Change Visa After Marriage

Hi, I'm British, 59 and currently on one of these 1 year visas with visa runs every 90 days. I'm planning on marrying my Thai fiancee soon and I was wondering if I can change my visa to married status and thereby saving the visa run every 90 days.

We are planning to go to UK early next year so I will probably have only 1 more visa run to do so I would only want to change visa status if its easy and doesnt cost much.

Thanks in advance.

No visa allows longer stay than 90 days for marriage. Only if you extend for one year would you not have to exit but that requires a lot of documents and financials (Thai bank 400k for 2 months is basic requirement). You can however obtain a 60 day extension of stay from immigration to visit wife after marriage with much less paperwork so with current 90 days that would be a total of 5 months before next exit. If planning to exit Thailand early next year do not believe one year extension process worth the effort.

Only if you extend for one year would you not have to exit but that requires a lot of documents and financials (Thai bank 400k for 2 months is basic requirement).

Alternatively, the OP could apply for a 1-year retirement extension as long as he met the more stringent financial requirements (800k in a Thai bank for 2 months for the initial extension (3 months in subsequent years) or 65k monthly income as confirmed by the British Embassy).

Unless your visa has already expired you can get 90 more days by making a border run just before the visa expires (enter before).

Then get 60 days extension which should take you into next year.

But if you are planning on only making a short trip the UK then the one year extension based upon marriage to a Thai would be best option. You would need to have 400K baht in the bank for 60 days or have income of 40K baht proven by a letter from the embassy.