Moving To Chiang Mai With Little Kids

m3773a

Thanks everyone for all the info and tips, very useful.

We aren't missionaries and will not have all expenses paid by anyone. A little background on us, I have moved to the US (FLA) from Hungary many many years ago and my husband is from the UK. We are over living in Florida, we have no family here, schools aren't very good, even private ones. So we have decided to move to the UK, our kids will be able to grow up closer to all my husbands family, and the schools are way better. Before we make the move there we want to have an adventure and a different experience. Once the girls get to the age of 10 it will be hard to move them out of their school where they will make friends, they would be able to fight us on it. Now they are little, they go with the flow so we have a few years to try something different before we move to the UK.

We both have traveled a lot, been to Asia but never to Thailand, I moved to the US without knowing what I was doing and I was fine, I know US is different from Thailand but I did not speak any English and everything was new to me, so I think I will be ok moving to CM.

I'm doing a lot of research , talking to people, posting on here so I can get prepared and have as much info as I can so I don't think I'm irresponsible for moving my whole family to a country I have never been to, I won't be the first one to do this. We still have plenty of time, the move won't be till June, have to wait till my daughter finishes her first year of preschool.

I'm hoping to find a house to rent near the school so I won't even need a car, eliminates the fear of driving on the left side and dealing with the motor bikes, even tho I do ok driving in the crazy Miami traffic.

30,000 is just a price we can afford but if we can find something for a lot less and still be comfortable then I would be very happy. We have been looking online and 30,000 is the amount we see for an average 3 bedroom home but haven't found anything close to Laana School. It is still about 4 times less than a house rents where we live, I'm prepared to pay a bit more and be"ripped off" a little till we learn out way around but as I said its still cheaper than living here.

The Internet is one big factor for us as I mentioned so my husband can work, so if someone has any info on a reliable ISP or the best areas to get better speed or even a T1 line I would really appreciate the info.

Thanks do much again for all the help and tips.

Grace international might interest you as its smack in the middle of a gated community as a lot of the students live in that gated community. Its a christian based school so not sure how that would play for you but I see many kids ride bikes to and from school. The housing there might be a bit on the higher side BUT its well in reach of you budget of 30K, you can probably get a decent 1500-2000sqft 3 bdrm house.

Grace is about 1-2 miles from Lanna.

World Land Club is the community name.

Someone mentioned a gated community near Lanna but not sure how close or hows its situated.

EDIT: I failed to mention that Grace might start at Kindergarten and up..however within walking distance there is a preschool called APIS kindergarten.

Edited by tangcoral

Thanks everyone for all the info and tips, very useful.

We aren't missionaries and will not have all expenses paid by anyone. A little background on us, I have moved to the US (FLA) from Hungary many many years ago and my husband is from the UK. We are over living in Florida, we have no family here, schools aren't very good, even private ones. So we have decided to move to the UK, our kids will be able to grow up closer to all my husbands family, and the schools are way better. Before we make the move there we want to have an adventure and a different experience. Once the girls get to the age of 10 it will be hard to move them out of their school where they will make friends, they would be able to fight us on it. Now they are little, they go with the flow so we have a few years to try something different before we move to the UK.

We both have traveled a lot, been to Asia but never to Thailand, I moved to the US without knowing what I was doing and I was fine, I know US is different from Thailand but I did not speak any English and everything was new to me, so I think I will be ok moving to CM.

I'm doing a lot of research , talking to people, posting on here so I can get prepared and have as much info as I can so I don't think I'm irresponsible for moving my whole family to a country I have never been to, I won't be the first one to do this. We still have plenty of time, the move won't be till June, have to wait till my daughter finishes her first year of preschool.

I'm hoping to find a house to rent near the school so I won't even need a car, eliminates the fear of driving on the left side and dealing with the motor bikes, even tho I do ok driving in the crazy Miami traffic.

30,000 is just a price we can afford but if we can find something for a lot less and still be comfortable then I would be very happy. We have been looking online and 30,000 is the amount we see for an average 3 bedroom home but haven't found anything close to Laana School. It is still about 4 times less than a house rents where we live, I'm prepared to pay a bit more and be"ripped off" a little till we learn out way around but as I said its still cheaper than living here.

The Internet is one big factor for us as I mentioned so my husband can work, so if someone has any info on a reliable ISP or the best areas to get better speed or even a T1 line I would really appreciate the info.

Thanks do much again for all the help and tips.

Welcome to Chiang Mai I know a little early but we can do with more people who have a positive attitude. Please hurry over here.

It would seem that no one knows any more than I do about where to go for a good internet. I believe they have a tech. forum some place here on Thai Visa maybe you can receive more help there.

Grace international might interest you as its smack in the middle of a gated community as a lot of the students live in that gated community. Its a christian based school so not sure how that would play for you but I see many kids ride bikes to and from school. The housing there might be a bit on the higher side BUT its well in reach of you budget of 30K, you can probably get a decent 1500-2000sqft 3 bdrm house.

Grace is about 1-2 miles from Lanna.

World Land Club is the community name.

Someone mentioned a gated community near Lanna but not sure how close or hows its situated.

EDIT: I failed to mention that Grace might start at Kindergarten and up..however within walking distance there is a preschool called APIS kindergarten.

Since the OP said she is moving to the UK, she probably chose Lanna because it follows a UK curriculum.

Yes we picked Laana because of the British curriculum but the quality of the school and locations are more important, we aren't set on Laana 100%, we are going to research the other schools too. We looked at the American school too but on the map it liked further out of town which we didn't like.

Tommo, no we won't rent from a website, we are just looking online to see what's out there but I' m sure the prices are cheaper in person.

Yes I still speak Hungarian, don't use it tho, have a friend here from Hungary and when we meet I talk to her in English and she talks to me in Hungarian, its faster for me but I'm sure if I practiced it would all come back.

Hi,

Our children have been at Lanna since we arrived in Thailand 4 years ago. We couldn't be more pleased with their progress, both academically and socially. I'm so impressed with teaching staff, who as well as achieving great exam results, (which I guess will be on their website) also make classes interesting and exciting........my children actually describe what they do in school with great enthusiasm.....instead of the "can't remember" which I used to hear at the end of their UK school day.

I love it that all religions and cultures are catered for at Lanna and that there is an emphasis on community work, and many extra curricular activities such as a camping trip, which looks brilliant and which the teachers appear to be organising in their spare time. There are also regular school plays in both primary and secondary school.....several school bands,who are supported by a semmingly tireless music teacher, a strong commitment to sustainable living.......I could go on but won't now!

There is great parent/teacher communication and I particularly appreciate the parent teacher meetings about each individual child.......and the parents meetings during which subject teachers talk about how best we can help and support our kids with various aspects of both school and homework.

The campus needs some work, it's not one of the 'rich' schools' in terms of a beautiful building........but te quality of both the teaching and extra curricular activities.....more than makes up for that.

I'm happy to talk further if you want to e-mail me at [email protected]

As for housing.......we will be moving from a three bedroom house shortly...(only because we want a slightly bigger one) and we got a good deal from the landlady. Happy to put you in touch. A lot of the sgents can be helpful up to a point, but getting a taxi driver or even better a registered Thai guide to drive you round looking for 'to let ' signs has always worked better for us. I know someone good who may be able to help if he's not too busy...or recommend someone.

There are some great Moo Baans (gated communities) within a short distance of Lanna, our kids cycle.....but there are also school buses. Check out Siwalee Rachapruak, (where we live now) and Baan Nai Fun 3 which we are moving to. Quite a lot of children from the school live on both.....and both would suit your budget.

Do write privately if you'd like more information.......I know a great English speaking doctor for example........and the memory of moving here with little support is still fresh enough in my mind to want to help new people.

We have been alerted to some activity on this thread about our school and thank the positive contributors 'out there'.

Lanna International School is the only accredited British based curriculum international school in Northern Thailand.

We have just received our Primary School results for the Cambridge Primary programme and are very proud of the achievements of our Year 6 students and teachers. These are externally marked assessment standards and are in no way massaged to mislead. All of our students participate in these examinations.

77% of our students scored a result in the top 2 of 6 English levels - this included students who are not native English speaking; 67% scored a result in the top 2 of 6 levels for Mathematics; and 55% of students scored the very top level for Science.

Further to this, our high school students achieved a remarkable 94.5% 'A' level pass rate, and an 84% 'IGCSE' pass rate! These have been our best results ever and are again opening university doors for our students all over the world.

For more information on why Lanna is a great place to be, please have a look at our website at www.lannaist.ac.th