changed or is changing" and of "nothing being done".

Edited by Nisa

Nisa for gods sake, living here maybe twice as long as you, and loving it--and liking a good percent of Thais, I do more promotion of Thai than you..---sports- schools- local government events-travel- and I am NOT putting this to boast. FACT. rambling on about me being negative towards Thailand is just stupid, maybe to make you look good with your posts,but I do not think it does. I comment on what it is like driving, what road manners are here, carnage I see.

Look at my previous post on the number 2 highway--it has deteriorated over the years. it is dangerous to drive on 630 kilometers of concentration of the surface, must add to the overall driving distraction. I told you I love it here and have lived in 6 Jangwats, but you try to tell others through your posts I am anti Thai---RUBBISH---give an honest side not just stats only. by the way do you drive ??? just wondered ??

I think you are a bit confused and protesting a bit too much. I didn't mention your name in the above post. I didn't quote any post you made when responding and didn't in anyway shape or form personally address my post to you. However, if what I said applies to you then so be it. If it doesn't then am not sure why you are getting your panties all in a bunch to the point of needing to defend yourself against something nobody personally accused you of and something you appear to be saying isn't true about you.

Edit: As for trying to look good? This is the first time anyone has ever accused me of that on this forum. smile.png

Edited by Nisa

Nisa.

Do you work for TAT ?

What links is that? The only stats I recall seeing from 2011 is from the link which you provided that show each year accidents have gone down each and every year from 2004 thru 2011. Again, this was your link at http://ajtpweb.org/statistics/Thailand/template2011/road-transport-thailand-2011

As for accidents with injuries you once again are looking at things through a very bizzare lens. The link you provided shows Accidents with Injuries went down every single year except in 2011. As with deaths, did you happen to notice a HUGE drop the previous year? In this case, it shows accidents dropped from 61,996 in 2009 to 18,190 in 2010 (44,000 decrease). Clearly this is a mistake in your linked page or the heading of the figures is not accurate (as I mentioned before) or they have recalculated what they are measuring. But I notice you are not harping on the near 44,000 fewer Accidents with Injuries but instead are only focusing on 3,700 they went up after going down 44,000 the previous year. Again this is from your link and data which I have not seen anywhere else. I tend to find that numbers like these from even first world nations take years to report accurately and any figures for 2011 are likely preliminary (as I mentioned before).

Again, the point remains you have provided a link which shows a significant trend in number of Accidents, Injuries and Deaths reductions over the years. This of course counters your claim, " nothing over the years has changed or is changing" and of "nothing being done".

OK Nisa I should take your facts as true and ignore the ASEAN Japanese transportation centre and the Royal Thai police statistics. I said my observation was nothing is being done, why do you have a problem with reading posts?.

You clearly have an issue with interpreting posts, I do apologize if you are not from an English speaking county.

You should really find some Thai friends to explain how dangerous Thailand's roads are and how they are improving. This may help you to understand Thailand.

You clearly have a great deal to learn.

Again apologies for your misunderstanding as English may not be your first language :)

Good night.

I think you are a bit confused and protesting a bit too much. I didn't mention your name in the above post. I didn't quote any post you made when responding and didn't in anyway shape or form personally address my post to you. However, if what I said applies to you then so be it. If it doesn't then am not sure why you are getting your panties all in a bunch to the point of needing to defend yourself against something nobody personally accused you of and something you appear to be saying isn't true about you.

Edit: As for trying to look good? This is the first time anyone has ever accused me of that on this forum. smile.png

Trying--to look good I said Nisa. and again quit the denial about your passed record of adding me to YOUR doom and gloom list, I get pigged off by your personal comments, and get drawn in too much by them. as i have said before YOU are among the 5% who will not hear anything against anything that does not praise Thailand. quoting your stats on near all topics you pick out that they can be used----no problem really BUT---yawn. Believe me I would not get my knickers in a twist arguing the toss around stats or anything else. only do not class me with your doom and gloom posters. doom and gloom you have to understand can mean the same as a critic of CERTAIN happenings/laws or distorted figures given out.

Press your point but try not to slam non believers of your posts. why not choose more varied theads, rather than your limited ones. have a nice day

Biggest load of rubbish that I have read this year.. and I have read a lot of rubbish !!

Surely if the cars are fitted with all the latest safety features & aids to the driver then the number of accidents should be dropping?

Cars DO NOT cause accidents, it has been & always will be the person behind the wheel making the decisions.

Yes I agree sometimes pure accidents do happen.. but rarely!!

It doesn't matter what the drivers budget is, or even if the car is a brand new model off the showroom floor or a second hand model a few years old.

What matters most is that the driver has taken enough driving lessons with a qualified instructor, has studied & understands the highway driving code.

That they understand all the roadside signs, the road surface signs, the traffic signals etc.

Also when they have reached a suitable level of daytime driving ability they are taken out for night time instruction.

Also skills like road side parking or reversing properly.

All these skills should be attained during a properly supervised training period, then a strict test of driving skills, a written test, & a verbal test taken to ensure they have the ability to take a vehicle onto the road.

Then the person would have the ability to drive not only a shiny new car but an old banger too!!

It appears that in some regions if you can turn the key & start the car and know how to move forward then you are qualified, unfortunately these skills don't keep you alive for very long!!

T.I.T

Completely agree! A car (or even a motorbike) is a powerful machine with great destructive potential. Drivers should be required to respect this potential and to know how to control it.

I regret to say, but the OP exemplifies the pervasive and dangerous tendency of the people in this part of the world to say or do anything in order to avoid simple personal responsibility for one's actions.

Why would the number of accidents drop? If the cars are safer, the number of fatalities might reduce but the accidents (or rather incidents and collisions) are pretty much just the same.

No matter what you do or say about driving in Thailand there will be NO significant change until there is a national program of road and traffic engineering.

Edited by cowslip
  • Like 1

Back in Europe they realised decades ago that drivers are basically stupid and the only way to reduce deaths, casualties etc is to keep them apart from each other and reduce the amount of time they spend driving at each other on the same piece of asphalt.

dual carriageways with armco are the best solution, but also junctions you can't go the wrong way in, road signs that are symbols and clearly displayed, roads with defined edges and places wide enough for immobilised vehicles to get out of the traffic. Lighting - both on the roads and the cars.......traffic that is compatible with the majority of other traffic and prolonged government information campaigns on how to drive......actually I could go one, but I think you get the idea.........

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Let's speak clearly and frankly. There are the trappings of rules of the road. There are lines painted dividing lanes. But there is no lane. You can drive in "your" lane, on the painted line, in the oncoming lane, even in the oncoming lane with oncoming traffic if you so desire. A simple toot of your horn is all that's necessary to claim the right of way.

The pecking order is basically the same as in the natural world of nature: biggest to smallest. Trucks are king. You better just get the heck out of the way. Then pickup trucks, then cars. Motorbikes are treated as a nuisance without a right to be on the roadway with real vehicles. You will be cut off, side-swiped, pulled out in front of, crowded out of your lane, and if the bigger vehicle chooses, driven at, head on, so they can pass a vehicle that is going too slow for their liking. Bicycles and pedestrians, go out at your own risk.

Vehicles of all sizes and types drive the wrong way on one way streets, the wrong way on divided highways, stop wherever they please, back up on high speed highways, u-turn across all lanes from the far left lane ---- basically, they do anything they please. Stop sign? Hahahaha! Stop light? Means pause. Turning left into traffic is done without ever even glancing to the right first. Speed? "Today I feel slow." "Today I feel fast." "Today I DID feel slow, but you were going TOO slow, so now I will put my foot through the floor on the accelerator pedal and cut you off in the process!"

Yes, I am very very prejudiced about Thai drivers and law enforcement. In 2011, I was in a motorbike accident and almost died. I was cut off by a tandem trailer gravel truck that made an illegal u-turn from the far left lane on a 4 lane high speed highway. The driver also did not signal his turn. The criminal proceeding in the case determined that the driver was wrong and gave him 1 year in jail. However, the judge also decided that, even though my speed was estimated at 50kmh, and the normal traffic speed was 70kmh, I was partially to blame because I was going too fast. I was fined 1000baht. I now have permanent disabilities as the result of this accident and cannot work my business in America any longer. I may receive some money in the civil case, but the company that owns the truck is a large, well funded company, so I may not receive even 1 baht. I will not be able to pursue the case until the driver's appeal is complete, perhaps in a year or two.

Conclusion: BE VERY CAREFUL IF YOU ARE GOING TO DRIVE. And if you, as a foreigner, are found to be the wrong party in an accident, hold onto your wallet and bank account,,,,,,,,,,,,

13000dead....every year...could be you tomorrow.

Where are the radars?

Even Thai people have no clue about maximum speed in town....

it's probably a lot higher number because if someone gets killed in the countryside and don't get processed thru the hospital system then they are not counted.

If someone is killed in the village they don't call the police because they are corrupt and looking for payouts etc. They just take them to the local cremation ceremony place. Hospitals and morgue's cost money.

No idea how to measure those deaths accurately but it's likely quite a lot more.

The title sentence should be; "Poorly skilled and unintelligent drivers, and the equally unintelligent corrupt police officers, who are supposed to enforce the law, create the perfect storm we call, "driving in Thailand".

Might be a bit of sentence run on, but you get the point, if you are not Thai.... Next...coffee1.gif

Biggest load of rubbish that I have read this year.. and I have read a lot of rubbish !!

Surely if the cars are fitted with all the latest safety features & aids to the driver then the number of accidents should be dropping?

Cars DO NOT cause accidents, it has been & always will be the person behind the wheel making the decisions.

Yes I agree sometimes pure accidents do happen.. but rarely!!

It doesn't matter what the drivers budget is, or even if the car is a brand new model off the showroom floor or a second hand model a few years old.

What matters most is that the driver has taken enough driving lessons with a qualified instructor, has studied & understands the highway driving code.

That they understand all the roadside signs, the road surface signs, the traffic signals etc.

Also when they have reached a suitable level of daytime driving ability they are taken out for night time instruction.

Also skills like road side parking or reversing properly.

All these skills should be attained during a properly supervised training period, then a strict test of driving skills, a written test, & a verbal test taken to ensure they have the ability to take a vehicle onto the road.

Then the person would have the ability to drive not only a shiny new car but an old banger too!!

It appears that in some regions if you can turn the key & start the car and know how to move forward then you are qualified, unfortunately these skills don't keep you alive for very long!!

T.I.T

they have driving instructors in Thailand?, could have fooled me, I thought they just played mario brothers on gameboy.

• 10 months later...

does any body know if there is right of way in the absence of lights ,traffic signs .......

I didn't find nothing on internet.

Most countries it is the vehicle comming from the right has priority to the vehicle comming from the left.

Is it also like this in Thailand?(since many crossroads have no signs.)

If you know : plz send me <snip>

email address removed, please send message if you wish to respond, or better still post on forum.

Edited by theoldgit
email removed.