Seven Days Of Karaoke

madmitch

The lady in the house opposite us died a week ago. She had been suffering from cancer for some time but was very friendly and helpful.

So the funeral started last Monday with the monks and a party, culminating in karaoke. Tuesday was a bit quieter but the volume and hours have since then steadily increased, finishing at 3:30 am on Saturday morning, 6am on Sunday morning and the loudest session was last night until about 4:30. My alarm goes off at 6:40 so last night I slept approximately two hours.

It seems that the place is quite empty for the beginning of the chanting, then the freeloaders arrive for the food and the party and the noise levels rise as the night goes on.

I have attended a number of Thai funerals, mostly in the GF's village, but none have ever taken this format. Even the GF thinks it's bordering on disrespectful, though possibly because she too has been deprived of sleep. Luckily my 7 year old can sleep through anything, as she has the bedroom overlooking the party place.

I am very glad that the cremation is taking place today. I hope they don't have a post-cremation party as well as I don't think I can stand another night like the last few.

It seems that Kata Temple is going to be busy over the next few days as there appear to be a few deaths in the vicinity. Hope the monks can keep everyone happy.

Good lord! The title alone scares me. You have my deepest sympathy.

I had never lived in anything other than a house before coming to Thailand. After accepting the fact that a condo was my most practical housing choice here, I moved in and actually started to enjoy the convenience of no property maintenance. I also heard stories about people who live in houses being visited by uninvited guests like snakes, so that made me feel better about living high up in a cement box. House break-ins was something else I didn't have to be concerned with living in a 24-hour secured building, so the positive aspects of condo living were adding up. Thank you for adding one more reason to embrace living well above the ground in my condo -- less noise pollution. I really don't think I could handle what you've described. Good luck and I hope there's no post-cremation party.