Dying In Thailand

conquent

I have been to Thailand a few times and was been told I havent got too long to live (Lung Cancer) which is inoperable. I could endure months of chemo and radio therapy but would like to leave this world with a little dignity.

If I was to go to Thailand and end my days there. Where would be the best place to visit and how would I repatriate his body back to the UK for a burial.

Edited by conquent

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear that, conquent, have seen my father die from lung cancer and thus, have an idea what might be in front of you. However, answering your question is difficult, as their is information missing:

What do you want to do in Thailand, are you seeking fun life or lay low in country side or just lay on beach?

What medical attention do you need now and in the future?

Is there anybody in the UK you can trust with the task of repatriating your body or would it be an idea to be burried in Thailand?

Most of all, the question of medical attention is key and you might post that question in the health forum, i.e. about specialized clinics / doctors (once you decided about the are you want to go) or (what my father choose to do) questions about palliative care when you want to omit being in a hospital bed... the health forum might be the best place for that kind of questions.

All the best to you!

Sorry to hear that, conquent, have seen my father die from lung cancer and thus, have an idea what might be in front of you. However, answering your question is difficult, as their is information missing:

What do you want to do in Thailand, are you seeking fun life or lay low in country side or just lay on beach?

What medical attention do you need now and in the future?

Is there anybody in the UK you can trust with the task of repatriating your body or would it be an idea to be burried in Thailand?

Most of all, the question of medical attention is key and you might post that question in the health forum, i.e. about specialized clinics / doctors (once you decided about the are you want to go) or (what my father choose to do) questions about palliative care when you want to omit being in a hospital bed... the health forum might be the best place for that kind of questions.

All the best to you!

I have left it all a little late. I am assured there is no medical treatment that will save my life and that I will not be enjoying a Turkey dinner on Christmas day. I took the decison to return a place where I felt happy. I have no intention of sitting in a hospital any longer. I would rather spend a "GREAT" day in Thailand than months on a drip feeling sick and chocking all the time. I cant bear that again and yes I might add a few weeks to my life.

Bury in Thailand or England. I am relieved not to worry about it.

I just envy those lucky beggars I read on here that worry about being eaten by Tigers. (That made me chuckle).

Spend most of your days absolutlely bang out of your tits drunk and nail as many women as you can. Wake up most mornings with little isarn munchkin bar girls piled on top of you. Go to top end restraunts and order 7 course meals, eating only half of it, washed down with champagne and then bung the cute waitress 10,000 baht to bring the rest of the meal to your hotel, and spend all night banging the he11 out of her, insisting she keeps her uniform on at all times. Repeat daily, untill you are at the point where you truly dont give a dam_n about anything. If you happen to find the local ferang nutter in a bar, wrap a bar stool around his head whilst laughing your nuts off, leave a few grand on the bar for damages. Hire a nice car from Budget and find a hotel swimming pool to drive it into. Stuff like that.

I'm no doctor, but I find it unlikely that one would be physically capable of swigging champagne and banging "piles of munchkins" (lol) all night while in the later stages of inoperable lung cancel...

Actually thats a point (stupidly) I hadnt considered to be honest. Still, Chiang Mai would be my choice. He has all the bars and stuff when he feels he needs to let go (as much as he can) and the local culture to take in when he wants to reflect.

Conquent: It might sound cruel / insensitive to say this, but you also be thinking about how you want to leave this world once it is time... basic options are any kind of (assisted) suicide, seeking palliative care or then go to a hospital for the full medical treatments they will try on you...

And that then brings the financial question back... for what ever you will choose, you will need funding, as your UK insurance will not cover the cost beforehand, you will need to pay cash in advance for any treatment in Thailand and probably not have the time nor care about reimbursment from your UK insurance..

Thus, if you decide to spend all money for fun, it might only leave you with one option, since you clearly outlined that you have nobody left to help you other than the lady you are seeking...

Swiss1960 brings up a good point. You need to start planning your itinerary and start budgeting. And when I say this I mean we have seen other posters on this forum who have gone through more than 20,000 pounds in less time than you have discussed here. We have the cost of the plane ticket. We have to find accomodations, etc. When the cost of a nurse, or medical treatment comes into play, that 20,000 pounds, while a good amount, may be stretched dangerously thin for comfort.

First of all figure out where you want to go and I mean do you want to stick around in pattaya or do you want to travel around and see the rest of Thailand or the golden triangle while you're at it. You will need to figure all of this out for your travel accomodations and whatnot. And I know from your previous posts that you do not want to think about the funeral arrangements, but that is a cost that must also be factored into it.

• Like 1

Having just a couple of months ago lost a friend to lung cancer you have my deepest sympathy. One question comes to mind should you decide to return to Thailand, just how ambulatory are you? Can you walk about without difficulty, do you need a wheelchair? The reason I ask is the airline companies tend to be very careful whom they transport with illnesses, especially those with respiratory problems.

I sincerely hope that you can spend your remaining time in the Land that you love.

i went to a historical area just up from si sachanili known as the 'old city' and remember thinking it would be ok to die there.

wide open fields and hills with old abandoned temples and pretty much deserted. you really have to want to be alone to like it though. really nice energy, unlike many temples here which have been 'corrupted' by a steady stream of gawkers.

Swiss1960 brings up a good point. You need to start planning your itinerary and start budgeting. And when I say this I mean we have seen other posters on this forum who have gone through more than 20,000 pounds in less time than you have discussed here. We have the cost of the plane ticket. We have to find accomodations, etc. When the cost of a nurse, or medical treatment comes into play, that 20,000 pounds, while a good amount, may be stretched dangerously thin for comfort.

First of all figure out where you want to go and I mean do you want to stick around in pattaya or do you want to travel around and see the rest of Thailand or the golden triangle while you're at it. You will need to figure all of this out for your travel accomodations and whatnot. And I know from your previous posts that you do not want to think about the funeral arrangements, but that is a cost that must also be factored into it.

There must be a few in this Gentlemans position.There have been ads and interviews on a place in Pattaya where someone has opened a facility to care for people in this Gentlemans position

Don't forget to reflect on life and the friends you have had along the way, make sure you say your good byes.

Think of the enemies you have, one time they were not, is it time to think why they are enemies and at least forget the reason and bid them a fond farewell as well.

Family no matter how distant, say your goodbyes and let them know your intentions.

You might be surprised that some people would support and even join you for a few final jars of the amber liquid ( that is Single malt to you shandy drinking southerners )

Get your finances as best as possible in order, pay the outstanding debts, and selll absolutely everything you have, all the money will help you have a better final few months before departing this mortal coil

.Take one day at a time, the wet season is fast finishing so every days sunshine is a bonus.

think about your own "Bucket List" does not have to vbe wild and extravagant, maybe it is that prize fish, 3 ladies in a bed, three boys if that is your flavour, a bottle of Dom with Oysters.

Don't burn all teh cash at once, some people go on longer than doctors anticipate so do not end with nothing ( Sell EVERYTHING ) Converserly some people last less so work not only on the list but plan them in an appropriate order.

If you want to be repatriated then ashes will be easier, if you are happy to deal with a funeral in Thailand that can be arranged ( finding a Scottish piper for the last tune might be difficult )

Do not reflect on things that went wrong, thinlk of the nice things that have happened and run each day as it should be and how you want.

Uphill

Does the road wind uphill all the way?

Yes, to the very end.

Will the day's journey take the whole long day?

From morn to night, my friend.

But is there for the night a resting-place?

A roof for when the slow, dark hours begin.

May not the darkness hide it from my face?

You cannot miss that inn.

Shall I meet other wayfarers at night?

Those who have gone before.

Then must I knock, or call when just in sight?

They will not keep you standing at that door.

Shall I find comfort, travel-sore and weak?

Of labour you shall find the sum.

Will there be beds for me and all who seek?

Yea, beds for all who come.

CHRISTINA GEORGINA ROSSETTI

• Like 2

OP: I echo the sentiments of the other posters. Please do not be upset with the following as I am not intending to be negative.

On a very pragmatic level you need to be a bit careful with some fee paying hospitals if that's the path you go down for medical care whilst in Thailand. You can register a Living Will Declaration , as I have. Would need to be translated into Thai and notarised by a Thai lawyer. Wording you may like to consider as follows:

As I make this declaration I am of sound mind. I direct this declaration to my family and to anyone else who may become responsible for my health, welfare, financial, or other affairs. I hereby declare as follows:

Should circumstances come to exist, such as there is no reasonable expectation of my recovery, I direct that no extreme measures of any kind be used. In the event that there is a substantial question about the possibility of my recovery, or if there is no reasonable expectation of my recovery, I request that medication or other measures be utilised to reduce my physical suffering. I ask that this request be carried out even in the event that such measures or such medication may shorten my life.

On behalf of myself and my Estate I hereby release from any liability all hospitals, physicians, other medical personnel, and all other individuals having any part in complying with the requests made herein above.

My very best wishes...

That is excellent.Printing it out for my own and familys benefit,

Thank you Sir

OP: I echo the sentiments of the other posters. Please do not be upset with the following as I am not intending to be negative.

On a very pragmatic level you need to be a bit careful with some fee paying hospitals if that's the path you go down for medical care whilst in Thailand. You can register a Living Will Declaration , as I have. Would need to be translated into Thai and notarised by a Thai lawyer. Wording you may like to consider as follows:

As I make this declaration I am of sound mind. I direct this declaration to my family and to anyone else who may become responsible for my health, welfare, financial, or other affairs. I hereby declare as follows:

Should circumstances come to exist, such as there is no reasonable expectation of my recovery, I direct that no extreme measures of any kind be used. In the event that there is a substantial question about the possibility of my recovery, or if there is no reasonable expectation of my recovery, I request that medication or other measures be utilised to reduce my physical suffering. I ask that this request be carried out even in the event that such measures or such medication may shorten my life.

On behalf of myself and my Estate I hereby release from any liability all hospitals, physicians, other medical personnel, and all other individuals having any part in complying with the requests made herein above.

My very best wishes...

One of the most sensible and sensitive posts on this thread.

Thank you for some common sense.

• Like 1

A friend of mine recently passed away due to a heart attack. He made out a will and left any cash and his property to his brother in Australia. He wrote in his WILL that he wished to be creamated in Thailand and his ashes spread out to sea.

He told me not long before his death, not much sense in paying a fortune for the body to be flown back to OZ at some outragious expense and then some more outragious expenses to be creamated and buried there.

My wife organised his funeral in Phuket and total cost was $2000 OZ and he had a heap of girls gave him a send off and we also gave him a send off at the Ossie Bar.

My very best wishes...

All very nice but the FACT is that unless you have someone to actually instruct VERBALLY your wishes, such as a friend/family member, pragmatically any hospital here, private or otherwise will do what is in it's best BUSINESS interest and you'll be Non-DNR'd (to add to the money they make from either your pre-paid credit card/insurance) and thence subject to a long drawn out artificial extension of what's left of your physical life.

Please do not be fooled by Western concepts of Living Wills/Empathy here. They do not exist no matter whatever some shyster lawyer will tell you.

On the plus side, for there is one, any Western hospital would be duty bound/so in fear of being sued that they too would drag out the agony. A nice bungalow by the sea and a bottle of Nembutal's my plan. I've seen the alternative.

Edited by silsburyhill
  • Like 1

I have no real advice except I hope you enjoy the rest of your days where ever you are and whatever you do. wai.gif

I also suffer from an illness which could be terminal if I decide not to have treatment and I've thought about it many times so I can understand to some extent why you are doing this.

All the best.

My very best wishes...

All very nice but the FACT is that unless you have someone to actually instruct VERBALLY your wishes, such as a friend/family member, pragmatically any hospital here, private or otherwise will do what is in it's best BUSINESS interest and you'll be Non-DNR'd (to add to the money they make from either your pre-paid credit card/insurance) and thence subject to a long drawn out artificial extension of what's left of your physical life.

Please do not be fooled by Western concepts of Living Wills/Empathy here. They do not exist no matter whatever some shyster lawyer will tell you.

On the plus side, for there is one, any Western hospital would be duty bound/so in fear of being sued that they too would drag out the agony. A nice bungalow by the sea and a bottle of Nembutal's my plan. I've seen the alternative.

I really did not want to get into this level of discussion. But as you so aggressively put your point of view I have responded.

Yes you would need a friend/family member to communicate your wishes & I'm sure the OP is smart enough to know this. However, will also need to be backed up by a signed and notarised document with certified I.D. attached;.just as you do with a traditional Will in Thailand.

Regards Western hospitals, my mother, in the UK, died of cancer in a hospital & they respected her wishes that were in alignment to my post.

I recently spoke to my siblings that though I'm in good health I would prefer to be cremated here as i found happiness here not where I was brought up ,i mentioned that I would lay a stone from where I grew up so that if they needed to lay a flower then their "Dad"would be happy for that,with that in mind I would say to you live your life to the max it will allow,if you feel the need to come here so be it,enjoy yourself,if you have family leave some money that in the event of your death it would not burden them with the flight back,but to be honest dont worry too much the Embassy would sort it out.

A very touching thread however I suppose that is life. If this is your dying wish I would personally bring someone to Thailand with you that you trust.

I could think of nothing worse than being stuck somewhere where I didn't want to be and being too ill to rectify it.

They don't have to be with you 24-7 but could aid you with transport or as a go between if or when you did enter a hospital.

I truly wish you find your perfect ending and respect you for not just feeling sorry for yourself and making every last minute count.

Will be a tough thing to do, i guess as you know you will be needing high levels of pain releif they will have the effect of you now knowing to much where you are. It may well be expensive, in my experience with my father it was high levels of morphine which meant him needing more or less 24 hours care. It will be costly and prity difficult to mange as it progress. Sure your all well aware of all that though.

Personally i would stay put

If I understand correctly, the OP has stated that he expects to die before Christmas, which is approx. 3 months away. Reference is made to being on an IV drip and coughing and there is a "plan" to go to Thailand. I am sorry to be negative, but it is highly unlikely that the OP will be able to make the journey with his diminished lung capacity. If he requires a drip and has the coughing common to such patients, he may very well be blocked for flying at the airport.

My intent here is not to be cruel or mean, but to point out that the compassionate support offered probably will only hasten the OP's demise and it will most likely occur in transit. The situation with the lungs has a direct impact upon the heart and the circulatory system. In plain language the OP may need an approved oxygen tank to make the flight. You cannot bring a tank onto the plane under these conditions without a medical certificate. I would be surprised if a physician signs off on such a certificate.

If he makes it onto a plane, there may be a medical emergency brought on by the air quality 5 hours into a 10 hour flight etc. resulting in a need for medical care and a flight diversion and resultant delays. As mentioned already, the critical care pain meds are not common in Thailand and if he is going to carry a sufficient supply he will need to get scripts from the attending physician. A physician may very well intercede and quite rightly so.

I know the compassionate side of many of you is rooting for the OP to go ahead with this, but if he is terminal and has only 3 months to go, it is unlikely he will get off the plane, and if he does, it is likely the next segment of his journey will be straight to a medical quarantine center and then a quick deportation. Any routing through Hong Kong, China, Taiwan or Japan would see health surveillance officer intervention. It happens and there is a reason they have all those cameras and monitoring devices at the transit areas. Thailand tries to block terminally ill people from entering because of the medical and social costs that are associated with such a person.

Consideration should therefore be given to seeking out palliative care in the UK. The likelihood of a successful journey to Thailand is low and the OP will not be able to handle the resultant immigration mess. Again I apologize if this reads as heartless, but I think encouraging this journey is not doing anyone a favour, not the OP and not the passengers on the plane that will most likely be diverted.

• Like 2