Gay Republicans

endure

It's only funny if you are willing to ignore that it's bashing gay people because you hate republicans enough to allow yourself to think it's just bashing hypocracy , which is partially true but it's really just singling out an unpopular minority group within the gay community pertending it's ok to bash them because they are in the wrong political party of your choice.

Will you be "entertaining" us with more short films making fun of other gay people like lawyers or closeted football players as well ?

^^

Hmmmm...well to start off, I'm not gay though I support the "cause" towards equality as it were. The reason I say that is because I am not gay, I don't necessarily have the same gut reactions as someone who is gay (so someone who is gay may be offended, and rightfully so, on something that I don't perceive 'cuz I'm not gay).

I am making this post just because I think there is a different cultural perspective that someone who is not familiar with American politics may not understand, and hence understand the full ramifications (i.e. the humor) of the video. It's because the Republicans are the ones (usually) trying to pass the laws which are most repressive to gay people. Like it's the Republicans who are (generally) strongly opposed to gay marriage. Don't get me wrong there are gay Republican groups like the log cabin republicans, but generally the opinion is that the Republicans, umm...don't really help "the cause".

To really "get" the humor you have to understand that history of "gay scandals" in the Republican party. Basically there have been a bunch of news stories in the past where a Republican, who is in favor with the party, has something come out that he is gay. A famous one is Larry Craig, an Idaho senator who was arrested in an airport bathroom for allegedly attempting to solicit gay sex. Once that story came out he was immediately dropped by the party. The scenario usually happens like this: something happens, Republican is found out to be gay or have engaged in gay relationship, the Republican party then dumps the politician or said politician has to step down from office. See this article for more info: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/29/gay-political-scandals-politicians-claims-sexuality-_n_1638201.html#slide=1161641

It also needs to be understood that the religious right wing is generally Republican.

On the other hand, the other major U.S. political party, the Democrats, is deemed to be more in favor of pushing through laws favorable to gays, and have openly gay party members. See this article for more info on gay U.S. politicians: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/29/gay-political-scandals-politicians-claims-sexuality-_n_1638201.html#slide=1161641

Long story short, the Democratic party does not dump you as a politician if you are gay.

So they way I see it, it's not really a bash of gays, so much as it a bash of hypocrisy. In other words, the politicians who are more actively trying to repress gay rights are actually gay themselves.

So a little gay bashing is ok as long as the main bashing is hypocrisy ? And by what measure do you believe that it's gay people within the republican party that are doing this "more active" ? Than the non gay republicans ? That's what the film would like you to believe of course but aside from republican gay bashing what evedence do you have that gay republicans are the "more active" in doing this ....... and does that really make any sence ? and is it really a good excuse to bash a gay minority group because of a few bad apples ?

And let me ask this if you were a Gay closeted Republican who was actually trying to help gay people or just one in general would you call it only anti hypocricy or also anti gay ? Being in the closet doesn't make you a hypocryte by default just because you are a Republican , you would have to speak out and vote in a hypocritical way.

I understand perfectly that the "humor" is based on a few icolated hypocrites while attempting to make it acceptable to bash an entire group of people at the expense of homosexuality in general under the guise that it's all about hypocricy as opposed to making fun of closeted gay people as well with the excuse that its just fine because all closeted Republicans must be hypocrites , which is simply not true.

It is both bashing gay people and hypocricy ....... I fail to see how adding an additional thing to bash makes the part where it bashes gay people any less significant.

If I had an hour long documentary about the moon and 2 min of gay bashing it's still 2 min of gay bashing ....... or anti gay remarks as it's termed here.

I would point out that the film is not about hypocritical closeted gay Republicans , the film is about ANY and ALL Closeted Gay Republicans the hypocricy part is the excuse to make it seem acceptable

In fact I don't believe the film EVER uses the word hypocricy or makes reference to ANYTHING but "closeted gay republicans" the people they are making fun of.

But I guess if the rest of the world thinks making references to "spreading fecal matter on the face" of a certian group of gay people is acceptable humor and not an anti gay slur just because of their political affiliation it's the world i'm in and have to accept it.

Edited by MrRealDeal

Dear sir,

This forum is dedicated to Gay men and women in Thailand. As I am not gay, I do recognize my status as a visitor in someone else's home. Futhermore, I do not know what life is like to live daily as a gay person. Hence I do not think it is my place to dictate to a gay person what a gay person should or should not be offended by. So if you are offended by the video please understand that I am NOT saying to you that you should not be offended. However, I am saying that I do not believe that there was any deliberate purpose to offend you or the sensibilities of other gay people. If you are offended and have an opinion, the purpose of discussion is to explain your view point. So please speak your peace, but also know I am not arguing with you or saying that you should not feel the way you feel.

Actually I was looking foward to whatever you had to say. Simply put the film is mocking , making fun of , ect ........ several things , gay prostitutes , gay republicans , gay sex acts , gay social conservatives , what does all that have in common ? ...... obviously homosexuality. It in my opinion is using homosexuality in a mocking and offensive anti gay way to bash republicans. If not for the making fun of homosexuality in general and using it as the weapon of ridicule the film would not exist obviously.

Thats the part I find anti gay that they are using homsexuality in a way as to mock and ridicule people , I don't find that any more acceptable than using religion or race ect as the tool to mock or ridicule people. I don't want to make an analogy because I don't see it as needed. The point is they are using negetive sterotyping of Gay people to ridicule republicans.

Your opinion is just as valid weather you are gay or not to me, and i'm not offended just because someone else disagrees with me in a rational way like you.

I agree the films intention was not to offend gay people ..... but to use homosexuality as the tool to offend another group , closeted republicans.

It is using homosexuality in a way that not only makes fun of the republicans but of homosexuality in general , it is making fun of one group at the expence of homosexuality ........ unless you think it's not I guess.

I find this an interesting conversation so I hope you tell me what you think. To be honest I would feel a hardcore democrat's opinion would be a lot less valid than a straight persons , even and especially a harcore gay democrat that the film was obviously trageting as part of the audience.

Edited by MrRealDeal

For the record I'm gay and not a US citizen. If you'd spent your life being belittled and vilified by the right wing (in whatever country you live in - and it always is the right wing) you'd understand why I thought the movie funny. If you don't find it funny - up to you.

• Like 2