webfact

INUNDATION

Water expert: Slim chance of floods as bad as in 2011

CHULARAT SAENGPASSA,

PONGPHON SARNSAMAK

THE NATION

30190584-01_big.jpg

Panel chief urges Bangkok residents to pay attention to flood-related info

BANGKOK: -- There is only a "slim chance" Bangkok will face flooding as bad as last year. That's because it would take at least 17 storms this and next month to produce the same amount of water, according to Royol Chitdon, a panel chief on the Water and Flood Management Committee (WFMC).

In an exclusive interview with The Nation, Royol urged the public, especially Bangkokians, to avoid panic by paying more attention to the flood-related information.

"I can't tell you and I won't tell you whether there will definitely be flooding or no flooding this year. The only thing I can say is Thailand has a slim chance of facing a situation like last year's flood," said Royol, who is also the director of the Hydro and Agro Infomatics Institute (HAII).

However, flood-prone low-lying areas would likely face repeated flooding, he conceded. Royal urged residents to look at statistical comparisons to past floods rather than just asking if there will be flooding or not.

Statistics gathered by HAII show the amount of run-off in the upper Chao Phraya basin a year ago was eight billion cubic metres. The amount of run-off in the same area this year stands at 1,000 cubic metres.

While the run-off amount in the lower Chao Phraya basin last year was at 12 billion to 14 billion cubic metres, the amount now was 300 million cubic metres.

It would take at least seven storms in the upper Chao Phraya basin and 12 storms in the lower basin to create the amount of floodwater to equal last year's calamity, Royol said.

"There is a slim chance that 17 storms could occur this month and next because of the current weather conditions and the presence of the El Nino phenomenon in the Pacific Ocean," he explained.

Since last year, flood-prevention measures have been improved and implemented in the flood-affected areas including Bangkok. Measures put in place in the past few months include canal dredging, water pumps and water-pushing machines. Drainage tests were done in Bangkok recently to study the capacity of canals.

The shallow, low-lying Lat Phrao Canal was seen as the weakest point in the city's drainage system. The canal also suffered from blockages due to construction and garbage. However, a water-pushing machine raised the canal's drainage capacity to 17 cubic metres per second.

A water-pushing machine could drain water from western Bangkok's Thawee Wattana Canal at 15 cubic metres per second, according to the test, after 20 per cent of that volume was released into the canal.

To protect Bangkok, the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) has prepared 40 water-pushing machines to drain water in city canals while the Royal Thai Navy Dockyard has prepared another 40 water-pushing machines.

"The situation this year has changed from last year," Royol said.

Run-off is currently not being drained through BMA canals in order to better enable the city to deal with rainwater this season, Royol noted.

He suggested that Bangkokians closely follow the flood situation from reliable sources. "We found that Bangkok people don't pay enough attention to the flood situation nor do they seek more information to understand the situation. They just care about their business," he said. In contrast, upcountry residents were more dutiful in monitoring the flood situation and weather.

"What I found is people tend to believe information according to who delivers the message rather than really considering the source of the information."

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-09-18

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Poor editing by the paper, here

"Statistics gathered by HAII show the amount of run-off in the upper Chao Phraya basin a year ago was eight billion cubic metres. The amount of run-off in the same area this year stands at 1,000 cubic metres"

I think that the final figure is more likely to be 1,000 million (i.e. 1 billion in some countries, not in others, not sure how Thailand defines 1 billion).

• Like 1

Water expert: Slim chance of floods as bad as in 2011

So this indicated the administration, confirms that the flooding in Bangkok and the areas around Bangkok will be flooded, but not as bad as last year.

The Japanese and other investers will not be happy with the "white lie", no more floods.

It will take 17 storms? What kind? How do they know how much water will be poured by one storm, let alone by 17?Checking average values?

And of course they know that this is not going to happen.

I already feel so much better knowing that it scientifically demonstrated that we are not going to face the same sh*t as last year...

But, let's talk again in December, just to confirm.

• Like 2

To protect Bangkok, the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) has prepared 40 water-pushing machines to drain water in city canals while the Royal Thai Navy Dockyard has prepared another 40 water-pushing machines.

Does anyone have a link to any information on these water pushing machines (not joking)? I would like to know the design and operation of these criters.

coffee1.gifcoffee1.gif I am not so sure of that...yesterday the street around me was so flooded, I saw a Big Rat Paddling and moving faster than the flow of

traffic

Was he an MP or just a local government worker?

My wife works for the Government. I'll ask her

post-4641-1156694606.gif

• Like 1

I've got some neighbors (family of 4 with the wife definitely in control of the household) who moved everything in their two story house to the second floor just before the floods hit here in Bangkok...nothing wrong with that as I did the same thing. However, I brought my first story furniture back down to the first story after the flood; they brought very little back down...their second story looks like a packed furniture warehouse....the neighbor wife still strongly believes it will flood again this year and makes no effort to hide her belief in discussions. Maybe she's right....these neighbors owns several businesses...three cars...two homes...doing very well...maybe the neighbor lady is right about major flooding in Bangkok again this year---but I don't think so. Still a lot of people believe major flooding is going to reoccur in Bangkok this year or next....hopefully it won't....if it don't this year then maybe these people will feel a little more secure and bring the furniture back down to the first story.

"... a water-pushing machine..."

No further questions.

...I have a degree in hydrology and have likewise never heard of a 'water pushing machine'. Maybe I am just getting old, but last time I checked H20 was still a fluid, at least in its liquid form, thus difficult to 'push around'.

• Like 1

"I can't tell you and I won't tell you whether there will definitely be flooding or no flooding this year. The only thing I can say is Thailand has a slim chance of facing a situation like last year's flood," said Royol, who is also the director of the Hydro and Agro Infomatics Institute (HAII).

So, who can we ask the question? As tax payers the population has the right to know what is going to happen to our homes. Billions of Baht "were invested" to prevent this calamity to happen again but it seems that nothing or almost nothing was done and now, no one has the right to ask the experts. Let's just wait and one morning when we wake and our homes are flooded we will find out that the flood prevention experts couldn't solve anything!!!

water-pushing machines

Still going on about this stupid waste of money are they. Some useless poo yai, or government minister certainly doesn't want to lose his face, or maybe emergency disaster relief money is too easy to graft from with the lack of bidding process and non political checks and balances.

The only large scale water puching machine available to man is gravity. So, you either have to raise the landmass or lower the sea level, which no matter how many promises that fool of a science minister makes, it aint gonna happen, pal.

Edited by RogueExpat
  • Like 2

Does anyone have a link to any information on these water pushing machines (not joking)? I would like to know the design and operation of these criters.

"Although the government had called off the drill, water-pushing machines were still in place to help speed up water drainage in canals."

424267.jpg

Sorry, links to Bangkok post removed per forum rules

Edited by Crossy

"What I found is people tend to believe information according to who delivers the message rather than really considering the source of the information."

Sounds like the problem which the whole of Thailand suffers from

Also sounds like the problem which most on TV suffer from.

• Like 1

water-pushing machines

Still going on about this stupid waste of money are they. Some useless poo yai, or government minister certainly doesn't want to lose his face, or maybe emergency disaster relief money is too easy to graft from with the lack of bidding process and non political checks and balances.

The only large scale water puching machine available to man is gravity. So, you either have to raise the landmass or lower the sea level, which no matter how many promises that fool of a science minister makes, it aint gonna happen, pal.

Nonsense. Water-pushing machines work. They are also used in other countries. It is a fact that they increase the flow of water. So maybe you shoudl check your facts before you go spouting off about things you know nothing about.

So, who can we ask the question? As tax payers the population has the right to know what is going to happen to our homes. Billions of Baht "were invested" to prevent this calamity to happen again but it seems that nothing or almost nothing was done and now, no one has the right to ask the experts. Let's just wait and one morning when we wake and our homes are flooded we will find out that the flood prevention experts couldn't solve anything!!!

No-one knows, so there is no-one that can answer the question. How do you expect anyone to know how many storms we will have in the next couple of months? You are expecting people to answer the impossible. The best answer is that there is only a slim chance of floods similar to 2011, so keep an eye on the weather and you'll eventually find out.

I just don't understand the motivation of people like you that post such nonsense. How exactly do you expect someone to know if it will flood or not? If you're so clever, then why don't you answer the question yourself.

Screw Bangkok, what's the chance of flooding in Pathum Thani, Nonthaburi el al

I heard some info that did not sound too good for Nonthaburi, they did make the bank of the river on the BKK side higher but the side on the Nothaburi was not made higher and that was one of the places where it floods.

The thing is the more water goes through the river the worse it is for BKK so they might want other provinces to flood so the river wont have carry all the water and they will stay safe.

This idiotic obsession with the weather is as annoying as a couple of kids in the back seat asking, "Daddy, are we there yet?."

It will flood again. It will flood in increments consistent with the amount of rain that falls at any perticular time, in proportion to the amount of water saturation in the soil, etc. So sit back, shut up, and enjoy the ride. We'll get there when we get there.

Meteorologists are experts in predicting only; and that does not make it an exact science.

Edited by cup-O-coffee
  • Like 1

"... a water-pushing machine..."

No further questions.

...I have a degree in hydrology and have likewise never heard of a 'water pushing machine'. Maybe I am just getting old, but last time I checked H20 was still a fluid, at least in its liquid form, thus difficult to 'push around'.

It's easy to "push around" things in Thailand...especially the minds of the people.

• Like 1