Trying To Buy Stuff Online. Hopeless!

I suspect you trying to use a credit card issued by a bank in your home country? This will look like fraud if the credit card is being used from within Thailand / Thai IP address instead of the "home country" and registered address for the card.

Open a Thai bank account, and get an ATM / debit card that has a CVV security code and can be used online. I have "Be 1st " from Bangkok Bank and it works fine every time. Thai card, Thai IP address, Thai shipping destination.

• Like 1

Call your bank, let them know where you are and they'll open the door.

100% correct, I have to call my banks every 3 months to update them on my whereabouts. The "Verified by Visa" & Mastercard thingy are smart, one call and just say you're out of the country on business AND WILL BE RETURNING on XX. Don't tell them you live in Thailand they'll freak.

• Like 1

100% correct, I have to call my banks every 3 months to update them on my whereabouts. The "Verified by Visa" & Mastercard thingy are smart, one call and just say you're out of the country on business AND WILL BE RETURNING on XX. Don't tell them you live in Thailand they'll freak.

Interestingly I think these fraud detection algorithms work by detecting deviations from usual patterns. So, I opened a Capital One credit card a few months ago and have used it only here in Thailand. They have never asked questions or frozen my card, even though my address of record is a US address.

I have numerous credit cards from US banks. I have informed them that I live in Thailand, and changed my address to reflect that. None have freaked. I use the cards constantly without problems, online and in stores.

Edited by curtklay

My card bounces around south east asia and gets accepted everywhere plus I do a fair bit of internet shopping.But at the start (years ago)I had to ring the bank and unblock.

They called me once about 1 minute after I bought a plane ticket online.

If my card gets frauded they will never pick it up

These days I prefer to use paypal. So my credit card isn't on too many databases

Edited by eeeya

I hate PayPal. I have no problem at all making internet purchases with a US credit card from Thailand for delivery TO A US ADDRESS. Then I have a friend forward to me by POST. I do it all the time. If there is any kind of snag, PayPal is the fall back.

I only tried purchasing online in Thailand a couple of times and, though ultimately successful, it was such a pain in the ass that it simply wasn't worth the headache.

Interestingly I think these fraud detection algorithms work by detecting deviations from usual patterns. So, I opened a Capital One credit card a few months ago and have used it only here in Thailand. They have never asked questions or frozen my card, even though my address of record is a US address.

I've been using a CapOne credit card (no foreign transaction fee and pays 2%/1% cash back) here in Bangkok/Thailand for approx 18 months....never a problem...knock on wood. About 95% of its use is here in Thailand...from day one of receiving the card...and its never been refused nor has CapOne asked about my location. The other 5% is online/Ebay type buys paid via PayPal with the CapOne card being the funding source. I use it for as many buys/day-to-day living cost items as possible since no foreign fee is applied and I get cash back on my purchase...it's great getting 2% cash back for my Chang beer buys at Lotus/Big C. In fact, all my Lotus/Big C buys earn me 2% cash back; other purchases like petrol, medical, restaurants, hardware stores, etc., earn me 1% cash back.

Edited by Pib

I hate PayPal. I have no problem at all making internet purchases with a US credit card from Thailand for delivery TO A US ADDRESS. Then I have a friend forward to me by POST. I do it all the time. If there is any kind of snag, PayPal is the fall back.

I only tried purchasing online in Thailand a couple of times and, though ultimately successful, it was such a pain in the ass that it simply wasn't worth the headache.

I have recently started using PayPal and though I have only made 5 transactions so far I have had no problems at all.

I use a KbanK debit card linked to my single name Kbank account which only has enough money to pay for what I order and I top it up as required.

Within a minute of confirming any PayPal purchase I get an SMS on my mobile phone.

If I get an SMS when I haven't ordered anything (not happened so far) I can get straight onto PayPal and chase it up.

To me it has made my life so much easier and cheaper.

I've been using a CapOne credit card (no foreign transaction fee and pays 2%/1% cash back) here in Bangkok/Thailand for approx 18 months....never a problem...knock on wood. About 95% of its use is here in Thailand...from day one of receiving the card...and its never been refused nor has CapOne asked about my location. The other 5% is online/Ebay type buys paid via PayPal with the CapOne card being the funding source. I use it for as many buys/day-to-day living cost items as possible since no foreign fee is applied and I get cash back on my purchase...it's great getting 2% cash back for my Chang beer buys at Lotus/Big C. In fact, all my Lotus/Big C buys earn me 2% cash back; other purchases like petrol, medical, restaurants, hardware stores, etc., earn me 1% cash back.

I also use CapOne Visa for almost everything with no problems. The money back and the no foreign transaction fee are big benefits. My only issue is they won't send renewal cards to my Thai address. When my card expires, I have to have them send the new card to a friend in the US who forwards it to me. It's a pain, and I have discussed it with them but they won't budge. They have no problem with me living here or using the card in Thailand, but won't send me a new one. All my other credit cards do send new cards to my Thai address.

I also use CapOne Visa for almost everything with no problems. The money back and the no foreign transaction fee are big benefits. My only issue is they won't send renewal cards to my Thai address. When my card expires, I have to have them send the new card to a friend in the US who forwards it to me. It's a pain, and I have discussed it with them but they won't budge. They have no problem with me living here or using the card in Thailand, but won't send me a new one. All my other credit cards do send new cards to my Thai address.

Do they send new cards by currier, or by snailmail ?? does it cost you to have cards sent to Thailand ??

Some online vendors, particularly in the US, use IP tracking and either decline the purchase or hold the purchase until you call and confirm. All for your own protection but sometimes a chore if you are in a hurry. If you set up an account with the likes of GoTrusted, you can then have a temporary US, UK or European IP address and bypass the security checks.

I have recently started using PayPal and though I have only made 5 transactions so far I have had no problems at all.

I use a KbanK debit card linked to my single name Kbank account which only has enough money to pay for what I order and I top it up as required.

Within a minute of confirming any PayPal purchase I get an SMS on my mobile phone.

If I get an SMS when I haven't ordered anything (not happened so far) I can get straight onto PayPal and chase it up.

To me it has made my life so much easier and cheaper.

I agree Paypal is the way to go no problems for me.

Open a Thai bank account, and get an ATM / debit card that has a CVV security code and can be used online. I have "Be 1st " from Bangkok Bank and it works fine every time. Thai card, Thai IP address, Thai shipping destination.

I have this; Visa Electron Debit card from KBank with CVV code. It has never, ever worked for buying stuff on the Internet, both Thai websites, and International websites. Even though there is plenty of money, the card never passes.

I suspect you trying to use a credit card issued by a bank in your home country? This will look like fraud if the credit card is being used from within Thailand / Thai IP address instead of the "home country" and registered address for the card.

I use a UK issued credit card here and have done so for several years never a problem ( halifax MC ) I also have a couple from Bangkok Bank where they have to send you a one trime pass word on mobile phone when you try to make a purchase a total pain and I gave up on it. However I have found that some companies will not ship goods to Thailand period due to the chances of theft and please dont rant on you have never had anything stolen from the mail, I have.