Jing, La

HeijoshinCool

Thanks!

So, if jing la is really?, then is jing, by itself, real?

By itself jing can mean 'real' or refer to 'the truth' as in 'phuut kwam jing'. In this case the particle lɘɘ indicates uncertainty on the part of the speaker and requests confirmation, just as in English we use the word 'really' with an inquisitive tone atop the word. In English we use tones the way that Thai uses particles to convey aspects of meaning.

• Like 1

In English we use tones the way that Thai uses particles to convey aspects of meaning.

This is something I've not yet been able to do. Although I hear จริงเหรอ all the time, I've never felt comfortable saying it myself. I studied at a language school, and haven't really broken out of my comfort zone based in proper Central Thai structures. My speech can sometimes take the form of drawn out, elaborate addresses of "writing language"; and I'm often informed that I could have said the same thing with some much shorter slang phrase.

In spoken speech it's usually รึ rather than เหรอ. I.e. short vowel, high tone, rather than long vowel, rising tone.

รึ is an informal (and very common) contraction of รึป่าว (reu plaaw) meaning "or not".

The meaning (depending on context) could either be "Is that true or not?" (meaning, I think you may be mistaken and/or not telling the truth), or "Is that true?" (meaning, that sounds a little unlikely/incredible - is it really true?).

Possible other explanation for the OP.

"Jing La" is using the Malay particle "La" supposing the Thai particles of either "reu" or "mai" or most commonly "na". Go to Singapore and you will hear the "La" particle all the time, and in Bkk you hear some Thai's using it occasionally. I first heard this at a machinery exhibition I was involved with many years ago, where the were a few Singaporean businessmen. By the end of the exhibition all the Thai's were using the "La" particle.

Edit: Added.

Edited by soundman

• 2 months later...
There are quite a few variations:

จริงหรือเปล่า

จริงหรือ

จริงเหรอ

จริงรึ

จริงป่าว

จริงปะ

จริงอ่ะ

etc.

These are all correct. I tend to favor adding a ครับ after them. Without it, one may appear to an educated person as a touch common.

True, but they say it the way he wrote it.

Some do, some don't.

Per Becker, the three ways to write that "la" are:

หรือ

เหรอ

เรอะ

and not

รึ

I tend to favor adding a ครับ

You really know your ครับ

Edited by leosmith