Passport Number & Flight Booking

Hi

Titled as best I could.

I am currently in Thailand and planning a return(round) trip from here to UK next month.

My passport is nearly full.

When In UK I will apply for a new passport.

I assume this will have a new number, maybe I`m wrong on this, not sure.

So I`ll be flying out( ex BKK) on 1 passport and returning on another.

Will this cause a problem?

Thanks

I think Seasia's worry is more with the implications of e-Borders for carriage. For example, if his name is 'John Smith' or 'Mohammed Ali', what are the implications of turning up for the return flight with a different passport number to the one he used previously? There would be no pre-flight checks for that passport number.

There were also suggestions in the press that people would be refused boarding because of apparent overstay or other issues that would cause them to be refused entry. I don't know how these issues were resolved, if they have been, or if they were real. In Seasia's case, it is not completely impossible (though, I think, highly unlikely) that Thailand might say there is no visa associated with the new passport and no evidence of a return ticket, and therefore instruct the airline to refuse carriage, or alternatively, say that the old passport will have insufficient validity and likewise instruct the refusal of carriage.

• Like 1

Richard W

Yes, it is what you have pointed out in your 1st paragraph that concerns me.

Just boarding the return leg back to Thailand with a different passport number to the one I departed with.

To clarify I will also obtain a new visa whilst in the UK after obtaining the new passport.

So my query is really down to how important is the passport number with regards to the airline.

Thanks again.

...what are the implications of turning up for the return flight with a different passport number to the one he used previously? ...

No implications. If he needs a visa for his flight to Thailand and that visa or re-entry permit is in his old passport, that's when he needs to show also the old passport at check-in.

And if in any doubt think of reporters and other business travelers who often have two or more passports and alternate travel on them (as the extras are used to obtain new visas). There is no problem returning on a different passport that you departed on for anything but land border crossings.

The API (S) Advanced Passenger Information you input on the carrier site...

Do you really have to input this data online for a flight from the UK to Thailand? I've never had to do this for my flights from Switzerland; the last one was early this year.

I think I've found the answer on Wikipedia: necessary only for flights to the USA.

The Advanced Passenger Information System[1] (APIS), also Advance Passenger Information System, is a system established for commercial airline and vessel operators by the United States Customs and Border Protection Agency (CBP).[2]

Source: http://en.wikipedia....ormation_System

I think I've found the answer on Wikipedia: necessary only for flights to the USA.

No - the UK manifestation of APIS is e-borders. The issue of people travelling in and out on different passports is now understood, and the spurious immigrants thereby created are known as 'false migrants'. It looks as though we can discount the Telegraph's scare story about people being denied boarding through being misidentified as overstayers.

For travel to the US, the primary issue seems to be with ESTA. The Wiki entry indicates that is is a dumb system:

Each travel authorization under ESTA can be valid for up to two years. However, a Visa Waiver Program traveler must obtain a new ESTA authorization if he or she is issued a new passport, or changes his or her name, gender or country of citizenship. In addition, a traveler must obtain a new ESTA authorization if any answer to the ESTA application eligibility questions changes.

The Advanced Passenger Information System[1] (APIS), also Advance Passenger Information System, is a system established for commercial airline and vessel operators by the United States Customs and Border Protection Agency (CBP).[2]

Source: http://en.wikipedia....ormation_System

I was trying to be generic in the name and wouldn't you know it I picked the same name as the US system LOL knew it sounded familiar . I believe BMI required the information when you did online check in now since they are BA I don't know, I travel on LH/TK and I know my passport data is in my profile with them.

Technically the data is stored in the PNR when you check in (outbound) and would be stored for the return journey but overridden if a new passport is presented. So no issues at all for the OP.