Finished Car Loan, Need Residence Certificate To Get Log Book.

Regarding proof of address.

Do you have an extension of stay or a non immigrant visa entry? Without these you will not get a Residence certificate from immigration and should get the certificate from the UK embassy (no proof of address needed).

Bangkok immigration takes 3 weeks to issue certificate if you qualify (and have address in Bangkok) to get one. You might also be able to get one in Samui from immigration there if you have proof of address for there.

Recent insurance document showing your address should be enough proof for immigration.

Having new address should not be a problem when you sell the car. Most people (Thai's included) don't bother changing the address in the book when the move.

If I have been advised correctly then if you wantto sell your car then you must go to the DLT office where it is registered (see name of province underthe reg No.) not to any DLT say in another province.

I have a car which was registered in Banglamung but I now live in Buriram. I am told that I should re-register the vehicle in my home province but to do that I have to go to Banglmung and de-register there first. (or I can pay a man (3.000B) outside the Buriram DLT office to arrange this for me). The same goes if i wish to sell the car. Crazy I know.

Regarding proof of address.

I strongly suggest you email the consular section at the British Embassy and ask them. Contact details are on their website.

In my experience they usually get back to you in one or two days and, as far as I am concerned, have always been helpful. They have some guff about 20 days to respond to emails but I have never had to wait more than a day or so.

At the end of the day they are the only ones who can give you a definitive answer on this one.

Thanks for everyones replies in connection with my questions,it's appreciated.

I am hoping to get a non O visa from Hull based on being over 50. They have told me this is possible if I have adequate funds in a UK bank or savings account. However should this not happen and I was misinformed then I will have to put my trust in the British Embassy route.

My car was bought from new on Koh Samui. So that is where I guess I will have to do the selling. Or I presume at any other transport office as long as it is in Surat Thani province. If I get a residents certificate from immigration or the local amphur showing a different address than on the blue book will this be a problem ? Both addresses are only about 2 miles apart so is it safe to assume that the transport office will be OK with this?

Silly question really as it's never ''safe to assume'' anything but what are peoples thoughts ?

What about the safest way to sell your car. I'm thinking of maybe a cheque in the banks name from the buyers bank. Walk over the road and deposit in your bank account, then hand the car over when your bank are happy that everything is in order and genuine?

Thanks again.

Edited by brizzle

Of course the ludicrous thing is that I can pitch up at the motor office with my condo lease, phone and electric bills, bank and credit card statements and they mean nothing.

I can go to my embassy, say I live at 23 Railway Cuttings, I need no evidence, they sell me a letter confirming what I have told them, and that meaningless letter is perfectly acceptable to the Thai authorities.

Is it just me who fails to grasp the logic?

The logic?

Ahhhhhhh, so simple.

It is called covering your arse.

The document from the embassy, for whatever it's worth, is an official document, so very much suited to hide behind if somethiing might go wrong

If I have been advised correctly then if you wantto sell your car then you must go to the DLT office where it is registered (see name of province underthe reg No.) not to any DLT say in another province.

I have a car which was registered in Banglamung but I now live in Buriram. I am told that I should re-register the vehicle in my home province but to do that I have to go to Banglmung and de-register there first. (or I can pay a man (3.000B) outside the Buriram DLT office to arrange this for me). The same goes if i wish to sell the car. Crazy I know.

The way to go?

Take car and paperwork, including personal, to the Land Transport Ofiice where you want to re-register your car.

The numbers of the car will be checked, the book will be taken in, your old number plates also, and then you wait for a few hours.

And bingo, there is your book, registration number changed, new number plates, you pay the official fees for the new number and plates, and you are ready to go.

And this can only be done in the office where you go for the new registration.

The old registration office can not do anything, and de-registering a car?

Page one in your book is the important part, the first registration.

And that can not be changed.

Any other change of ownership, registration number, roadtax, whatever, is done in the book.

If you de-register a car, means that the car is destroyed, or exported, the book and number plates are taken in.

And then it is impossible to re-register the car.............

You don't need an Embassy letter....go to immigration and register your address on the standard form,...I think you need a couple of passport photos...they will give you a receipt. Take this to Land Transport Office and ask to have vehicle registered in your name. Details of what is required is available on Internet...how to register a motor Vehicle for foreigners.....really a simple exercise.

One point no-one has mentioned -- so I will -- was the finance in your name ? I ask because we have bought two vehicles through finance, a new Nissan Navara and a Yamaha Fino Mio and neither could be in my name because the finance had to be in my wife's name. She can then transfer ' ownership ' of them to me once the finance has finished. It is very easy to get a residence permit as a lot of people have mentioned. Prices seem to vary nationwide but I can confirm the Immigration Offices in Korat and Kap Cheong both charge 500 baht per permit. Also, if you part exchange a vehicle in your name and the new vehicle is to be in your name you need two residence permits -- 1000 baht thank you very much -- one for the sale of the old vehicle and one for the new motor. Crazy but there you go.

I got a letter of residence from my Ampur about 7 years ago, and I'm still giving photocopys of that orrigional now.

I still have the original certificate of residence obtained from my local immigration office 5 years ago but I understood that this had a limited shelf life for the purposes of buying or selling a car.

Can this really still be used?

That's what I thought ..thanks for confirming Joe ,

Regarding the blue book can somebody confirm that in theory I could take my currrent certificate of residence to the transport office,get the blue book updated to my new address and sell the vehicle on the same day?

Thank you.