Poorly Skilled Drivers And The Law: Thailand

webfact

Just watch all the innovative ways Thai drivers will find to negotiate a Tjunction. In front, behind 2 deep, bikes left, bikes right. Now the few roundabouts you find are always a laugh.

And my personal favorite is the idiots who drive into jammed traffic on large box intersections blocking the road for the next bunch who get a green light. A true sign of the low consideration for others on the road.

It really is amazing the statistics are as good as they are.

• Like 1

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surprised that no-one's mentioned the " medical " certificate required to obtain a licence . 100 bt from the nearest clinic ....provided you're capable of walking up to the counter to pay for it !

Blind or otherwise severely impaired folk are allowed to obtain said form by proxy !

hehehe Thai drivers again, I lived in New Mexico for 40 years we have had the highest DUI death rate of any state for years. Why people are peole they will take chances, break the law and do what ever because they think they can get away with. It doesn't matter the levelof testing and training, Its all about if I think I can get away with it.

there is no "Driving Test" and the closest comes to a fake gas and brake pedal to test reaction/reflex .. no aiming or steering. wink.png

Wrong again, there is a practical driver's test in an actual motor vehicle. I had to do it.

Sorry, I was thinking about foreigners with a recognized drivers license who don't need to take a driving test.

which world re you living in? yes they DO but it's rubbish of course

there is no "Driving Test" and the closest comes to a fake gas and brake pedal to test reaction/reflex .. no aiming or steering. wink.png

Wrong again, there is a practical driver's test in an actual motor vehicle. I had to do it.

Sorry, I was thinking about foreigners with a recognized drivers license who don't need to take a driving test.

which world re you living in? yes they DO but it's rubbish of course

Actually there is no "Driving" Test for foreigners with a valid license already from their home country ... if they used to or are supposed to do it that is another thing but have never once heard of it being done or requested in recent memory..

Actually there is no "Driving" Test for foreigners with a valid license already from their home country ... if they used to or are supposed to do it that is another thing but have never once heard of it being done or requested in recent memory..

What if the person who is holding the license comes from a country which doesn't have a treaty with the Thai government that let's the foreigner drive on that countries license?

I think the worst city with respect to driving with only breaks and horns is Mexico City. The cops there actually have to climb the traffic signal

poles just to keep being hit.

Breaks and Horns; mostly horns thoughcoffee1.gifgiggle.gif

555... probably to see over the smoke from the buses too....one thing I noticed on the highway between Mexico and Acapulco was the high link fencing on both sides of the highway through villages etc...would be a bloody good idea here for villages, markets,schools etc etc.

Wife just told me about an out of control 10 wheel truck plowing through one of those wake/parties that often encroach on half the road or even a major highway.

Lots of places in the world where driving is atrocious but it is accepted and most drive assuming or knowing the other guy will do something stupid ie very defensive driving by default. Something most of us do here methinks.

The difference here seems to be the total lack of awareness and initiative as regards cause and effect....a driving in a bubble not my problem attitude.

Sadly even extensive effective driver training may not remedy this methinks.Although it may just help the ability to steer...lol

Asked the wife once... what was the meaning of all those types of yellow lines down the middle of the road...

The SIL has just got her license sans tea money....asked me what I was doing when I adjusted the outside mirrors. She had one of those cosmetic roo bars installed..( and of course 6 nodding flowers on the dash and hello kitty wheel cover) I asked why.I "so I not break headlights when I have accident" .....WHEN!?clap2.gif

Can't remember which country but having been done for driving infractions a few times too many times I was required to retake the mandatory defensive driving course. I was always getting done for speeding in my little green GPO Morris Minor van in the UK so maybe it was there?whistling.gif

What if the person who is holding the license comes from a country which doesn't have a treaty with the Thai government that let's the foreigner drive on that countries license?

No such thing. International license or Thai license only

you're wrong - I have a valid licence and still had to go through the joke test here for my Thai licence

No such thing ?

Nisa is saying there is no driving test for foreigners holding a license from their home country. Thailand will let you drive on a say UK or USA license, but if someone holds a license from a country that doesn't have a treaty with Thailand to allow them to drive, then they are not allowed to drive. The then have to take a test.

No such thing ?

Nisa is saying there is no driving test for foreigners holding a license from their home country. Thailand will let you drive on a say UK or USA license, but if someone holds a license from a country that doesn't have a treaty with Thailand to allow them to drive, then they are not allowed to drive. The then have to take a test.

Please stop ..... some people are in a coma and other have been blinded but they still have a drivers license but I am guessing they would have trouble getting a Thai Driver's License. Why in the world are you trying to make this difficult. The bottom line (for those not wishing to be anal or ridiculous) You DO NOT need to take dam_n driving portion of the test to get a Thai Drivers License if you already hold a license from another country. Are there exceptions, probably but that is the basic gist. It is like somebody freaking saying it is a sunny day and then telling them they are wrong because it is not sunny in some parts of the world or it is not sunny under the tree you are standing. Yes, there may be exceptions and there is other requirements but once final time .... You DO NOT need to take dam_n driving portion of the test to get a Thai Drivers License if you already hold a license from another country.

Calm down Nisa.

I am stating facts, this country doesn't revolve around just your home country. Although I think you believe it does.

Okay, I will play the game since your motive is to inform. Please tell us all the countries this wouldn't apply. (Hint, see international driving permit)

And then we'' ignore the fact that it also wouldn't to some individuals from the other countries from everything due to certain medical conditions to the type of visa they are on.

Edited by Nisa

Calm down Nisa.

I am stating facts, this country doesn't revolve around just your home country. Although I think you believe it does.

Okay, I will play the game since your motive is to inform. Please tell us all the countries this wouldn't apply. (Hint, see international driving permit)

And then we'' ignore the fact that it also wouldn't to some individuals from the other countries from everything due to certain medical conditions to the type of visa they are on.

I am in no position to coment on all foreigners who want Thai driving licences. I have both car/m.cycle. the car TEST was for reaction-braking.....eye test for colour......that was all, and it qualified for both licence I.D. cards. I already had for50 years a U.K. licence. producing that before applying.

No such thing ?

There are as far as i know no agreements. International license our Thai. Unless they have something with the bordering countries, a farang can have an international or Thai license or their insurance will not pay out for accidents.

There is a cursory test for longer term stayers, but don't expect a western license to make you legal should you have a ding, as my boss found out to his considerable expense after a small ding that ruptured someone s spleen. 600k.

There are as far as i know no agreements. International license our Thai. Unless they have something with the bordering countries, a farang can have an international or Thai license or their insurance will not pay out for accidents.

There is a cursory test for longer term stayers, but don't expect a western license to make you legal should you have a ding, as my boss found out to his considerable expense after a small ding that ruptured someone s spleen. 600k.

Don't quote me on this but I think if you are in the country after 90-days then either the license or insurance or both become invalid for driving here. Forget the exact issue and time frame but there is a legal reason why a long term resident needs a Thai license.

Don't quote me on this but I think if you are in the country after 90-days then either the license or insurance or both become invalid for driving here. Forget the exact issue and time frame but there is a legal reason why a long term resident needs a Thai license.

A tourist should still rent a car with an international license not their national license. Insurance has the right not to pay.

A tourist should still rent a car with an international license not their national license. Insurance has the right not to pay.

I have never had an international DL but isn;t it basically just a translation document and not valid on a stand alone basis (need to show it with your real DL) as they are not issued by any government? I know many people in the US just get them from their AAA office but at the same time I know Thailand talks about needing to have one s if it is a legal document / ID.. Just seems a bit confusing to me --- especially since I have never even seen one.

Edited by Nisa

I have never had an international DL but isn;t it basically just a translation document and not valid on a stand alone basis (need to show it with your real DL) as they are not issued by any government? I know many people in the US just get them from their AAA office but at the same time I know Thailand talks about needing to have one s if it is a legal document / ID.. Just seems a bit confusing to me --- especially since I have never even seen one.

Well ordinarily, you can't get an international without s valid domestic license. It stands alone as valid for 12 months. it's very arbitrary, but the insurer has every right to refuse say a USA, EU, or other western license.

Bring an international for renting vehicles on holiday, if you stay, get a Thai license, it's easy.

International D.L. can be obtained at CITY main post offices, recent photos (passport style) an Automobile Association issue enabling persons to drive abroad. Your current licence has to be produced, and passport I.D.

This used to be the way they were obtained in the U.K. ( things may have changed in recent years -not sure) I do not apply as I have British and Thai D.L.

Totally wrong and there is another thread on this. A tourist in Thailand for only a few weeks can legally drive on his home country licence. However if you are long stay then you must get a local licence.

There is no such thing as an "international driving licence" , There is an international driving Permit, which is a translation and MUST be accompanied by the holders home country licence to be legal.

• Like 1

It is indeed a rubbish article. This countries road accident statistics have little to do with car innovation and everything to do with poor or non-existant driver training and weak law enforcement.

I find it incredible that this "expert" would cite hill starting in a manual car as being difficult for drivers. While I am sure that most of all of the posters here would consider themselves good drivers, the reality is that there is always room for improvement. I too considered myself a very good driver until I went through my companys mandatory driver training. At the end of this I considered myself a much better driver, even though I had passed my test first time in UK, Qatar, Singapore and USA. Part of my training was the DriveSMARTT program (yes I work for Schlumberger) and at the end of this, and with commentary drive added I now consider myself a very safe driver. I have tried to pass all this along to my wife, who was initially sceptical until a serious accident which was not her fault changed her mind. I find she now listens to me more when we are driving and I have even 'taught' her the Schlumberger DriveSMARTT program. Now I am constantly bombarded with her critisicms of other Thai drivers on the road, but, She has learned about keeping her distance, checking zones, maintaining visibility, moving her eyes and recognising and responding to other traffic. Half the battle here is trying to anticipate the sheer idiotic manouvers performed by the average driver.

• Like 1

Did Leonardo need to pass an art exam? Newton a physics degree? Shakespeare his English Literature GCSE? No, I think not. Hence, why the Thai driver need not bother him or herself with the demeaning rigour of any kind of official test. Splash the baht and thrash the cart as we say in these parts.

• Like 1

Did Leonardo need to pass an art exam? Newton a physics degree? Shakespeare his English Literature GCSE? No, I think not. Hence, why the Thai driver need not bother him or herself with the demeaning rigour of any kind of official test. Splash the baht and thrash the cart as we say in these parts.

Driving standards in Thailand are utterly appalling mainly due to the fact that there is no standard, any idiot regardless of there negative IQ can get in behind a wheel in Thailand to kill who they like, and as for the law enforcement on the highway the police have no idea what the law is, so how can they uphold the law, if it isn’t cash that can be put in the policeman’s pocket why should he care.

• Like 2

Totally wrong and there is another thread on this. A tourist in Thailand for only a few weeks can legally drive on his home country licence. However if you are long stay then you must get a local licence.

There is no such thing as an "international driving licence" , There is an international driving Permit, which is a translation and MUST be accompanied by the holders home country licence to be legal.

Read what I wrote.

Indeed most agencies will gladly accept your domestic home license, but try and make a claim on your insurance if you gave a serious accident.

When i say international license or permit, i mean exactly what you say, in that it is simply an additional piece to your home license.

My previous company used to rent vehicles here and the company lawyer recommended that those coming over had to obtain international licenses in order to guarantees coverage by insurance.

• Like 1