U S Embassy In Bangkok Issues Security Warnings To Citizens In Thailand

webfact

A question to the posters that continuously quote the American Constitution on "Freedom of Speech"

For what reason do you think that American law is World law ?

The film in question was made in the U.S.A. Thus, the U.S. Constitution and U.S. laws concerning "Freedom of Speech" are applicable.

You need to make a better effort to keep up!

• Like 2

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is very unlikely that the the person who made this film will be charged under any "incitement to riot" law. Even less likely to be convicted. Here is the applicable U.S. federal statute 18 US Code - Section 2102: Definitions: (the italics are mine)

(cool.png As used in this chapter, the term"to incite a riot", or "to organize, promote, encourage, participate in, or carry on a riot", includes, but is not limited to, urging or instigating other persons to riot, but shall not be deemed to mean the mere oral or written (1) advocacy of ideas or (2) expression of belief, not involving advocacy of any act or acts of violence or assertion of the rightness of, or the right to commit, any such act or acts.”

Individual states have their law on "incitement to riot" laws and they generally follow the same principles. The speech, writing, film, or whatever, must actually urge the rioters to riot or urge the commission of an act of immediate violence. The mere making of a file, even if someone considers the film insulting, in poor taste, disrespectful, or even "hateful", is not incitement to riot.

That section has been amended to include the principle that it must be a meaningfull act if it's deemed meaningless and hatefull that code does not apply any longer.

More correctly stated there is an additional code and Legal principle that comes into play when it's a meaningless act not that that code doesn't apply.

Edited by MrRealDeal

Ater reading that there is actually a protest going down on Tuesday, maybe later some of you guys may actually want to have a flood within the next few days or weeks laugh.png Seriously though, I have always disliked living or staying in Bangkok which is why I don't, I don't understand why people choose to. Anyway back to topic.

A question to the posters that continuously quote the American Constitution on "Freedom of Speech"

When living in Thailand, or wherever, one should abide by that county's laws. But, this film wasn't made where such a film would be prohibited.

Everyone criticizes the US for trying to enforce its laws on other countries ....

Many countries have no problem censoring media. If they don't like the film, ban it. I don't think the distributor will do air drops!

Edited by Curt1591
  • Like 1

]

You can't just lump a whole religion of people into a group like that, it is just utterly ignorant and stupid. I know two muslims personally, they both live in the UK. One was born there with parents from Indnesia and one was born in Iraq but her family had to flee due to innocent deaths around the time of the war. Both girls are amazing people and I have a lot of respect for them, more than many people on this site that is for sure. So before you start using such dualistic words to put an entire relgion of people across the world in one boat like that, yes take a look in that mirror of yours.

You know just two Muslims personally and because they're nice and respectable people, they're representative of all the 'peaceful' Muslims in the world? Okayyyy.

By personally I mean that I have known them for most of my life and are actually good friends of mine, I have met and talked with many others, spent time with some of their friends and they are just people. Throwing around the word 'muslims' is stupid like I said, there are people who are dedicated to that religion across the world who are very respectable and people from that religion who are not, like with Christianity and Buddhism etc. The US or whatever western country going to war and killing a bunch of people, innocent people in the process as well is still killing people. There may be a 'cause' for it and if you look at why these people around the world now are pissed there are many reasons above this movie. I am pretty sure if I lived in Iraq my entire life trying to get by, I would be fuc_king pissed at the west as well.

I too know some great peaceful muslims. The other guy was talking about the extreme ones who want violence against people who DON"T believe in the Islamic way.

You only have to see some of the footage of these riots and what my friend witnessed in Australia, where many of them were shouting "Behead those responsible"; how in any walk of life can anyone stick up for an extreme minority who want to kill people because they've been offended. It's sick.

I agree with many people being p**sed with the West big time; but to want people dead just because they don't follow the same religion as you is ****ed up and it's justified why many people around the globe voice their disbelief and anger towards these extremists.

• Like 1

US Embassy prepares for anti-American demonstrations in Thailand

Phuket Gazette

us.jpeg

The US embassy confirmed to the Phuket Gazette that the security warning was not linked to any specific threats in Thailand.

PHUKET: -- The US Embassy in Bangkok has confirmed to the Phuket Gazette that the recent security warning issued to all American citizens was not linked to any specific threats in Thailand.

The warning, issued by the US Embassy in Bangkok, reads: “As a general precaution, the U.S. Embassy advises you to exercise caution and to be aware of your surroundings, particularly around large crowds or gatherings. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and possibly escalate into violence with little or no warning. You should avoid areas that may be targeted for demonstrations and exercise caution if within the vicinity of any demonstrations or large gatherings.”

The warning was issued after the Royal Thai Police informed the embassy of a demonstration “involving several hundred people is planned on Wireless Road in front of the Embassy between 1pm and 2pm on Tuesday, September 18.”

Due to the expected protest, the US Embassy will close to the public at midday tomorrow and non-essential personnel will be sent home.

Visa and citizen service appointments for tomorrow afternoon are being rescheduled.

“The United States is doing everything we can here in Thailand and worldwide to protect our diplomats, our facilities and our citizens,” US Embassy Bangkok spokesperson Walter Braunohler told the Gazette this afternoon.

“We are in constant touch with the Thai authorities and understand that we need this close cooperation to make sure everyone stays safe,” he added.

The demonstration in Bangkok comes as part of a wave of anti-American movements across the world, which have been linked to the recently release of the anti-Islam YouTube film “Innocence of Muslims”.

Google chose not to remove the video from YouTube after a request by the Obama administration for the internet giant to review whether or not the film complied with YouTube's terms of use.

Despite condemning the video, the Obama administration will not apologize for its existence, reported Fox News.

“We have made it clear that we find it offensive and reprehensible and disgusting,” Mr Carney told reporters at the daily White House news briefing on September 14.

“We have denounced it. We have said we find it offensive and reprehensible, but we will not – you know, we cannot and will not squelch freedom of expression in this country.”

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle17937.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-09-17

It's about time us Westerners fight back against these medieval minded people, the sad fact is that we are spoiled think all will go away. All around the world Muslims are creating problems.... and Why ? Because we choose not to be like them, choose not to pray 5 times per day, choose to live in peace, choose to accept modern times......... fuc_king freaks they are annoyed.gifannoyed.gif

All around the world people are creating problems, the deadliest city in the world by statistics is just across the border of the US... Do you not understand that by going to these middle eastern countries over the years it is kind of making them a little angry? You know, dropping bombs on them, killing innocent people, taking their resources, trying to put in motion a different way to run the show? That is only going to cause problems further down the line, and hello welcome to today.

• Like 1

Here is the "World" Legal view on this : The International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR) states that "any advocacy of national, racial or religious hatred that constitutes incitement to discrimination, hostility or violence shall be prohibited by law".[10] The Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination (ICERD) prohibits all incitement of racism.[11] On 3 May 2011, Michael O'Flaherty with the United Nations Human Rights Committee published General Comment No. 34 on the ICCPR, which among other comments expresses concern that many forms of "hate speech" do not meet the level of seriousness set out in Article 20.[12] Concerning the debate over how freedom of speech applies to the Internet, conferences concerning such sites have been sponsored by the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees.[13]

Because Freedom of Speech shouldn't allow hatred of religion or ethnicity....wouldn't you agree that the world would be a happier place if there was less hate of others?

Sure, and one way to achieve that is to remove all religion.

How exactly would you go about "removing" religion from people?!?! What kind of thought police are best at removing peoples belief systems?

The Spanish were pretty effective at removing their Muslims and Jews... The Nazi's pretty effective at removing Jewish Europeans maybe one of those brilliant game plans would work?

Or maybe instead we should just let people believe whatever they want, and not stone them, kill them, jail them, ridicule torture or re-educate them.

]

You can't just lump a whole religion of people into a group like that, it is just utterly ignorant and stupid. I know two muslims personally, they both live in the UK. One was born there with parents from Indnesia and one was born in Iraq but her family had to flee due to innocent deaths around the time of the war. Both girls are amazing people and I have a lot of respect for them, more than many people on this site that is for sure. So before you start using such dualistic words to put an entire relgion of people across the world in one boat like that, yes take a look in that mirror of yours.

You know just two Muslims personally and because they're nice and respectable people, they're representative of all the 'peaceful' Muslims in the world? Okayyyy.

By personally I mean that I have known them for most of my life and are actually good friends of mine, I have met and talked with many others, spent time with some of their friends and they are just people. Throwing around the word 'muslims' is stupid like I said, there are people who are dedicated to that religion across the world who are very respectable and people from that religion who are not, like with Christianity and Buddhism etc. The US or whatever western country going to war and killing a bunch of people, innocent people in the process as well is still killing people. There may be a 'cause' for it and if you look at why these people around the world now are pissed there are many reasons above this movie. I am pretty sure if I lived in Iraq my entire life trying to get by, I would be fuc_king pissed at the west as well.

I too know some great peaceful muslims. The other guy was talking about the extreme ones who want violence against people who DON"T believe in the Islamic way.

You only have to see some of the footage of these riots and what my friend witnessed in Australia, where many of them were shouting "Behead those responsible"; how in any walk of life can anyone stick up for an extreme minority who want to kill people because they've been offended. It's sick.

I agree with many people being p**sed with the West big time; but to want people dead just because they don't follow the same religion as you is ****ed up and it's justified why many people around the globe voice their disbelief and anger towards these extremists.

Given nobody should have the right to take away lives for not following a religion, but 'the other guy' did not point out that he/she was refering to only a small percent of the worlds Muslim population, but put them all into a group as if they have the same mindset. There are Christians in the bible belt of America that I am sure if given the chance would commit some pretty horrid acts if they all bannded together against people from another religion, the only things stopping them really is the fact that America is more developed and therefore there is more in the way of law in that sense. But I have heard and felt so much anger from some people that would match that of someone from the Taliban I am quite sure.

I can't believe a crappy movie is making such an impact.

That's the excuse for those wanting to grab power in the post Arab Spring countries to solidify some gains in their potentially expanding networks, using emotional appeal. And also likely to affect the USA election in 2 months. If Obama wants dialog, that goes against the needs of those that want a Great Satan to war against, Romney would fit their needs well.

Of coarse it is only an excuse for these radical exremist muslims to stir up trouble against us infidels.

Every country who has these violent extremists causing trouble with their violent protests should be deported back to their origin, citizen or not.

That would sove the problems for us innocent CHRISTIANS.

Let them cause havoc and trash their own country.

THEN WHO CARES.

coffee1.gif

I formed my conclusions by working in Iraq and Afghanistan, and living another 10 years in the Persian Gulf. What about you guys silsburyhill, BKKBrit, ever been to Afghanistan, Iraq, or even lived in an Arab or Muslim country for that matter?

Many people haven't, so just take whatever is written without understanding the context.

Edited by beechguy

Because Freedom of Speech shouldn't allow hatred of religion or ethnicity....wouldn't you agree that the world would be a happier place if there was less hate of others?

Sure, and one way to achieve that is to remove all religion.

How exactly would you go about "removing" religion from people?!?! What kind of thought police are best at removing peoples belief systems?

The Spanish were pretty effective at removing their Muslims and Jews... The Nazi's pretty effective at removing Jewish Europeans maybe one of those brilliant game plans would work?

Or maybe instead we should just let people believe whatever they want, and not stone them, kill them, jail them, ridicule torture or re-educate them.

Sounds good what did the states say to them to deserve 9/11

Talk is cheap. keep talking it's free.

Here is the additional relevant part to the Us Code that is left out involving the fighting words doctrine : The concept of fighting words as a form of prohibited speech has developed in the jurisprudence of U.S. constitutional law concerning terms of disparagement. However, the fighting words exclusion is construed in an extraordinarily narrow manner, and only the type of insulting speech which is deemed "meaningless" can be suppressed. Speech containing significant literary, artistic, political, or scientific significance cannot be suppressed (a test known to attorneys and law students by the mnemonic device "slaps"), even if it is wantonly and maliciously insulting, demeaning, or even inciting of racial, ethnic, religious or sexual hatred.

The main word to see is SIGNIFICANT if you miss that word you miss the entire meaning of whats Legal when being malicously insulting.

"These people" are extremists and believe it or not are not in the majority. Ask yourself why some people in the West wish to deliberately provoke extremist responses, rather than disseminating messages in support of moderate Islam and their efforts i.e. Arab Spring. The next stage in the fight for democracy is for moderate Islam to overcome the extremists - support them, don't undermine their efforts.

You can blame it on extremists or what not but the fact of the matter is that if someone just offends them a little, you know someone's going to die. The sad thing is the extremists are winning because the moderates aren't really doing anything to stop the extremists. Everytime something like this happens, moderates or maybe fake moderates will condemn the action and do little else. Their condemnation seem to be just lip service.

When someone insults the Christians or Buddhists or even those crazy Scientologists, you don't see buildings being burned down or people getting murdered do you?

The US Constitution was signed into being in 1787. It wasn't until about 170 years later that US citizens gained equal treatment for all from a more tolerant society. Still are Americans who are not tolerant (e.g. right wing extremists). Most Islamic states have been ruled by dictatorships for 30/40 years and before that by colonial rulers, totalitarian Emperors, monarchy etc. Last year some dictatorships were overthrown during Arab Spring last year with the encouragement of western countries.

Tell me why you expect the Muslim moderates in the Arab Spring states to be able to take control and establish their influence for transformation to a more tolerate attitude in a matter of months. Other than this you well know that moderates in Islamic countries who express their opinions are more often than not murdered by the extremists. The murdered were very brave people, would you stand up in the near certainty you would be killed?

• Like 1

You miss the point and seem to be the apologist.

I am a jew and I take offense to this dipshit creating such a stupid and offensive movie and then spewing lies that he is a jew. Jews are already huge targets in the middle east and the last thing we need is some middle eastern born christian claiming to be a jew and spouting hateful speech towards muslims.

I am all for freedom of speech and have served my country to protect this right but that does not mean that people should not be held accountable for their actions.

Ok let me ask you this. Would punishing this moron who made the movie stop the violence?

This movie was used as an excuse for them protest and to do violence. You really can't stop the next person from insulting Islam can you? Was Satanic Verses being hateful to Muslims? It was just a book but they deemed it offensive, got violent, protested and and killed people. All because of the perceived insult on Islam. Everything sets off these people and when this blows over, I'm just waiting for the next thing to make them explode again.

It r

Just punish the guy who made it ... And all this will be gone ....

Do you really believe that if they punish the guy who made it all will be well.

What did he do wrong? I haven't seen it but I imagine it is not a favorable film about a man who worked for his wife and founded a religion that treats women like they are slaves to men.

A religion that says kill the infidels. A religion that has nothing to offer by attraction so they spread it with threats and intimations. Rather than trying to attract people with what it has to offer. A religion that has to rule and not allow people to choose there own leaders unless they are willing to spread hate and violence. A religion that sets up schools and teaches kids to read and write so they can study the Koran and nothing else.

Do you really believe that if they do some thing to this man there will be no more suacide bombers road side bombs drive by killings vehicles parked in public places loaded with bombs air planes flying into a building with up to 50,000 workers in it. A religion that exports it's members int other countries where they become a drain on the social system of that country.

You really think it will all stop. Maybe you might want to rethink that statement.

eally has nothing to do with freedom of speech. It has to do with a bunch of crazy people looking for an excuse to explode and kill white people. Face it, they're racists and because they're part of a quirky little religion, it's okay for them to be racist!

VERY VERY TRUE.

Could you imagine christians doing this if some one made a movie against this religion.

And rioting and killing if a muslim burned the holy bible.

I THINK NOT.

It's about time us Westerners fight back against these medieval minded people, the sad fact is that we are spoiled think all will go away. All around the world Muslims are creating problems.... and Why ? Because we choose not to be like them, choose not to pray 5 times per day, choose to live in peace, choose to accept modern times......... fuc_king freaks they are annoyed.gifannoyed.gif

All around the world people are creating problems, the deadliest city in the world by statistics is just across the border of the US... Do you not understand that by going to these middle eastern countries over the years it is kind of making them a little angry? You know, dropping bombs on them, killing innocent people, taking their resources, trying to put in motion a different way to run the show? That is only going to cause problems further down the line, and hello welcome to today.

Not very good at geography but I believe you are talking about Detroit. Is Dearborn close to it I know it is a Muslim city

Just punish the guy who made it ... And all this will be gone ....

Why punish the filmmaker and accept oppression from Arabs? Freedom of exp<b></b>ression anyone?

Agree. Muslims feel very strongly about thier religion same like we do of our loved ones. How would any of you feel if someone insulted your mother or father in front of everyone and posted an insulting movie about them on You Tube.

I would be upset, but there is a safety switch in there somewhere that stops me from getting all my mates together and murdering people at random, burning flags and spitting pure hatred for anyone that are not my loved ones.

A lot of conflict around the globe has many variables, but usually one constant.

• Like 2

Well why doesn't the US stop intruding and interfering in the Islamic States - then maybe you will get your wish

Hope I can change my American accent into Tinglish, or Italian Englishhhaaa------coffee1.gif

start practising your g'day cobber.

Tip - g'day is one word not two.

Best idea ! You will get away with a bad Ozzie accent no probs, very easy to do and gets easier the more you drink wink.png

Where we can see that movie ? I still have a few pop corns.

You would need a lot of popcorn...enough to choke yourself. After watching 14 mins I was almost ready to take my own life, after two hours I would be leaping off the back of my seat onto my head.

So you didn't see it.

The film in question was made in the U.S.A. Thus, the U.S. Constitution and U.S. laws concerning "Freedom of Speech" are applicable.

But the trouble that has arisen in not in the U.S.A. The "Freedom of Speech" BM's in the main are suggesting that the Muslims have no right to protest the movie as the creator has "Freedom of Speech" rights,

American law has no relevance in other countries, maybe you need to try an expand your mind outside that of what you have been brought up to blindly believe.

Seems like the Muslims (not all, just some!!) finally found the reason they were looking for all along.

I always ask myself: why do Muslims often get angry if an idiot says something nasty concerning their religion!. Who cares what this idiot says. I personally don't spend time caring what people says about me or my religion.

Do they have such little confidence in themselves and their religion that they have to get angry all the time?

Edited by Nickymaster
  • Like 1

It´s not the movie itself that triggered this reaction worldwide weeks or months (?) after it was released!

This is not spontaneous reactions but well planned attacks coordinated througout the world, a continuation of the arab spring by islamists wanting to rule the world. They know what they want and they know what theyre doing.

Smart people these islamists, they are far ahead of the rest of this world in this conflict that the rest is denying even exists!

You need to look up the meaning of Arab Spring

"These people" are extremists and believe it or not are not in the majority. Ask yourself why some people in the West wish to deliberately provoke extremist responses, rather than disseminating messages in support of moderate Islam and their efforts i.e. Arab Spring. The next stage in the fight for democracy is for moderate Islam to overcome the extremists - support them, don't undermine their efforts.

You can blame it on extremists or what not but the fact of the matter is that if someone just offends them a little, you know someone's going to die. The sad thing is the extremists are winning because the moderates aren't really doing anything to stop the extremists. Everytime something like this happens, moderates or maybe fake moderates will condemn the action and do little else. Their condemnation seem to be just lip service.

When someone insults the Christians or Buddhists or even those crazy Scientologists, you don't see buildings being burned down or people getting murdered do you?

The US Constitution was signed into being in 1787. It wasn't until about 170 years later that US citizens gained equal treatment for all from a more tolerant society. Still are Americans who are not tolerant (e.g. right wing extremists). Most Islamic states have been ruled by dictatorships for 30/40 years and before that by colonial rulers, totalitarian Emperors, monarchy etc. Last year some dictatorships were overthrown during Arab Spring last year with the encouragement of western countries.

Tell me why you expect the Muslim moderates in the Arab Spring states to be able to take control and establish their influence for transformation to a more tolerate attitude in a matter of months. Other than this you well know that moderates in Islamic countries who express their opinions are more often than not murdered by the extremists. The murdered were very brave people, would you stand up in the near certainty you would be killed?

I suspect people would be quite happy if the Muslims behaved the same way as the right wing extremists do when they are angry.

But the trouble that has arisen in not in the U.S.A. The "Freedom of Speech" BM's in the main are suggesting that the Muslims have no right to protest the movie as the creator has "Freedom of Speech" rights,

American law has no relevance in other countries, maybe you need to try an expand your mind outside that of what you have been brought up to blindly believe.

Errrrr no ................ people are saying that Muslims don't have the right to RIOT not that they don't have the right to PROTEST.
  • Like 1