Availability Of E-Readers

SugarB

I've been looking online for E-readers such as Kobo Sony etc in Pattaya area. I want to get my son one for Christmas , Can't really see any but may not be looking at the right stores Should I just Bring one with me when I come for our 5 month stay in December? Thanks for reading.

probably better to buy one before you come...

..a timely post as am looking to buy two e reading tools...got into analysis paralysis stage on google but think I will go for the tablet .....more bang for the buck and colour for mags etc...also for a child more flexibility...

the only downside it seems ... is the battery life of a tablet is low vs e reader and maybe the screen being anti glare on an e reader may be advantageous to some?

be ware also that some e readers limit you to their own download sites.....ie no freebies

Edited by David006

• 2 weeks later...

A new Kindle has just been launched recently, Kindle Paperwhite. This is just what I have been missing on my current Kindle as the new one can be read in dimmed conditions, e.g. bed room and my office in the evenings.

Sadly on Amazon they say that orders placed today will first be in stock around 22/10 due to high demand. 140us$ for the fi-fi model in the US, so that will likely end up in 6-7000 bath if I order one from them (import tax/postage) which I think I will do but I will try check prices/delivery date in Thailand first.

probably better to buy one before you come...

..a timely post as am looking to buy two e reading tools...got into analysis paralysis stage on google but think I will go for the tablet .....more bang for the buck and colour for mags etc...also for a child more flexibility...

the only downside it seems ... is the battery life of a tablet is low vs e reader and maybe the screen being anti glare on an e reader may be advantageous to some?

be ware also that some e readers limit you to their own download sites.....ie no freebies

The non-light emitting screens of the kindle are far less fatiguing (damaging?) for your eyes than tablet screens.

For 7000bht you can get a secondhand Samsung Galaxy Tab 7"

Combined phone, GPS, book reader, Internet browser, games machine

these devices might work for casual readers but for serious book readers the screen strain your eyes and worst in outdoors, the battery life is beyond pathetic as compared to a proper e readers.

these devices might work for casual readers but for serious book readers the screen strain your eyes and worst in outdoors, the battery life is beyond pathetic as compared to a proper e readers.

Exactly, I love my current Kindle, it can go 2-3 weeks without charging (old model) and the new one has this very speciel light that comes from the top thus not strain your eyes.

When I sit in an airport somewhere, I use my Samsung Note for i-net and then when I am done I get my Kindle out of the bag and read xxx hours until I board the plane and then I sometimes continue reading in the plane as well.

The Kindle is the best electronic gadget I bought in a long time.

• Like 1

A new Kindle has just been launched recently, Kindle Paperwhite. This is just what I have been missing on my current Kindle as the new one can be read in dimmed conditions, e.g. bed room and my office in the evenings.

Don't know if it will bother you or not, but it seems this first edition of Paperwhite has no audio capabilities.

I love my Kindle, and I would not use a tablet for reading. I can go maybe 3 weeks without charging, I can download tons of books for free or for $0.99. I can "carry" hundreds of books with me wherever I go.

I don't like the fact that Amazon has jacked up the prices of some best-sellers to as much or even more than I can get a physical copy of the same book sent to me, so I ignore those and focus on the rest.

I love my Kindle, and I would not use a tablet for reading. I can go maybe 3 weeks without charging, I can download tons of books for free or for $0.99. I can "carry" hundreds of books with me wherever I go.

I don't like the fact that Amazon has jacked up the prices of some best-sellers to as much or even more than I can get a physical copy of the same book sent to me, so I ignore those and focus on the rest.

As I understand it you can download all of the classics for free. Is this still the case?

But for those who need to carry a phone or tablet around which can have Kindle installed on it, the argument over battery life is mute Vs carrying two gadgets?

• Like 1

I have the Asus TF700t...with the widely adjustable backlight you can read all the day with out eye problems. Even outdoors.

not as good as a proper e reader, but it has color and you can read the newspapers online as well.

I am interested in an e-reader like Kindle.

Once I download books, how can I make a security backup?

Is there a USB socket, or do I have to use wireless?

If you bought a book from Amazon it's basically your book for life, so if

your kindle ends in the toilet and drowns you just buy a new kindle

and you can anytime get them back for free via whispernet (fi-fi or 3G) from amazon.

If you by mistake deleted a book on your kindle same thing applies, can get it back anytime you want.

Yes you can connect the kindle via mini usb to pc, so you can choose to get your books from pc

or direct to the kindle.

I have over 50gb of books on my pc that I rather not tell where I got them from (hint:something with torrents)

and those I will off-course have to back-up as I see fit.

Hi Astral

Using a Kindle if you buy books from Amazon -- they are automatically backed up in your cloud account.

An indispensable tool in your PC for any eReader is the program:

http://calibre-ebook.com/

This reader/format converter is where all my ebooks are stored on my PC.

There are many sites providing eBooks at much much lower rates than the big names.

Edited by tig28

I am interested in an e-reader like Kindle.

Once I download books, how can I make a security backup?

Is there a USB socket, or do I have to use wireless?

If you bought a book from Amazon it's basically your book for life, so if

your kindle ends in the toilet and drowns you just buy a new kindle

and you can anytime get them back for free via whispernet (fi-fi or 3G) from amazon.

If you by mistake deleted a book on your kindle same thing applies, can get it back anytime you want.

Yes you can connect the kindle via mini usb to pc, so you can choose to get your books from pc

or direct to the kindle.

I have over 50gb of books on my pc that I rather not tell where I got them from (hint:something with torrents)

and those I will off-course have to back-up as I see fit.

But recall the incident when Amazon recalled one book.

And you can't give your book to a friend or your children, or?

I only buy books without DRM...mostly SiFi stories which I delete after reading...for a .99-5 USD which is fair and I like to support the author.

But no way I buy anything with DRM. Either I take the t-version you mentioned or I buy the book in the paper version.

I actually don't feel happy that a couple of companies know what I read, up to where you are located the government does not like if you read ultra-right, communist, religious things....

For example a lot books/songs are illegal in Austria or Germany, surely a much wider range in Saudi Arabia and I don't like some companies can make a profil about my political/religious opinions from the books I read or music I hear.

But for those who need to carry a phone or tablet around which can have Kindle installed on it, the argument over battery life is mute Vs carrying two gadgets?

I have Aldiko book reader installed on my Samsung Note phone but I find the 5" screen too small for serious reading, I use it sometimes to spend 10 min.

at Swampi airport immigration in the queue. As for tablets I nerver tried one but they are very heavy compared to a kindle reader (not the fire, very heavy too).

The kindle is easy to put inside my pc bag.

You should try one if you read a lot of books.

Edited by guzzi850m2

ok i admit im out of touch. im still on my kindle 2, its probably a good time to have a upgrade and man why are them so cheap now? i got mine for 300 bucks. can anyone tell me what does the free 3g means? you mean i could just make book purchases right off anywhere with the 3g model? is there a sim card or something? and does that mean i could actually check my mails and stuff for like frEE?

ok i admit im out of touch. im still on my kindle 2, its probably a good time to have a upgrade and man why are them so cheap now? i got mine for 300 bucks. can anyone tell me what does the free 3g means? you mean i could just make book purchases right off anywhere with the 3g model? is there a sim card or something? and does that mean i could actually check my mails and stuff for like frEE?

The free 3g means that almost anywhere in the world where you got mobile phone coverage you can visit amazons e-book store buy a book and have it on your kindle reader some 5-10 min later(obviously you have to have an account with them), no sim cards installed. No you can't browse the net or check your mail on it, but still pretty cool.

My current kindle have 3g but after I installed fi-fi in the house I hardly ever use 3g anymore and the paperwhite I gonna order very soon will only have fi-fi.

I take my Kindle 3G everywhere. The ability to surf the kindle bookstore, anywhere at anytime is superb. You can download blogs, newspapers and magazines too.

And yes you can check your emails over its experimental web browser.

Edited by lukey1979

I take my Kindle 3G everywhere. The ability to surf the kindle bookstore, anywhere at anytime is superb. You can download blogs, newspapers and magazines too.

And yes you can check your emails over its experimental web browser.

Correct. I am writing this post on my Kindle 3G. HOWEVER, the 3G surfing is now limited to 50MB per month, although you can browse the Amazon Bookstore for as long as you want.