Selling A Bicycle In Chiang Mai

Microwave

1 hour ago, orang37 said:

Having been hit-and-runned on my bicycle 12 years ago by a besotted, or yaa baa charged, motorcyclist who crossed over to the wrong side of the road ... leaving me waking up screaming from an out-of-body experience where I floated in the air watching a slow motion movie of a body with a compound spiral fracture of the right leg in progress ... 

The human part of me can't answer your question.

~o:37;

I nearly met into accidents many times when the motorcyclists makes a sudden u-turn on the same side of the road after they spotted a police road block up ahead. They either didn't have helmet on or didn't have a driving licence.

Yes, Thai people disregard traffic rules so it's better to take public transport (20 baht bus) if you are inside the moat and if you can't afford a motorbike/car.

Life is more important than money saved.

Edited by EricTh

15 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Happened to me at Maya traffic lights, Harly (wannabe) roared off from the light and hit me in the back, bicycle and I went over the top, he skidded along the road on his side 50m. I had a banana front wheel and a few bruises (50bht to beat it back into shape), he had blood dripping from his arm and hand where his bike fell on him, and a totally destroyed custom paint job on one half of his bike.

Most Thai don't ride on Harley, they ride Scoopys.

You're lucky to have just a few bruises that time but might not be lucky next time.

On 3/5/2019 at 3:35 PM, tlandtday said:

I personally think cycling is far more dangerous because you are constantly being passed by vehicles and imho every vehicle is a potential accident to hit you from behind as the driver could be possibly drunk, playing on his phone, on yaba or just stupid. 

I found that cycling in CM most of the other vehicles were more considerate than they are in Oz. They are used to dealing with cycles, vendors etc. Tourist on motorbikes and scooters are another story.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

Most Thai don't ride on Harley, they ride Scoopys.

You're lucky to have just a few bruises that time but might not be lucky next time.

Where did I mention a Thai, this was some Nordic biker wannabe that knocked me off.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

Buying a bicycle at any place other than a bicycle shop is a waste of money.  You're going to be getting a cheap bike for a cheap price, but in the long run, you'll pay for it.  Another consideration when buying a bike at the local department store is that you will not have anyone to service your bike when you have problems or questions.  I learned this lesson many years ago when I bought a cheap, but nice-looking, bicycle.  The welding broke on two or three occasions, the brakes were shot in a couple of months and rattles developed within weeks.  I learned that buying cheap crap ain't worth the price.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MrBrad said:

Buying a bicycle at any place other than a bicycle shop is a waste of money.  You're going to be getting a cheap bike for a cheap price, but in the long run, you'll pay for it.  Another consideration when buying a bike at the local department store is that you will not have anyone to service your bike when you have problems or questions.  I learned this lesson many years ago when I bought a cheap, but nice-looking, bicycle.  The welding broke on two or three occasions, the brakes were shot in a couple of months and rattles developed within weeks.  I learned that buying cheap crap ain't worth the price.

They  told me there's a one year warranty if I remember correctly.

Which brand did you buy?

Did you bring back the bike to them?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2019 at 9:54 AM, David74 said:
Hi! My name is David, and I have been travelling in a bicycle through southeast Asia for the last 3 months. I am now in Chiang Mai, because tomorrow evening (05 March) I take a plane back to  Europe, and I will like to sell the bicycle before I leave.

The bicycle is a Orbea MX 29 (frame size 19, wheels 29'), was bought brand new in Hanoi 3 months ago. Here in Thailand, the only place I found it for sale is in Central bike Bangkok (price 26500 Baht). I also include all the extras (rack, pump, tool kit, lubricant, patch kit, lock, helmet) for which I paid 4938 Baht. The frame has a lifetime warranty I didn't register yet, so it will be registered under the new owner's name. The helmet is a expensive one, with cervix protection system.

My asking price is 15000 Baht, which is less than half the overall value (all the extras are included in the offer). 
Time is of the essence, because I have 24 hours to find a buyer, so if you are interested please contact me as soon as possible, here on my email ([email protected]), wasap to my Spanish number (+34647234738), or you can call to my Thai number (0990862903)

I also attach photos taken yesterday of the bicycle.

IMG_20190302_133141151.jpg

IMG_20190302_133203475.jpg

IMG_20190302_133247000.jpg

IMG_20190302_133225405.jpg

Hello! I am sorry for the late reply, I was supposed to be notified by email if somebody answered, and because I wasn't, I assumed nobody wrote anything after my post, so I didn't check it again until now, that I am already in Europe :(. As I read here, yeah, probably a mistake making public that I was in a hurry to sell, I received some cheap offers before leaving, and rejected them, because I finally found a better solution. The nice people from Vida Guesthouse offered me the option of leaving the bike there indefinitely if I were not able to sell it for a reasonable price, and that was what I finally did. So, the bike is still for sale, same asking price (15000 Baht), and same exact offer. If somebody wants to check the bicycle, just go to the guesthouse and ask. For those offering 7000 for it, I am not interested since I am not in a hurry anymore, and in case I am not able to sell it, I have another reason to go back to beautiful Thailand, and keep travelling with it, since I don't contemplate travelling any other way than in a bicycle, and if I sell it, I would need to buy a new one in case I go back. About the colour, I actually kind of like it!, but I guess it is not everybody's taste.

About using a bicycle in Chiang Mai, I didn't found it particularly dangerous, but it is true than I am used to the bicycle as my main transport in a city more or less the same size, here in Spain, where drivers and lanes are not bicycle-friendly at all. If you were to live in Bangkok, Hanoi, or other big city my advise would be very different, driving a bicycle there is almost suicidal. Anyway, If I were to live in Chiang Mai, a bicycle would be a non-brainer, once you get out of the city, you have numerous secondary roads which are very pleasant to ride, with almost no traffic, 95% flat, and mostly stunning, I found Chiang Mai area to be one of the best places for easy biking I have ever been, you just have to avoid downtown, and the main roads, at peak traffic hours. About locking it up, my bycicle slept in the street every night for a total of 2 weeks in 2 different stops in Chiang Mai, a lock for the frame, and that's it, and, for instance, when I stopped in a seven eleven, I didn't even lock it most of the times (not easy to find where to), and had not problem at all, but maybe that's just me being overconfident in Southeast Asia, here in Europe I wouldn't dare to do that, it would be stolen in a minute.

If somebody is interested in the bike, my email is, [email protected]

44 minutes ago, David74 said:

Hello! I am sorry for the late reply, I was supposed to be notified by email if somebody answered, and because I wasn't, I assumed nobody wrote anything after my post, so I didn't check it again until now, that I am already in Europe :(. As I read here, yeah, probably a mistake making public that I was in a hurry to sell, I received some cheap offers before leaving, and rejected them, because I finally found a better solution. The nice people from Vida Guesthouse offered me the option of leaving the bike there indefinitely if I were not able to sell it for a reasonable price, and that was what I finally did. So, the bike is still for sale, same asking price (15000 Baht), and same exact offer. If somebody wants to check the bicycle, just go to the guesthouse and ask. For those offering 7000 for it, I am not interested since I am not in a hurry anymore, and in case I am not able to sell it, I have another reason to go back to beautiful Thailand, and keep travelling with it, since I don't contemplate travelling any other way than in a bicycle, and if I sell it, I would need to buy a new one in case I go back. About the colour, I actually kind of like it!, but I guess it is not everybody's taste.

About using a bicycle in Chiang Mai, I didn't found it particularly dangerous, but it is true than I am used to the bicycle as my main transport in a city more or less the same size, here in Spain, where drivers and lanes are not bicycle-friendly at all. If you were to live in Bangkok, Hanoi, or other big city my advise would be very different, driving a bicycle there is almost suicidal. Anyway, If I were to live in Chiang Mai, a bicycle would be a non-brainer, once you get out of the city, you have numerous secondary roads which are very pleasant to ride, with almost no traffic, 95% flat, and mostly stunning, I found Chiang Mai area to be one of the best places for easy biking I have ever been, you just have to avoid downtown, and the main roads, at peak traffic hours. About locking it up, my bycicle slept in the street every night for a total of 2 weeks in 2 different stops in Chiang Mai, a lock for the frame, and that's it, and, for instance, when I stopped in a seven eleven, I didn't even lock it most of the times (not easy to find where to), and had not problem at all, but maybe that's just me being overconfident in Southeast Asia, here in Europe I wouldn't dare to do that, it would be stolen in a minute.

If somebody is interested in the bike, my email is, [email protected]

Orbea is fine bike and glad you purchased a Spain based company.

I have an Orbea and love it.

On 3/7/2019 at 7:05 PM, BritManToo said:

Turbo is a cheap Chinese make with the cheapest, weakest parts, probably fine for a 60Kg Thai but never seen that happen on a real bicycle.

Trek, Merida, Giant, Bianchi, et al.

Oh for sure,Turbo is a cheap brand. I bought this at Tesco for around 4,500B several years back. But has still hauled my ass effortlessly for 50km+ round-trips.

What I think contributed to the seat bolt snapping is I have the periodic habit of riding with no hands to relieve my elbows and back from holding the forward riding position. Doing this I'm load bearing all my weight (80kgs) directly on the seat.

The new seat bar and rear view mirrors just arrived today,I'll be getting back on the road as soon as the air clears.

When riding a bike, not only your skill matters, but also your equipment. After I almost got seriously injured by the fall, I began to take more interest in protective equipment, I spent a lot of time studying its different types http://bestadviser.net/reviews/mountain-bikes-reviews/top-mountain-bikes-helmets-and-clothing-review/. Yeah, you start worrying about yourself only when you already get into troubles, but it's better late than never.