Phuket Provincial Hospital

Old Croc

The Provincial Hospital is Phuket's newest having opened just last year.

Today, several online blogs and newspapers have launched a big publicity push for the hospital which is situated east of Phuket City.

Several local Hon Consuls have supported this publicity with quite high praise.

Prices are apparently cheaper than the other International hospitals and they seem to be targeting expats as a customer base.

The Australian HC also pointed out that people on retirement visas can get reasonably priced medical insurance direct from the hospital.

Does anyone on the forum have any experience or knowledge of this hospital, it's services, prices and insurance?

Edited by Old Croc

The Australian HC also pointed out that people on retirement visas can get reasonably priced medical insurance direct from the hospital.

I would not recommend that, there is a huge conflict of interest waiting to happen.

I would not recommend that, there is a huge conflict of interest waiting to happen.

Care to explain that comment stevenl.

I assume this is the old Pra Thai hospital (or some name like that) that closed many many years ago going bankrupt. And was bought by the Phuket Town tesibaan.

Care to explain that comment stevenl.

I assume this is the old Pra Thai hospital (or some name like that) that closed many many years ago going bankrupt. And was bought by the Phuket Town tesibaan.

When the doctor says 'stay' or 'we need this expensive examination', etc., the hospital has an interest to say ''go home' or 'that examination is not necessary' because they have an interest to keep the expenses down because they have to pay for it themselves via their own insurance.

Normally their is a clear division between hospital/medical staff and insurance company, here that division is non existent or far smaller.

I've switched my social security right from Mission Hospital to Phuket Provincial Hospital for a bit more than a year now and I can tell you that I am very happy with their services; the place is also cleaner and much more welcoming than Vachira and/or Mission hospital, less crowded too.

• Like 1

Just read a few articles, and regarding the medical insurance all I could find was this announcement by Larry Cunningham "In the future, when people on retirement visas here will need medical insurance, it is something that the hospital will be able to provide at a reasonable rate for retirees living in Phuket".

where is it exactly? sounds interesting.

i went into Vicharat a few weeks ago for a skin thing, they wanted me to see a general GP first, no idea why, i was fine. when i saw the line for the GP, it looked like half of phuket was in there, i gave up. if i'd have waited i'd probably still be in the waiting room today.

I agree.

Unless, the Australian HC meant that the hospital is simply an agent for the insurance company, and you can purchase your policy at the hospital. However, TIT, so, maybe the hospital is directly insuring people, in which case, the conflict of interest you mention is definately possible.

If you needed serious medical attention, such as an operation or long term treatment, I could see that it would be in the financial interest of the hospital to give you two asprin tablets and send you home, because this would be a lot cheaper for them than actually treating you.

Have you personally checked the insurance available from the hospital Steven or is it just your opinion without checking

Have you personally checked the insurance available from the hospital Steven or is it just your opinion without checking

See my post number 7 Peter. But the principle is very easy: if the hospital is also the one bearing the risk there is a conflict of interest. Has nothing to do with my opinion, is a simple fact.

See my post number 7 Peter. But the principle is very easy: if the hospital is also the one bearing the risk there is a conflict of interest. Has nothing to do with my opinion, is a simple fact.

I do not think a consul would miss inform expats it makes no sense,The private hospital i went to definitely has duel pricing for expats and Thais, if the hospital can arrange reasonably priced insurance good on them it is available in private hospitals in other countries,they just want you insured to cover there expenses not to rip you off they charge extra for expats already

I have not seen anyone saying the hospital carries the insurance themselves, they would use a independent insurance company

Edited by petercallen

I do not think a consul would miss inform expats it makes no sense,The private hospital i went to definitely has duel pricing for expats and Thais, if the hospital can arrange reasonably priced insurance good on them it is available in private hospitals in other countries,they just want you insured to cover there expenses not to rip you off they charge extra for expats already

I have not seen anyone saying the hospital carries the insurance themselves, they would use a independent insurance company

It happens all the time Peter that people misinform others based on wrong information or wrong perceptions.

So you know hospitals that also carry the risk for their own insurances? Please let us have websites/names, because that would be very unusual, and as mentioned be a big conflict of interest.

It happens all the time Peter that people misinform others based on wrong information or wrong perceptions.

So you know hospitals that also carry the risk for their own insurances? Please let us have websites/names, because that would be very unusual, and as mentioned be a big conflict of interest.

I never said hospitals anywhere carry there own insurance they use independent insurance companies who will give the hospital good cover at a reasonable rate to get all there business if they can

I never said hospitals anywhere carry there own insurance they use independent insurance companies who will give the hospital good cover at a reasonable rate to get all there business if they can

Ah, so now you're saying something different from the original OP to which I reacted.

In post #7, to which I referred you earlier already, I stated what LC said. which is ambiguous. Since it is unclear what the hospitals intentions are I refrained from more comments, but not having complete information apparently does not stop you from suggesting things here.

Ah, so now you're saying something different from the original OP to which I reacted.

In post #7, to which I referred you earlier already, I stated what LC said. which is ambiguous. Since it is unclear what the hospitals intentions are I refrained from more comments, but not having complete information apparently does not stop you from suggesting things here.

Some people should get a life, not you of coarse

Hmm…so now they want more publicity! Last year I experienced the opposite when I used their rehabilitation centre over a couple of months. In clear text some employees did not want me to promote some of their treatment procedures and price to foreigners because it was so cheap compare to what you eventually pay in a private hospital but the Governor did not allow them to set up the prices due to be a Government hospital and used foremost by the local Thais.

No one seems to know what insurance product is actually on offer.

Is it a cheap medical insurance policy or is it a 'season ticket' to use the hospital's facilities?

If anyone finds out please post on this thread.

Edited by madmitch

can someone please tell me where it is, maybe a google map link or something useful like that

thanks

http://www.phuketcityhospital.org/en/index.php

18, 20 Anuphas Road., Taladyai, Muang, Phuket 83000

Tel.076-368888 International Extension - 2197 PPH

Emergency Hotline 1131

post-18822-0-92410500-1348553201_thumb.j

Just gained entry to the Web page, it is in Thai and also English, unfortunately while it does give prices Etc in Thai, it does not in English.

can someone please tell me where it is, maybe a google map link or something useful like that

thanks

http://www.phuketcit...rg/en/index.php

Emergency Hotline 1131

Just gained entry to the Web page, it is in Thai and also English, unfortunately while it does give prices Etc in Thai, it does not in English.

Yes, I had the same trouble, it's a crap web site.

Emergency Hotline 1131

Niether the 076 number nor the emergency number on their website works. The website is not 100% working either. Does anyone have any contact info that does work?

Though Thailand hospitals seem to be very accommodating to walk-in patients, I would still perfer to call and make an appointment.

Emergency Hotline 1131

Niether the 076 number nor the emergency number on their website works. The website is not 100% working either. Does anyone have any contact info that does work?

Though Thailand hospitals seem to be very accommodating to walk-in patients, I would still perfer to call and make an appointment.

Try ringing 076 212000

That number was in the PG article.

Emergency Hotline 1131

Just tried their emergency number, 1131 is working.

thanks

http://www.phuketcit...rg/en/index.php

Emergency Hotline 1131

Yes, I had the same trouble, it's a crap web site.

http://www.phuketcityhospital.org/index.php?page=room

Maybe the site is not perfect IMHO but the place is preferable to other " rip of hospitals " with beautiful web sites, a scale of fees and " extras " resembling telephone numbers, afternoon orchestra in the foyer, and crap medical care / diagnosis.

This is from my own personal experience at Phuket International and Bangkok Phuket hospitals as an in patient as well as being a witness to a friends passing over a period of 3 weeks from a terminal illness in the care of Phuket Provincial. The whole overall impression was care first, money second, They even organised the funeral arrangements FOC.

I have not had the occasion to test drive them myself but would have no problem doing so if I needed hospital care.

I had no problem with the English version. Using chrome browser.

Room. patients.

Hospital Phuket Provincial Administration Organization. Offers rooms with modern facilities to ensure that patients choose according to their needs and budget. Starting from budget rooms, 2 double rooms, VIP rooms until all have been designed to give you maximum comfort and safety. There was also a nurse, and you can choose from as well

Rate. room per day.

Double rooms + restaurant. 800 Baht ( I think they mean + food)

Single rooms + restaurant. 1800 THB

Available in VIP. 2800 THB

Room - Children's ward. 300 Baht

Room or nursery. 300 Baht

Patient Room ICU. 2000 THB

ICU rooms Commissioner, Social Security, SSO, FL. 600 Baht

Rooms ordinary men - women. 300 Baht

Double room + extra for civil servants. 600 Baht

Just love the bottom line of the page tho.............

​Are they saying they have Draught whatever on tap or that there is a financial connection between them ??

© 2555, hospitals are linked to the Phuket Brewery.

18th, 20th Anuphas Road Talad Yai, Muang Phuket, Phuket 83000 Tel: 076 358888 Fax: 076 354817 Hotline: 1131.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone used the hospital or got insurance there,We did not bother renewing my wife's medical insurance because it only fully covered you to a certain extent if you stayed in the hospital not as a out patient, then the cover was useless

Couldn't you have added out-patient cover to your policy, most Insurance companies (Thai / Foreign) offer this option.