Double Pricing Policy In Restaurant

ROBINPATTAYA

think you should think about cambodia! good bye

You should try to keep up. I'm happy with Thailand and dual pricing doesn't bother me...but...why Cambodia? No dual pricing there?

Edited by tropo

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

once upon a time a husband and his wife went for dinner in a fancy Pattaya restaurant which serves exquisite delicacies but charges exorbitant prices, e.g. AU$4.01 for a lady dinner and AU$ 4.66 for a gentleman dinner. adding insult to injury said fancy restaurant issued separate bills...

av-11672.gif

If you could, for once, stop being condescending, you would realize that the issue here is not 21Bor 50B or whatever. The OP has already repeated that it is about double pricing in principle. But I understand it would go against your nature just trying to be kind and to help people even when it would not cost you anything. Trying to be funny on others' expense is just your thing.

Since when was 150 double 129 ????

Tanaka maths? huh.png

If I call it a 2 tiered pricing structure, would it be easier for you two to comprehend? If you cared to read, I said it was about the principle of double pricing, not about satang differencies.

I can't help but feel that some people aren't cut out to live in Thailand.

You got that right. The day I start making a song and dance over 21 baht is the day I should leave Thailand.

Hmmm

Posted 2012-08-27 21:23:33

Foodmart has the most expensive milk in Pattaya. The 0% fat Meiji is a round 90 baht per 2 litre. In Family Marts and 7Elevens it's 84.50 baht.

That's taking the piss (to coin an Australian expression - just for the owner)

Edited by tropo, 2012-08-27 21:24:00.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/478903-foodmart-in-jomtien/page__st__75#entry5610820

• Like 1

You got that right. The day I start making a song and dance over 21 baht is the day I should leave Thailand.

Hmmm

Foodmart has the most expensive milk in Pattaya. The 0% fat Meiji is a round 90 baht per 2 litre. In Family Marts and 7Elevens it's 84.50 baht.

http://www.thaivisa....75#entry5610820

Nice try. Double pricing and overpricing are different issues.

Hmmm

http://www.thaivisa....75#entry5610820

Classic thumbsup.gif

555, good grief, that's 5.5 baht, I'd not darken their doorsteps again....

Would you pay more for a product that is available everywhere else at a cheaper price?... especially when you have to travel further for the more expensive item and most everything else in that particular shop costs more?

That's a no-brainer whether you live in Thailand or anywhere else.

I "darken their doorsteps" once in a blue moon when I'm looking for a product I need at 3am and I can't be bothered riding to Foodland.

Now shouldn't we get back to topic .....

Edited by tropo

So for some posters a difference of 21 ThB is laughable.

For Herr Dr. Naam it seems it must be at least 380.000 ThB for not being laughable.

What difference should be not laughable for other posters ?

a clown who comes up with a certain sum that nobody mentioned is laughable.

come to think of it... whining about a discount of 21 Baht on the price of a lady's "dinner" is not laughable. it's more like "cryable"! bah.gif

• Like 1

If I call it a 2 tiered pricing structure, would it be easier for you two to comprehend? If you cared to read, I said it was about the principle of double pricing, not about satang differencies.

shove your principles. those 21 Baht were not stolen from anybody. from my perspective they were given as a discount.

• Like 2

555, good grief, that's 5.5 baht, I'd not darken their doorsteps again....

Would you pay more for a product that is available everywhere else at a cheaper price?... especially when you have to travel further for the more expensive item and most everything else in that particular shop costs more?

That's a no-brainer whether you live in Thailand or anywhere else.

I "darken their doorsteps" once in a blue moon when I'm looking for a product I need at 3am and I can't be bothered riding to Foodland.

Now shouldn't we get back to topic .....

22174-Yellow-Emoticon-Face-Gritting-His-Teeth-With-Sweat-On-His-Face-Poster-Art-Print.jpg You're right,we should get back on topic biggrin.png

But in this case the menu didn't state any double pricing, the OP got ripped off thinking he was going to pay 129 baht like his wife and not 150. a 16% price increase is not something to take lightly sad.png

the OP was charged the normal price. his "longhaired translator" enjoyed a discount of 14% which was granted as a compensation for her translating efforts.

• Like 2

And just imagine this. If we were in the USA, Australia or the UK for example and you walked into a restaurant and the menu said Local People $20 for a New York Steak and next it it read For Asians $28 for the same steak there would be an outcry of racism, but yeah I guess we are in Thailand and it's ok. Just ask your Thai partners how they would feel having to pay twice as much in farangland for the same meal. Double pricing is just crazy and we should do anything we can to stop it.

your Thai partner might say "solly too mutt dalink that you must pay mutt mo' fo' me."

But in this case the menu didn't state any double pricing, the OP got ripped off thinking he was going to pay 129 baht like his wife and not 150. a 16% price increase is not something to take lightly sad.png

the OP was charged the normal price. his "longhaired translator" enjoyed a discount of 14% which was granted as a compensation for her translating efforts.

twist it, turn it around all you want, the OP was overcharged 21 baht. I will never set foot in this mafia dishonest;low quality food and hygiene dump bah.gif

• Like 1

twist it, turn it around all you want, the OP was overcharged 21 baht. I will never set foot in this mafia dishonest;low quality food and hygiene dump bah.gif

Who's twisting what?

Some think the the long haired person is getting a discount of 14%.

Others think the OP is being charged 16.3% more than Thai customers and being ripped off.

Still others think there is a misunderstanding with the bill and the OP has got it all wrong.

You side with the scenario which you feel gives you an excuse to start damning the business and Thai attitudes in general. I think this says something about your attitude toward Thais. Quite frankly I believe you have a problem.

• Like 1

You side with the scenario which you feel gives you an excuse to start damning the business and Thai attitudes in general. I think this says something about your attitude toward Thais. Quite frankly I believe you have a problem.

I don't side with any scenario, I'm just stating the obvious. Fact is Farang is overcharged (waitress said openly "farang price")

I only have a problem with racist Thais thinking we should pay more only because we are not Thai.

I don't side with any scenario, I'm just stating the obvious. Fact is Farang is overcharged (waitress said openly "farang price")

I only have a problem with racist Thais thinking we should pay more only because we are not Thai.

You're damning a restaurant in the worst possible way based on what the OP says his Thai girlfriend said the waitress said. That doesn't come across as a very credible source of information.

We've never heard a story like this from a restaurant before. Don't you think you should get some positive confirmation before you attack the restaurant?

You're damning a restaurant in the worst possible way based on what the OP says his Thai girlfriend said the waitress said. That doesn't come across as a very credible source of information.

We've never heard a story like this from a restaurant before. Don't you think you should get some positive confirmation before you attack the restaurant?

I think most would restrain from reporting such acts in fear of being flamed and doubted like it happened in this thread. Same happened to the guy reporting the lady cheating on the change at Central SFX movie theater. Both threads ended in OP bashing, cheap charlie name calling and more flames coffee1.gif

• Like 2

I think most would restrain from reporting such acts in fear of being flamed and doubted like it happened in this thread. Same happened to the guy reporting the lady cheating on the change at Central SFX movie theater. Both threads ended in OP bashing, cheap charlie name calling and more flames coffee1.gif

There's plenty of brave people on here. I can't see a dual pricing restaurants escaping comment on here. I'll bet you still have your doubts about this one.

based on your various comments it goes without saying that you can't afford a fancy restaurant which charges a Farang the princely sum of 150 Baht for a single meal.

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

What a joke this is, 21 baht come on.

How is it racist? You go to a gas station in england on the motorway at that gas station you are extorted. You pay stupid prices for food and drink because you are a "traveller". You go into an airport and the same happens, because you are a "traveller". You have no other options but to eat there.

You go for something to eat here and you are overcharged 40 pence because you are a "traveller" and you make it seem as the thais are horrible theiving bastards.

You come to someone elses country, dont speak their language, cant read their writing then complain that they charge you different from their own people.

Next time before you eat why dont you ask how much it is therefore you can decide before you eat if its acceptable or not.

Ive probably been overcharged in lots of places, I just dont care, if the food is nice, people are nice and I think its good value for money I will go again, if not I wont. I paid 3 x the amount to get into the zoo the other day than my wife, I accept it. Its economics, they cant charge that sort of price to locals because the locals cant afford it and if locals dont go and they rely on tourists their business wont last. Keep the locals happy who will come again and again and keep your business going through the low seasons, charge the tourists the price you feel they can afford and is value for money and good for your business overcharge them they wont come back.

That KK zoo was brilliant, I paid 150 baht or something for myself and had a great time. Nongnooch I paid 500 and it was rubbish in comparison, cant remember what I paid for underwater world but I have seen better shows on in the pet shops selling goldfish.

KK zoo, as I said I paid more than my wife, it was great and I would go again, nongnooch rubbish more expensive, I paid a lot more than my wife and I wont go again, same for underwater world.

Did you enjoy the food? Was it value for money? If yes who cares if you paid 21 baht more go again enjoy yourself. If the answer is no dont go back and if you really miss 21 baht and cant afford that sort of loss then please go tell the tourist police how you have been robbed.

• Like 2

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

What a joke this is, 21 baht come on.

How is it racist? You go to a gas station in england on the motorway at that gas station you are extorted. You pay stupid prices for food and drink because you are a "traveller". You go into an airport and the same happens, because you are a "traveller". You have no other options but to eat there.

You go for something to eat here and you are overcharged 40 pence because you are a "traveller" and you make it seem as the thais are horrible theiving bastards.

So........They have 2 tierd pricing now on Englands motorway gasstations and at their airports?

Unbelievable !!!!!!!!

Tonight i verified the original poster being overcharged. I had my wife check if the advertised price said thai only and it did not. We did ask if there was any additional charges for uneaten food etc. This is when the waitress said falangs pay more.... I personally dont like the idea it is kept a secret...

If you look closely you can see the advertised price at the bottom of the sign

20120926_185222.jpg

20120926_185231.jpg

• Like 2

Tonight i verified the original poster being overcharged. I had my wife check if the advertised price said thai only and it did not. We did ask if there was any additional charges for uneaten food etc. This is when the waitress said falangs pay more.... I personally dont like the idea it is kept a secret...

If you look closely you can see the advertised price at the bottom of the sign

20120926_185222.jpg

20120926_185231.jpg

Thank you for taking the time to pursue this.

• Like 1

based on your various comments it goes without saying that you can't afford a fancy restaurant which charges a Farang the princely sum of 150 Baht for a single meal.

Naam, what is wrong? What happened? That comment is just not your style.

There's plenty of brave people on here. I can't see a dual pricing restaurants escaping comment on here. I'll bet you still have your doubts about this one.

I hope you have read the latest posts.

Sorry for your loss of face!

I hope you have read the latest posts.

Sorry for your loss of face!

Just read it now - thanks. Perhaps they prefer to keep Farang away. It would be interesting to see what they'd have to say if someone mentioned that it has been advertised on a major forum that Farang are being charged more and how fast the word is spreading... and how angry many of them are.

BTW, I don't care about my face - we're all faceless on here.

Edited by tropo