Do The Aussies Have To Get Any Lower

chuchok

Aussies claiming 'that ball'

29.01.06 1.00pm

First it was sheep jokes.(Although we know they are much more gulty than kiwis) Then it was selective Australian nationality - you know, Russell Crowe is Australian until he biffs a phone and then he's a Kiwi.

Then came calls for New Zealand sperm from our transtasman neighbours after a supposed shortage of donors over there. (You have to up theIQ of Aussie somehow)

Now, they're claiming our underarm ball.

A $10,000 row has broken out - the Beige Brigade in one corner and defensive Australians in the other - over who has the real ball used in the underarm controversy of 25 years ago.

As part of research into the 25th anniversary of this most shocking fallout between neighbours, the Herald on Sunday discovered that one of the two balls used in the controversial one-day international resides in an Auckland bank vault and can be accessed only by fingerprint identification.

But the West Australian Cricket Association Museum has the other ball. Both sides are claiming theirs is the ball that was rolled underarm down the pitch by Australia's Trevor Chappell to innocent Kiwi batsman Brian McKechnie.

The Beige Brigade's ball was first owned by a former CEO of Qantas who then passed it to former New Zealand corporate kingpin Ron Brierley.

He donated it to a Wellington College fundraising auction where it was purchased by a Christchurch man. He recently put it up for sale on TradeMe and it was purchased by the Brigade for $10,000.

One of the umpires of the game (Don "The Weasel" Weser) provided an affidavit proclaiming the Aussie ball to be THE ball. However, the Brigade are disputing this.

- HERALD ON SUNDAY

THE white ball is supposedly in Perth (donated by Don Weser, who is a nice guy, by the way), it's also in Sydney, donated by another good guy, Dick French who was in the old Umpires' Room after the match. The game was on a Sunday and at that time you couln't buy a drink in Melbourne on a Sunday so my mate and I were running an illegal "sly-grog" out of the room. And my mate has the ball...he was given one of the (four) match balls, but swapped it around. And that's the true story, told for the first time.

I don't know where the NZ white ball c#omes from, but don't forget there were four balls used in the match.

29.01.06 1.00pm

First it was sheep jokes.(Although we know they are much more gulty than kiwis) Then it was selective Australian nationality - you know, Russell Crowe is Australian until he biffs a phone and then he's a Kiwi.

Then came calls for New Zealand sperm from our transtasman neighbours after a supposed shortage of donors over there. (You have to up theIQ of Aussie somehow)

A $10,000 row has broken out - the Beige Brigade in one corner and defensive Australians in the other - over who has the real ball used in the underarm controversy of 25 years ago.

As part of research into the 25th anniversary of this most shocking fallout between neighbours, the Herald on Sunday discovered that one of the two balls used in the controversial one-day international resides in an Auckland bank vault and can be accessed only by fingerprint identification.

But the West Australian Cricket Association Museum has the other ball. Both sides are claiming theirs is the ball that was rolled underarm down the pitch by Australia's Trevor Chappell to innocent Kiwi batsman Brian McKechnie.

The Beige Brigade's ball was first owned by a former CEO of Qantas who then passed it to former New Zealand corporate kingpin Ron Brierley.

He donated it to a Wellington College fundraising auction where it was purchased by a Christchurch man. He recently put it up for sale on TradeMe and it was purchased by the Brigade for $10,000.

One of the umpires of the game (Don "The Weasel" Weser) provided an affidavit proclaiming the Aussie ball to be THE ball. However, the Brigade are disputing this.

- HERALD ON SUNDAY

Are you bored mate? :o

THE white ball is supposedly in Perth (donated by Don Weser, who is a nice guy, by the way), it's also in Sydney, donated by another good guy, Dick French who was in the old Umpires' Room after the match. The game was on a Sunday and at that time you couln't buy a drink in Melbourne on a Sunday so my mate and I were running an illegal "sly-grog" out of the room. And my mate has the ball...he was given one of the (four) match balls, but swapped it around. And that's the true story, told for the first time.

I don't know where the NZ white ball c#omes from, but don't forget there were four balls used in the match.

Interesting.

remember the Aluminium bat that Lillie and co tried using? One of the main guys behind it lives in Chiang mai.

Are you bored mate? :o

yep :D

remember the Aluminium bat that Lillie and co tried using? One of the main guys behind it lives in Chiang mai

The only hit or attempted hit that he had with that bat was an attempted hit of Javed Miandad as I recall

I think you are right.

mike brearly the pommie capt. complained about the bat saying that it damaged the ball.

29.01.06 1.00pm

- HERALD ON SUNDAY

Are you bored mate? :D

God ,it's at times like these that I wish the FLY would butt in and cause his usual havoc :o:D

remember the Aluminium bat that Lillie and co tried using? One of the main guys behind it lives in Chiang mai

The only hit or attempted hit that he had with that bat was an attempted hit of Javed Miandad as I recall

I think you are right.

mike brearly the pommie capt. complained about the bat saying that it damaged the ball.

Lillee used the aluminium bat for 4 balls during an ashes test. Brearly whinged about it damaging the ball and the umpires ordered it should not be used. Lillee threw the bat about 40 metres towards the pavillion in a fit of temper. :D

In a completely seperate incident during an Australian v Pakistan game, Lillee and Miandad nearly had a brawl on the pitch. They collided when Miandad was taking a single to Lillees bowling, words were exchanged, Lillee gave the batsman a little kick to the back of the leg. Miandad then raised his bat and seemed about to lay into Lillee with it. Lillee shaped up, but an umpire stepped in between the players. That series was notable for the extremely bad sportsmanship displayed particularly by the Pakis (!) . In one test the non facing Australian player picked up a dead ball and helpfully tossed it to the bowler as he headed back to his mark. The bowler appealed for handling the ball and he was given out. The captain, Miandad, had an oportunity to reverse the appeal but didn't. :D

As far as where the ball from the underarm incident is - who gives a stuff. Australia won the game and the Kiwis have been crying about it ever since. :o

I think you are right.

Lillee used the aluminium bat for 4 balls during an ashes test. Brearly whinged about it damaging the ball and the umpires ordered it should not be used. Lillee threw the bat about 40 metres towards the pavillion in a fit of temper. :D

In a completely seperate incident during an Australian v Pakistan game, Lillee and Miandad nearly had a brawl on the pitch. They collided when Miandad was taking a single to Lillees bowling, words were exchanged, Lillee gave the batsman a little kick to the back of the leg. Miandad then raised his bat and seemed about to lay into Lillee with it. Lillee shaped up, but an umpire stepped in between the players. That series was notable for the extremely bad sportsmanship displayed particularly by the Pakis (!) . In one test the non facing Australian player picked up a dead ball and helpfully tossed it to the bowler as he headed back to his mark. The bowler appealed for handling the ball and he was given out. The captain, Miandad, had an oportunity to reverse the appeal but didn't. :D

As far as where the ball from the underarm incident is - who gives a stuff. Australia won the game and the Kiwis have been crying about it ever since. :o

Yes, you won the game fair and square showing a grand exibition of sportsmanship. :D

Aussies and sportsmanship :D:D Add 'spit the dummy', whinge, and blame all n sundry, into the equation and you're nearer the mark :o:D

A double header!! :D I knew I could get Chuchok with that line, but little Jack came to the party as well! :D

The fishings fine in the far north. :D

Edited by Old Croc

:D

Aussies and sportsmanship :D:D Add 'spit the dummy', whinge, and blame all n sundry, into the equation and you're nearer the mark :o:D

A double header!! :D I knew I could get Chuchok with that line, but little Jack came to the party as well! :D

:burp: Never said a thing :D nignoy

...says Old Croc while foaming at the mouth with hook firmly wedged inside gum. :D:D

<snip>As far as where the ball from the underarm incident is - who gives a stuff. Australia won the game and the Kiwis have been crying about it ever since. :o

At that point in time that was allowed in the rules of the game. Being the right thing or not to do is another matter.

So the Kiwi's are winging, really about some old rule of the game they got suckered by. They were professional cricket players and they should have known the rules.

I do think they have a valid complaint about the unsportsmanlike behavior in that game. It was just another example of the poor an incompetent state of the captaincy of the Australian team at that time.

You would never have seen Waugh, Taylor or Border allowing that sort of thing.