The Hotbutton Racism Thread

submaniac

whistling.gif Which brings up a point.

There is a like button to hit for those posts you feel are good posts.

But why is there not a dislike button also if you feel that someone writes a bad, offensive, or racist post.

The moderators do get rid of the really bad posts...that's fine.

But if the "like" button is acceptable.....why not a "dislike" button also?

rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

whistling.gif Which brings up a point.

There is a like button to hit for those posts you feel are good posts.

But why is there not a dislike button also if you feel that someone writes a bad, offensive, or racist post.

The moderators do get rid of the really bad posts...that's fine.

But if the "like" button is acceptable.....why not a "dislike" button also?

rolleyes.gif

We once had the ability to vote up or down but it was horribly abused.

You mean like REDDIT up and down vote?

Beetle juice - great ad hominem (not really) maybe change your user to.include fanboy or polyanna? SHEEEEEESH!

Yes, I live here and in fact my ugly racist self just wed a poor Thai waif - whatever shall she do?

Edited by bangkokburning

@submaniac

I can see your issue, people should'nt generalise so much, regardles of how unmotivated Thai people are and how limited thier education is it does'nt mean every single Thai man or woman is like thick or lazy. You maybe just included yourself in the generalisation. ease up.

For many of these people though, the word 'immigrant' or migrant is a dirty word, so they prefer to use the word 'expat' as if somehow that makes them different (queue the 54 predictably boring retorts of how the visa only says 'non-immigrant on front).

But it is the immigrant experience they are getting - warts and all with a fish sauce flavour.

I would like to be an immigrant, but they won't let me. Yep, they've written it in my passport too.

Immigrant experience would be looking forward to citizenship and passport. Nope, no hopes of that.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

For many of these people though, the word 'immigrant' or migrant is a dirty word, so they prefer to use the word 'expat' as if somehow that makes them different (queue the 54 predictably boring retorts of how the visa only says 'non-immigrant on front).

But it is the immigrant experience they are getting - warts and all with a fish sauce flavour.

I would like to be an immigrant, but they won't let me. Yep, they've written it in my passport too.

Immigrant experience would be looking forward to citizenship and passport. Nope, no hopes of that.

as I said, predicably boring retort.

Plenty of people have moved on to become bonafide PR's. It isn't hard.

I believe people just vent strongly on a forum. Some are racist, some are not. Who really cares?

It's just an internet forum, there is racist rants all over youtube, but nobody really cares because it's just the internet.

I think some do care when they’re on the receiving end of it.

It`s easy to be in the neutral zone when you’re not the person being singled out as a group that has assumed racial traits or pertains to a religion other than their own. And it is surprising how quickly people begin taking offence when the so-called opinions or muck slinging of others becomes personal to them.

There is simply no excuses for racism, no matter what shape and forms it comes in or where it`s publicised, and has no place in the civilised world.

It is if you're retired and don't have a nice expat package job.

ain't too many countries which take retirees on in the first place, let a lone letting them stay with only $26K stuck in the bank with no other checks (eg police check, bond for medical costs etc). Fewer still offer the path to any form of PR or citizenship. If you can name a country which does this, let me know.

And only a few of the people I know have a cushy expat job. The rest (getting back to the OP's point) figure out how the place works, and basically get on with it. No whingie poo's from them like the dear souls we see on this board.

You're moving the goalpost, though. TP's point is valid and your response to his wasn't. It isn't easy.

I'd find it difficult to wake up next to my Thai partner every morning, seething at the prospect of having to spend another day suffering these fools hour by hour, minute by minute . . . luckily everyone's partner is THE exception - well, at least that's what we tell ourselves . . . if we can actually understand what she's saying because she doesn't speak English and you don't speak Thai.

Glad I got out - expats here have a much healthier attitude towards locals

Edited by Sing_Sling
  • Like 2

ain't too many countries which take retirees on in the first place, let a lone letting them stay with only $26K stuck in the bank with no other checks (eg police check, bond for medical costs etc). Fewer still offer the path to any form of PR or citizenship to people who aren't there in a productive capacity. If you can name a country which does this, let me know.

The UK.

Married to a UK national with 64K (UKP) in the bank and you're a citizen in 2-5 years.

(or a FAMILY income of 18K (UKP) a year, or a combination method.

They don't care where the income comes from as long as it ends up in a UK bank account.

(All the EU countries have smaller financial requirements, the UK has the highest requirements))

Edited by TommoPhysicist

ain't too many countries which take retirees on in the first place, let a lone letting them stay with only $26K stuck in the bank with no other checks (eg police check, bond for medical costs etc). Fewer still offer the path to any form of PR or citizenship to people who aren't there in a productive capacity. If you can name a country which does this, let me know.

The UK.

Married to a UK national with 64K (UKP) in the bank and you're a citizen in 2-5 years.

(All the EU countries have smaller financial requirements, the UK has the highest requirements))

I don't have a problem with families. I think I should make myself clear on that point. Clearly believe there should be a clear and reasonable path for families to PR and citizenship. Thailand is starting to offer that now with citizenship, but it is too heavily weighted towards earnings.

As for bog standard retirees with no other links other than a fat walled, don't necessarily think so that you should allow PR and citizenship to be effectively purchased. And there wouldn't be too many other countries which would either.

As for sling_slings point, I probably did move the goals, so we shold be getting back to the OP's post, to which I 200% agree.

Edited by samran
  • Like 1

The UK.

I don't have a problem with families. I think I should make myself clear on that point. Clearly believe there should be a clear and reasonable path for families to PR and citizenship. Thailand is starting to offer that now with citizenship, but it is too heavily weighted towards earnings.

As for bog standard retirees, don't necessarily think so though. And there wouldn't be too many other countries which would either.

As for sling_slings point, I probably did move the goals, so we shold be getting back to the OP's post, to which I 200% agree.

You asked for one country, I answered with a country (and more).

Is it so hard to say "OK, I was wrong, other countries are easier even if you're retired"

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Seems this topic is the place to be.

Anyone, and I mean anyone that gets offended by someone using a generalisation that they belong to is a moron. Generalisations are just GENERAL observations and are by no means individual specific. If the op or anyone on here can't grasp that concept then the future of our evolution is at risk.

I really hate racism, but I equally hate morons using the race card when it is not worthy.

Example.

A company not employing someone because of their colour. Racism.

Saying 'I have only met 2 good Thai people'. Not racism, personal experience.

Maybe the farangs on here are becoming racist due the the abundance of racism in Thailand.

Seems this topic is the place to be.

Anyone, and I mean anyone that gets offended by someone using a generalisation that they belong to is a moron. Generalisations are just GENERAL observations and are by no means individual specific. If the op or anyone on here can't grasp that concept then the future of our evolution is at risk.

I really hate racism, but I equally hate morons using the race card when it is not worthy.

Example.

Maybe the farangs on here are becoming racist due the the abundance of racism in Thailand.

Example.

No need to be a genius to work that one out.

Unless you`ve only met two Thai people in your whole life and they were considered good, otherwise your meaning is that the majority are bad. That`s racism.

No. It`s something that`s always been in them and have imported over here. People don`t suddenly become racist over night or once they land in Bangkok.

Edited by Beetlejuice

Just remember this.

All Thai people = some Thai people

Most Thai people = Some Thai's I know

A lot of people generalize, and when you are pissed off with something, the above happens.

I am sure foreigners in all countries generalize about the locals. Especially when reading the news.

And only a few of the people I know have a cushy expat job. The rest (getting back to the OP's point) figure out how the place works, and basically get on with it. No whingie poo's from them like the dear souls we see on this board.

I agree Samran, those who are serious DO figure out how it works, and of course, learn to speak/read/write the language. Some of these whingers don't even try. Imagine any other country allowing a retiree in who can't communicate at all in the local language!!!! Coincidentally, all the guys I know in this category are American.

It's lot easier for me to get Thai Citizenship than Australian, for example. However, If I really wanted to live in Oz, I could do it.

• Like 1

The UK.

As for bog standard retirees, don't necessarily think so though. And there wouldn't be too many other countries which would either.

You asked for one country, I answered with a country (and more).

Is it so hard to say "OK, I was wrong, other countries are easier even if you're retired"

as far as I could see, you were talking about spousal visa's which are open to anyone, including retirees. But at the end of the day, it is just a spousal visa.

I was taking about specific retiree visa's which lead to PR and citizenship.

But just to prove myself both wrong and right, here is what the UK currently sort of has.

http://www.ukba.home.../retiredpeople/

But as of 2008, that programme is now closed. So I guess I am increasingly right and you inreasingly wrong as those grandfathered (pun intended) get ILR the category does not remain relevant.

Edited by samran
  • Like 1

Just to make things clear, I'm not racist, I hate you all in equal measure. :-)

Bettlejuice, number 2 is not racist as it is taking people on an individual level one at a time on merit. There is no pre judgement on the next persons character.

I agree Samran, those who are serious DO figure out how it works, and of course, learn to speak/read/write the language. Some of these whingers don't even try. Imagine any other country allowing a retiree in who can't communicate at all in the local language!!!! Coincidentally, all the guys I know in this category are American.

It's lot easier for me to get Thai Citizenship than Australian, for example. However, If I really wanted to live in Oz, I could do it.

What countries require a retiree to be fluent in the local language? You don't like old guys on one thread and this one you bash Americans? We got a bit of a problem with anybody except yourself eh?