Double Pricing Policy In Restaurant

ROBINPATTAYA

Hi All,

Last night the long haired translator & I went to the BBQ restaurant opposite the large food market in Soi Siam.

The range of food was ok, surroundings the same & it was a pleasant evening.

When time to check bin, she found that she was 129 baht & I was 150 baht.

This is only 21 baht but the principle of double pricing is the real issue.

I will never go back there because we farangs are the ones that usually drink beer, not bottled water.

This pushes up the bill which benefits the restaurant.

They simply don't get it

That is Thai mentality, the same as when business is slow, they put prices up to cover the loss, Thai Economics 101....

Edited by ROBINPATTAYA

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I presume from your complaint of double pricing that you both had the exact same to eat and drink?

This line confuses me - "I will never go back there because we farangs are the ones that usually drink beer, not bottled water."

No doubt that double pricing is an issue but I have never had that problem in all the years I've been in Pattaya. The price on the menu is the price you pay unless it states somewhere that an extra 7% tax or service charge will be added. If you can't see the price of your food before you are buying it, don't buy it. Surely you were both given the same menu to look at?

150 BAHT? Holy moly batman that's cheap. I will be heading there tonight and probably many more nights. I'm not sure if it the "Ninja" franchise or a different name but that's still cheaper than Ninja by 49 baht.

And she ate BBQ for only 129 baht for real? That is awesome !!!!!!

PS: This is the kind of BBQ like Ninja on second rd Pattaya Nua or behind Big-C Sukhumvit right? Where you cook all your own food and as much as you can eat for 1 price?

You are all missing the point, there is a price for Thais & a different price for farangs for the same BBQ meal.

If you are happy with that, fair enough.

The meal is cheap, that isn't the issue here, it is ripping off farangs at every opportunity.

Same as Nong Nuch, a 2 tiered pricing structure.

• Like 2

If I wasn't comfortable with double pricing I wouldn't be living in Thailand to be honest.

Why did you get 2 separate bills anyways? Or was it 1 bill and they just added the extra whatever it was to one person?

I'm not being totally sarcastic but want to know if her/your bill was only for food and you had no drinks etc.? If you had drinks, ice etc. then what is the price just for the BBQ?

Well, considering the average 100 kilo + male farang will probably eat at least 3 times as much as the average 45 kilo female Thai, maybe a price differential is not totally unjustified.ermm.gif

Just my two penneth, although I'm not generally in favour of two tier pricing.

If the OP is correct, I suspect there was a menu was in Thai quoting 129 Baht and the menu in English quoting 150 Baht.

Ah well, not really worth getting to het up about

TITsmile.png

• Like 2

Just guess and may be wrong, 21 baht is for a bucket of ice. I don't think the restaurant is insane enough to charge 21 baht as Farang fee, especially you came with someone who can read Thai.

The longhaired translator asked why the difference, she said farang price...no second guessing there

150 BAHT? Holy moly batman that's cheap. I will be heading there tonight and probably many more nights. I'm not sure if it the "Ninja" franchise or a different name but that's still cheaper than Ninja by 49 baht.

And she ate BBQ for only 129 baht for real? That is awesome !!!!!!

PS: This is the kind of BBQ like Ninja on second rd Pattaya Nua or behind Big-C Sukhumvit right? Where you cook all your own food and as much as you can eat for 1 price?

You are all missing the point, there is a price for Thais & a different price for farangs for the same BBQ meal.

If you are happy with that, fair enough.

The meal is cheap, that isn't the issue here, it is ripping off farangs at every opportunity.

Same as Nong Nuch, a 2 tiered pricing structure.

the issue is "21 Baht = ripping off farangs" cheesy.gif

• Like 1

If I wasn't comfortable with double pricing I wouldn't be living in Thailand to be honest.

Why did you get 2 separate bills anyways? Or was it 1 bill and they just added the extra whatever it was to one person?

I'm not being totally sarcastic but want to know if her/your bill was only for food and you had no drinks etc.? If you had drinks, ice etc. then what is the price just for the BBQ?

once upon a time a husband and his wife went for dinner in a fancy Pattaya restaurant which serves exquisite delicacies but charges exorbitant prices, e.g. AU$4.01 for a lady dinner and AU$ 4.66 for a gentleman dinner. adding insult to injury said fancy restaurant issued separate bills...

av-11672.gif

If the wifey was told you were charged extra for ' foreigner price' thats disgusting and cheers giving everyone the heads up......but there are a few good points on here, did you leave food, which some places do charge for, was there diferent to include seafood?

Well, considering the average 100 kilo + male farang will probably eat at least 3 times as much as the average 45 kilo female Thai, maybe a price differential is not totally unjustified.ermm.gif

If the OP is correct, I suspect there was a menu was in Thai quoting 129 Baht and the menu in English quoting 150 Baht.

TITsmile.png

You have over 7000 posts, so presumably you are VERY familiar with Thai women.

My wife @ 48kg would eat twice the amount I eat & I am 2 times her weight.

She was still chowing down when I was ready to go, they are insatiable with food.

I have no issue if the prices were both 150 baht, it is the 2 tier pricing we need to stamp out.

laugh.png

once upon a time a husband and his wife went for dinner in a fancy Pattaya restaurant which serves exquisite delicacies but charges exorbitant prices, e.g. AU$4.01 for a lady dinner and AU$ 4.66 for a gentleman dinner. adding insult to injury said fancy restaurant issued separate bills...

av-11672.gif

Why were they charged in Australian currency ??

TITsmile.png

You have over 7000 posts, so presumably you are VERY familiar with Thai women.

My wife @ 48kg would eat twice the amount I eat & I am 2 times her weight.

She was still chowing down when I was ready to go, they are insatiable with food.

I have no issue if the prices were both 150 baht, it is the 2 tier pricing we need to stamp out.

Maybe they did a time and motion study and found that on average, most Thai women consume less BBQ than most farangs.

They might have even calculated the average mean difference by adding up the mouthfuls consumed by each gender, after taking into account the different size of Asian mouths versus western mouths; and then procured the services of a Nobel prize winning mathematician to calculate that the projected difference in cost would be in the order of 21 Baht per plate, give or take a few satang.

It might surprise you to know that on more than one occasion I have had Thai women complain when served with Thai food in farang restaurants, as the size of the dishes was much too large, and put them off!!!

But that's a subject for another thread.....

I've actually found the exact opposite (I'm with Robin on this one).

Every Thai female I have ever been out with ate at least twice what I did.

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 1

av-11672.gif

Why were they charged in Australian currency ??

they had a pet kangaroo with them.

I don't think these all-you-can-eat BBQ's have menus?

Most just have a big sign saying 99 baht or 199 baht and then some have the "if you want the seafood menu it is more" and some you can pay an extra 20 baht and they will BBQ a bunch of prawns for you.

I understand that you might be upset with the double pricing thing but you have to get over it. You are ready to give up a great deal on a great BBQ over 29 baht?

Well, considering the average 100 kilo + male farang will probably eat at least 3 times as much as the average 45 kilo female Thai,

Hmmm, have you ever seen the Thais in action at the free salad bar in Sizzlers or Pizzahut where they are allowed to fill one bowl ? biggrin.png Edited by jbrain

Well, considering the average 100 kilo + male farang will probably eat at least 3 times as much as the average 45 kilo female Thai,

Hmmm, have you ever seen the Thais in action at the free salad bar in Sizzlers or Pizzahut where they are allowed to fill one bowl ? biggrin.png

AND will not go home. laugh.png

TITsmile.png

In my experience the 45 kilo Thai lady will easily out eat the 100 kilo farang male. Morning , noon and night without any problem.